• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Grimløck;107196830 said:
who is this hooker with the runny mascara?

Someone make a webm version of

tonystarejeml.gif

so I can use it.

How do you say webm?

web-m? wif?

Oppo

Not loading on iOS, someone care to explain what this is?

Here's the deal.

H.264 and WebM are both very similar formats. WebM is not patent encumbered. Google has adopted it as their preferred video format. On the other hand, H .264 is extremely widely adopted, and is usually built into mobile hardware decoding chips. They are kissing cousins on a technical side, but different politically.

iPhones have hardware that decode H .264 files but not WebM files. Most devices can't decode WebM files right now unless they use a huge chunk of CPU. So it's going to be at a bit of a disadvantage for mobile. Some android devices may contain dedicated WebM decoding hardware, I'm not too sure.

This is the first time I've heard of this. It looks and loads a lot smoother than GIFs.

Not to mention that sound can be added as well as having a higher resolution while still staying under the filesize of a GIF of the same scene.

Dambrosi

Banned
Holy...Holy SHIT.

These seem to load a lot better than most gifs.
They really do. They seem to take up less RAM on my PC, too, believe it or not.

Yeah, gifs are ded. 4chan is about to become unvisitable
as if it wasn't already loel amirite guaiz
. NeoGAF too, if Andrex gets his embed code up and running.

Soooo, how do I go about saving this locally XD
In Firefox, right-click on the video and "Save Video as..." from the menu.

akaoni

Banned
This seems like a big step towards getting rid of shitty framerate marketing materials and moving towards 60fps as an expectation for games.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
How resource heavy is it? It seems to be running like silk on Chrome. I can only assume this is some sort of magic or witch craft. Either way it's incredible.

Top Bottom