• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo (don't) change NNID policy (?)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think this is implying they are going to go with geo-locking through IP. So far you couldn't change your location but you could still use your nnid anywhere.

That's not what it says at all. It says that if you move to another country you will not be able to change your NNID to match your location.

What they are trying to say is that you will not be able to use the native eShop in your new country without a new account/device. You are already locked in to US/EU/JP region settings when you buy the console.

Ugh.
Fuck you Stupidendo.

I live in two countries more or less, and will for the foreseeable future, so I guess I'll just have to sell my Wii U and 3DS and jump on a platform which actually makes sense.

Santiako

I travel between the UK and Spain a lot, if they lock me out my own paid games while on Spain I'm probably going to sell the console and never get a Nintendo system again.

Sakura

I'm going to need clarification on this. If they are saying you can't use a Brazillian NNID to access the American eShop if you move to the states (or something similar), then ok I get that. But I refuse to believe that they are saying something like that if you have a Japanese 3DS, you will be unable to access any of your digital content outside of Japan.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It doesn't even make any fucking sense, the internet is the same everywhere. Just restrict content based on your account "origin". Registered in US? You can only see US things on the shop if you visit Spain. This is so fucking simple it's painful.

So if I go abroad I'm not able to use any of my Virtual Console games or eShop titles. Is there any shred of logic in this policy?

Vuze

nint.gif

You're going the wrong way

i almost forgot about this. 10/10 gif

Haunted

Absolutely awful.

If you move to another country, you may not be able to use your Nintendo Network ID (including Digital Products) and you may have to create another Nintendo Network ID if you want to enjoy Nintendo Network in this new country.

you may not be able to use your Nintendo Network ID (including Digital Products)
What in the fucking fuck, Nintendo.

K' Dash

Come the FUCK ON!

Why NINTENDO, WHY?!

Instead of working on a unified account system you are working on this shit? FUCK OFF.

Sometimes Nintendo is so out of synch with todays gaming world that it really hurts my head. Truly the last dinosaur of the gaming world.

StayDead

If they're blocking by IP I'm completely screwed. I'm mostly digital Japan with Nintendo and I'm in the UK. I import nearly everything I purchase and this will basically stop me purchasing anything. This sucks if this is true x_x

I would like to know what they were thinking when they come up with this stuff. Like how can people who make such good software, games that fit like a glove be so idiotic when it comes to online services. I really want to see them justify it at length.

Cheeky

So next month i will not be able to buy anything anymore on my Canadian 3ds with a Canadian account because i live in Europe? And i might not even be able to use my current downloads?

This is some serious BS

Nintendo hasn't gone far enough. I demand city locking. Motherfuckers in Columbus are taking my business all the way here in Cincinnati.

Firebrand

Uh. That's terribly restrictive. My 3DS has been set to the UK which is where I bought it but do not reside. This better not block software already purchased from functioning.

Locking people into only accessing their region's version of an online store is commonplace, but possibly locking people out of legitimately bought and paid for content just because it's not from their region? Really?

wsippel

Banned
Wasn't this how it always worked? I don't think you could ever change the country you used to register your NNID? I had to register a second NNID to buy an 18+ game on the Austrian eShop back before Nintendo's parental controls were certified in Germany - and I had to do the same thing with PSN and I think XBL, so it's not like this is or was a Nintendo specific thing (at least Nintendo got their shit certified in Germany - Sony never did). So I guess they probably just reworded the license agreement and nothing really changed?

Why would anyone buy any digital product from Nintendo? No, seriously, I'm asking because people apparently do so.

I bought Animal Crossing New Leaf because it made too much since and I got it for just under $30. Ace Attorney 5 will be my next purchase only because it's eShop exclusive.

Everything else is physical, won't even bother with digital otherwise for them.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Good job Nintendo, such a smart move.
I'm guessing this will affect no one, but why do this? Absurd.
You guessed wrong
So next month i will not be able to buy anything anymore on my Canadian 3ds with a Canadian account because i live in Europe? And i might not even be able to use my current downloads?

