• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Apps no longer behind paywall coming?

Will Microsoft be the first to realise multiplayer behind a paywall in a world where the most profitable and succesful games are F2P (or at least with free multiplayer, like Minecraft) and get rid of that ridiculous concept? Sony would end up looking totally ridiculous.

They gotta pay for those 300,000 servers broham.

level44

It's a shame we're praising the option to have the ability to use free apps without a paywall but nonetheless this is good news.

iMax

After he said in the major Nelson interview he started with a Speccy and Commadores then an Atari ST I was 100% on board.

App paywall needs to go for gold.

Yup.

No, i don't think YOU understand.

And nice on the LOL and edit a minute later trying to save the argument against something i never brought up. Scroll up to my original argument. I am arguing how it's stupid to put something behind a paywall that is free elsewhere and how if they want the people who don't play games to pay for the service they should give incentive. Read the fine print next time you want to argue.

Show me where I've argued with you on this. People have said removing the paywall devalues the service, rightly or wrongly. Either way, they need to ADD value to their paid service, like Sony does, with benefits and deals. Obviously this runs ALONGSIDE the paywall-free service, because it's an INCENTIVE. If you don't understand, ask me and I'll help. Don't be so rude.

Will Microsoft be the first to realise multiplayer behind a paywall in a world where the most profitable and succesful games are F2P (or at least with free multiplayer, like Minecraft) and get rid of that ridiculous concept? Sony would end up looking totally ridiculous.

Why would Sony look ridiculous when they currently have F2P games on their service (WarFrame, Blacklight, DC Universe) and they do not require Plus?

jelly

I've been thinking what a sucker punch that would be but easy money with online players, they will continue. Would be great to see though.

Mindlog

no app paywall and games for gold with newer games.
Disagree!
Better games.

Blood Money > Absolution.

Undervalued Games in 'niche' genres.
Tropico 4. Viva Pinata.

I hate the GWG/PS+ list wars. It makes it too tempting to saturate the services with more AAA. Use this as an opportunity to push lesser known quality.

Tigress

I agree it's dumb having apps behind paywall, but this is dumb too, nobody buys gold to watch netflix on their Xbox console.

Actually I've seen people write that they have. But... Probably few people do (anyone who does research would realize it is cheaper to buy another box to watch Netflix than to continually pay for Gold). Which makes the policy extra stupid cause it really doesn't convince many to buy gold and only serves to piss people off (like me who refuses to even consider gold until that policy is gone. I don't even need Xbox to do any of that cause my PS does Netflix and hbo go but it is the principle of the matter to me).

Kalm

Good news, if true.

I've wanted to let my sub' lapse a couple times during droughts.

I'll never understand why they locked everything behind Gold for so long. It gets horrible PR and unlocking them probably won't cost them many subs' anyway -- is there really a person out there paying $50/year solely for apps?

Bgamer90

Banned
It needs to happen. Xboxes (One/360) are the only media boxes that have these apps behind the paywall. It's 2014 and very outdated.

What they need to do is add more value to Gold via digital games. $60/year for online play and say, $10 off all digital games. That would be cool.

Tigress

Because I used to pay a certain amount just to get my unlimited free shipping on Amazon. Then they increased the price to bundle in video, which I don't want or need, but I still have to pay for because I still want the fast shipping. Make sense? I just think it's slightly ironic on their part to say that.

Um they included video way before the price increase. The price increase was just that, a price increase probably because their costs for shipping are going up. At the same time they also made it so that you have to spend 35 dollars if you are not a prime member to get free shipping.

iMax

Um they included video way before the price increase. The price increase was just that, a price increase probably because their costs for shipping are going up. At the same time they also made it so that you have to spend 35 dollars if you are not a prime member to get free shipping.

Yeah, sorry man, they hiked the price in the UK just a couple of weeks back in the exact way I mentioned. Assumed the same happened across the pond!

They certainly have a literal shit ton of "ideas" and "plans".

Can you blame them?
Free PR without doing anything is the best PR.

Disagree!
Better games.

Blood Money > Absolution.

Undervalued Games in 'niche' genres.
Tropico 4. Viva Pinata.

I hate the GWG/PS+ list wars. It makes it too tempting to saturate the services with more AAA. Use this as an opportunity to push lesser known quality.

"Blood Money? Isn't that $3 in the bargain bin?"
"Indies? I didn't buy my next-gen consoles for indies!"

Bgamer90

Banned
I agree it's dumb having apps behind paywall, but this is dumb too, nobody buys gold to watch netflix on their Xbox console.

Yeah I agree that very few do. Many get it for online play. On top of that, there's literally no reason why a person should spend $60 on XBL. There are always deals on it for $40 or less.

Biker19

Banned
Show me where I've argued with you on this. People have said removing the paywall devalues the service, rightly or wrongly. Either way, they need to ADD value to their paid service, like Sony does, with benefits and deals. Obviously this runs ALONGSIDE the paywall-free service, because it's an INCENTIVE. If you don't understand, ask me and I'll help. Don't be so rude.

I don't think you still get it. What styl3s is saying, is that he shouldn't have to pay $60 a year just to access apps that are free everywhere else, especially when posters like him don't do online play/online gaming.

