• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon now displays Metacritic Score

Quick! Everyone overreact while forgetting Steam has done this since like forever ago.
Um... OK this is actually a good point. I usually have to search to find that on Steam though whereas Amazon has it front and center.

Strange thing is I just visited there myself and I'm not seeing MC scores on any game. This better not be April Fools :mad:

vypek

It adds the opinions of professional reviewers to the opinions of consumers. Neither should be taken at face value, but both are potentially useful information in their own ways.

Yes, I agree that they have the potential to be useful in their own ways. I'm more worried that they will be taken at face value because I know many people who would take it at face value. I think Metascores carry a lot of power and it can be problematic sometimes. Personally, I don't think the reviewer being professional really matters. Either way, it is some person's opinion. One person is just paid to do it but they'll have their own bias and problems with certain games. I think Metacritic is terrible for games compared to Gamerankings. I have problems with both systems.

jond76

Banned
I think Metacritic is a bad metric. And why would you need another rating system when you have your own in place? If anything a second one should be amazon verified purchase reviews only.

I would say Amazon verified SHIPPED reviews only.

I have no problem with this considering the bullshit lengths fanboys will go to to leave bad reviews. Most recently: see Titalfall.

This lessens that somewhat.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'll explain one of Metacritic's biggest problems.

You have people who vote games out of 3 stars / 5 stars / 10 points / 100 points. The margin of error is horrendous.

And on top of that they have "trusted" reviewers who normally score 86% lower than the average rating and berate a game for the littlest of things. There have even been cases of false reviewing, and some "reviewers" are still listed as "reliable", who's score affects a game's Metacritic score.

You didn't really explain anything.

Everyone who has engaged in this debate already knows there's a margin of error. How big is it and does it undermine the entire enterprise? That's what you need to explain.

Who are these reviewers that score too low, and is that actually a problem? Logic dictates that there are also reviewers who score too high. The whole point of the metascore is to wash out the extremes.

Bricky

Who really visits metacritic? Their focus isn't games anymore.

I do, and I don't see what is wrong with it. Sure, the way the industry utilises Metacritic is disgusting, but it's still a good way to quickly see the general reception of a game (or movie) and use that as an indication as to whether it's worth its price as a consumer. I also like reading summary quotes from reviews without having to skip through a few of them individually. Of course I don't ignore reading reviews for every game, but I don't want to read multiple reviews just to know if that one indie-game for a few bucks is worth the Steam-sale price or not.

Do you use Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB to see if a movie sucks or not? Well, you're doing the same thing, with the exception Hollywood doesn't give a shit about scores.

The industry needs to change, maybe the reviewers and their weird way of rating games too, not Metacritic. People are targeting their hate in the wrong direction.

Now there's even more pressure on devs to hit a certain metacritic score. This means less polarizing games. Better have a game that has 2 75 reviews than 1 100 and 1 50, right?

Kysen

Doesn't this harm their own bottom line. Who is going to try out a game if they see a score below 50? Lost sale imo.

QaaQer

Don't consumers deserve to know if a game is mediocre or not ?

As if the 20-40 male dilettante critic is able to determine that. You'll just end up with a bunch of same-old same-old AAA games, without challenge, innovation, or difficulty. Oh wait.

styl3s

Considering the fact butthurt salty nerds already give games and movies (IE Star Wars blu-ray) a 1/5 just because they don't want it i don't see how this could make anymore of a real difference.

Star Wars and the theatrical set of LOTR both sit at a 3/5 yet top the charts every sale. The mass consumer wants what the mass consumer wants. People who don't buy a product from amazon because it's X/5 star count are in the minority, there are more Shenmue fans out there which is about 35.

Timeaisis

Probably Amazon testing the waters as far as sales go.

Could be good or bad. Depends on how much more highly rated titles sell versus how much less lower-rated ones do. Interesting experiment.

-griffy-

Banned
Because slapping together 1-5, 1-10, 1-00 into an aggregate of 1-100 as just a plain number with no written review with big reviewers and reviewers nobody has heard of trying to make a name on Metacritic by being the lowest scorer is really really dumb.
And then there's the user reviews, equally as useless and written only in black and white 0/1s or 10/9s with either massive fellating of the game or massive shitting on it

I guess Rotten Tomatoes is dumb in the exact same way then. It's not like they are using some radically unfair algorithm to make a 2/5 act like a 90% or something. It's not complicated in most cases.

Again I ask what is inherently wrong with Metacritic as a review aggregate and not actually just something wrong with scummy publishers being scummy.

And I'm not sure how people think this is going to affect sales or something in any meaningful way, that the (often absurd) user rating or people simply reading reviews of their own volition weren't already doing.

vypek

I would say Amazon verified SHIPPED reviews only.

I have no problem with this considering the bullshit lengths fanboys will go to to leave bad reviews. Most recently: see Titalfall.

This lessens that somewhat.

Oops, I wrote the wrong thing. You're right. I agree with you. I prefer the idea that people actually bought the game and played it. People go through a lot of trouble to tank scores.

Rating works of art on a numeric scale can be fun and even useful, but it is inherently silly and I'm not sure it should hold that much power in the marketplace.

I guess Rotten Tomatoes is dumb in the exact same way then. It's not like they are using some radically unfair algorithm to make a 2/5 act like a 90% or something. It's not complicated in most cases.

Again I ask what is inherently wrong with Metacritic as a review aggregate and not actually just something wrong with scummy publishers being scummy.

