• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Apps no longer behind paywall coming?

Uraizen

Banned
Well at the BUILD conference they did say that Microsoft is working on an Xbox 360 emulator for the Xbox One but it's proving to be difficult.

Oh God... if I could play Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden 2 on my Xbone... oh god...

Anyway, carry on!

In what way?

Do you have PS+ or know what it entails? If you sign up to PS+ right now you'd get 20 games for free. Most of which are current good games. If you sign up to XBL Gold right now you get 1 free game (which have historically been older games). Games with Gold could be great if MS steps up the selection. PS+ has given out some fantastic games. Some people argue that PS+ is inferior because you are 'renting' these games. Ultimately though it comes down to this:

'renting' ~6 relatively current well reviewed titles per month.
vs.
owning ~2 generally older good/sub par titles per month.

I'm personally hope XBL turns outo to have great value because I want an Xbone down the line sometime.

Edit: In response to some of your other posts, you said you referred specifically to the PS4. I think it is safe to assume that Sony will begin to add more titles to PS4 and subtract from PS3. As it stands the PS4 has 2 games and the PS3 has 12. It's reasonable to expect the PS4 to increase to 4 games and the PS3 to decrease to 10, as an example. Eventually the PS3 will have less games than the PS4, presumably.

Synth

I understand the appeal of this in a theoretical way, but are you all really buying an Xbox 1 and not getting Gold? I'm trying to picture the person who wants an Xbox 1 but does not want to play games online.

My mother. Currently has a PS3 as an all in one media streaming / BluRay device. She never uses it to play any games whatsoever.

If she could get a quicker, multitasking machine, with HD Skype, Plex and Xbox Music (she uses it on her phone), then the PS3 would be replaced so fast. There's no way that's happening with the additional yearly cost of Live Gold.

Tigress

I understand the appeal of this in a theoretical way, but are you all really buying an Xbox 1 and not getting Gold? I'm trying to picture the person who wants an Xbox 1 but does not want to play games online.

People like me who prefer single player games and don't play MP games? If I buy an xbox 1 it's going to be because there is a few good exclusive SP games I'm interested in. There are plenty of people who don't care for online games.

Or are you trying to say xbox is not a good place for single player games and if you want those you shouldn't be getting an xbox in the first place? I'll say it's a valid argument as it does seem that MS wants to focus more on MP games to the point they gave up a chance to get a game because it didn't have the MP experience they were looking for. Still, some SP games come to xbox despite xbox and I wouldn't rule out that it might get some exclusive SP games (I mean I got a 360 for the dance games for physical therapy and I still was able to find a few games I couldn't play with my PS that made me happy to have it for those exclusives).

Owzers

If the title were " Xbox Live Apps no longer behind paywall coming" i'd be enthused. It's just more words, meaningless words.

If they want that casual audience they were going after they will have to drop the paywall for apps. $400+ is already a hard enough sell. If I told my parents they needed to first pay $400+ and then $60 a year to watch Netflix, use Skype and a TV guide, they'd first have a look of disbelief, then laugh and say what's wrong with their TWC DVR and Roku?

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
If I were to ever get a next gen system, and Xbox drops paywall for tv guide thing/all apps, I'd strongly consider Xbone I suppose.

You can access 2 day shipping without prime, you just have to pay for it. That analogy makes no sense. I pay it mostly for the free two day shipping (since I order a tons of stuff from them). Instant Video and Kindle Lender's Library are just added bonuses

Oh of course. If you're a big Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable fan then obviously the X1 is for you. I'm not arguing that.

But objectively, Sony has the better first party studio (one look at past GOTYs, and general consensus will show that).

And you earlier mentioned Killzone being the sixth entry. When it was announced I was excited but the game underdelivered. The main issue with your argument is that though Sony does release sequels (who said they didn't?) they also release a lot of new IPs to go along with them. For the last few years, MS relied exclusively on the usual, monotonous Gears/Forza, Halo/Forza yearly cycle with Fable sprinkled around. They don't seem to be changing that either which I don't like.

2014: Halo/Forza
2015: Halo/Forza/Fable
2016: Gears/Forza

A rerelease of Halo doesn't count. If it was new then i will see what you mean, so i disagree.

Should have been like this a long time ago so I hope he makes changes, those are the kind of good things that can happen when you fall behind.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I agree it's dumb having apps behind paywall, but this is dumb too, nobody buys gold to watch netflix on their Xbox console.

No, but plenty of people bought 360s and didn't have gold. So they are locked out of apps they have paid to subscribe to, purely because they choose not to pay for gold - maybe they just play single player games?

It is an entirely artificial and ridiculous restriction that has no justification

Plex coming has me almost opening my wallet. Plex *and* no gold requirement would definitely do it. Having a PS4 as a primary console would make it difficult to justify a second paid subscription, and I don't play much multiplayer anyway. But give me the choice and I might buy gold for MS exclusives. Just don't force me to.

Lucreto

Hope Phil's bosses agree to it or he will look stupid.

He only has Jack Tretton powers not Andrew House powers.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I wonder if there's potential for discounts on services through Xbox Live Gold, e.g. Netflix is $5/mo for Gold Members. Could be an interesting model for them.

