• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 | LiveStream | 4PM PST

J-Rzez

I'd like to get excited for this, has some cool things going on, but I'm vomit in my mouth levels sick of zombies. And even worse, after the utter disaster that Planetside 2 was, I'm skeptical of anything with SOE's name on it.

KaiserBecks

Lol. Well, when DayZ gets zombies that don't walk through walls, maybe they can start focusing on all the other features H1Z1 already has.

Maybe not? This is going to get salty once people realize that H1Z1 won't be the first game to release as a finished product under the Early Access label. Do you think that game doesn't have any bugs and glitches right now? Oh right, doesn't matter because it has cars. For some reason people tend to compare both games and act as if H1Z1 can build on everything DayZ already has. What have we actually seen of H1Z1 so far? And what do we actually know, that hasn't been just vaguely mentioned by the developers? Oh right, back to those cars. I'm cautiously optimistic because I really like the genre, but that's it.

Bruno

So much hate on DayZ but I haven't been very impressed yet. Sure the engine is better and therefor there is way more potential but they have yet to show any depth. I'll get early access day one and see how it is.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
So much hate on DayZ but I haven't been very impressed yet. Sure the engine is better and therefor there is way more potential but they have yet to show any depth. I'll get early access day one and see how it is.

Yep, I won't judge it too harshly until I play it for myself. $20 is low enough for me to jump in.

H1Z1 is planned as a MMO thats why is already winning over DayZ for me. Building towns and other stuff makes alot more sense in a persistence World with thousands of players. And they are devs with a hugh amount of experience in the MMO genre :)

Plus, they have experience delivering finished games! That alone is worth to look forward to something good out of this game.

Spoo

Maybe not? This is going to get salty once people realize that H1Z1 won't be the first game to release as a finished product under the Early Access label. Do you think that game doesn't have any bugs and glitches right now? Oh right, doesn't matter because it has cars. For some reason people tend to compare both games and act as if H1Z1 can build on everything DayZ already has. What have we actually seen of H1Z1 so far? And what do we actually know, that hasn't been just vaguely mentioned by the developers? Oh right, back to those cars. I'm cautiously optimistic because I really like the genre, but that's it.

Well, for one, we know it has zombies that know how graph theory works. That may not be a big deal to some, but when the namesake of your game stands in the balance, it's kind of a 'thing.'

We know it has a graphics engine that doesn't suck. It's not super great, but if you take the time to use Planetside 2 as a benchmark, you'll find that your PC, if it's remotely decent, can play it at a very acceptable framerate. This is something my 4770K, and 780 GTX seem unable to do with DayZ when I decide to look at something that isn't water.

We know it has bugs and glitches, because you can see them on display. They aren't game killing, what little we've seen. So your guess is as good as mine, but if they're planning on opening their doors in 4 weeks, it's fair to say that they're confident, at least.

We know it will be cheaper than DayZ. Read: Free, but even in early access it will be 10 bucks less. And yet, it somehow has cars. With physics.

Yes, we know it has physics. What a thing!

We know they are a company with a track record for delivering products. DayZ has made mountains of money and yet they're on the verge of losing their creative director and are nowhere near close to delivering on promises. We know this, because we've played it, and we've seen their pace on delivering things that reeks of snail.

So, yeah, we know some things.

Panda Rin

looks pretty decent so far. It will be interesting to see how the MMO elements factor in though. game looks pretty sparse in comparison to DayZ.

KissVibes

Banned
As much as I hate when big companies like SOE step all over indies, I want a good survival, massively multiplayer game and they're already ahead of everyone else. Great job, SOE. #CrushingIt

What's in 4 weeks? Are you dying soon?

No but H1Z1 is hitting early access in four weeks and looks substantially father along than DayZ.

So, why should anyone remain excited for DayZ after seeing this?

As Rocket said, DayZ is a flawed concept. Now, SOE has stepped up and are taking the concept and doing something with it at a rapid pace, saying and showing everything people want to see and hear.

KKRT00

Plus, they have experience delivering finished games! That alone is worth to look forward to something good out of this game.

When though? Planetside 2 is being developed quite slowly, like where is PVE and player controlled lands?

DayZ development is painfully slow, but SOE development isnt fast either.

---
No but H1Z1 is hitting early access in four weeks and looks substantially father along than DayZ.

Freaking mod for Arma 2 is farther than DayZ S.
DayZ has two big advantages over H1Z1 the ballistic+visibility engine and movement+camera management. The fights and visibility setups in Arma are best in industry and ability have full control over arms and head, body position changes game significantly, which very important in survival FPP game.

UnrealEck

That looks pretty bad. The environments look like they've been computer generated and barely touched up. And I mean badly computer generated from some really primitive algorithm.

