• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta Players: Is "Revolutionary" and "Game Changer" accurate?

DryvBy

Now that I've had a good bit of time with the game, trying out all the modes, I can safely say this is a load of fun for people that love shooters. But where I differ are the people claiming "revolutionary" and "game changer".

To me, it's fun and a blast to play but a lot different than what I thought it was going to be. Not revolutionary but a solid shooter with a few new and old things.

What's TitanGAF think?

solarus

It definitely freshens up the tired conventional cod gameplay most FPS shooters have cloned and it's a tonne of fun.
Not sure about revolutionary.

Darksol

It's fun, but nothing revolutionary or game changing. I'm actually still waiting to see whether or not there's a fallout with the casual consumer over this being a multiplayer only game. I go back and forth on whether or not I think it'll make a difference.

I think Titanfall will sell well, primarily on the 360 though. But I don't see it being a game changer.

Soi-Fong

Like I said in the impressions thread yesterday, this game is plenty of fun, but not revolutionary or "godly" as the media and various gaffers have put it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
If it is, it's in the bad direction for competitive shooters.

Fodder and giant mechs are fun and all, but it is to CoD as CoD was to Counter-Strike.

Elitist attitude or whatever, it doesn't change the fact it's evokes the competitive spirit, while pooping all over an even ground necessary for competitiveness.

Amir0x

Banned
Not even remotely. Even if I loved every last aspect of the game, virtually none of it is revolutionary even in combination. That doesn't mean it isn't fun though.

Iorv3th

Just a fast paced shooter with mechs. It's fun but nothing revolutionary or game changing about it. Fun but don't know if it will last people as long as a CoD or battlefield does.

No. It's a fun game, but it is not going to affect any future games. If I'm wrong and every multiplayer FPS from now on is going to have a completely braindead AI mixed in so bad players can feel good, I'm going to be pissed.

Game was fun for the first 5 minutes. Then it got boring quite fast. I thought it was Cod with mechs, and it is Cod with mechs.

Nothing revolutionary about it.

Alx

I don't see anything revolutionary either, but it's a great game. Quite similar to how Gears of War wasn't revolutionary either at the time, but well designed and full of ideas that influenced the genre.

Both terms are reflective in nature and as such neither can be applied right now.

If the game is successful, wins some GoTY awards, and 2 years from now FPS developers are designing their games to be more fast-twitch and fast-paced because it's what the people seem to want more of, we'll probably be able to look back at Titanfall's success as a big reason why and perhaps such terms may be applicable. Until then, wait and see.

I thought it was Cod with mechs, and it is Cod with mechs.
Not even remotely.

kaskade

In some ways yes. I feel like most people think about the titans, but the movement is the real winner for the me.

Now obviously this is only from playing two maps so who knows. I do think it's a great start for the first in a series. Titanfall 2 is going to be pretty crazy once they figure out what works and what needs fixing up.

Sean

Banned
I wouldn't call it revolutionary but all the parkour/traversal stuff definitely feels very fresh to me. It's going to be hard going back to other FPS after playing this.

Super fun game.

Amir0x

Banned
Judging a game from a beta are we?

What aspects that are in the final game do you think would change anyone's perspective on this specific question? All the foundation is there to make a fair assessment on this score. It may be the most fun game ever made, but it ain't revolutionary and it ain't a game changer.

Overdoziz

Banned
I think it's fun, but not quite as amazing as some people who played it at events claimed it was. Personally I still have some issues with the game. I don't enjoy playing in Titans as much as I thought I would, the random burn cards can screw you over sometimes and the art style makes the game look like a busy mess which I'm not a fan of.

I still enjoy just capturing territories with my Titan following me around a lot in that domination gametype. Doubt I'll buy it at full price, though. Especially with Dark Souls 2 on the horizon.

Now that I've had a good bit of time with the game, trying out all the modes, I can safely say this is a load of fun for people that love shooters. But where I differ are the people claiming "revolutionary" and "game changer".

To me, it's fun and a blast to play but a lot different than what I thought it was going to be. Not revolutionary but a solid shooter with a few new and old things.

What's TitanGAF think?

First, you have to give examples of who said "revolutionary", or "game changer".

From the first trailer people said it looked awesome, fun as hell. But I don't remember "game changer!". It was always CoD with mechs and parkour.

Top Bottom