• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft won't allow Xbox One/PC cross-platform play, says War Thunder dev

Opiate

on an RPG (FFXIV) and an airplane shooting game (war thunder), a keyboard and mouse holds a significant advantage over a controller??

We're not talking about Battlefield 4 here. FPS is the one genre where keyboard and mouse holds a HUGE advantage over controller.

FPS, MOBA, RTS, MMO all come to mind. There are a couple where console controllers likely hold the advantage: fighting and action games (e.g. Ninja Gaiden or DmC).

hawk2025

The only thing I really want to know from Phil is when he plans on resurrecting Battletoads. Microsoft owns the series. He needs to bring it back.

I can give you what his answer would be right now:

"It's a franchise I have great love for. Obviously there's been talks about it, and we're finding the right moment to go for it, but we are definitely excited about the IP. Stay tuned for more information soon."

Raist

Banned
According to Yudintsev, Microsoft needs to certify game servers as a means to ensure a "good experience" for all players. This isn't possible under the current circumstances, Yudintsev said.

Isn't that what Teh Cloud is for?

i feel there would somehow be a influx of cheaters if that ever does happen and that it being on microsoft servers would actually be good thing..but i have no idea wtf im talking about.

zma1013

So if Microsoft did allow it, would that mean a potential match of PS4 vs Xbone vs PC all in the same game would be a possibility?

I can give you what his answer would be right now:

"It's a franchise I have great love for. Obviously there's been talks about it, and we're finding the right moment to go for it, but we are definitely excited about the IP. Stay tuned for more information soon."

lol Pretty much. As much as I enjoy him engaging with the community, he more often than not has nothing to say.

i feel there would somehow be a influx of cheaters if that ever does happen and that it being on microsoft servers would actually be good thing..but i have no idea wtf im talking about.

No, it is entirely about "maintaining value for Gold subscribers" (by not letting them see people paying nothing getting a directly comparable service) and its why their chasing of F2P companies and titles won't work outside of directly paying them for ports.

F2P titles rely on volume of users with low barriers to entry.
Gold itself hampers both of these.

shakey

Neo Member
I believe MS doesn't offer Cross Play because it would only devalue their current console. If people could get the same experience on the PC as they do with their XB1, what would stop them from just buying the PC version and still playing with all their console friends? It would really hurt their sales more than it would help, business wise.

And while Sony does this, and it doesn't seem to affect them, Sony and MS have always have very contrasting business policies, at least as of the last few years. Sony seems to do what they can to make the consumer happy, even if it might cost Sony a bit... Where as MS seems to only think about profits and how to increase them, even if it hampers the consumers use of the console, ie: Pay wall for apps that shouldn't have them.

Also, with this new gen, the power differences between the consoles is pretty big. Most PC'ers have a system that is about as powerful as the PS4 if not more so. Many PC'ers have a system that beats the XB1 easily. If you had to choose between either a console version of pc version, depending on which console you had, you would most likely go for the PC version over the XB1, where as on the PS4 it could be a tougher decision due to how closer the builds have seemed to be so far.

However, things like this: "Cross-platform play is vital for a game like War Thunder because the install base of new consoles like the Xbox One and PS4 is too small for players to have an enjoyable experience" is also just as stupid. Even if the game had 10,000 people (a pathetic number), I wouldn't expect to play with the same person on a regular basis. Cut the BS excuses out.
The nature of the F2P business model relies on high-end players (with high-end gear) being showcased as an example of "This could be YOU,
for $19.49 on your credit card
. When you have fewer players, you have fewer examples to look to, and therefore the rolling boulder of pay-to-win takes longer to start rolling (if at all)

Plus, haven't you ever seen F2P advertisements? "Over 7 million registered users! Come join Cleavage Quest and [insert innuendo here]" I imagine similar advertisements will start hitting the PS4 dashboard if they haven't already, since more players = it must be good because how could 7 million people be wrong?

Wiktor

Lack of cross-play on MS's side is absolutely assinine, and they need to get with the times. I still don't understand why they take such a hard stance on it.

However, things like this: "Cross-platform play is vital for a game like War Thunder because the install base of new consoles like the Xbox One and PS4 is too small for players to have an enjoyable experience" is also just as stupid. Even if the game had 10,000 people (a pathetic number), I wouldn't expect to play with the same person on a regular basis. Cut the BS excuses out.