This is some serious BS

Edit: Isn't the new addition LOCKING YOUR GAMES BECAUSE YOU VISIT ANOTHER COUNTRY?

No one does that.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, only Nintendo can implement a DRM system that becomes worse for the consumer as time goes by. First they made it easy to link all our purchases across their console and handheld systems on an ID that's far easier to permanently delete along with those purchases than it is to deactivate or transfer to another system. And now this, and if this is retroactive then holy shit is it just a horrible move.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think this has always been a part of their User Agreement, Australia still has the 2013 version for example, and it also includes this same text.

http://microsite.nintendo-europe.com/terms/wiiu/WiiU_NetworkEULA_AU.html

Exactly, we already knew this. They are not IP locking the eShop and not locking you out of your content. All this says is that NNIDs are bound to the original region settings, i.e. if you move from America to Europe and buy a new PAL 3DS, your old US NNID will not be usable on it. If you have a US machine and take it abroad it will still work perfectly normally, it's about transferring accounts to a different region's hardware.

GAF freaking out over nothing. These restrictions were explained in detail when they announced NNIDs.

MarkusRJR

Holy shit. So when I go down to the states to see family my Nintendo ID and digital purchases don't work? Who thought this policy was okay? What the absolute fuck?

Officially never buying eShop stuff. I thought the lack of legitimate account system was bad enough but this is literally taking it way too far in terms of restrictiveness.

EDIT: Read it again and I might have misunderstood what they meant? Does this mean existing games/account aren't usable in other regions or that you can only buy from the set region's eShop? The latter is an infinitely better situation, as long as you can still purchase games from the eShop whilst out if the country (eg. buying games whilst in the US from the Canadian eShop) and continue to play purchased content. Can someone clarify?

The_Lump

Banned
What could their reasoning for this actually be? I mean seriously? What benefit does it give them?

At this point they should be welcoming sales no matter where they are from.

edit: Oh wait, misunderstood. Doesn't sound like it's changed.

Somnid

This doesn't sound new at all. Wasn't that exactly the issue surrounding people in Australia getting games from Europe and feeling jilted when Nintendo moved to NNIDs with currency locks?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Exactly, we already knew this. They are not IP locking the eShop and not locking you out of your content. All this says is that NNIDs are bound to the original region settings, i.e. if you move from America to Europe and buy a new PAL 3DS, your old US NNID will not be usable on it.

Like what the PS VIta does?

mantidor

That's not what it says at all. It says that if you move to another country you will not be able to change your NNID to match your location.

What they are trying to say is that you will not be able to use the native eShop in your new country without a new account/device. You are already locked in to US/EU/JP region settings when you buy the console.

You cannot do that right now. If you create an NNID it's stuck in whatever region you set it up to. I should know.

The fact it is worded like " If you move to another country, you may not be able to use your Nintendo Network ID", plus, they have a deadline, June 13, means they will indeed take more measures than what is already in place, and that is basically IP blocking, because the console and the NNID are already region locked.

Wow, only Nintendo can implement a DRM system that becomes worse for the consumer as time goes by. First they made it easy to link all our purchases across their console and handheld systems on an ID that's far easier to permanently delete along with those purchases than it is to deactivate or transfer to another system. And now this, and if this is retroactive then holy shit is it just a horrible move.

Well MS has been trying to make DRM that gets worse for the consumer, and it was only the masses voting with their wallets that made them back off on the Bone's original DRM scheme.

Ghost23

Seriously who is working at this company and thinks that this is a good idea? Hell most of the decisions that Nintendo has made in the recent past are terrible.

Darmik

They don't do any online or account checks with the digital games I thought?

Right now, you can access all of the digital games no matter which account you are using. But you can't use the eShop unless you change the region on the Wii U to match the NNID.

Right now I use an Australian and a UK account. If I want to access UK content, I switch the Wii U region to the UK and I can access the eShop fine. But my Australian account is locked from the eShop until I switch the Wii U back to Australia.

My only guess is that they're removing that option? But I'm not sure how they could enforce this? Surely they can't patch in online DRM?

Top Bottom