• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Apps no longer behind paywall coming?

E92 M3

E3 is going to be huge - Phil will make sure of it. He's doing everything we ever wanted for the Xbox. I hope his plans come to fruition. Sataya is also modernizing how MS deals with customers.

Too late. They lost me to PS Plus a couple of years ago when I gave up my Gold. Sony just offers a better value and more perks for less money.

Since then I've become a mostly PS gamer, when before I only had a 360 for a while. No plans to get an XBone.

Snooze you lose, M$.

Was going to reply until I saw the last line, would be a waste of time.

I think they already made their desperation push last E3 in announcing basically everything they had lined up game wise. The best I can see them doing this year is maybe one new game, some trailers for already announced games, hyping up policies changes that should have been there in the first place, and maybe a price drop. It would be good for them, but I can't see them pushing anything stronger than that.

I disagree, I think theres enough to announce in downloadable games, titles for next year to have more than 1 game. They wont do what Sony did at E3 last year, which despite all their stuff on indies and policies, actually announced nothing that would get me excited for PS4.

Plus (unsurprisingly) they seem pretty confident in their line-up, they will know they need to keep new content coming in sequels/reboots of IPs and new stuff to capture people.

2014 is likely to be: H2A, Forza Horison 2, Sunset Overdrive, possibly Quantum Break.
The first two are unannounced and would already be more than just 1 game announcement.
All they then have announced thats outstanding for 2015 would be Halo 5 and Fable Legends... which Halo will come in the latter half of the year and Fable Legends could be at anytime, even adding in a potential Forza 6 I still think they'll have other new retail IPs coming (plus Kinect stuff)

Raide

I like this direct Phil seems to be taking Xbox. If he can live up to his grand promises, it would be a good turning point for MS. Its not like they are doing badly this gen but they certainly need to start giving people reasons to jump in.

Rsinart

Haven't touched my xbox one since release week cause my Live ran out and there has been no games I want to play. Would be nice to be able to use it for Netflix, and Hulu, without the need for Live. Just can't see paying for a service to play games I don't have just to be able to play services I already pay a monthly fee for. My xbox one has been a giant brick since I got it.

Plus (unsurprisingly) they seem pretty confident in their line-up, they will know they need to keep new content coming in sequels/reboots of IPs and new stuff to capture people.

2014 is likely to be: H2A, Forza Horison 2, Sunset Overdrive, possibly Quantum Break.
The first two are unannounced and would already be more than just 1 game announcement.
All they then have announced thats outstanding for 2015 would be Halo 5 and Fable Legends... which Halo will come in the latter half of the year and Fable Legends could be at anytime, even adding in a potential Forza 6 I still think they'll have other new retail IPs coming (plus Kinect stuff)

So a remake of a game I played 10 years ago and another Forza. I would honestly expect a lot more because if that's all they have to announce it's going to be a disappointing E3. This is where their lack of first party support will really bite them back

How is that a problem?
Sounds like a good thing.

It's a problem for MS. Once Sony's first party gets going they'll have the best exclusives and the best version of multiplats. They need to do something before that happens

LXP, Rare, Twisted Pixel, Press Play, Lionhead, Lift London, Good Science and Next still have stuff to show, plus third/second party stuff (Ruffian, Playground, Harmonic, Undead Labs). Who knows what third party stuff they've bought/collaborated with. You'd be foolish to think they're only gonna come on stage with a couple new things to show.

I think its probably unwise to include LXP and Next, we dont have anything specific on them in terms of what they're doing and it could be a long way off. Good Science have been MIA for a while so who knows what is going on there.
Press Play did say their next title is coming later this year for 360/One though so that will be interesting

iPlayer is already on the 360 and will apparently be coming to X1 during this month.

Where did you hear that?

So a remake of a game I played 10 years ago and another Forza. I would honestly expect a lot more because if that's all they have to announce it's going to be a disappointing E3. This is where their lack of first party support will really bite them back

Along with at least one (potentially two) new AAA IPs from two developers that are highly regarded?

All this fuss about lack of first party support is ridiculous when they've shown they can (and will) work with developers they dont own. Its not like the Xbox One is starved for exclusive content.
Was your attitude similar when Killzone Shadow Fall was announced? (the 6th Killzone game) or Uncharted 4? (The 5th Uncharted game)

It's a problem for MS. Once Sony's first party gets going they'll have the best exclusives and the best version of multiplats. They need to do something before that happens

This is very presumptuous that you think Sony has the best exclusive line-up. Just because they have the bigger first party studios team doesnt mean they make the best games. It may be the case to you personally prefer Sony's exclusives (which is fine) but I got an Xbox One first because I prefer the games Microsoft publish.

