• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft won't allow Xbox One/PC cross-platform play, says War Thunder dev

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
The Xbox One is technically capable of supporting cross-platform play, but Microsoft is not currently allowing it, according to War Thunder developer Gaijin Entertainment CEO Anton Yudintsev.

"Microsoft is not allowing cross-play completely; which means [War Thunder] cannot be on Xbox One," Yudintsev told GameSpot at GDC last week in San Francisco.

Why would Microsoft block cross-platform play? According to Yudintsev, Microsoft needs to certify game servers as a means to ensure a "good experience" for all players. This isn't possible under the current circumstances, Yudintsev said.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer said previously that cross-platform play between Xbox One and PC "makes sense," teasing that he's "not allowed to leak things," suggesting this feature may actually be in the works. We've reached out to a Microsoft representative for a further comment.

Cross-platform play is vital for a game like War Thunder because the install base of new consoles like the Xbox One and PS4 is too small for players to have an enjoyable experience, Yudintsev said.
The PS4 version of War Thunder, available only in Europe right now, will support cross-play beginning as early as next month, Yudintsev said. The reason this feature has yet to go live comes down to an unspecified updating issue that Yudintsev said Sony engineers are working to fix right now.

As for why Gaijin Entertainment elected to side with Sony instead of Microsoft, Ydintsev said it's because Sony is significantly more accommodating to indie developers, specifically those who make free-to-play games.

"Sony is much more open to indie developers and free-to-play games in general. So Sony has been in the free-to-play market for a few years already, they started on the PlayStation 3," Yudintsev said. "Not only that, but Microsoft has a lot of unspoken limitations like if you want to make a free-to-play game you have to talk to an account manager and there are no set of rules; you need to communicate them; and the rule depends on the [individual account manager]. If he likes your game you get approval, if he doesn't you don't get approval."

Yudintsev said one individual Microsoft account manager decides your game's fate. This person is the only who says "This game is good, this game is bad," Yudintsev said.

"I don't think it's a correct assumption that anyone can be the one who can choose which game is good and which is bad because each game is for a specific audience," he said.

Yudintsev said Minecraft is a good example of the faults in Microsoft's indie program. "It's a very fun game, a lot of people play it, and nowadays everyone understands it's a very good game. But it would not be happening [first] on Xbox Live."

"When it was released it was strange...it had very, let's say, specific graphics and not much of the gameplay," Yudintsev said, referencing the game's alpha release. "It suddenly became very popular and after that it appears on Xbox 360 as well. But it could not happen the other way. There's no way, I am pretty sure, that Microsoft would ever approve that game to be on Xbox Live Arcade before it became popular on the PC."

Yudintsev stressed that Microsoft's policies for indie games are beginning to change for the better with the arrival of the ID@Xbox program. But he made clear that Microsoft still has a ways to go to catch up to Sony.

"[Microsoft] has to change and they will change," Yudintsev said. "They key is that they understand the necessesity of change, so they will. We'll see. I hope we will be [on Xbox One] some day as well. I have nothing against the platform itself especially because I'm not one of those guys who worries about which is better [Xbox One or PS4]. I don't care. It's just the hardware. At the end of the day it's only about the quality of the game and the gameplay experience."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mi...tform-play-says-war-thunder-dev/1100-6418587/

PhatSaqs

Banned
I'm neither for or against cross plat play but this is kinda WTF:

Cross-platform play is vital for a game like War Thunder because the install base of new consoles like the Xbox One and PS4 is too small for players to have an enjoyable experience, Yudintsev said.

BibiMaghoo

I guess EA wasted a shit load of money looking at cross platform play for it's games.

I genuine shame, I think. Allowing all platforms to play with each other in the same game is beneficial to every party.

Hyb

Banned
But but Project Spark.

I dont know. I am not against it really. But for a FPS game it cant really work. Other games. Maybe.

RE_Player

With Sony announcing a growth in free-to-play revenue this year, with the PS4 being the main contributor to that growth, it is foolish of Microsoft not to be more accepting of free-to-play models on Xbox One. If they keep up this stance and console sales continue to be stronger for PS4 they have no one to blame but themselves.

SE stated earlier that FFXIV will not come to Xbox because of this too. MS backward XBL policies is going to bite them hard coming into this gen.

Isn't that one of the reasons they will never be getting FFXIV?

Yep

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/09/why-final-fantasy-xiv-isnt-coming-to-xbox-360-or-xbox-one

The game director of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has explained the title won't be coming to Microsoft consoles as Xbox Live policies don't support cross-play with other platforms.

In an interview with RPGsite, Naoki Yoshida explained that while PS3, PS4 and PC players will be able to play with each other when the game launches on August 27, the fact Xbox users would require their own server turned the team off the idea.

"The policy has not changed on Microsoft's side," he revealed. "The main reason from our side is that I don't want the community to be divided; to be split into two or more. For example, one player might be on the PC version, another might be on the PS4 version, and I'm playing the Xbox version - but we're not able to join the same game servers. That is just... I just don't like the idea. I disagree with it."

“
We're not able to join the same game servers. That is just... I just don't like the idea. I disagree with it.

"To be frankly honest with you, there are now so many mobile devices, smart phones, everything -- why would you ever just stick to one platform from the hardware aspect? Just -- make it open to everyone? That's my opinion.

"I would love for as many players as possible to enjoy the game worldwide, so from a business point of view it could make sense to have it on the Xbox platforms. But as I mentioned earlier, that would bring about the tragedy that somebody might have to give up their existing character. Then players might get frustrated, and then they ask us - 'Square Enix, can't you do something?' and then... yeah. Unless that happens, we can't really do anything."