Fighting over which is better, DayZ, Infestation: SS, Rust, or H1Z1? There's really no need for us to fight, so long as no one is voting for Infestation: SS.

Having played none of them, I find myself siding with DayZ, the original.

#TeamRocket 4ever

KaiserBecks

Well, for one, we know it has zombies that know how graph theory works. That may not be a big deal to some, but when the namesake of your game stands in the balance, it's kind of a 'thing.'

That's a glitch, certainly not game killing.

We know it has a graphics engine that doesn't suck. It's not super great, but if you take the time to use Planetside 2 as a benchmark, you'll find that your PC, if it's remotely decent, can play it at a very acceptable framerate. This is something my 4770K, and 780 GTX seem unable to do with DayZ when I decide to look at something that isn't water.

At what point did you use Planetside 2 as a benchmark? Certainly not at release.

We know it has bugs and glitches, because you can see them on display. They aren't game killing, what little we've seen. So your guess is as good as mine, but if they're planning on opening their doors in 4 weeks, it's fair to say that they're confident, at least.

Right. How are they any more confident than Bohemia? Public beta would "confident". It's Steam Early Access. Why would assume it's anything more?

We know it will be cheaper than DayZ. Read: Free, but even in early access it will be 10 bucks less. And yet, it somehow has cars. With physics.

Yes, we know it has physics. What a thing!

Sounds like you've played it. But you can't beat free, that's for sure.

We know they are a company with a track record for delivering products.

What kind of track record is that supposed to be? They are still "delivering" Planetside 2, and I'm not talking about the PS4 version they've mentioned a year ago and that we still haven't seen anything of.

DayZ has made mountains of money and yet they're on the verge of losing their creative director and are nowhere near close to delivering on promises. We know this, because we've played it, and we've seen their pace on delivering things that reeks of snail.So, yeah, we know some things.

How much money have they made? In order to know that, we should know how much they've spent. jumptoconclusions.jpg They game was released not half a year ago, what did you expect them to deliver so far?

-MD-

How much money have they made? In order to know that, we should know how much they've spent. jumptoconclusions.jpg They game was released not half a year ago, what did you expect them to deliver so far?

Don't you know dude? Bohemia has millions of dollars, the game has been out for a whopping 4 months! It definitely should have gone gold by now.

Rocket is so lazy.

Grief.exe

We know they are a company with a track record for delivering products. DayZ has made mountains of money and yet they're on the verge of losing their creative director and are nowhere near close to delivering on promises.

On the verge? He is committed to the project for 8 more months minimum.

I can tell you from experience, and admitted from Dean himself, its really better he leaves at a certain point. Some of his ideas for the direction of the game are a bit out there to say the least.

DayZ development is painfully slow, but SOE development isnt fast either.

Software development in general is like that. The only thing worse is when we have to watch it real-time (IE Early Access), like watching grass grow.

Don't you know dude? Bohemia has millions of dollars, the game has been out for a whopping 4 months! It definitely should have gone gold by now.

Rocket is so lazy.

They actually do at this point. DayZ standalone has sold over 1.8 million copies at $30 each.

Drazgul

As much as I hate when big companies like SOE step all over indies, I want a good survival, massively multiplayer game and they're already ahead of everyone else. Great job, SOE. #CrushingIt

It's a bit bullshit tho how they're calling the EA cost supporting the game, inferring as if they're in the same position as some indie dev just trying to survive. They don't need that money, but I guess it serves as a useful floodgate so they can have limited numbers while they tune the game for the unwashed masses and get everything prepped for the launch.

Spoo

That's a glitch, certainly not game killing.

Not game killing? I'd sincerely disagree and beg you to reconsider your stance. Having zombies run through walls, clip through the floor and kill you while standing well outside your range to kill them is by definition game breaking. I literally can't stand to play DayZ since the problem is inescapable unless you ignore zombies completely, and at that point, what are you really playing?

At what point did you use Planetside 2 as a benchmark? Certainly not at release.

Recently, since I built my new machine. Before that I had a 560 Ti which played the game pretty well. I never played it on release -- still, seems a moot point since they've stated that "if you can run Planetside 2, you can run H1Z1 better" -- again, I'm comparing the performance of H1Z1 with DayZ, not Planetside 2 on release day with DayZ as it is now.

Right. How are they any more confident than Bohemia? Public beta would "confident". It's Steam Early Access. Why would assume it's anything more?

Their confidence is well on display in this and the last stream; they sound certain that they have much better technology and game plan than Bohemia. Maybe Bohemia is more confident than they are -- who knows, but it would be misplaced confidence since DayZ is in such bad shape as of now.