And I'm not sure how people think this is going to affect sales or something in any meaningful way, that the (often absurd) user rating or people simply reading reviews of their own volition weren't already doing.

You figured it out huh

I'm terrible

It took me a while to even see it.

I mean its not like the site doesn't already have user reviews.

Sure those will be more helpful to customers.

I find a well-written 3* Amazon review is often more honest and useful than most professional reviews. Even if it's a game I love, a 3* review often gives a fair critique of the game's strengths and weaknesses.

Arya Stark

Neo Member
Um... OK this is actually a good point. I usually have to search to find that on Steam though whereas Amazon has it front and center.

Strange thing is I just visited there myself and I'm not seeing MC scores on any game. This better not be April Fools :mad:

You don't have to search, it's on every game's main page on Steam

ujdGhDS.png

Did we see any outrage towards Steam when they implemented this? I doubt it

daman824

So what's the alternative? Not having them on the site in hopes that no who would be swayed by them sees them? That's not cool. Anyone who would choose whether or not to buy a game based on reviews should have the reviews be easily accessible before dropping their hard earned cash. Sorry your favorite game didn't get the metascore you wanted it to get and now people won't buy it.

And metacritic scores are usually a good indicator of quality. Any game that gets in the high 80's/90's is usually a great game. And games that are 70 and below generally aren't worth your time unless your a fan of the franchise. And if that's the case, you'll buy the game anyway.

tokkun

Because Metacritic isn't a good measure of how good or bad a game is especially when User Ratings are taken to account and unknown blogs out the woodworks have something to say about a game that can either negatively or positively affect a game.

The fact that individual reviews are not reliable is the whole point of why metacritic is valuable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_of_the_crowd

An intuitive and often-cited explanation for this phenomenon is that there is idiosyncratic noise associated with each individual judgment, and taking the average over a large number of responses will go some way toward canceling the effect of this noise

vypek

You don't have to search, it's on every game's main page on Steam

Did we see any outrage towards Steam when they implemented this? I doubt it

Does steam have its own rating system (stars/numerical score) also implemented? Not trying to be a smart-ass, I genuinely don't know. All I remember is that you could write reviews...last time I checked.

The Llama

Eh, whatever. Not sure why anyones so mad about this tbh. Maybe it'll keep a few people from buying crappy games, maybe it'll encourage some people to buy a good game.

I do, and I don't see what is wrong with it. Sure, the way the industry utilises Metacritic is disgusting, but it's still a good way to quickly see the general reception of a game (or movie) and use that as an indication as to whether it's worth its price as a consumer. I also like reading summary quotes from reviews without having to skip through a few of them individually. Of course I don't ignore reading reviews for every game, but I don't want to read multiple reviews just to know if that one indie-game for a few bucks is worth the Steam-sale price or not.

Do you use Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB to see if a movie sucks or not? Well, you're doing the same thing, with the exception Hollywood doesn't give a shit about scores.

The industry needs to change, maybe the reviewers and their weird way of rating games too, not Metacritic. People are targeting their hate in the wrong direction.

Agree on all counts. I get it why you check it, but yeah it's a problem that needs change.

LOLDSFAN

Good. Saves me a step when checking out the rare title I haven't been following at all. The trick is to treat any score above a 65 as something you should do more research on before writing it off. There have been several games on the lower end of that spectrum that appealed highly to my tastes, despite the "low" score. I typically use Metacritic as a barometer for whether or not a game is total shit, but an aggregate score isn't terribly useful for anything more than that.

But Yoshi's New Island has a 64%. The game isn't perfect, but it also shouldn't be passed up. I liked it a lot. Let's bring the notch down to 60%. :p

JABEE

More power in the hands of reviewers, left unchecked to distribute numbers as they please. Buttered up and pampered to impact scores that are displayed directly at the point-of-purchase. No more need to search out the aggregator of subjective thoughts packaged into objective indicator of value, as if to lend said number review definitiveness.

Outlets weighted higher deserve more PR attention than those with less impact on a number completely removed from the context of the review. Most are happy to do this, because readers will take the time to consume and think about the text of the review.

This is not the case. If anything, allowing your numbers and stars to be completely removed from the context of the written text is devaluing your words. By allowing your thoughts on a game to be condensed to a paragraph and a number, a number that will be compiled with other numbers, you are conceding the worth of the text.

It may makes sense to do so from a business perspective, but I don't understand how these numbers removed from their text accurately reflect the opinions and thoughts of the reviewer.

It may help you get access, but reviewers serving to people a completely meaningless number for the sake of its popularity is just puzzling, when it appears that much thought goes into the text itself.

Petrae

Easier way for consumers to get more viewpoints/opinions on a certain game before buying? I'm okay with it, since there isn't a gaming equivalent of Consumer Reports to otherwise look to for definitive reviews or opinions.

It's a service to the customer, giving him/her more information to work from in order to make appropriate buying decisions.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Steam's been doing this for years.

Not sure why this is supposed to be offensive.

breakfuss

WTF. WHY? April Fool's??? What a terrible idea. They have a hard enough time managing the vitriol in their own user reviews.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Doesn't necessarily apply in all cases. A lot of reviewers played Battlefield 4 in a controlled environment completely free of the bugs that people encountered at home, so the scores aren't based on anything remotely resembling what people are actually preparing to buy.

But wouldn't that be true whether there's a Metascore calculated or not? The individual scores would be unrepresentative garbage, but that's not MC's fault. You can blame MC for "legitimizing" the aggregate of those garbage scores, but the root cause of the problem is certainly elsewhere.

Top Bottom