• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft won't allow Xbox One/PC cross-platform play, says War Thunder dev

wrowa

wat

Wrong thread? Nintendo doesn't have better policies than anyone when it comes to online.

Nintendo is allowing cross-plattform online play. They also have better indie policies than Microsoft these days. Whatever's going on at Microsoft, it's mind-buggling.

Nintendo is allowing cross-plattform online play. They also have better indie policies than Microsoft these days. Whatever's going on at Microsoft, it's mind-buggling.

How the exces at Xbox still employed I don't know. MS pretty much handed this gen to Sony on a plate.

I don't know how I feel. Looking at all the cheating involved with titanfall on pc, I have to say closing off the console version from pc players sounds like a good thing to me.

Jawmuncher

Microsoft needs to get with the times. At least allow for PC considering that is your platform as well technically. I really don't see the issue if the developer is willing to do all the work.

Stimpack

This is one of the things that disinterests me the most about the Xbox. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I'm neither for or against cross plat play but this is kinda WTF:

Also, how is that a WTF? I don't entirely disagree with it. I mean, at all.

King_Moc

Banned
Didn't we pretty much already know this? They did it for Shadowrun and FFXI then changed their viewpoint completely. It's silly, hopefully Sony will do the opposite and this will come back to bite them somehow.

It was a slim hope to begin with, but this doesn't bode well for Destiny having cross-platform play. :(

As a Destiny community nutjob I'll probably end up getting a PS4 as well just to include everyone in future events. I'm still hoping for cross-platform character data though.

hawk2025

It's perhaps time to start holding Phil Spencer's feet to the fire instead of letting him off easy every time he replies to a question with vague little promises for EVERYTHING.

Cornbread78

Just once, I wish they would open up the network for some cross platform action.... immegine the cross platform fanboy clan battles in online shooters.... It would be glorious....

harSon

Banned
It really should be a case by case basis.

There are games where having cross platform play would fundamentally ruin the console experience, like a first person shooter, and then there are games where KB/M advantage is a complete non-issue like MMORPG's.

Microsoft's insistence on having these across the board, catch all policies is really fucking stupid.

It really should be a case by case basis.

There are games where having cross platform play would fundamentally ruin the console experience, like a first person shooter, and then there are games where KB/M advantage is a complete non-issue like MMORPG's.

Microsoft's insistence on having these across the board, catch all policies is really fucking stupid.

I agree with this. why not allow cross platform for fighting games too? come to think of it, didn't one of the blazblue games allow for cross platform on 360 to PC?

Orca

I'm neither for or against cross plat play but this is kinda WTF:

So why is it available on PS4 when you can't cross play on that currently either?

It's a bullshit excuse anyway. Tons of multiplayer games seem to be doing just fine on the new consoles.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Also, how is that a WTF? I don't entirely disagree with it. I mean, at all.
Tell that to any of the handful of multiplayer games on either of the consoles. Hell PS4 players are enjoying Warframe just fine it seems without cross play even if it is coming later. You can agree with it all you want it's still bullshit.

Doesn't the mouse keyboard combination offer a significant advantage to PC gamers over console gamers? Isn't that a good enough reason to restrict cross play?

Chobel

So why is it available on PS4 when you can't cross play on that currently either?

It's a bullshit excuse anyway. Tons of multiplayer games seem to be doing just fine on the new consoles.

You can cross play on PS4.

BigDug13

Lack of cross-play on MS's side is absolutely assinine, and they need to get with the times. I still don't understand why they take such a hard stance on it.

However, things like this: "Cross-platform play is vital for a game like War Thunder because the install base of new consoles like the Xbox One and PS4 is too small for players to have an enjoyable experience" is also just as stupid. Even if the game had 10,000 people (a pathetic number), I wouldn't expect to play with the same person on a regular basis. Cut the BS excuses out.

Console gamers come and go in multiplayer games. It stands to reason that they want to keep as many people playing on the same servers as possible in order to maintain a healthy population. If it came out for XBO for example and without crossplay, hardly anyone played it, it would kinda suck.

Stimpack

Tell that to any of the handful of multiplayer games on either of the consoles. Hell PS4 players are enjoying Warframe just fine it seems without cross play even if it is coming later. You can agree with it all you want it's still bullshit.

The userbase of a new platform is much smaller than that of the PC. I don't think it's a guarantee that every F2P game is going to find success in such early days. I think that cross-plat play is vital to the survival of many free titles, especially one like War Thunder. I'd bet the house that War Thunder will struggle to find the same success as Warframe. Also, what are the Warframe number? Are those out there somewhere?

Anyway, I just think the man has a point and that's it's not all bullshit.

It's perhaps time to start holding Phil Spencer's feet to the fire instead of letting him off easy every time he replies to a question with vague little promises for EVERYTHING.

The only thing I really want to know from Phil is when he plans on resurrecting Battletoads. Microsoft owns the series. He needs to bring it back.

This has been the default policy for XBL since it began, with only a very few special exceptions - Shadowrun, Microsoft's own in-house game and FFXI, a special deal with S-E related to FF13 being released on 360 - being made over the entire history of the platform. The only surprising part about this is that they're sticking to these policies even as they become increasingly disadvantageous due to losing critical mass of subscribers.

