• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Apps no longer behind paywall coming?

Mugatu

I agree it's dumb having apps behind paywall, but this is dumb too, nobody buys gold to watch netflix on their Xbox console.

Well you say that and it's sort of true but I went through periods of not playing any mutliplayer for months and only used my Gold for playing Netflix on my TV so it's sort of false as well (I never set out to do this but that's what happened)

Jawmuncher

Hope it's true MS needs to radically rethink the value of Gold and apps that should already be free does more harm than good.

Chesskid1

Banned
I'm not going to give Microsoft any sort of praise if they drop the paywall behind apps, that shit shouldn't of been there in the first place.

i'm gonna boycott x because it's horrible!

ok, we'll remove x.

still gonna boycott you, you shouldn't have done x in the first place!

I cannot access Two-Day shipping without paying $99 a year for their shitty video service, so fuck you Amazon.

You can still get free shipping on many items. Your analogy really doesn't make sense. It would be like saying you have to pay the Post Office an extra $50 a month for some service, just to use your $99 Amazon Prime account. You don't have to pay an extra fee, on top of the $99 a year, just to use Amazon Prime.

Its just like how you have to pay for Xbox Live about $50 annually, to use your Amazon Instant Video account on your Xbox, which you are already paying $99 a year for. You are paying an extra fee for Live, just to get access to the other subscriptions you are already paying for.

MechDX

xboxlivediamondcardtypo.jpg

Return of the Xbox Live Diamond card. Seriously the physical card itself was cool but I got ZERO discounts from it.

iMax

Why Netflix though?

Realistically, it would make more sense for them to offer discounts on their own services, like Xbox Music and Xbox Video.

It was just an example but yeah, I see that happening first, if anything, with 3rd party services possibly to follow.

Wynnebeck

Banned
His tweet didn't inspire any confidence in me that he'll actually act on these undisclosed plans. Hopefully something comes of it though.

This. Besides, with the money MS makes from XBL at the present, I wouldn't be surprised if this never happens.

styl3s

I wonder if there's potential for discounts on services through Xbox Live Gold, e.g. Netflix is $5/mo for Gold Members. Could be an interesting model for them.

That was spooky!
But what's stopping me from going over to my friends house who doesn't give a shit about Netflix and using his Gold account so i can get Netflix cheaper and just stream it to my PS3, PS4, Roku, WDTV, ipad, S4 etc.? Is it a special netflix account that only works on xbox? Because i would rather pay a few more dollars and stream it anywhere. And if i don't play video games online why would i pay $60 a year to get $3 off netflix when i go months without using it?

Boycott and praise are 2 different words with 2 different meanings.

Removing app paywall is definitely not praise-worthy in my opinion. These kind of things are contextual.

Allowing self-publishing on Xbox? Not-praiseworthy. But free Unity? Very praise-worthy.
Completely agree.

Why should we praise them for doing something that every other company in the world has been doing for years? Oh, thank you great king for allowing me to access these apps i already pay money for without having to pay you to access them! So wonderful and kind of you!

They should of never been behind the paywall to begin with.

i'm gonna boycott x because it's horrible!

ok, we'll remove x.

still gonna boycott you, you shouldn't have done x in the first place!

Boycott and praise are 2 different words with 2 different meanings.

Removing app paywall is definitely not praise-worthy in my opinion. These kind of things are contextual.

Allowing self-publishing on Xbox? Not-praiseworthy. But free Unity? Very praise-worthy.

iMax

It'd be more like if you didn't subscribe to Prime and couldn't watch Netflix on your Fire TV. Your analogy doesn't make sense.

Yes you can. You can pay for it separately and "access" two day shipping. You can pay for netflix separately and still not "access" it on Xbox Live without a Gold sub. Terrible comparison is terrible.

You can still get free shipping on many items. Your analogy really doesn't make sense. It would be like saying you have to pay the Post Office an extra $50 a month for some service, just to use your $99 Amazon Prime account. You don't have to pay an extra fee, on top of the $99 a year, just to use Amazon Prime.

sigh. never mind.

iMax

But what's stopping me from going over to my friends house who doesn't give a shit about Netflix and using his Gold account so i can get Netflix cheaper and just stream it to my PS3, PS4, Roku, WDTV, ipad, S4 etc.? Is it a special netflix account that only works on xbox? Because i would rather pay a few more dollars and stream it anywhere. And if i don't play video games online why would i pay $60 a year to get $3 off netflix when i go months without using it?

You wouldn't, that's why it's an option/incentive.

Dragon

Banned
sigh. never mind.

Explain how it makes sense. Because I don't see it and neither do the two other people you quoted.

Making a big deal of what? It's still news, good news. My point was Amazon are suggesting people are buying gold for Netflix and that's not the case.

It's not news. Nothing is confirmed at all. It's a vague tweet. And your point about Amazon's trolling of Microsoft isn't even a point because you can't possibly make such a statement with the information we have.

They certainly have a literal shit ton of "ideas" and "plans".
Phil has been at the helm for six days now...