The Flash

Banned
U1RPSQm.png

Alright guys, let's starting blaming Phil for the parity clause and see what happens.

Quite a statement right there.

Nonetheless, I still don't see the problem. PlayStation having a strong E3 doesn't stop Xbox from having a strong E3 too...

Fox Mulder

Without the apps behind a paywall they'll have to add some actual value to XBLG. Wonder what they'll do

would they?

I attribute no value to IE, YouTube, Netflix, or Hulu since they're everywhere already. People buy Live because its required for online multiplayer. They had to throw things behind a pay wall because psn was free and now it isn't.

Live is a solid service that has been stable all Gen and never got hacked. Maybe they could match the kinds of newer games you get with ps+.

FyreWulff

They should.

They literally pissed away their Netflix userbase by insisting on charging for Gold to use it on the 360. Everyone went to the PS3 and Wii .

I'm confused. Why would removing the paywall increase the value of Live Gold?

It wouldn't give it more value. There wasn't any "value" in paying to get something people can get for free in the first place. Creating the lockout was a negative. I said that Live is a ripoff in its current state. Removing a paywall just makes the service a net zero, as opposed to a negative.

They need to add value, like discounts or games. Those would make the service more valuable. Removing unnecessary lockouts seems a step in the right direction for proving that MS understands what "value" actually means.

Along with at least one (potentially two) new AAA IPs from two developers that are highly regarded?

All this fuss about lack of first party support is ridiculous when they've shown they can (and will) work with developers they dont own. Its not like the Xbox One is starved for exclusive content.
Was your attitude similar when Killzone Shadow Fall was announced? (the 6th Killzone game) or Uncharted 4? (The 5th Uncharted game)

Wait, two highly regarded developers? I assume you're talking about QB, which is definitely big (but I'm holding out for a PC version down the road).

The other must be Insomniac? That's news to me, why exactly is Insomniac so highly regarded? Last I checked, they've been mediocre for years, ever since ACiT. They ruined Resistance, and they treat Ratchet like complete crap (seriously, it's like they only ever car about it as a cash cow for their other projects). All4One and FFA were terrible and Into the Nexus was average at best.

If they were so highly regarded, I wouldn't be hoping for Sony to give Ratchet to another dev. The IP deserves so much better. Unless I'm missing something here?

Eh, H2A is as exciting as TLoU PS4. Both are great games and will be fantastic to replay with better visuals, etc.

And Horizon 2 is just as exciting as Drive Club. If not more based on the swamplands rumours.

Not sure what the problem is with either of those titles...

No issue, but if that's all they have to show then damn, pretty bad. We know Sony will have plenty more than just TLOU and Driveclub (if that ever comes out). E3 2014 should also offer a glimpse of 2015, and so far all MS has for 2015 is Fable Legends, another Halo and probably another Forza. I'd hope they would show more than just that. I have similar expectations of Sony, they can't just wing it like last time (I really want some UC4 gameplay to be shown).

So a remake of a game I played 10 years ago and another Forza. I would honestly expect a lot more because if that's all they have to announce it's going to be a disappointing E3. This is where their lack of first party support will really bite them back.

Eh, H2A is as exciting as TLoU PS4. Both are great games and will be fantastic to replay with better visuals, etc.

And Horizon 2 is just as exciting as Drive Club. If not more based on the swamplands rumours.

They will lose even more subscribers won't they? Some people only have gold to do the other things.

The idea should be that they get rid of the apps behind the paywall and try and do something else to provide value to subscribers to keep those people.

Games with Gold is coming to Xbox One and I think it'll be there by E3 at the latest (suggestions of an announcement earlier have so far not come true)

Wait, two highly regarded developers? I assume you're talking about QB, which is definitely big (but I'm holding out for a PC version down the road).

The other must be Insomniac? That's news to me, why exactly is Insomniac so highly regarded? Last I checked, they've been mediocre for years, ever since ACiT. They ruined Resistance, and they treat Ratchet like complete crap (seriously, it's like they only ever car about it as a cash cow for their other projects). All4One and FFA were terrible and Into the Nexus was average at best.

If they were so highly regarded, I wouldn't be hoping for Sony to give Ratchet to another dev. The IP deserves so much better. Unless I'm missing something here?

