• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brave Frontier |OT| No puzzles, just dragons

Jinko

Agree, I just pulled Amy from the rare summon gate and shes a lord, could be worse but it kind of made me go woooooo.... oh booooo in the same thought.

Would have made more sense to make each character have its own class type, or allow the player to allocate stats after levelling up.

That being said the skill up system in this game is a lot better than PADs so you win some and lose some I guess. (In future patches you will only lose half your skill ups when evolving also)

Phades

So this is the 2nd daily dungeon I cleared all the stages of and didn't get a gem. Is that normal?

...so it's the same as the weekend dungeon? That's hella lame.
Well, if you didn't make over 500,000 on the weekend and you just finished idol runs enabling you to evolve, then you could very easily run out of cash by wednesday. Having the option to do a jewel run mid week can be the little push someone needs to not get forced into a farm cycle and not make much headway on the quests.

That being said the skill up system in this game is a lot better than PADs so you win some and lose some I guess. (In future patches you will only lose half your skill ups when evolving also)
Aww hell man. Why couldn't that be in the game now? That would be so much nicer. It is such a pain trying to level up BB at all really.

Draxal

I HATE class types.

Oh, you pulled that Unit you really wanted? Congratulations! But wait, she's a physical attacker, you say? Well, enjoy your Guardian! ~_~

You shouldn't need to roll that RNG dice twice to get a Unit/Type you want. Either make that Type changeable in-game [perhaps with Zel], or don't have it there at all. This is the Nature in Pokémon all over again, only you can't easily reset/capture more, you need to spend Gems [and more than likely, money] to do so.

I know, you don't need a specific type, as any of them will generally suffice, but if I'm building the best possible team I can, having a Unit with 400+ less attack than another is troubling.

Apparently class types can change when you can evolve, apparently very small chance but still my only Alice is a 3 star anima type so I got lucky there but man I really really want to keep that class type.

chrono01

Apparently class types can change when you can evolve, apparently very small chance but still my only Alice is a 3 star anima type so I got lucky there but man I really really want to keep that class type.
Yeah, supposedly it's super-rare though, so I don't think I'll be fortunate enough for that to happen on the Units I want it to.

Actually, knowing my luck, it will happen on the one I don't want it to. :/

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I HATE class types.

Oh, you pulled that Unit you really wanted? Congratulations! But wait, she's a physical attacker, you say? Well, enjoy your Guardian! ~_~

You shouldn't need to roll that RNG dice twice to get a Unit/Type you want. Either make that Type changeable in-game [perhaps with Zel], or don't have it there at all. This is the Nature in Pokémon all over again, only you can't easily reset/capture more, you need to spend Gems [and more than likely, money] to do so.

I know, you don't need a specific type, as any of them will generally suffice, but if I'm building the best possible team I can, having a Unit with 400+ less attack than another is troubling.

Agreed. I'd be okay with it if there was a way to change it. Hell, I'd be okay with it even if the only way to change it was something like "feed a unit the same unit (e.g., feed an alice to an alice) and you can change the type."

Dreavus

I shouldn't have made my main healer the light type one.

And Bat Mimics wreck my shit, probably partially due to the above statement. I basically can't open chests in stages where they can appear.

Phades

I shouldn't have made my main healer the light type one.

And Bat Mimics wreck my shit, probably partially due to the above statement. I basically can't open chests in stages where they can appear.

Defense pots, holy water, and throwing the unit into defense mode should allow you to have that unit limp through the fight. All else fails, wait till you finish it off (i prefer poison for those bastards), then use your revive on the unit in the next map so you can keep trucking along.

Just be glad they don't use AOE attacks as well, like the vampire on st lamia.... Still haven't beat that guy yet. :(

Marvelous

This new Frontier Hunter is pretty tough. I can clear the Middle version but can barely get past stage 2 on End version, lol. I don't expect to get a high place on the rankings, heh.

Jinko

Vampire is almost as bad as the Ents.

Spam 3 aoes in a row, who thought that was fair :S

This new Frontier Hunter is pretty tough. I can clear the Middle version but can barely get past stage 2 on End version, lol. I don't expect to get a high place on the rankings, heh.

You're doing better than me, can't get past stage 5 on Middle :S

Free gems are free gems though :D

chrono01

I just purchased another 50 [well, 55] Gems, thanks to the promotion. I'm going to save them from when the other three units are released, and [hopefully] grab a Aisha/Sefia.

Well, that and a Phoenix/Lancia, for my Fire team. I pulled ten times yesterday for Kikuri and, thankfully, managed to get two [Lord/Guardian *sigh*].

I also got:

Rage Beast Zegar [Oracle]
Undine [Lord]
Siren [Breaker]
Marksman Lario [Oracle]
Fairy [Lord]
Gun King Douglas [Breaker]
Bolt Knight Amy [Guardian]
Sunshine Luna [Breakker]
Champion Aem [Breaker]

Perhaps one day I'll have a Fire healer for my team...

