• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie: Each planet & moon in Destiny will be the size of Reach (5 known planet/moon)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Strolling over to the Destiny wiki, the planets/moons listed as confirmed explorable locations are: http://destiny.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Planets_and_Moons

-Earth
-The Moon
-Mars
-Venus
-Europa

There could be more, but if they're already building five times the landmass of Reach, perhaps not.

Portuguese site UOL Jogos has published an interview with Engineering Lead at Bungie, Christian Diefenbach, in which he states that each planet location in Destiny “…is more or less the same size as the entire game Halo: Reach.”
Source: http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/...ny-are-same-size-as-halo-reach/#ixzz2ys2P4hA5

Update:

broony said:
Dan Miller and Urk put some dampeners on this over at destiny.bungie.org

Dan Miller said:
I would temper your expectations on this quote as it is nebulous in its definition. It's hard to compare our spaces to Reach because our game is an ever-expanding world where one day the world you are discovering may be one size but the next you realize that there are more areas that open up. Our worlds are far more fungable than what you see at first sight. what may be one size day one may be different day 100. Reach was very large in its perception due to levels like New Alexandria which mainly consisted of empty fly-able space, it's hard to compare the two. In short, comparing the two is tricky due to their unique attributes. My advice is to not worry about the size in any game, as size can be deceiving compared to how much enjoyment you get out of a space.

Dan Miller said:
How big is Destiny? I don't know. I'm unsure if I've seen it all yet, let alone am able to compare. There are many places you won't be able to go to or see until further progression through activities. Also- this is the Internet, words spoken here tend to become promises and get blown out of proportion.

urk said:
Miller jumped in below, but I know where this comes from and suppose it's worth clarifying. At some point one of the artists made the rough size comparison for a team meeting to show off just how much stuff we were making at our quality bar. It's exciting, but not really something I'd want to throw out their for public consumption (whoops!) because it's hard to grok. It's fuzzy math.

The spaces are big, and they're designed not just to give you room to roam, but to give you lots of interesting stuff to do. We have a lot of work to do to show them off in the right way this year. That said, I didn't really sink in for me until I just ran around and soaked it all in with my own virtual feets and eyeballs.

This is cool, but I expected Destiny to be a more open world style shooter than Halo anyway. Honestly Halo has never been that huge. The scope feels big sometimes but your path is pretty limited and linear.

broony

Dan Miller said:
I would temper your expectations on this quote as it is nebulous in its definition. It's hard to compare our spaces to Reach because our game is an ever-expanding world where one day the world you are discovering may be one size but the next you realize that there are more areas that open up. Our worlds are far more fungable than what you see at first sight. what may be one size day one may be different day 100. Reach was very large in its perception due to levels like New Alexandria which mainly consisted of empty fly-able space, it's hard to compare the two. In short, comparing the two is tricky due to their unique attributes. My advice is to not worry about the size in any game, as size can be deceiving compared to how much enjoyment you get out of a space.

Dan Miller said:
How big is Destiny? I don't know. I'm unsure if I've seen it all yet, let alone am able to compare. There are many places you won't be able to go to or see until further progression through activities. Also- this is the Internet, words spoken here tend to become promises and get blown out of proportion.

urk said:
Miller jumped in below, but I know where this comes from and suppose it's worth clarifying. At some point one of the artists made the rough size comparison for a team meeting to show off just how much stuff we were making at our quality bar. It's exciting, but not really something I'd want to throw out their for public consumption (whoops!) because it's hard to grok. It's fuzzy math.

The spaces are big, and they're designed not just to give you room to roam, but to give you lots of interesting stuff to do. We have a lot of work to do to show them off in the right way this year. That said, I didn't really sink in for me until I just ran around and soaked it all in with my own virtual feets and eyeballs.

Dub117

Reach had some room to explore if you didn't just go straight through the levels. 5 times bigger for each planet sounds extremely promising.

I wouldn't say dampeners, more like adjusting expectations. Their aims and the talk about the level size changing from one day to the next is very exciting.

I vaguely remember them saying something similar last E3 during the demo where you could see far off into the distance in Old Russia (I think). Something about them hoping we'd be able to one day go there.

