• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta Players: Is "Revolutionary" and "Game Changer" accurate?

not revolutionary or game changing- but easily the most polished/best Beta for a MP only game I have ever played, and also my current favorite game on Xbox One, and its still just a damn demo

N.Domixis

Banned
Take a look at Microsoft's press release for January NPD quoting members of the press:

The game is fun to be sure if you're into that sort of thing, but there's such a self-perpetuating amount of excessive media driven hype for this game that it's comical to watch. After playing the game for myself I could see why people might find it fun if they're into that sort of competitive FPS that coddles skill-less players, but I do not at all understand the effusive nonsense coming out of every orifice over it. There's literally virtually nothing remarkable about it other than it being a lot of fun for people, every gameplay element has been done before in some form elsewhere and sometimes much better elsewhere :p

Microsoft is just desperate and is is trying to make this game sound like its the most revolutionary thing in the history of games to sell their console.

I cant get over the bot thing, someone said look at it as a moba but no, dont you want every person to be human in these games, I dont understand how people would enjoy that.

This game is not the next big thing I don't think. The skill ceiling isn't totally low but I haven't been satisfied by many of my kills! The AIs are fucking stupid and while the mobility is AMAZING the shooting (and its forgivingness) falls flat imo

I do know one thing though. Just like how CoD changed the FPS model by being able to snap lock onto enemies when looking down sites, this game will force other FPS games to employ some type of double jump / wall running system lol.

The freedom of movement in Titanfall is pretty fun. I find myself during Attrition within the city just seeing how long I can run along buildings and double jump from building to building without stopping, completely ignoring the combat going on around me lol. But then when you start to add fighting to the ability to perform free movement like that, pretty cool stuff.

Zornack

I cant get over the bot thing, someone said look at it as a moba but no, dont you want every person to be human in these games, I dont understand how people would enjoy that.

Same here, I hate how 50% of my kills are bots. And it's not just that they're bots, it's that there's no way to tell if they're players or enemies at a distance and how they don't even fight back a little.

I'm not enjoying TF so much so I'm automatically in the "not revolutionary" camp.

DryvBy

First, you have to give examples of who said "revolutionary", or "game changer".

From the first trailer people said it looked awesome, fun as hell. But I don't remember "game changer!". It was always CoD with mechs and parkour.

For mainstream media.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/staying-in/video-games/titanfall---video-game-review-2241455
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/09/01/titanfall-could-be-a-game-changer/

Thought I read or heard that from a gaming website too but I might be wrong.

And you can search around for people that have watched trailers in comments and say exactly "game changer" and "revolutionary". I'm mainly referring to various people that made those claims.

Some innovative things, sure. Not revolutionary. A lot of fun though.
One of the best games I have played in a long while. I can't wait to get a team of 6 rocking these maps. Revolutionary? Um no. I think this drives a wedge into the COD formula which is good for our industry. This takes a similar formula um about 10 notches so competitive players and casuals will migrate to this game and maybe COD will have less a creative hold on shooters. I would love to see more competitive arena shooters like Unreal tournament and hopefully Halo can return to its glory days. I would love more variety. Maybe I'm completely wrong but I think this could split the COD playerbase at least.

Dysun

Not even close, it's a fast paced shooter with bots, mechs, and wall running/double jump. I played it for 2 hours last night and another 2 today but my opinion is the same. Just another game

Amir0x

Banned
It will cause games to have them. Quote me on it. The success of titanfall will cause multiplayer heavy games that previously had single and multiplayer to take the titanfall route.

I will. But there were multiplayer only shooters before with stories and there will be ones after. The real question is only if they will be more frequent on consoles, and I don't think it's a particularly daring bet to say "of course", because online gaming becomes more important as every year goes by. So naturally you're going to have a higher amount of instances of multiplayer only games.

Titanfall has done nothing revolutionary on this score that hasn't been done dozens of times before, so I'm not sure why Titanfall is suddenly going to be the one to set the match.

entremet

So who is calling it a game changer. I haven't read that anywhere.

I see your reply.

But amongst the gaming media, I haven't see it called revolutionary at all.

It's a good game

But you should stop reading Polygon and believing Arthur/Kuchera's lies

Where did either call it a game changer or revolutionary? Or are you making stuff up?

Kade

And you can search around for people that have watched trailers in comments and say exactly "game changer" and "revolutionary". I'm mainly referring to various people that made those claims.

Come on man, you know better than to put importance on comments sections.

Yaari

It's fun but thats it IMO. X1 graphics are meh, and I hate how they want to appeal to beginners with the auto aim weapons.

I don't know why it was showered in awards. I'll buy it though because its fun, but its not revolutionary at all.

My wife got into the beta (she always beats me getting into betas... same for ESO :( )

Her impressions:

Wall running is a blast
The movement/parkour style is fun but can get a little nauseating/wild at times.
The mechs are cool but in the end kind of feel like a big version of a regular soldier type person (not sure how to describe this).
Nice graphics, but nothing extraordinary. Definitely can see the Source engine in it.
Could have had a great SP campaign with mech battles/wars but the multiplayer is definitely fun.
Long-term playability heavily rests on their map-making abilities as the progression system and size of the battles limits unique experiences one might find in say, BF4.

This is all on PC btw.

It is different to what has become the norm, but i don't feel it is revolutionary or game changer.

It is fun none the less. A bit on the side of not challenging enough, but good none the less.