ReaperXL7

At the moment I am waiting for an increase in dark unit pull chance from the diamond gotcha, but this is my current primary team

screenshot_2014-03-112kknk.png

Hopefully either a dark increase will pop up soon, or we get a dark special event as I want to try and snag a Breaker Magress. We will see how that goes though.

Marvelous

You're doing better than me, can't get past stage 5 on Middle :S

Free gems are free gems though :D

Haha, I'm sure you'll beat it next time. What team are you using? I've been using 5* Il & Mina as leader, 4* Kikuri, 4* Loch, 4* Tree and alternating between 4* Lorand and 4* Selena. Il & Mina and the Tree aren't max level yet. Got a long way to go for the twins to reach it, lol.

I tried doing it without a healer once and failed at the end. :x

Phades

I just purchased another 50 [well, 55] Gems, thanks to the promotion. I'm going to save them from when the other three units are released, and [hopefully] grab a Aisha/Sefia.

Well, that and a Phoenix/Lancia, for my Fire team. I pulled ten times yesterday for Kikuri and, thankfully, managed to get two [Lord/Guardian *sigh*].

I also got:

Rage Beast Zegar [Oracle]
Undine [Lord]
Siren [Breaker]
Marksman Lario [Oracle]
Fairy [Lord]
Gun King Douglas [Breaker]
Bolt Knight Amy [Guardian]
Sunshine Luna [Breakker]
Champion Aem [Breaker]

Perhaps one day I'll have a Fire healer for my team...

Weren't you going to wait for a bias to fire element event for rare pulls first?

And 50 gems, hot damn!
yoda.jpg

Control, control you must learn control!

Aem, Gun king, and Bolt knight are pretty good pulls though.

Vampire is almost as bad as the Ents.
I'll take ents anytime over dark element with possible curse spam.

Light them things on fire and have a BBQ afterwards~

chrono01

Weren't you going to wait for a bias to fire element event for rare pulls first?

And 50 gems, hot damn!
yoda.jpg

Control, control you must learn control!

Aem, Gun king, and Bolt knight are pretty good pulls though.
I was going to, but since the "guaranteed four-star unit for ten pulls" event ends in a few days, and I really want a chance at Kikuri for my eventual dark team, I figured I'd use them now. :/

There's a Water event going on now so, with any hope, a Fire event might occur during the rest of the new units. If so, I'll wait until then, since it would give me a greater chance at both obtaining more fire units as well as the new Aisha.

Iap stuff. Is it worth putting money in this? Is it needed to progress later?

Besides clearing dungeons, and events, what other ways do you get gems?

Phades

Kikuri is nice and it is too bad you didn't pull one.

With how they are throwing in more opportunities to earn gems, I was just under the false assumption that it would be easier to bide the time and gather resources without dropping as much cash on it and still have relatively favorable results overal.

I guess sale like events are too hard to resist sometimes. Hopefully you will grab what you want next time around since you dropped the cash on it already.

Character vortex dungeons lv3. Daily gem bonuses. Frontier hunter.

Possibly raids, when they get implemented... Gem resources are fairly limited, but it should be possibled to earn around 50 without dropping cash on the game so far depending on when you started.

chrono01

You get Gems occasionally as a "free gift" from Gumi, but aside from clearing dungeons for the first time [and participating in the arena/Frontier Hunter] there's no other way to obtain them outside of IAP.

As for whether it's worth it or not, that's up to you. I'm sure the game is able to be completed with all of the free units currently in there, although the higher difficulty things [and upcoming new dungeons] might require a different approach. I don't mind tossing in a few dollars here-and-there when I can, similar to Puzzle & Dragons. I enjoy the game enough to support the developers.

Kikuri is nice and it is too bad you didn't pull one.

With how they are throwing in more opportunities to earn gems, I was just under the false assumption that it would be easier to bide the time and gather resources without dropping as much cash on it and still have relatively favorable results overal.

I guess sale like events are too hard to resist sometimes. Hopefully you will grab what you want next time around since you dropped the cash on it already.
I actually managed to get two Kikuri, one from the Summon Gate and the other as the ten-summon unit bonus event. Now all I need are three more for my all-Kikuri team!

As for the Gem Sale, that's kind of what pushed me to buy them. Apparently they had a 50% off Gem Sale last December, so if there's something similar this year I'll likely stock up [especially if I get iTunes gift cards for Christmas].

Draxal

My draws actually look decent for a dark team.

Just have to force feed them xp, after I just evolved Alice.

The Kikuri/Scythe Alice/Lava Phoenix are anima. The SamuraiMifune and Hell King Hades are breakers.

