• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Apps no longer behind paywall coming?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
cool if true.
I guess not being the market leader forces changes for the better.

From the look of his tweets, to and extent yes. I'd imagine apps like Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, ie those that require a subscription outside of LIVE, won't be behind the pay wall anymore, same with Free-To-Play.

Parity with PSN is what I expect.

casnix

That's awesome. There's really no reason for them to be behind a paywall when it's free on competing platforms.

Darksol

His tweet didn't inspire any confidence in me that he'll actually act on these undisclosed plans. Hopefully something comes of it though.

"Not saying everyone will love everything, but we have plans!"

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. You have to remember, Phil has hardly ever answered "No" to anything. "Bring back Shenmue Phil!" his response is basically "We have heard this a lot and I have talked to people about this!" He has always responded that they have heard that, they are listening. But until his plan is put into place, I think people should remain patient.

He has only been in charge for like a couple of weeks, and like has been posted before, instead of removing "pay for apps" from Live, they need to be looking at ADDING value to Live. I don't think "pay for apps" would be a big deal if you had other options included with Live such as a PlayStation Plus alternative or something similar.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/452814867171274752

Phil Spencers tweet seems to suggest changes are coming!!

Sure seems that way. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

In Phil we trust

It really feels that we can trust what he says. He seems to, at the very least, want to be honest with us. However, my paranoid anti-corporate side makes me take this with a grain of salt.

In particular, the part where he says "not everyone will love everything". Makes me feel like changes I won't like might be in the near future.

From the look of his tweets, to and extent yes. I'd imagine apps like Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, ie those that require a subscription outside of LIVE, won't be behind the pay wall anymore, same with Free-To-Play.

Parity with PSN is what I expect.

If they do this, then my 360 wouldn't be the worthless box sitting under my TV anymore. Further, there'd be more of a possibility of me looking at getting an Xbox One. Right now, I have zero interest in getting one, but if they turn their money-grubbing ways around it may click up to 20 or 30 (on a scale of 158).

Bumhead

Banned
Good positive start. There are a shit ton of things Microsoft can and should do on a software side.

If they do that then what will make gold look of value.

I suspect we will hear more about a significant increase in the value of Games With Gold at E3.

cyber_ninja

I'll be boned if true. I'll by an xbox in that case.
Nah, not really ; it'll take more than that to convince me to support company that tried to mess with my hobby.

Mr-Joker

Banned
BkOcG1rCcAAF6tU.jpg:large

I guess Amazon calling them out really got to them.

Should've been done long ago.

App paywall was the most archaic thing that Xbox still held to.

I'd argue it's even more archaic than not allowing self-publishing, because at least that was archaic to games content.

App paywall was absurd when there were a ton of devices with all the services provided on an Xbox without the paywall.

styl3s

If they do that then what will make gold look of value.
Putting apps that are free on every other electronic device behind a pay wall doesn't add value because people who don't play online games are just going to watch those apps through their phone, tablet, computer, roku, chrome, PS3, PS4, Wii-U or 900 other devices in their house including their toaster for free.

And believe it or not a lot of people buy the 360/X1 with 0 intentions of playing online.

VanWinkle

If they make what you can do on XB1 without Gold the same as what you can do on PS4 without Plus, I may actually get the system. I'm loving Phil bring the head of this stuff.

I cannot access Two-Day shipping without paying $99 a year for their shitty video service, so fuck you Amazon.

Only person on earth to complain about a free video service with Prime subscription.

iMax

Putting apps that are free on every other electronic device behind a pay wall doesn't add value because people who don't play online games are just going to watch those apps through their phone, tablet, computer, roku, chrome, PS3, PS4, Wii-U or 900 other devices in their house including their toaster for free.

And believe it or not a lot of people buy the 360/X1 with 0 intentions of playing online.

I wonder if there's potential for discounts on services through Xbox Live Gold, e.g. Netflix is $5/mo for Gold Members. Could be an interesting model for them.

No paywall and a partnership with netflix to reduce the subscription to $5 per month if you have Gold.

That was spooky!

Endo Punk

Phil is the man with the right plans. Freeing the apps would be a start in the right direction. They need to show value in live without alienating non-live members. Isn't streaming also behind live?

I bought a PS4 and I'd be pissed if I couldn't access all the features Sony were touting at the reveal event. MS need to start getting really competitive and hopefully this will make Sony do better as well.

I will understand all the praise that people gave Phil Spencer if he ends the apps behind paywall garbage.

It's one of the reasons I have no interest in getting an XB1. Having Skype and Kinect 2.0 is a big selling point for me at least, but who in the hell thought it should be locked behind a paywall, especially when they're trying to get businesses to use it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
No paywall and a partnership with netflix to reduce the subscription to $5 per month if you have Gold.

Probably won't happen but that would be a pretty good move.

I think Spencer is gonna stop the pay well once he also figures out a way to add extra value to Live as well. Announcement might be coming at E3 if I were to guess.

Dragon

Banned
I cannot access Two-Day shipping without paying $99 a year for their shitty video service, so fuck you Amazon.

It'd be more like if you didn't subscribe to Prime and couldn't watch Netflix on your Fire TV. Your analogy doesn't make sense.

Xav

I'm not going to give Microsoft any sort of praise if they drop the paywall behind apps, that shit shouldn't of been there in the first place.

Paying to access something that's free (YouTube) or even worse, something that already has a subscription fee (Sky) is disgusting.

Yes you can. You can pay for it separately and "access" two day shipping. You can pay for netflix separately and still not "access" it on Xbox Live without a Gold sub. Terrible comparison is terrible.

ElRenoRaven

That would be huge if so. Would go a long way towards repairing their reputation. Course I'll believe it when I see it.

Mugatu

That would be great! I have to say, I never felt that taking features away from others added any value to my Gold membership.

I'm going to be the downer voice in all this and say that if this transpires, it's a good thing, but not worthy of praise. It's not an achievement for Phil to do it, it would be rationality and normalcy.

Adding higher quality games to GwG however? That is praise-worthy. Adding greater value is an achievement, not doing what everyone else has done.

I wonder if there's potential for discounts on services through Xbox Live Gold, e.g. Netflix is $5/mo for Gold Members. Could be an interesting model for them.

Why Netflix though?

Realistically, it would make more sense for them to offer discounts on their own services, like Xbox Music and Xbox Video.

Top Bottom