Not to mention a lot of these "ideas" Xbox has acted on already via OS updates this year. They're already righting the ship and once Phil settles in I'm sure we'll see that Xbox is in better hands. Give him time. He's already mentioned games in these six days more than Mattrick ever did.

iMax

Explain how it makes sense. Because I don't see it and neither do the two other people you quoted.

Because I used to pay a certain amount just to get my unlimited free shipping on Amazon. Then they increased the price to bundle in video, which I don't want or need, but I still have to pay for because I still want the fast shipping. Make sense? I just think it's slightly ironic on their part to say that.

styl3s

You wouldn't, that's why it's an option/incentive.
The whole point of my argument is what is the value of gold if you don't play online games.

You replied Netflix discount, why would i spend $60 a month to get $3 off? I end up spending like $30 more a year for netflix, that isn't real incentive.

Maybe their "vision" is in "development" and will be "revealed" at E3?

It's possible they are aiming for a 'for the gamers' E3 type event to emulate Sony last year. And I'm taking issue with plans and ideas from both significant parties, I'm overwhelmingly disappointed in the software updates for the PS4.

It's still news, good news.

It's a non-committal Phil Spencer tweet that vaguely implies changes.

I agree that this change is very likely, ( because app paywall was dumb to begin with ) but it's not really news, just as much as Spencer talking about KoToR : Anniversary and bringing up various old IPs on Twitter being 'news.'

iMax

The whole point of my argument is what is the value of gold if you don't play online games.

You replied Netflix discount, why would i spend $60 a month to get $3 off? I end up spending like $30 more a year for netflix, that isn't real incentive.

Because it makes the value proposition stronger than it is today.

Dragon

Banned
Because I used to pay a certain amount just to get my unlimited free shipping on Amazon. Then they increased the price to bundle in video, which I don't want or need, but I still have to pay for because I still want the fast shipping. Make sense? I just think it's slightly ironic on their part to say that.

You can still get two day shipping without Prime though as others have said. The point others are making is accessing other companies' subscription based services does not require anything on Amazon's devices but it does on the Xbox currently. What you're saying doesn't discount that, and even if it was a valid comparison, wouldn't change it. Being hypocritical doesn't mean you're wrong, it just means you're inconsistent.

RE_Player

If they change it they just have to do it one day. If they prop this up as some sort of announcement at E3 it would be idiotic.

Sean

Banned
xboxlivediamondcardtypo.jpg

Return of the Xbox Live Diamond card. Seriously the physical card itself was cool but I got ZERO discounts from it.

While mostly useless they had a few great deals. Buy one get one free on Quiznos Subs that you could use over and over for the first few months. I got fat as fuck from taking advantage of that.

styl3s

Because it makes the value proposition stronger than it is today.
This argument is just flying right over your head isn't it?

Let me try to rephrase my statement and explain where I am coming from. I own a xbox but i don't play xbox online nor do i have any interest so why would I spend $60 a month to get $3 discount on Netflix when in the long run i am actually spending more money and not saving? You are missing the argument here.

What is the incentive for XBL gold for people who have absolutely 0 interest in playing online games? $3 x 12 months = $36 and i am paying $60 for 12 months. That isn't a discount. That isn't incentive. Show me $60 worth of incentive.

Mugatu

Not to nitpick but video was included for years before the price jump - the reason for which is more likely the increase in shipping due to fuel costs.

Dragon

Banned
If they change it they just have to do it one day. If they prop this up as some sort of announcement at E3 it would be idiotic.

E3 isn't very far away, it would make sense as something thrown in as a list of bullet points somewhere, but yeah they shouldn't make a big deal about it, because it should be like this already.

iMax

You can still get two day shipping without Prime though as others have said. The point others are making is accessing other companies' subscription based services does not require anything on Amazon's devices but it does on the Xbox currently. What you're saying doesn't discount that, and even if it was a valid comparison, wouldn't change it. Being hypocritical doesn't mean you're wrong, it just means you're inconsistent.

Not without paying separately for each order, I can't. It was a great deal. Now it's not.

jdmonmou

I hope they have more in store than just removing the paywall for apps.

Better games on Games with Gold would be a good start. They should go even further by giving Gold subscribers a 5-10% discount on all games purchased in the marketplace and offering a games rental service like what Sony plans to do with Playstation Now.

iMax

This argument is just flying right over your head isn't it?

Let me try to rephrase my statement and explain where I am coming from. I own a xbox but i don't play xbox online nor do i have any interest so why would I spend $60 a month to get $3 discount on Netflix when in the long run i am actually spending more money and not saving? You are missing the argument here.

What is the incentive for XBL gold for people who have absolutely 0 interest in playing online games? $3 x 12 months = $36 and i am paying $60 for 12 months. That isn't a discount. That isn't incentive. Show me $60 worth of incentive.