The policy makes a certain degree of sense if you have the largest online multiplayer service; you force people who want to play with their friends to come to your service, you force multi-system owners to buy the X-Box version of multiplat titles where multiplayer is a major feature, etc. The problem is that it becomes a noose around your neck the moment your service becomes less popular than competing services, because suddenly no one wants the version of the game that can only be played with the smallest player base that none of their friends are a part of.

They really need to scrap this policy before it gets to that point. The XBL vs. PS+/Steam numbers aren't going to become any more favorable for them as the generation goes on. This is going to become a reason not to buy an XB1, rather than a reason to buy one.

Doesn't the mouse keyboard combination offer a significant advantage to PC gamers over console gamers? Isn't that a good enough reason to restrict cross play?
If that is the case, let the developer asume the risk because they understand their game better. MS should not be trying to be god.

BigDug13

I feel like the lack of crossplay in Planetside 2 is going to make the continents feel super empty. Not sure if that game will have the thousands of players each day to make the world population seem healthy enough for a fun experience.

BigDug13

on an RPG (FFXIV) and an airplane shooting game (war thunder), a keyboard and mouse holds a significant advantage over a controller??

We're not talking about Battlefield 4 here. FPS is the one genre where keyboard and mouse holds a HUGE advantage over controller.

LCGeek

formerly sane

This is not always true. Also this line of thinking doesn't really highlight the fact some devs have isolated groups or allowed people to pick and choose if they want such a disadvantage. Personally I'm sick of devs, publisher or this mindset deciding for people when consumers themselves should be the ones to let it play out. For competitive play you have a point, but for casual play this line of thinking is killing off a good potential the industry could use.

Devs have butchered this issue since it's started happening on the dc. Quite sad that after two gens they are still babies on this issue.

If that is the case, let the developer asume the risk because they understand their game better. MS should not be trying to be god.

Good point. I agree.

on an RPG (FFXIV) and an airplane shooting game (war thunder), a keyboard and mouse holds a significant advantage over a controller??

We're not talking about Battlefield 4 here. FPS is the one genre where keyboard and mouse holds a HUGE advantage over controller.

I would imagine a competitive airplane shooter would be easier to play with a mouse, but I really don't know in the case of this particular game. Did Quake on Dreamcast have cross play? I remember getting absolutely fried in that in just about every round. Bad memories.

Not really but there's also the benefit of being able to use mouse and keyboard on playstation platforms. It's the little details and wasted opportunities that ensure I'll never own an xbox console

Then say that it wouldn't be worth the time for you to develop the game on X1, don't give me some bullshit excuse that I can't enjoy the game because there aren't enough players on one system. That's just plain bullshit.

What? Its not worth the time to develop because there aren't enough players on the system. Thats exactly what they said and thats exactly why the dont want to develop on it. I dont understand what you're angry about.

With Sony announcing a growth in free-to-play revenue this year, with the PS4 being the main contributor to that growth, it is foolish of Microsoft not to be more accepting of free-to-play models on Xbox One. If they keep up this stance and console sales continue to be stronger for PS4 they have no one to blame but themselves.

I would add putting Free to play games behind the Live Gold paywall is also foolish

Lack of cross-play on MS's side is absolutely assinine, and they need to get with the times. I still don't understand why they take such a hard stance on it.

However, things like this: "Cross-platform play is vital for a game like War Thunder because the install base of new consoles like the Xbox One and PS4 is too small for players to have an enjoyable experience" is also just as stupid. Even if the game had 10,000 people (a pathetic number), I wouldn't expect to play with the same person on a regular basis. Cut the BS excuses out.

Replying to the underlined... You've never played Splinter Cell Blacklist on the PC then. The install base is seriously tiny. When I and two of my friends played regularly, we ran into the same people ALL the time. So much so that we started joking about this one guy who always quit out during matches.

On a side note, I'm aware that kb/m is superior to controllers in a lot of ways and gives advantages. But it is perfectly acceptable to allow controller only servers where all players are on the same level.

BigDug13

Replying to the underlined... You've never played Splinter Cell Blacklist on the PC then. The install base is seriously tiny. When I and two of my friends played regularly, we ran into the same people ALL the time. So much so that we started joking about this one guy who always quit out during matches.

On a side note, I'm aware that kb/m is superior to controllers in a lot of ways and gives advantages. But it is perfectly acceptable to allow controller only servers where all players are on the same level.

It seems like if the devs do it right, the advantage can be largely mitigated. There's plenty of people playing Titanfall with a controller who are able to get top rankings on PC.

I don't really understand the controller argument in this instance

Would you rather have a game released on XB1 that might have KB/M that you'd have to compete with or no game at all?

Durante

No, that's RTS. FPS comes second :p

It seems like if the devs do it right, the advantage can be largely mitigated. There's plenty of people playing Titanfall with a controller who are able to get top rankings on PC.

I agree. PC could have other advantages like better performance as well. At the end of the day though, if players can choose whether or not they want to play in a cross play lobby, there shouldn't be any problems at all.

Top Bottom