TheOddOne

Never played Reach, can anyone say roughly how big that game is?
There are some fairly large levels/sections in it.
Halo-Reach-Postcards-ONI-Sword-Base-1.jpg

Halo-Reach-Postcards-ONI-Sword-Base-3.jpg

Halo-Reach-Postcards-ONI-Sword-Base-6.jpg

Halo-Reach-Postcards-6-Exodus-7-CARACALLA-PARK.jpg

Halo-Reach-Postcards-Nightfall-082-Hydro-Plant.jpg

Halo-Reach-Exodus-21-CARACALLA-PARK.jpg

Halo-Reach-New-Alexandria-01.jpg

Halo-Reach-Postcards-8-The-Package-9-forerunners-cavern-dr.-halsey-lab.jpg

Halo-Reach-Postcards-Winter-Contingency-052-Visegrad-Overview.jpg
Credit to Electricblueskies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
With so many spaces of that size, how is this game going to even work on PS3/360? RAM surely has to be a limiting factor with them and 360 is also limited by DVD size. From what I hear of the game, it doesn't seem like the various planets and moons will be different enough to not allow for a massive amount of repeated assets.

ViciousDS

Banned
With so many spaces of that size, how is this game going to even work on PS3/360? RAM surely has to be a limiting factor with them and 360 is also limited by DVD size. From what I hear of the game, it doesn't seem like the various planets and moons will be different enough to not allow for a massive amount of repeated assets.

360 = 1 disc per planet/ moon or 8GB in size. Next-Gen being a 50GB install with PS3 being a 25GB disc installing some data to the HDD............unless they really use repeated assets all over the place.

This of course being probably totally factually incorrect XD

broony

I wouldn't say dampeners, more like adjusting expectations. Their aims and the talk about the level size changing from one day to the next is very exciting.

I vaguely remember them saying something similar last E3 during the demo where you could see far off into the distance. Something about them hoping we'd be able to one day go there.

yeah dampeners would be the wrong word. Setting expectation is better. I still think its is going to be significantly bigger in playspace and content than anything we have seen from Bungie before.

A few Bungie employees commented on this over at the Destiny.Bungie.Org forum:

Edit: Beaten by, broony. :p

Sorry. I'll be more gentle. Enjoyed your appearance on Guardian Radio the other week.

urk said:
Originally Posted by urk

Oculus Rift/Project Morpheus + Omni support for Destiny CONFIRMED.

Somebody make a new thread.

(Kidding, don't do that.)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, in terms of RAM, they don't need to load them all at once, so only each individual area (and I mean that on the scale of levels within planets, not the entire planet) needs to work within their streaming limits.

You could in theory have an infinite game as long as each area worked and you had enough storage space.

As for disc size, this will assuredly be a multi-disk game.

StUnNeR H2K

Kinda wish Bungie would have gone outside our galaxy for this game to allow more artistic freedom for themselves.

Nothing is stopping them from doing that in the future. If I understand they plan to keep supporting the game with content, etc. for years to come. It's nice to start with something familiar.

QaaQer

Well, in terms of RAM, they don't need to load them all at once, so only each individual area (and I mean that on the scale of levels within planets, not the entire planet) needs to work within their streaming limits.

You could in theory have an infinite game as long as each area worked and you had enough storage space.

As for disc size, this will assuredly be a multi-disk game.

I'm so looking forward to the first open world game not constrained by ps3's 256/256mb memory. I really wish destiny was it.

Most wanted game for me this year Destiny so the bigger the scale the better, Role on the beta!! Anyone know when the beta is supposed too hit?

if Destiny's actual Europa turns out to look anything like the concept art released by Bungie I'll be spending a lot of time there. beautiful art design.
europa_desktop-630x393.jpg

DrZeus

Hype is definitely rising for this game. I hate that it is coming for last gen as well as current. Seems like too big a game and wasted resources, but can't ignore that install base. Hopefully the current gen and PC versions get full attention.

Flipyap

I had a dream about visiting Europa and now I can in a game! Great! Europa is my favorite satellite.
Europa has always been my favorite, but it's only an interesting vacation spot if you're a proud owner of a space submarine. A faithful recreation of its surface wouldn't be a very good setting for shooting space dudes in the face, and a hyper-stylized interpretation of the place would probably just turn it into another Hoth. Which, while more fun to play on, doesn't sound nearly as interesting.

This quote makes little to no sens. Destiny is a hub based mmo. Reach is a linear shooter (yes, more open that your average Cod/BF but still linear)

So of course it's bigger than reach. Now I want some comparaison with Borderlands 2 for example because it's how the game looks like it's trying to aim for but with more open zones

model13

Hype is definitely rising for this game. I hate that it is coming for last gen as well as current. Seems like too big a game and wasted resources, but can't ignore that install base. Hopefully the current gen and PC versions get full attention.
They have not announced a PC version.

Top Bottom