That was spooky!
That won't happen.

This would be amazing, if true. I really like Phil so far. He seems to be a cery games forward person, which is what Xbox needs. Looking forward to Microsoft's e3! I don't have an Xbox One, but a $100 price drop and some killer software would sell me!

Once they announce the Games with Gold subscription plan for Xbox One (like PS+) they aren't going to need to lock people in with apps anymore. They can just require you to subscribe to Gold in order to maintain access to your free games. The apps paywall won't be needed anymore so it's very believeable they will drop it.

jamiept

Banned
Once they announce the Games with Gold subscription plan for Xbox One (like PS+) they aren't going to need to lock people in with apps anymore. They can just require you to subscribe to Gold in order to maintain access to your free games. The apps paywall won't be needed anymore so it's very believeable they will drop it.

It make sense to offer the same deal as PS+

However... removing the rights to play MP because you don't have a subscription is one thing.

But I like that you get to keep your games using GwG. Taking a single player game away because you haven't subscribed to the MP service, is silly.

Kinyou

I agree it's dumb having apps behind paywall, but this is dumb too, nobody buys gold to watch netflix on their Xbox console.
And exactly that makes it even more nonsensical to put it behind a paywall. They'll most likely get just a flimsy tiny profit out of it while damaging their reputation

jamiept

Banned
Even though I always subscribe to Gold, I would welcome the removal of the Gold paywall

This might be a way to appeal to the XO user who prefers to play local games like sports or single player only games

If MS want to earn more revenue from Xbox users, they do have other services they can sell through the Xbox Dashboard

Synth

But that's a smaller market.

Which is the problem with trying to peg software as being a "system seller" or not. How many systems does it need to sell before this magic label can be applied? Does Super Mario Allstars qualify? Did Wind Waker HD qualify? Would a theoretical Halo 2 remake qualify?

To me, a new entry in the Wipeout series is a system seller, yet to gaming in general it wasn't even enough to justify new entries being released. One look at any Shenmue thread would peg the game as a system seller to some people, but others will argue to that even entertaining the thought of creating a Shenmue 3 is suicidal. As a result "system seller" is pretty pointless term overall outside of a few very unique scenarios (Wii Fit), where the average buyer legitimately has no interest in even a single other piece of software for the machine. By that criteria, I don't think any of the 3 has a system seller today, Nintendo hasn't had one since Wii Fit, Microsoft hasn't had one since the original Halo: CE, and Sony may never have had one.

ALL multimedia features NOT requiring XBLG + $399 w/Kinect = Xbox One in my living room.

I would do it this week if that is the case. Heck I would probably delay purchasing the PS4 for least several years because of it!

Edit:
Microsoft has consumers quite literally paying for nothing. There is no way they are going to end a business model like that. As slimy as it is, it's also quite genius.

I'm guessing they are seeing blowback of this front and center at the moment as people are comparing the different systems.

Microsoft has consumers quite literally paying for nothing. There is no way they are going to end a business model like that. As slimy as it is, it's also quite genius.

Oh of course. If you're a big Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable fan then obviously the X1 is for you. I'm not arguing that.

But objectively, Sony has the better first party studio (one look at past GOTYs, and general consensus will show that).

And you earlier mentioned Killzone being the sixth entry. When it was announced I was excited but the game underdelivered. The main issue with your argument is that though Sony does release sequels (who said they didn't?) they also release a lot of new IPs to go along with them. For the last few years, MS relied exclusively on the usual, monotonous Gears/Forza, Halo/Forza yearly cycle with Fable sprinkled around. They don't seem to be changing that either which I don't like.

2014: Halo/Forza
2015: Halo/Forza/Fable
2016: Gears/Forza

Only if you ignore every other exclusive game that is coming out on the platform.

2014: You're forgetting games like Sunset Overdrive (New IP), potentially Quantum Break (New IP), D4 (New IP), Project Spark, Killer Instinct Season 2, anything they announce at E3, Summer of Games stuff, and I'm leaving out Titanfall and Below.

There seems to be more variety to Microsoft Game Studio's line-up than you're letting on.

RedAssedApe

Banned
remove paywall, drop msrp to 49.99 to match ps+ and the services are pretty much equal. games with gold needs newer games though. although they might need to drop the "keep the game forever" for that to work or pay the developer more?

jim2011

Arstechnica is reporting hearing from multiple sources within Microsoft that they are dropping the paywall for apps. I thought about making a new thread for this but figured since it's still not official, I'd list it here. I definitely trust them though more than almost every gaming site.

We can report that multiple sources within Microsoft have been briefed on plans to make a long-awaited change to the Xbox Live Gold paywall for streaming media services. According to our sources, Xbox 360 and Xbox One users will soon no longer need a paid subscription to Xbox Live Gold to access Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming media apps.
Arstechnica - Sources: Xbox Live to remove Gold requirement for Netflix, Hulu

Bugz

Neo Member
I would love to see MP taken out from behind the paywall but I seriously doubt it will happen.

That's the game changer Microsoft needs. But with Xbox Live sharable now i don't think its needed. I am silver and my brother is gold, i play mp easily.

I have PSN, wish i could share that.

Top Bottom