You dont speak for everyone. From my personal experience I liked the first two Resistance games, ive not played the third (its sitting on my desk). The main Insomniac team are making Sunset Overdrive and the yearly R&C games are being made by their second team, I also really liked the first R&C on PS3 (not played the second). They were making titles every year and clearly the process caught up with them. I would consider Insomniac a highly rated developer and its clear they moved away from Sony to have more freedom which they didnt get from EA either, but hopefully are with MS.

They talked about EA didnt support the direction of Overstrike and with MS its nice to have a publisher that supports the game they want to make.

Too late. They lost me to PS Plus a couple of years ago when I gave up my Gold. Sony just offers a better value and more perks for less money.

Since then I've become a mostly PS gamer, when before I only had a 360 for a while. No plans to get an XBone.

Snooze you lose, M$.

Sums up my thoughts completely, minus the last line.

They've gotten away with their crap for far too long really. I just let my gold sub expire after a while and have no plans of renewing or picking up an XBone. Furthermore, not only have they screwed people over for years now, they're going to keep on doing it while these "plans" are being written out. In the end, the people who funded gold till this day will probably get nothing for it. In fact, I bet the message will be worded such that the customers should be thankful that this is finally happening.

Miles X

Sequels can't be fun apparently. Did last year not teach people anything ... MS pull ace's out of the hat all the time. Dead Rising, Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive, Project Spark, Titanfall, Quantum Break were all unknowns around E3. Mix of first, second and third party there.

Bsigg12

Remakes of older titles have never been system sellers.

Could an included Halo 5 beta in the H2A package be?

Anyways, this first year should be really interesting under Phil Spencer. After listening to the podcast with Major Nelson, I think there's a lot of hope for the future for Xbox.

Edit: could a graphically inclined member make me a Obama Hope picture with Phil Spencer instead?

Remakes of older titles have never been system sellers.

Sure, but a good game is a good game and if H2A is well made and features 1:1 MP with OG Halo 2, I could see it shifting more than a few units. Not to mention the addition of a H5 beta potentially pushing a few people over the edge.

Sequels can't be fun apparently. Did last year not teach people anything ... MS pull ace's out of the hat all the time. Dead Rising, Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive, Project Spark, Titanfall, Quantum Break were all unknowns around E3. Mix of first, second and third party there.

Yeah, I think we'll see a few surprises from MS, but likely not as many as last year. We'll finally see some Sunset gameplay and perhaps an extended QB demo...

I cannot access Two-Day shipping without paying $99 a year for their shitty video service, so fuck you Amazon.

Holy shit, when did it go up to $99? What a fucking scam. I used to get it for free with my University, then paid I think $30 per year for two years, and now it's $99?! That's absolutely ridiculous. It's not even worth $30 save for the convenience factor. I mean, you're not even saving money. They mark up all the Prime products to make up for that "free" shipping. Jesus, fuck Amazon.

ITT: some people complain about a stupid policy being reversed.

Can't wait for the thread about the parity clause dropping.

You dont speak for everyone. From my personal experience I liked the first two Resistance games, ive not played the third (its sitting on my desk). The main Insomniac team are making Sunset Overdrive and the yearly R&C games are being made by their second team, I also really liked the first R&C on PS3 (not played the second). They were making titles every year and clearly the process caught up with them. I would consider Insomniac a highly rated developer and its clear they moved away from Sony to have more freedom which they didnt get from EA either, but hopefully are with MS.

They talked about EA didnt support the direction of Overstrike and with MS its nice to have a publisher that supports the game they want to make.

I know I don't speak for everyone (it's all my opinion after all), but it is the general consensus (see metacritic, user reviews, sales numbers and general discussion). I just wouldn't say they're "highly regarded", far from it. They're an average dev nowadays (at best, I'd say more along the lines of mediocre), which is why I just don't get where the hype for SO is coming from (after all, all we've seen is a CGI trailer). It doesn't change the fact that they've put out 2 terrible Ratchet games, 1 mediocre Ratchet, Fuse (lol), and ran the Resistance franchise into the ground with poor decisions (the sales numbers speak for themselves).

The fact that they gave Ratchet to their B team is exactly what I don't like. I feel it deserves better, and hopefully another Dev can have a shot of it. Insomniac wants to move on anyways, so why not? I'd like to see them live without having to lean on their Ratchet clutch.

As for the EA thing, I'm pretty sure Insomniac has said EA had nothing to do with the change. Wasn't it focus testing that led to the changes? So yea, again I ask, what exactly is there to hold in such high regard? Resistance, Tools of destruction, and ACiT were all great, but that was years ago.

