• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta Players: Is "Revolutionary" and "Game Changer" accurate?

Very fun, very clever, very good maps. But no real high learning curve. Gets boring very fast as you master the game fast : 6v6 is too limited. Not enough to do, not enough option. I can see this become its own sucess for the CoD audience but BF players will be bored so fast

Into

No

Its Call of Duty with a MMO esque Damage/Survivability cooldown disguised as a "mech/Titan". Worse bots than Unreal Tournament 99

Its still a decent game, and i can see my self having fun for 2-3 weeks with it, but the hype put on this game is too high for almost any developer to reach.

Duxxy3

It's neither.

For once Polygon got it right. It's a shooter for people who are not good at shooters.

The AI are just dumb
Titans are nothing special
Pilot vs. Pilot is either execution or jump around for a minute while trying to shoot

It is an OK game that was boosted and boosted by marketing.

If you are looking for a competitive FPS, look anywhere else.

danwarb

Nothing is revolutionary if you think about it. There are always precursors.

So if it turns out to be a success and there are many TF clones, you might say it was revolutionary. While others will still point to games that share a few similar features that were available before it.

Amir0x

Banned
Jesus Christ. Who in the media is this hyperbolic, so I can avoid anything they say?

Take a look at Microsoft's press release for January NPD quoting members of the press:

We’re just getting started. Our team couldn’t be more excited for the upcoming launch of “Titanfall,” which is exclusive to Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC. Recently called the “most important game in years,” a “game changer” and “system seller,” “Titanfall” has been heralded for its “spectacular action,” termed a “ridiculously good looking game,” and the “most exciting shooter in years.” For people who haven’t purchased Xbox One, we believe “Titanfall” will be the energizer to launch a new generation of gameplay.

The game is fun to be sure if you're into that sort of thing, but there's such a self-perpetuating amount of excessive media driven hype for this game that it's comical to watch. After playing the game for myself I could see why people might find it fun if they're into that sort of competitive FPS that coddles skill-less players, but I do not at all understand the effusive nonsense coming out of every orifice over it. There's literally virtually nothing remarkable about it other than it being a lot of fun for people, every gameplay element has been done before in some form elsewhere and sometimes much better elsewhere :p

rdrr gnr

Judging a game from a beta are we?
Because the final code will somehow be unrecognizable? Betas are absolutely representative of the final gameplay experience save content (number of maps or weapons) and polish (glitches and crashes). No major systems will change.

daman824

Deinitely different from cod. Which suprised me at first. I guess if you don't play cod regularly it will seem the same. But there are big differences.

Gamechanger though? It's going to be an absolute behemoth ip this generation. And I can easliy see developers taking on the movement aspects such as the double jump and wallrunning. I can also guarantee we will see more "multiplayer/singleplayer" games coming out after the reception titanfall is getting. It's going to change first person shooters one way or another. Whether it's with gameplay, or with the way the game is set up. Stuff like falling from an airship into battle, seeing ai fighting with you, stuff going on all around you, rushig for the evac at the end, ect.

From what I have played, no. It is 80% cod with some new welcome stuff on top. It is a really genius first product for Respawn as it will be immediately familiar to current shooter fans yet have that bit on top make it feel fresh.

I would have liked them to deviate more from the cod infantry formula, but I know that's not where the money is.

KissVibes

Banned
It's an FPS-MOBA. I suppose that's revolutionary?

It's a fucking great game. Everything is so incredibly fast and fluid. I never felt like anyone was over-powered and I always had an exit strategy to bad situations or way to beat an enemy, titan or not. This is the most pure aracdey fun I've had since COD4 and even that would feel slow and cumbersome to me now. Titanfall isn't Quake fast but goddamn does it move quickly at all times.

I also LOVE how it isn't built around absurd perks. As a level 1 guy starting off, I was beating guys that had been playing for hours and have ranked up many, many times. I hated how COD became some perk focus. I'm great at shooting and I like that I never feel hindered because I don't have the right perk or gun far outside my level cap.

Knoxcore

I haven't played it but just looking at it the game looks fun. Not revolutionary or a game changer but fun., which is what we ask of all games.

Kade

If I went into it expecting it to be a revolutionary game changer I would have been really disappointed. It's also unfair and unreleastic to have such expectations about anything, really. I expected a fresh take on old ideas and that's exactly what I got and I'm loving it.

daman824

Because the final code will somehow be unrecognizable? Betas are absolutely representative of the final gameplay experience save content (number of maps or weapons) and polish (glitches and crashes). No major systems will change.
Story stuff was removed from the beta. Such as intro scenes.

There is a difference between evolutionary and revolutionary.

This is just evolutionary. A refinement. It's massive fun. Though I keep wanting to hate it because it's so similar to COD style gameplay. I can't hate it =[. Not yet. Maybe when they run the franchise into the ground lol.

NSider

It's a really cool game that pushes the genre forward, but it's not really revolutionary, except maybe in how the "campaign" is done.