Sounds like you've played it. But you can't beat free, that's for sure.

I haven't played it, of course, but plan to. As far as physics, you really just need eyes to see it on display during the streams; there was a lot of neat physics going on in the demo -- hardly earth shattering stuff, but a car that tips over is cooler than say not having a car.

What kind of track record is that supposed to be? They are still "delivering" Planetside 2, and I'm not talking about the PS4 version they've mentioned a year ago and that we still haven't seen anything of.

Contrasted with Behomia's broken demo of a game -- and before that, a mod that, I don't know, is the mod abandoned at this point? Did they decide not to work on it because of standalone? SOE of course does have a track record for completing games, whether or not they're good ones. Of course, with MMOs, you can argue they're never really complete. Should the same be said of a mod-come-standalone product that isn't an MMO?

Someone already pointed out that they've been quite successful already. I don't know the exact financial situation there, but do you suppose they've earned enough money to fix the "zombies walk through everything" glitch yet?

therapist

Looks great for being in dev for 5 months , way ahead of dayz SA.

But i love being able to move your head etc while running in dayz , i sincerely hope they add that but i doubt it.

Still, ill be in for the early access - looks very promising.

That looks pretty bad. The environments look like they've been computer generated and barely touched up. And I mean badly computer generated from some really primitive algorithm.

I was hoping for much more and really have to agree.

As much as the world is supposed to be barren, the game just looked dead. Fake even.

Maybe DayZ has spoiled me with it's fairly realistic look but this looked very unimpressive.

A bit worrying that the guy playing was purposely avoiding combat, like he knew it looked bad or something.

I may have missed it, but did they say the zombie AI was not turned on or something? Pretty disappointing that they were all standing there like statues and not aggro'd at all.

I don't know, it's early and it's trying to be it's own thing but it looks pretty tame to me.

Looks great for being in dev for 5 months , way ahead of dayz SA.

But i love being able to move your head etc while running in dayz , i sincerely hope they add that but i doubt it.

Still, ill be in for the early access - looks very promising.

Yeah I think they pretty much confirmed thats going to be there. Not 100% but there was a post on Reddit about it and the Devs pretty much confirmed it.

Correct me if I'm wrong though?

Deadbeat

Banned
I'd like to get excited for this, has some cool things going on, but I'm vomit in my mouth levels sick of zombies. And even worse, after the utter disaster that Planetside 2 was, I'm skeptical of anything with SOE's name on it.
Woah woah woah lets settle down for a second here. The game has been getting fixed up a lot and its making good headway. If it ever gets to PS1 with better graphics that would be swell but its still a good game.

As much as the world is supposed to be barren, the game just looked dead. Fake even.

Maybe DayZ has spoiled me with it's fairly realistic look but this looked very unimpressive.

A bit worrying that the guy playing was purposely avoiding combat, like he knew it looked bad or something.

I may have missed it, but did they say the zombie AI was not turned on or something? Pretty disappointing that they were all standing there like statues and not aggro'd at all.

I don't know, it's early and it's trying to be it's own thing but it looks pretty tame to me.

Uh....you clearly didn't see when they moved over to their up to date build of the game on their main server. Zombies went fucking ape shit and Jimmy died to them multiple times.

Ultimatum

Banned
bohemia have tons of money, but they were a group who worked on a mod, expanding to the scale they are at now is not easy, so I can see why the state of the company is so fucked up, and it is a shame, but dayz has huge problems as a result of it.

h1z1 looks okay, but the best thing about it is that the devs are competent. I'm not expecting them to be blazing fast with updates, but the quality and polish of the game will far outshine dayz, I think that's pretty much guaranteed.

I do love dayz, but I've been very disappointed with its progress, so I'm looking forward to h1z1.

Overdoziz

Banned
Contrasted with Behomia's broken demo of a game -- and before that, a mod that, I don't know, is the mod abandoned at this point? Did they decide not to work on it because of standalone? SOE of course does have a track record for completing games, whether or not they're good ones. Of course, with MMOs, you can argue they're never really complete. Should the same be said of a mod-come-standalone product that isn't an MMO?
Bohemia has developed and released well over a dozen games.

I feel like the biggest issue is the transistion from making relatively niche games with a limited budget to creating an incredibly popular game with a larger budget. Combine that with the fact that the Arma engine is not built to do a lot of stuff that DayZ is trying to do and the result is seemingly slow development of the game. They have to create a lot of stuff from scratch or completely redo certain parts of the engine to make it work well and future-proof. Nothing they can really do about that, even with the bigger budget.

SRTtoZ

Yeah sorry about that.

No need to be sorry, I was just helping you out.