I don't think you realize how F2P model works. If the game would have 10K then the ammount of people spending any money would likely be in hundreds, and those who pay a lot at most would count in dozens. Good luck trying to keep the game running and expanding it with such low consumer userbase.

man, another dev on some other forums I go to was talking about how much microsoft indie program sucked compared to sonys.

And its shit like this that will further the gap between sony and microsoft.

Sony going to have the massive PS2 era game library and microsoft gon be sitting there kicking rocks if they dont change up those policys. But sony will force their hand, just they are doing with the price cut and the rumored microsoft VR. Microsoft been doing nothing but playing catch up since the reveal of their console.

DREYDUS

Banned
Sony has offered cross platform play in the past to MS and they declined everytime. Hip Hop gamer even brought it up at a past E3 with a Sony rep & MS rep both right on camera. Sony said they are down for it MS said"uhh not possible"

VariantX

No, it is entirely about "maintaining value for Gold subscribers" (by not letting them see people paying nothing getting a directly comparable service) and its why their chasing of F2P companies and titles won't work outside of directly paying them for ports.

F2P titles rely on volume of users with low barriers to entry.
Gold itself hampers both of these.

Yep. There's technically no such thing as F2P on either 360/XB1 because of their desire to make sure most of its functionality is locked behind a subscription service.

GD71

Banned
The best thing about live is that it's closed. So long as the console doesn't get hacked you know online is fair. You only have to look at the recent PC Titanfall aimbot thing to see what we avoid without cross play. I don't want it to become the norm and I don't want to have to sit at a coffee table with a mouse to compete. I definitely don't want cheat bots.

Sure, some games would be ok cross play but it's a dangerous precedent. I hope it doesn't become common place on my PS4 either.

Probably the most shocking news of the year so far * cough *

No sense at all in that stance of course but there it is.

Shame too because War Thunder is damn good fun. I honestly have no issue fighting against people who may be using a mouse / keyboard. Can't really tell which is which.

FyreWulff

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Its like he doesnt have any confidence in his own game. There are 6mill ps4 and over 4 mill xbox ones both with only launch window libraries.

With most of it's small userbase gobbled up by the big titles.

Really, it makes zero sense to be limited to your platform's purchase base with multiplayer games. You shouldn't be punished for buying it for the wrong hardware - and having the maximum potential playerbase by not slicing in it two or in fours is just a whole world of making good sense.

BigDug13

FPS, MOBA, RTS, MMO all come to mind. There are a couple where console controllers likely hold the advantage: fighting and action games (e.g. Ninja Gaiden or DmC).

Isn't FF XIV more of a cooperative MMO style game? Even an FPS like Borderlands 2 was perfectly playable with other people while using a 360 controller, which I did throughout my entire PC playthrough of the game, because I'm sitting 6 feet away from a 65" TV that is my computer monitor. The controller simply works better with my setup.

Anyway people saying Microsoft is doing the right thing here by excluding games because of crossplay are simply fanboys. Making an excuse like the controls would hold an advantage on a specific platform is wrong if PS4 is capable of mouse/keyboard and PC is capable of controller.

Either way it's a silly argument for why one platform allows crossplay and the other doesn't.

I would be falling asleep if I played FF14 with KB+M. The controller is the thing that makes it interesting even though I know KB+M is better. It's just a new feel to the game and makes it a bit challenging.

I had no fun at all playing the PC Beta, but I enjoyed the PS4 beta greatly.

tensuke

It's dumb not to allow it. But it seems like maybe MS is in fact working on it? If so then that's a good thing.

BigDug13

It's dumb not to allow it. But it seems like maybe MS is in fact working on it? If so then that's a good thing.

What makes you say that they're working on it? 2 newish games aren't coming out on the system for the crossplay reason. Did I miss some news?

tensuke

What makes you say that they're working on it? 2 newish games aren't coming out on the system for the crossplay reason. Did I miss some news?

I was going off this quote from the OP:
Xbox boss Phil Spencer said previously that cross-platform play between Xbox One and PC "makes sense," teasing that he's "not allowed to leak things," suggesting this feature may actually be in the works. We've reached out to a Microsoft representative for a further comment.
It may be nothing, but it may also mean something is in the works. That's what I took from it anyway.

Kura

Banned
Nice MS policies are nice. People gets XBOne for Forza mostly and now Titanfall. MS policies doesnt affect those games so people doesnt worry.

I'm sure that after some time, when there are no more awesome exclusives, people will think more about who are giving the money to.

Top Bottom