• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo (don't) change NNID policy (?)

gngf123

Spotted on twitter: https://twitter.com/Damianmer/status/466597142195609600

To use Nintendo Network you must register a Nintendo Network ID. You must provide accurate and complete data during the registration and update your registration data if they change.

The Nintendo Network ID is linked to your country of residence that you indicated during the registration. If you move to another country, you may not be able to use your Nintendo Network ID (including Digital Products) and you may have to create another Nintendo Network ID if you want to enjoy Nintendo Network in this new country. If you move back to the country, in which your Nintendo Network ID was registered, you will be able to use your original Nintendo Network ID again.

From: http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/terms/wiiu/index.html

If my understanding is correct, that means people travelling between European countries will not be able to access the eShop and other things that require NNID's unless they register a new NNID for every country they visit.

The policy seems to begin June 13th. - EDIT: Note: Policy doesn't seem to start June 13th.

Sorry if old.

Update: Possible mistake.

I think this has always been a part of their User Agreement, Australia still has the 2013 version for example, and it also includes this same text.

http://microsite.nintendo-europe.com/terms/wiiu/WiiU_NetworkEULA_AU.html

Why are they actively making NNIDs even more restrictive? It was bad enough when it was tied to the console you registered it on, unable to be moved without sending the whole damn unit into Nintendo itself.

Vuze

And I thought they couldn't mess up their account system even more lol. Well.
Their Region Locking shit is so annoying, now basically introducing multi-layer region locking is just super awful.

Burnburn

The way I read this, I think it's a warning if you're moving from, say, NTSC to PAL.

I hope I'm true anyway

Edit: Could also be the reason why they use the word "may". But that could also mean that if you move from a country that is not on Nintendo's list to another on not on Nintendo's list, say, Kenia to Tanzania or something

soultron

Banned
What's the utility of this? To track what regions are selling something? To restrict localizations from being sold in countries other than that of the languages supported?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As someone who is going through an international move right now:
Cool, Nintendo. I just won't buy any product affected by this. Your loss, not mine. Same goes for Sony, who have an ass-backwards international move policy with PSN.

... unless this is going to retroactively prevent me from using products I already own, in which case holy shit that's terrible.

Buzzman

Banned
Good job, I'm sure you were losing tons of money by allowing greedy moochers to play games when they weren't even in the country of purchase!

This is bad. Start making some noise, people. We got a response with the whole Tomodachi thing, so...

The noise that needs to be made is that the entire account system sucks. It's pure trash. You need to have your game purchases tied to an account, not the console. I was hoping for a total revision to be announced at E3 but I've started to give it up.

Wow. After all the pro-consumer steps MS made yesterday, this move by Nintendo is just fucking stupid. Why the hell would be make your already half-baked account system even more restrictive? This is incompetent.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
nint.gif

You're going the wrong way

Sakura

I'm somewhat confused. Does this really matter if the systems are already region locked? Say I move to from Canada to Japan. My American 3DS is going to be the American eShop regardless of where I am isn't it?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I thought we knew this already? It sucks but when they introduced the NNID they were clear that you were locked into whatever country settings you chose.

G-Unit

Idiots! I had to create an Id in Canada to be able to buy games on eshop. Now im screwed. At least lauch a damn eshop in Latín America you fucktard Nintendo. :(

Madao

fuck, i guess money that is not from countries recognized by them is not real money then.

as much as i don't like it, i think i'll go back to fully physical games. these dumbasses are actively trying to kill themselves.

As someone who is going through an international move right now:
Cool, Nintendo. I just won't buy any product affected by this. Your loss, not mine. Same goes for Sony, who have an ass-backwards international move policy with PSN.

... unless this is going to retroactively prevent me from using products I already own, in which case holy shit that's terrible.

i imagine that'd produce a shitstorm big enough to force them to reverse that change if it happens like that.

Griss

You are fucking kidding me here. Panicking because I bought my Wii U in Canada, registered in the US, live in Ireland and will be spending summer working in the Caribbean.

Is this going to fuck me up? Please tell me this isn't going to fuck me up.

gngf123

This is bad. Start making some noise, people. We got a response with the whole Tomodachi thing, so...

I think it would make sense to try to get something going. Perhaps we could bring up the #EndRegionLock thing again now things are progressively getting even worse.

The way I read this, I think it's a warning if you're moving from, say, NTSC to PAL.

I hope I'm true anyway

If so, that is an awful wording choice to use country instead of region. Country implies the possibility of locking between different PAL or NTSC countries.

You are fucking kidding me here. Panicking because I bought my Wii U in Canada, registered in the US, live in Ireland and will be spending summer working in the Caribbean.

Is this going to fuck me up? Please tell me this isn't going to fuck me up.

Holy shit that Wii U's seen a lot of places for being region locked.

Good luck, I guess it isn't an option to buy NTSC titles physically is it?

Keyouta

From what I understand, digitally bought products in Country A will no longer work in Country B since they're tied to my NNID. Is this correct?

Because if it is, then this is likely one of the stupidest policies I've ever heard of.

Edit: What happens if I bought a JP Wii U, registered my NNID under Canada, then moved to Japan? Any digital game I buy/the NNID won't work anymore?

mantidor

This is awful.

What about countries with no eShop? Nintendo, stop being such a control freak, please. You are losing more money trying to maintain this ridiculous restrictive thing than what you would lose if you just made universal accounts.

Top Bottom