On Demand

Banned
How much does gold make MS a year? Their current plan has been successful for years. I doubt they'll make any massive changes.

iMax

I don't think you still get it. What styl3s is saying, is that he shouldn't have to pay $60 a year just to access apps that are free everywhere else, especially when posters like him don't do online play/online gaming.

He shouldn't. I agree, dammit!

I'm saying that if Microsoft removes the paywall, which hopefully they will, they will need to offer additional incentives and benefits to justify the cost of Xbox Live Gold, just like Sony does, through discounts, offers, and deals, possibly like the ideas I mentioned.

Make sense? It's what I've been saying all along...

RulkezX

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. That tweet says nothing past "we have plans" , he even more or less says they may not be popular ones.

Salex_

Good thing multiplayer is free on PlayStation 4. Lead the way, SONY!

It's free for F2P games. In case anyone is wondering, this is why they put non-F2P multiplayer games behind PS+.
iI9rlWPufvcYX.png
Remember that MS released pretty much no games between Q1-Q3 and PS+ subscriptions skyrocketed in Q4. If I didn't get get so much value from PS+ I would complain, but I got my 30 dollars worth on day 1 from my Vita.

ypo

They are already 8 years too late and they are still at the *having plans* stage. Way to go. All around praises.

What a lame ass policy.

Jomjom

Banned
Sorry Phil you get no praise for having "plans" to change something that should have been changed almost a decade ago. Not being market leader sucks huh?

Bgamer90

Banned
Sorry Phil you get no praise for having "plans" to change something that should have been changed almost a decade ago. Not being market leader sucks huh?

Heh, I don't get this post. Snark for snark's sake. He's not asking for praise (he didn't make the thread) -- heck, his tweet even says to "pile on" the blames/hate; for all we know he could have talked about removing apps behind paywall at MS during the 360 gen.

Amir0x

Banned
Fantastic, it's one of the few remaining hurdles to me getting an XBO. ID@Xbox Policy, price and this and we're done.

ypo

Not without paying separately for each order, I can't. It was a great deal. Now it's not.

I know what u mean bro, like every other company in the world is offerering free 2-day shipping but Amazon is holding it hostage behind a pay wall, bro let's fist pump! HUH!

Jomjom

Banned
Heh, I don't get this post. Snark for snark's sake. He's not asking for praise (he didn't make the thread) -- heck, his tweet even says to "pile on" the blames/hate; for all we know he could have talked about removing apps behind paywall at MS during the 360 gen.

Im doing exactly what he suggests people do. Dont be so naive, heads of divisions dont tweet without knowing full well what they are doing. MS is doing exactly what Sony did in trying to be "for the gamers" except this move is something that should have been done long long ago. You dont get credit for that (and yes he tweeted that hoping for exactly that). Tweet about how people will get more than 2 games a month or more discounts on digital, and I'll praise that.

You're right. They buy it because so much functionality is held hostage by the fee otherwise; not just Netflix.

Xbox Live Gold is a ripoff. It has been for a long time. Charging a fee isn't a totally unfair idea, but the current value proposition is moronic. There's a long way to go, but removing that paywall is a good start.

Vitacat

Too late. They lost me to PS Plus a couple of years ago when I gave up my Gold. Sony just offers a better value and more perks for less money.

Since then I've become a mostly PS gamer, when before I only had a 360 for a while. No plans to get an XBone.

Snooze you lose, M$.

LX_Theo

Banned
I have a feeling this E3 is going to be huge for Xbox..

I think they already made their desperation push last E3 in announcing basically everything they had lined up game wise. The best I can see them doing this year is maybe one new game, some trailers for already announced games, hyping up policies changes that should have been there in the first place, and maybe a price drop. It would be good for them, but I can't see them pushing anything stronger than that.

As much as I'd love to say I'll jump back in, the Project Morpheus reveal sealed the deal for me. Will be the first console generation I don't get all three leading platforms. I've got a PS4 and a Wii U, and that's all I can handle with what little free time I have in my life at this point. I can see myself using Project Morpheus as my lead gaming platform for the foreseeable future upon it's release.

Would love to see Halo 5 gameplay though. Has the potential to be simply stunning. And I can't wait to see what changes come to Xbox now that Phil is in charge. I've always thought he was a great leader. Seems very intense and genuine.

Miles X

I think they already made their desperation push last E3 in announcing basically everything they had lined up game wise. The best I can see them doing this year is maybe one new game, some trailers for already announced games, hyping up policies changes that should have been there in the first place, and maybe a price drop. It would be good for them, but I can't see them pushing anything stronger than that.

LXP, Rare, Twisted Pixel, Press Play, Lionhead, Lift London, Good Science and Next still have stuff to show, plus third/second party stuff (Ruffian, Playground, Harmonic, Undead Labs). Who knows what third party stuff they've bought/collaborated with. You'd be foolish to think they're only gonna come on stage with a couple new things to show.

ShapeGSX

You're right. They buy it because so much functionality is held hostage by the fee otherwise; not just Netflix.

Xbox Live Gold is a ripoff. It has been for a long time. Charging a fee isn't a totally unfair idea, but the current value proposition is moronic. There's a long way to go, but removing that paywall is a good start.

I'm confused. Why would removing the paywall increase the value of Live Gold?

Top Bottom