True, but could Halo 2 Anniversary actually be one IF the multiplayer is done effectively?

I doubt Halo is magically the exception the rule. The MP was great, yes, but it's still a game people played 10 years ago. Outside of the big Halo fans who yearn for those days (people who were going to get an X1 anyways), it won't be much of a system seller for the mainstream. It's a good complement for people who already own and X1, but it's not going to move boxes that much.

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. You have to remember, Phil has hardly ever answered "No" to anything. "Bring back Shenmue Phil!" his response is basically "We have heard this a lot and I have talked to people about this!" He has always responded that they have heard that, they are listening. But until his plan is put into place, I think people should remain patient.
Shhhh you're giving away his secrets!

He does it well. Should be a politician. Well, his counterparts do the same too of course but for some reason people like to go in balls first with this guy because he has actually played a video game.

Ultimately anyone in charge of any party would have the same ambitions.

All sides would want Shenmue 3. All sides would want free multiplayer. All sides would want apps outside of a pay wall. All sides would like AAA titles for free every month because it is their job to offer the best value to their customers.

However they have to do that within a budget, so it is naive to lap everything up when someone says 'yeah I'm going to look into that, I hear what everyone is saying' to any pipe dream question that comes their way.

Bsigg12

Lol what. Its not even the same thing. you pay 99 for 2 day shipping and free Video stuff.

I am supposed to pay $99 because of a shitty video service I don't want or use. I got one more year in at $79 so once that's up I'm cancelling my Prime membership.

I am supposed to pay $99 because of a shitty video service I don't want or use. I got one more year in at $79 so once that's up I'm cancelling my Prime membership.

You can access 2 day shipping without prime, you just have to pay for it. That analogy makes no sense. I pay it mostly for the free two day shipping (since I order a tons of stuff from them). Instant Video and Kindle Lender's Library are just added bonuses

This is very presumptuous that you think Sony has the best exclusive line-up. Just because they have the bigger first party studios team doesnt mean they make the best games. It may be the case to you personally prefer Sony's exclusives (which is fine) but I got an Xbox One first because I prefer the games Microsoft publish.

Oh of course. If you're a big Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable fan then obviously the X1 is for you. I'm not arguing that.

But objectively, Sony has the better first party studio (one look at past GOTYs, and general consensus will show that).

And you earlier mentioned Killzone being the sixth entry. When it was announced I was excited but the game underdelivered. The main issue with your argument is that though Sony does release sequels (who said they didn't?) they also release a lot of new IPs to go along with them. For the last few years, MS relied exclusively on the usual, monotonous Gears/Forza, Halo/Forza yearly cycle with Fable sprinkled around. They don't seem to be changing that either which I don't like.

2014: Halo/Forza
2015: Halo/Forza/Fable
2016: Gears/Forza

Despite what you want to believe, not a lot of people feel happy about the idea of either one of those games having Sequels. However Sony studios are capable of new IPs which have been demonstrated by TLOU and others. There is a huge difference. Considering we have yet to see MS studio's make a new IP outside if their core games, it's still a reasonable way to look at the situation. Can i343 deliver something that isn't Halo? Something on the lines of that.

FyreWulff

I'm pretty sure the price didn't go up due to the video service. It went up because shipping got more expensive. It maintained it's price for 9 years.

Beant

People that think MS is going to remove the paywall for multiplayer on live, or even considering it are 100% insane.

Bsigg12

You can access 2 day shipping without prime, you just have to pay for it. That analogy makes no sense.

I order enough stuff in the year to cover the $79 in what would be 2 day shipping fees probably 3-4 months into the year. I don't want to pay for their video service. Once this last year is up, I will take my business elsewhere.

I order enough stuff in the year to cover the $79 in what would be 2 day shipping fees probably 3-4 months into the year. I don't want to pay for their video service. Once this last year is up, I will take my business elsewhere.

Are there any other websites where you can pay a yearly fee for free two day shipping that offer as many items as Amazon (I'm honestly asking, cause I'd like to know).

Despite what you want to believe, not a lot of people feel happy about the idea of either one of those games having Sequels. However Sony studios are capable of new IPs which have been demonstrated by TLOU and others. There is a huge difference. Considering we have yet to see MS studio's make a new IP outside if their core games, it's still a reasonable way to look at the situation. Can i343 deliver something that isn't Halo? Something on the lines of that.

MS mostly funded State of Decay, which is a fantastic new IP that went on to be one of the fastest selling original game on XBLA.

Top Bottom