ElRenoRaven

Now that I've had a good bit of time with the game, trying out all the modes, I can safely say this is a load of fun for people that love shooters. But where I differ are the people claiming "revolutionary" and "game changer".

To me, it's fun and a blast to play but a lot different than what I thought it was going to be. Not revolutionary but a solid shooter with a few new and old things.

What's TitanGAF think?

I agree with you. It's going to be a blast to play. But it's not revolutionary or a game changer. It takes the FPS and mechassault type game and combines them well but it's not life changing. I'm one of the few that honestly would love a singleplayer to go along with the multiplayer. I could imagine some crazy COD like campaigns. Maybe in the future they'll reconsider and maybe TF 2 will have a singleplayer.

Amir0x

Banned

yes i am sure titanfall's revolutionary and compelling story will change the outlook here. Game stories are traditionally so good and all :p

PsychoRaven said:
I'm one of the few that honestly would love a singleplayer to go along with the multiplayer. I

I'd go even further and drop the multiplayer and make a full First Person Adventure shooter using its mobility. That's what I'd play.

Facism

Doesn't live up to the hype but it is a fun little multiplayer game. Feels a little throwaway despite the glimpses of depth and high skill ceilings.

Overdoziz

Banned
Story in multiplayer. Not enough
residentsleeper.png
s in the world.

daman824

yes i am sure titanfall's revolutionary and compelling story will change the outlook here. Game stories are traditionally so good and all :p
It definitely will help make the world feel more alive. I love that kind of stuff. Let me hang out in a dropship flying into battle instead of staring at a black and white screen for ten seconds.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
game changer in that i can definitely see this becoming the new "best thing" and taking the mantle from CoD. not really revolutionary though, in any way. its like they (successfully) blended shogo with call of duty and added the required parkour.

From what I've heard, it's another devolution in the FPS genre. Literally just got my beta key though, so I'll form my own opinion on it soon-ish.

[Edit] 12Gb download, so ask again tomorrow.

Not even close.

Really the only thing that could be applied to this is " Fun ". And the longevity of how fun it is will all be dependent upon how well built the levels are and the depth to the gameplay.

If all the levels end up being relatively the same, it could get old pretty fast. Also depends on the other types of matches. I thought Attrition was pretty flat except for the end when the other players are racing for the dropship exit ... found that pretty humerous. I like Last Titan Standing though. The capture mode is pretty cool with the size of the levels and the unique situation of having multiple Titans defending a hardpoint.

Fighting in a Titan in the middle of the city is fun though. Always have to watch your back and watch the buildings as at any moment a pilot could jump onto your Titan. No defense to that is pretty annoying though. The AI of your Titan is also pretty bad when you put it to defense mode or follow mode. It is basically dead weight when not being piloted by another player.

Revolutionary, not even close heh. It is fun though, thats that.

Amir0x

Banned
It definitely will help make the world feel more alive. I love that kind of stuff. Let me hang out in a dropship flying into battle instead of staring at a black and white screen for ten seconds.

well i am sure it will appeal to some, but I am just suggesting game stories are usually atrocious and from what we've read about Titanfall's it's really unimaginative and routine. I highly doubt that'd be enough to change most people's outlook on the question proposed in this OP.

TedNindo

It feels like an evolution of COD4 with some actual freedom and creativity put behind it.

It feels like something new. And it manages to deliver freedom of movement with a natural flow and control that hasn't been this way before in multiplayer shooters.

It also manages to create a more interesting experience by addition of the titans without making things unbalanced or overly complicated.

It does more to enhance the gameplay than the COD games that came after COD4 without making it as random and convoluted as COD has become.

COD didn't change up the gameplay formula much but they kept adding stuff that didn't make the core gameplay any better. Titanfall changes up the core gameplay entirely while keeping what made COD4 good. But without adding all the piles of crap onto it that doesn't make the game any better.

They actually added a lot of interesting and creative systems that enhance the core that is already there to make a better whole.

And I can easliy see developers taking on the movement aspects such as the double jump and wallrunning. I can also guarantee we will see more "multiplayer/singleplayer" games coming out after the reception titanfall is getting. It's going to change first person shooters one way or another.

Yeah, if there's anything literally game-changer about Titanfall imo, it's that it's more likely than not going to have a major influence of FPS design approach for other competitor FPSes.

At the very least, I think the movement aspects, as well as the 'set-piece experiences' of Titanfall ( the game definitely knows how to make you feel like a total badass as if out from a cinematic cutscene ) will be things that will be learned and applied across more FPSes out there.

RK9039

I feel like I've already played this game before, it's nothing new or special. But I will most likely buy the game because it's still pretty fun.

It doesn't need to be a 'game changer'.

daman824

well i am sure it will appeal to some, but I am just suggesting game stories are usually atrocious and from what we've read about Titanfall's it's really unimaginative and routine. I highly doubt that'd be enough to change most people's outlook on the question proposed in this OP.
It will cause games to have them. Quote me on it. The success of titanfall will cause multiplayer heavy games that previously had single and multiplayer to take the titanfall route.

Top Bottom