I think you're missing it, dude! Why would you pay for Xbox Live if you didn't play games? You wouldn't. Without the paywall, you'd still be able to access all the services you want but there's an incentive for users to get the services they use cheaper, bundled along with other benefits, e.g. Games with Gold, multiplayer, etc...

Dragon

Banned
Not without paying separately for each order, I can't. It was a great deal. Now it's not.

So don't buy it? I don't see what's so hard about this? What you're talking about is only slightly on topic, as it involves Amazon and Microsoft, but really has nothing to do with Live Gold being required for things like Netflix.

styl3s

I think you're missing it, dude! Why would you pay for Xbox Live if you didn't play games? You wouldn't. Without the paywall, you'd still be able to access all the services you want but there's an incentive for users to get the services they use cheaper, bundled along with other benefits, e.g. Games with Gold, multiplayer, etc...
Did you not even read my original post that replied to? Because my entire fucking argument is for people (like me) who don't play online games on xbox. My whole argument is how putting apps i can get elsewhere behind a paywall is stupid and it's stupid for everyone else that doesn't play games on XBL. If you want me (and those people) to subscribe we need incentive.

Jesus fucking christ man.. Read next time.

iMax

Not to nitpick but video was included for years before the price jump - the reason for which is more likely the increase in shipping due to fuel costs.

Not here it's not ;)

Maybe that's why my analogy was falling flat — assumed it was the same in the US!

iMax

Did you not even read my original post that replied to? Because my entire fucking argument is for people (like me) who don't play online games on xbox. My whole argument is how putting apps i can get elsewhere behind a paywall is stupid and it's stupid for everyone else that doesn't play games on XBL. If you want me (and those people) to subscribe we need incentive.

Jesus fucking christ man.. Read next time.

LOL.

I don't think you understand. It's an incentive for PS4 users, for example, who might get a second console. It serves as a differentiator. Apple do a very similar thing, actually, offering up subscriptions to third party services through iTunes and its billing system. Why would you get Xbox Live if you didn't play games online? That's exactly what Microsoft wants to address and it's what Sony's been doing already.

I agree it's dumb having apps behind paywall, but this is dumb too, nobody buys gold to watch netflix on their Xbox console.
It sounds dumb, but just before I came to my senses and cancelled my subscription, it occurred to me that I had been doing exactly that for about 2 years as there had been pretty much no games I felt like playing online.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It has never made sense, and I started using my 360 way less because of it. Even when they had the YouTube app long before PS3, it was meaningless to me and never got to use it.

Its just pure brand negative reinforcement for what they perceive as penny pinching but as Amazon rightly targeted, who is going to get Xbox Live just for Netflix or Facebook?

It all became especially ridiculous in the smartphone and tablet world where such apps are just free downloads forever.

Biker19

Banned
I'm not going to give Microsoft any sort of praise if they drop the paywall behind apps, that shit shouldn't of been there in the first place.

Paying to access something that's free (YouTube) or even worse, something that already has a subscription fee (Sky) is disgusting.

Exactly. Though I have a feeling that Microsoft still have their heads stuck in the sand.

LX_Theo

Banned
So basically, they are tired of people using their exploitation against them and they see this as an opportunity to get some goodwill (despite simply going to industry standards)

Nev

Banned
Will Microsoft be the first to realise multiplayer behind a paywall in a world where the most profitable and succesful games are F2P (or at least with free multiplayer, like Minecraft) and get rid of that ridiculous concept? Sony would end up looking totally ridiculous.

styl3s

LOL.

I don't think you understand. It's an incentive for PS4 users, for example, who might get a second console. It serves as a differentiator. Apple do a very similar thing, actually, offering up subscriptions to third party services through iTunes and its billing system. Why would you get Xbox Live if you didn't play games online? That's exactly what Microsoft wants to address and it's what Sony's been doing already.
No, i don't think YOU understand.

And nice on the LOL and edit a minute later trying to save the argument against something i never brought up. Scroll up to my original argument. I am arguing how it's stupid to put something behind a paywall that is free elsewhere and how if they want the people who don't play games to pay for the service they should give incentive. Read the fine print next time you want to argue.

Will Microsoft be the first to realise multiplayer behind a paywall in a world where the most profitable and succesful games in the planet are F2P and get rid of that ridiculous concept? Sony would end up looking totally ridiculous.

Except that F2P games on PS4 isn't behind a paywall.

And MS wouldn't be the first company.

It would be Nintendo, for never having a paywall to begin with.

jelly

I subscribed to Xbox Music/Zune pass once and you still needed Gold to use it on Xbox 360 which comes as no surprise but a Microsoft subscription to access a Microsoft subscription seems ridiculous but shamefully true.

Biker19

Banned
No, i don't think YOU understand.

And nice on the LOL and edit a minute later trying to save the argument against something i never brought up. Scroll up to my original argument. I am arguing how it's stupid to put something behind a paywall that is free elsewhere and how if they want the people who don't play games to pay for the service they should give incentive. Read the fine print next time you want to argue.

I wouldn't even bother. Just ignore him.

Top Bottom