On topic though, I thought it looked great for an alpha build. I have not bought into any of these survival games yet but its easily one of my favorite genres when done right. I like Minecraft survival but could never get over the blocky visuals...I want REALISM.

The reason why this appeals to me is because 1) its supported by a pretty big company and 2) it looks like real survival, persistent world, expanding, huge, CRAFTING!, being able to build towns and settle together. I want zombies to be very difficult meaning when you see one you might think about going the other way instead of just 'lol shoot it'. I'll be in early access for sho!

Looks like you watched it for 10 minutes and closed the stream. Their live server crashed so there wasnt anything going on in the world, once they get it back up (about 30 minutes in) you can see how brutal the zombies are and the world comes to life. They show day/night cycles which are pretty stunning, especially seeing how dark it gets. They show crafting a shed (which they admitted was a cheat, normally you will build it piece by piece).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Sounds like they're looking into offering private servers.

Read bottom to top:
vwFrQSz.png

bohemia have tons of money, but they were a group who worked on a mod, expanding to the scale they are at now is not easy, so I can see why the state of the company is so fucked up, and it is a shame, but dayz has huge problems as a result of it.

h1z1 looks okay, but the best thing about it is that the devs are competent. I'm not expecting them to be blazing fast with updates, but the quality and polish of the game will far outshine dayz, I think that's pretty much guaranteed.

I do love dayz, but I've been very disappointed with its progress, so I'm looking forward to h1z1.

slightly less janky day z is fine with me

Iadien

Smedley: https://twitter.com/j_smedley/statuses/456980474615717888
Today I'd like to announce H1Z1 will be the first game to implement our new Player Servers. In addition to the traditional servers that we setup and run (what you've come to expect in MMOs) we will allow the players to come together in any way they wish and if they can get enough people together to vote for the server we will make it for them. At first this will be for specific pre-defined rulesets. Later we will expand past rulesets into adding more features. For example perhaps one community prefers to go more militaristic. So they add more military vehicles. So we're truly letting you, our Players get exactly the kind of thing you're looking for. Mechanically this will allow players to buy "pledge tokens" in Station Cash to vote on a proposal. However, should the vote succeed we refund the station cash.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Also from his twitter:

Later we will expand past rulesets into adding more features. For example perhaps one community prefers to go more militaristic. So they add more military vehicles. So we're truly letting you, our Players get exactly the kind of thing you're looking for.

HowZatOZ

Banned
The only thing I'm worried about right now is that this whole "MMO" server archetype may push away those not in NA or EU. I live in Australia and can happily play DayZ or Rust because there are player-rented servers from local GSPs (heck I run one myself), however with H1Z1 there is no mention of that due to it being an MMO first and I presume they want everything locked down and under their control.

This is my main concern, and hopefully I can get an answer out of SOE on the situation because I know a number of Oceanic players may be interested in the game but hesitant of playing.

Iadien

More on the player servers: http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/23by4l/player_servers/

Hello fellow Infected,
I'd like to announce a new feature for H1Z1. Player Servers. Similar to other games from SOE, H1Z1 is an MMO. We will launch with different rulesets and variants to cater to different playstyles.
We're excited about taking our dedication to letting you get a say in our games to a whole new level with Player Servers.
The idea is simple - If a community of our players wants to host a server with a specific theme or ruleset then we're going to do our best to give it to them. players will recieve a pledge token for free if they've played more than 5 hours. This pledge token can be used to cast a vote for a server. But use it wisely. You only get one free one per year. Make sure it's a community you believe in and that has a good chance to succeed because we're going to set the bar such that the community can sustain an MMO server (more details will be announced later). If you find yourself dying to vote on another server initiative we'll also sell pledge tokens but you can only use 2 pledge tokens a year max. So again, it's up to you but we want to make sure if we build it you're coming. We're also going to refund the station cash you used to buy it to your account if the Player Server Initiative succeeds. The Pledge token also comes with a wearable that's going to look sweet.
Why refund it if it succeeds? Simple - we really want to give you the kind of servers you want. We're going to set that bar high. If it succeeds, you've built a community of fellow players you want and as our customers we want to give you that. But we also need some indication of reality in order to make this work.
At SOE we've been doing a whole lot of asking our players what you think of our ideas. This is no exception. If you have better ones, we are all ears.
Hope you dig this.
Smed

Setsuna

Uh....you clearly didn't see when they moved over to their up to date build of the game on their main server. Zombies went fucking ape shit and Jimmy died to them multiple times.

Yeah the zombies went ham! They need to either calm that down, or make it so the weapon has a slower attack speed that disrupts the zombie so if you attack more than one zombie at a time you will get hit but on one one wouldnt be so hard to handle for an experienced survivalist

Top Bottom