If i had one suggestion to respawn I would suggest an increase to 8 v 8 and increase the skill of the AI. They don't have to be dark bots good, but at least have them pose some threat.

I look forward to the full game.

Hoo-doo

Banned
No. Not even for a FPS.

Good thing a game don't has to classify as either of these terms to be fun to play.
It won't set the world on fire.

Green Yoshi

It is a nice game and better than the F2P-Shooters on the market, but it isn't a revolution. Personally, I won't pay 60 Euro for a multiplayer-only game.

If you miss games like Unreal Tournament and Quake, you should buy it.

Kinyou

It feels very fresh compared to most FPSs. Don't know about revolutionary, but I can see it replacing one of the big mainstream FPS franchises

Its like they wanted to keep the faster, tighter, smaller scale gameplay of the COD games but add some of the chaotic vehicle based action of the Battlefield or Halo games but without it turning into a shit show like those games often do.

I would say they succeeded in doing exactly that. Wouldn't call it a revaluation. Its like saying Uncharted Multiplayer is a revaluation over Gears of War because its a little faster and you can climb stuff.

iMax

Why for an FPS? Because of the parkour and mechs?

Not just that, they've completely changed the entire gameplay loop from 'shoot', 'die', 'respawn' that has become so stale in the genre.

So many little things contribute to how much better it plays than other shooters. Everything from the whole 'Doomed Titan' mechanic to the Epilogue. So much to love. And it's very accessible too.

Bombless

Now that I've had a good bit of time with the game, trying out all the modes, I can safely say this is a load of fun for people that love shooters. But where I differ are the people claiming "revolutionary" and "game changer".

To me, it's fun and a blast to play but a lot different than what I thought it was going to be. Not revolutionary but a solid shooter with a few new and old things.

What's TitanGAF think?

It's CoD with Titans as timed streaks and more verticality and a whole lot of useless bots. Maps are ridiculously tiny. I'm having fun with the pc beta but the gameplay is super shallow apart the parkour thing. Tribes did the verticality / mobility much better.

The internet hype machine is in full swing though. I can feel the 10/10 coming!

Riposte

You can't say if something is "revolutionary" in its beta (though you can try to predict it). If it comes out and it sells a ton and people start making a bunch of games based on it, then it can be called revolutionary or w/e fancy term. Call of Duty 4 wasn't revolutionary until it became a smash hit.

entremet

An absolute tonne of people.

Like who?

I just don't buy the OP's premise. PR and Microsoft statements are obviously biased. It's their products.

But where in the gaming press are we hearing game changer and revolutionary. I haven't read it. The only thing I've seen that it's one of the more refreshing MP FPS in years.

wrongway

I think if it does well enough it might encourage some devs/publishers to revisit multiplayer-only shooters (looking at you, DICE/EA), so it's potentially a "game changer" in that regard. But it's certainly not revolutionary. It's just good, solid fun.

Mononoke

Banned
It's a tried and true formula with some much needed tweaks. To me, this just seems like updates we should have saw years ago.

Kinyou

You can't say if something is "revolutionary" in its beta (though you can try to predict it). If it comes out and it sells a ton and people start making a bunch of games based on it, then it can be called revolutionary or w/e fancy term. Call of Duty 4 wasn't revolutionary until it became a smash hit.
That's true. When I played the Cod 4 beta I liked it a lot, but would never have thought that it would get that big.

fantomena

I find it very funny how the MS PR release is saying that Titanfall is looking ridiculously good when it looks shit. I believe they are talking about graphics.

El-Suave

Because the campaigns in games like cod and battlefield are really why we fork over $60.

If Modern Warfare hadn't had its great campaign, it never would have gotten the initial buzz it had. That was all people were talking about for the first few months before the multiplayer took over the conversation.

ShogunX

It's the spiritual successor to COD4 that should of been made years ago. It's not going to change the way people think about FPS games but what it does is appeal to all of those people who have been burned on the direction the COD series has taken.

It brings back the emphasis on shooting and map control rather than hiding for a kill streak.

Revolutionary? No. Maybe someone will want to bring another game with AI on the MP side or take some other ideas, but that's it.
Is it fun? Hell yes.

Alright

Decent fun

Nothing that hasn't been done before (i mean sure the parkour, but at the end of the day the effects are not much different than running around and jumping like in UT) but it does it fairly well

hwy_61

Banned
Not just that, they've completely changed the entire gameplay loop from 'shoot', 'die', 'respawn' that has become so stale in the genre.

So many little things contribute to how much better it plays than other shooters. Everything from the whole 'Doomed Titan' mechanic to the Epilogue. So much to love. And it's very accessible too.

In that case, I would personally say that Battlefield is a revolutionary game. When I play BF4, I run around and destroy tanks and helicopters. I have a blast!

KissVibes

Banned
If Modern Warfare hadn't had it's great campaign, it never would have gotten the initial buzz it had. That was all people were talking about for the first few months before the multiplayer took over the conversation.

Bullshit.

Mutiplayer made COD into the phenom that it has become. It wasn't a few months after release. It was that damn beta that made people really take notice. COD campaigns exist for the 30% of people that actually finish them and for marketing purposes.

dhonk

If you miss games like Unreal Tournament and Quake, you should buy it.

I think this is a little disingenuous to say, everything that a player of those games wouldn't like about Call of Duty style multiplayer is here in full swing. And as such leans wayyyyyy more towards CoD gameplay than a twitch shooter like those.

Top Bottom