You get Gems occasionally as a "free gift" from Gumi, but aside from clearing dungeons for the first time [and participating in the arena/Frontier Hunter] there's no other way to obtain them outside of IAP.

As for whether it's worth it or not, that's up to you. I'm sure the game is able to be completed with all of the free units currently in there, although the higher difficulty things [and upcoming new dungeons] might require a different approach. I don't mind tossing in a few dollars here-and-there when I can, similar to Puzzle & Dragons. I enjoy the game enough to support the developers.

I actually managed to get two Kikuri, one from the Summon Gate and the other as the ten-summon unit bonus event. Now all I need are three more for my all-Kikuri team!

As for the Gem Sale, that's kind of what pushed me to buy them. Apparently they had a 50% off Gem Sale last December, so if there's something similar this year I'll likely stock up [especially if I get iTunes gift cards for Christmas].

I actually have a second Kikuri as well, just not putting her into the team due to cost/unit diversity (Not a fan of all same units teams) and she's a Guardian.

Phades

You are an evil man. I'm sure that will be no fun to face in the arena at all when you are finished with it.

chrono01

You are an evil man. I'm sure that will be no fun to face in the arena at all when you are finished with it.
That's the plan!

I know it won't be easy getting another three Kikuri, though, so it's more of a long-term plan than anything else. If I can get an Alice as a substitute, especially after their new 6* evolutions, that would be fine as well.

I can't wait until my team starts getting more powerful. Frontier Hunter is incredibly fun. Would feel so good beating the third stage... lmao! Winged Mimics... ouch!

lordcyno

I can't wait until my team starts getting more powerful. Frontier Hunter is incredibly fun. Would feel so good beating the third stage... lmao! Winged Mimics... ouch!

I ran into the 3 Winged Mimics on my first run and was able to get past them. The second time I ran it, they threw an idol of every color out and it didn't end well.

Dreavus

I got "Your enhance combination attempt was unsuccessful" when trying to fuse a single metal ghost to a single lvl 25 Hawkeye Lario.

Is there something I'm missing? I tried a few random green units instead and got the same message.

I ran into the 3 Winged Mimics on my first run and was able to get past them. The second time I ran it, they threw an idol of every color out and it didn't end well.

Yeah, ok, that sounds brutal. I was taking way too much damage from those mimics. And I was already badly beaten up from the stage before it. But, my team is still too fragile for that mess. Still fun though, and at least you still can grab some rewards for trying.

KuroNeeko

If you're willing to go JP, Dragon Poker is pure hype incarnate
*snip*

I also had a lot of fun with Monster Strike at first, although late-endgame is currently lacking a bit in content. Probably gonna drop it soon.

Yeah, I'll second Monster Strike. It's fun in the beginning but the end game IS sorely lacking. You'll also have trouble with the tougher bosses if you don't have friends who can play multi in real-time.

Also, the gacha rates are terribad.

colinp

Banned
Managed to snag an earth idol and a lightning idol earlier! Just what I wanted, woo. Had to burn one gem, alas, but none of my friends have healer units as their leaders. Anyone using a healer as their leader wanna be friends?

Evolved to Pixy Royal Leore and Thunder King Eze. Moving right along again! Wish I had a stronger healer on my team, ugh.

Oh! And my Zephu is at lvl 9 BB. 10 is the max, right?

Do you guys get gems for completing the daily dungeons for the first time (all levels)? Havn't gotten any for yesterday or today

You do not get gems for this.

You get a gem when you beat the Metal Parade for the first time.

You get a gem for beating the 3rd tier of the 6 farmable units (Oboro, Stya, Alma, Nemia, Galant, Zeln). Beating tiers 1 and 2 do not affect this.

I might be forgetting something but that's it for Gems out of the Vortex so far. Of course there could be more in the future.

You do not get gems for this.

You get a gem when you beat the Metal Parade for the first time.

You get a gem for beating the 3rd tier of the 6 farmable units (Oboro, Stya, Alma, Nemia, Galant, Zeln). Beating tiers 1 and 2 do not affect this.

I might be forgetting something but that's it for Gems out of the Vortex so far. Of course there could be more in the future.

Well that's kind of silly, I thought the general rule was that if you completed all levels of any dungeon : you got a stone.

Oh well, can't complain too much the way they are throwing stones and metal gods at us.

Jinko

Haha, I'm sure you'll beat it next time. What team are you using? I've been using 5* Il & Mina as leader, 4* Kikuri, 4* Loch, 4* Tree and alternating between 4* Lorand and 4* Selena. Il & Mina and the Tree aren't max level yet. Got a long way to go for the twins to reach it, lol.

I tried doing it without a healer once and failed at the end. :x

Using 4* Zeln, 3* Nemia, 4* Bahamut, 3* Weiss, 4* Eze, all maxed, I need to evolve some of them but the damn totems and spirits won't drop for me lol.