Hellshy.

I'm neither for or against cross plat play but this is kinda WTF:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Its like he doesnt have any confidence in his own game. There are 6mill ps4 and over 4 mill xbox ones both with only launch window libraries.

Isn't that one of the reasons they will never be getting FFXIV?

yes. it seems like MS doesn't want it's players interacting with anyone else.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/square-enix-ffxiv-skipping-xbox-360-due-to-microsoft-policies/0118334

“The main reason from our side is that I don’t want the community to be divided; to be split into two or more,” Yoshida said. “For example, one player might be on the PC version, another might be on the PS4 version, and I’m playing the Xbox version – but we’re not able to join the same game servers. That is just… I just don’t like the idea. I disagree with it.”

edit: bahh

On the same servers as other platforms ala 14?

I never played it, but if I remember correctly PS2, PC & 360 players all played on the same servers because the game wasn't on Xbox Live, it was on Square's online service or something. I could be making this up though.

Lack of cross-play on MS's side is absolutely assinine, and they need to get with the times. I still don't understand why they take such a hard stance on it.

However, things like this: "Cross-platform play is vital for a game like War Thunder because the install base of new consoles like the Xbox One and PS4 is too small for players to have an enjoyable experience" is also just as stupid. Even if the game had 10,000 people (a pathetic number), I wouldn't expect to play with the same person on a regular basis. Cut the BS excuses out.

Capella

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Its like he doesnt have any confidence in his own game. There are 6mill ps4 and over 4 mill xbox ones both with only launch window libraries.

Yeah but if you compare that to the install base on PC, that isn't a lot. So right now, I can see where they are coming from.

BibiMaghoo

I never played it, but if I remember correctly PS2, PC & 360 players all played on the same servers because the game wasn't on Xbox Live, it was on Square's online service or something. I could be making this up though.

Yes.
They bent the rules for FFXI as it was part of MS's big, and largely unsuccessful, push for the 360 in Japan.

Cool. Didn't know that. I thought it was a new thing with 14, and was all impressed and such. Silly me :/

I really wish that cross platform would happen sometimes. At least for MMOs. It would be nice to not have to buy every console due to my friends being split all over the place.

patapuf

Lack of cross-play on MS's side is absolutely assinine, and they need to get with the times. I still don't understand why they take such a hard stance on it.

However, things like this: "Cross-platform play is vital for a game like War Thunder because the install base of new consoles like the Xbox One and PS4 is too small for players to have an enjoyable experience" is also just as stupid. Even if the game had 10,000 people (a pathetic number), I wouldn't expect to play with the same person on a regular basis. Cut the BS excuses out.

It's a F2P game. Not a lot of people are going to spend money. They'll want more than 10k players.

wapplew

I think they will change the rules eventually.
And we'll have Xbox PS PC all play together in one place.

It's a F2P game. Not a lot of people are going to spend money. They'll want more than 10k players.

Then say that it wouldn't be worth the time for you to develop the game on X1, don't give me some bullshit excuse that I can't enjoy the game because there aren't enough players on one system. That's just plain bullshit.

KiraXD

Cool. Didn't know that. I thought it was a new thing with 14, and was all impressed and such. Silly me :/
yeah FFXI was pretty great... I had all versions of the game and played on PC, PS2, 360 and technically, PS3 (with Backwards Compatibility) being able to play with anyone on any console was awesome (and made it easier for me and my wife to play together back when i only had PC and a PS2/360)

It wouldn't work with their new reward and punishment system anyway. Plus I think MS likes to box people in, so if they can limit people's exposure to other systems, they will.

Even on the PC, it's sometimes pretty hard to find enough people for a non arcade match.

So I would say the point of a small user base is legit.

I dont know. I am not against it really. But for a FPS game it cant really work. Other games. Maybe.
Yeah, I think the list of games that real-time cross platform (console & PC) play would work for is pretty slim.

Even Warframe, which is almost entirely co-op focused had to change some aspects of the game on the PS4 for controller users (the wall-running challenge at rank 8). And that game is still consistently a few weeks behind on updates from the PC version. But even those devs aren't looking for real-time cross platform play, choosing instead to allow a one-time migration of a player's PC data to the PS4.

Competitive games won't work well in pitching kb/m versus controllers, and you want to properly tune a game's difficulty to the input method being used (look at Diabo 3's changes for the consoles).

It sounds great in theory, but in practice I don't see the positives.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Then say that it wouldn't be worth the time for you to develop the game on X1, don't give me some bullshit excuse that I can't enjoy the game because there aren't enough players on one system. That's just plain bullshit.
If the meta game depends on huge numbers of participants then no, it's not bullshit. An indie F2P title is not going to launch with millions of players like a AAA game would.

Yet another reason to skip Xbone.

edit: I'm baffled by their policy in general. How can a company like this be profitable. Are people giving them money? It is actually kind of hard to believe

I wonder if Sony can create a scenario for PC devs that make games exclude Xbone because of cross platform play.

Also, why the hell Sony (Online Entertainment) themselves do cross platform? >_>

Chettlar

Banned
Is this a thing that they plan on doing in the future then?

If so, why does MS keep saying they'll do these things, but take FOREVER to do them? Like, I don't think they're lying. They've done some of the things they said they would, but it took forever to get there.

Is there a reason things keep going so slow for MS?

Top Bottom