Oh well, can't complain too much the way they are throwing stones and metal gods at us.

For now ;), it will soon dry up once they stop being sorry lol.

Supposedly the JP version gets a lot more free stones and gifts than us, who would have thought.

Getting evo mats in this game is crazy frustrating...

yeah no shit. I had to drop a stone getting idols yesterday because the one I wanted didn't drop in the first couple runs.

On that note, really awesome that the AI can drop 6 AOE attacks on me in a row. In a fucking row.

I started playing before it became super-popular, and at the time I came to expect a few gems per week free because the servers were unstable and all that.

Kinda silly but I sort of miss those days. It made it far less painful to grow my unit and item capacity while still getting a fairly regular supply of rare summons.

It sounds like gems are now part of the daily log in bonuses, so maybe it won't be so bad in the future. Remains to be seen how gems factor in to this though. Even if it was like the P&D on 30 day milestones you get 5 that'd be fairly nice.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
yeah no shit. I had to drop a stone getting idols yesterday because the one I wanted didn't drop in the first couple runs.

On that note, really awesome that the AI can drop 6 AOE attacks on me in a row. In a fucking row.

This is why it took me forever to clear the quest I was on. The final bosses would each drop 2 AoE's on me and wipe my party. And then when I would finally get a run where I would kill 2/3 bosses, the third boss would go round after round of double AoE. It's nuts.

Servers aren't fixed yet....Can't connect. and when I can, I can't run a dungeon. I'm in the middle of Metal runs as well, so that's awesome.

This is why it took me forever to clear the quest I was on. The final bosses would each drop 2 AoE's on me and wipe my party. And then when I would finally get a run where I would kill 2/3 bosses, the third boss would go round after round of double AoE. It's nuts.

Damn, that sucks

Jinko

Servers aren't fixed yet....Can't connect. and when I can, I can't run a dungeon. I'm in the middle of Metal runs as well, so that's awesome.

Same happened to me, was in the middle of a run and had a Metal God in my chest, thankfully it resumes the dungeon now so I didn't lose it.

what determines a 'good unit' overall?

Just pulled guardian twins II mina, (I think are new?) and their leader skill prevents status stuff.... which sounds useful?

Just pulled guardian twins II mina, (I think are new?) and their leader skill prevents status stuff.... which sounds useful?

Solid pull. Their final evo negates all status effects and they have pretty nice skills. A 'good unit' is basically it's current number of stars and what it's final evo can be.

Best is to check the wiki and see it's evo path.

Draxal

They're really really good, not the best class type perse (but like the OP says it's rather meaningless) but they're a really useful unit to have just because of their leader ability.

Two general rule of thumb

1. Unit can reach up to 5 star rank and the twins can do that.

2. Either healing or an aoe attack ability and the twins have that as well.

In addition to what's already been said, Dark and Light tend to be better for arena battles, because their counter is also their strength and you get to go first. No matter how good your all fire party is if you end up attacking a mostly water party it will be a difficult victory.

If you have a few really good units of a certain element, weaker units of that element can become good units because they both can gain from leader bonuses that are element related and they improve the effectiveness of Seals and Ores, both of which are great items. This is the place for units like the 6 Vortex warriors (like Stya) to fit in or the farmable St. Lamia 4*s (Luna, Zephu, etc).

Lastly, a few statuses are very helpful under the right conditions. I consider Lodaga a good end game unit even though his brave burst is only single target because there are quite a few dungeon bosses susceptible to curse, and when a boss is cursed he will have a round of no AoEs.

Lan_97

Any advice for totem runs? Currently my party is Alma, Will, Alice, Lance, Elimo, all 4* Lv60. Will probably try to tackle the water/earth totems first and hopefully pick up dark/light along the way.

Althane

Tree is a good pull and Elulu has a useful BB. Sparking Elulu feels a little awkward due to the slow windup and narrow frame of her hits, but not too bad unlike the 2nd string of hits from zegar. The challenge will be building a solid team around the tree. What was your first hero choice?

I went for the yellow guy. Right now I'm using a team with a Unicorn, Tree, Elulu, and some trash to beat up the first set of dungeons. Not difficult, but server problems and all are making it frustrating.

ReaperXL7

I went for the yellow guy. Right now I'm using a team with a Unicorn, Tree, Elulu, and some trash to beat up the first set of dungeons. Not difficult, but server problems and all are making it frustrating.

They suck, but it's hard for me to get Mad with all the stuff they have been giving us as compensation. I have most of my team close to level 60 now because of that, and then I will just need to grab a few totems to evolve them all to 5*.

Still debating on continuing to level my tree as he's Oracle, where I would rather my healer be Guardian, or Anima.

Shouta

I need more BB crystals in battle. I've swapped from my Light healer to Elimo and while she's a lot better, I definitely need her burst to keep healed up.

Still no Stya. >=(

Top Bottom