• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo (don't) change NNID policy (?)

Buzzman

Banned
You are fucking kidding me here. Panicking because I bought my Wii U in Canada, registered in the US, live in Ireland and will be spending summer working in the Caribbean.

Is this going to fuck me up? Please tell me this isn't going to fuck me up.
What's the problem? Just rebuy the games for each country you'll be living in.

lol

Beckx

So seriously, what does this mean? That if you're in a new country and try to connect, it will use geofiltering and lock you out of your eshop content?

Because it can't mean that. They wouldn't do that.

Would they?

It's like they made an account system but only because others made it. Istead of being a convenience for the customers its becoming more and more an hindrance.

Does this mean all the games I bought for my 3DS will be rendered unplayable once I move countries in a year or so.

What? Seriously?

Griss

Holy shit that Wii U's seen a lot of places for being region locked.

Good luck, I guess it isn't an option to buy NTSC titles physically is it?

Oh it is, it's the very reason I only buy Wii U retail games on disc; if I'm over there or if I can find a cheap easy import.

But what about my virtual console games (amassed when I lived in the US) and NES Remix 1+2, Nano Assault Neo and others? Are they seriously going to take this shit away from me because I MOVED COUNTRY?

Actually, thinking about this I am getting seriously fucking mad. Can this cheap greedy shithouse of a company do any fucking one thing right outside of their dev houses these days? Fuck me.

Dinjooh

So this will end the 'Look what I can do at the airport with my Wii U' threads on reddit?

This sounds insanely dumb. I'm about to start school in another country and well, had hoped to buy a Wii U at the end of the month - if this proves true, lol nope.

clav

Was debating whether I should buy digital or retail. I was going to buy digital, but wow, I do travel, too.

This stipulation settles it.

Thanks Nintendo.

So seriously, what does this mean? That if you're in a new country and try to connect, it will use geofiltering and lock you out of your eshop content?

Because it can't mean that. They wouldn't do that.

Would they?

That's exactly what it means:

If you move to another country, you may not be able to use your Nintendo Network ID (including Digital Products) and you may have to create another Nintendo Network ID if you want to enjoy Nintendo Network in this new country.

mantidor

I thought we knew this already? It sucks but when they introduced the NNID they were clear that you were locked into whatever country settings you chose.

I think this is implying they are going to go with geo-locking through IP. So far you couldn't change your location but you could still use your nnid anywhere.

LeftLegitimateAtlanticsharpnosepuffer.gif

DevilFox

...wat? I'm missing the logic behind this move. Shouldn't they go in the exact opposite direction? Hopefully we get it wrong..

icnoPNDtGhina.gif

In five years, when Nintendo's vault of IPs is sold off for scrap at pennies on the dollar and then abused for all eternity by IAP pachislot developers at a giant mobile-games conglomerate, we can just point back to this exact change as a proxy for how they brought it on themselves.

Oh it is, it's the very reason I only buy Wii U retail games on disc; if I'm over there or if I can find a cheap easy import.

But what about my virtual console games (amassed when I lived in the US) and NES Remix 1+2, Nano Assault Neo and others? Are they seriously going to take this shit away from me because I MOVED COUNTRY?

Actually, thinking about this I am getting seriously fucking mad. Can this cheap greedy shithouse of a company do any fucking one thing right outside of their dev houses these days? Fuck me.

Raise a storm over twitter, see if it sticks. It's fucked that they can hurt loyal customers like this.

Griss

It's like they made an account system but only because others made it. Istead of being a convenience for the customers its becoming more and more an hindrance.

This is exactly what it's like. They don't want the hassle of having to do it, they don't want people to only have to do things once, they don't understand how much it means to the average consumer...

They've been reluctant about this shit from the start. I refuse to believe it's pure incompetence anymore. It's got to be more than that, an active decision to fuck the consumer any way they can if they think it'll bring in a few more rupees.

In five years, when Nintendo's vault of IPs is sold off for scrap at pennies on the dollar and then abused for all eternity by IAP pachislot developers at a giant mobile-games conglomerate, we can just point back to this exact change as a proxy for how they brought it on themselves.

Well said. It's a nightmare future, but it seems to be the future Nintendo is determined to bring about.

A few years ago I would have been sad to see this post, but these days I really can't help but agree.

Shiina

What a disgusting practice. Good thing Nintendo is working on more anti-consumer practices instead of making games.

wrowa

I hope they aren't talking about geo-blocks here... Would be terrible for everyone who imported a 3DS from another region.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, if you move to another country you can't use your NNID to make purchases? Or you can't sign in at all? This is really vague, and regardless of what it actually does I'm struggling to see how it makes any sense at all.

The only thing I can really think of is that nothing is actually changing from a functionality or service standpoint and that this is just a TOS update to cover themselves in the case of cross-region/international customer service issues. Which is still bullshit, but slightly less bad than the rest of the interpretations being posted.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Is this to region lock the eshop? If so why don't they just force the eshop that is from the console's country of origin to load regardless of where they are?

The consoles are already distinguished as PAL, NTSC or NTSC-J soooo, why do this?

Jomjom

Banned
So I guess we now know how to communicate with the big 3.

Sony - Make a lot of noise on social media before a proposed feature is coming and it'll likely be changed.

MS - Make a lot of noise on social media, but it likely won't matter unless lots of people refuse to preorder or buy something.

Nintendo - Don't make any noise on social media or else they'll do the opposite and make it even worse to shut you up!

Stop asking for region unlocking right away!

MrBS

As someone who has never lived in the US but all consoles 'live' in the US I'm sure there will be ways around this. Just don't start IP locking ninty. That would make me sad. I wish nintendo dollars could be purchased via code on amazon :(

Beckx

Well then I guess... don't change your country info if you go on vacation...

Unless they're geofiltering. Ugh.

But if they are doing it by country info that's even worse....don't people do that to get Streetpass country tags?

JazzmanZ

You're going to be pretty disappointed in 5 years then.

RoyalFool

Banned
Does this mean they are IP blocking the store etc? If so what about people who have import systems with accounts registered to the hardwares origin rather than their own? This sounds like I won't be able to buy Japanese games on my Japanese DS with my Japanese account without actually being in Japan which is crippling for importers.

Nintendo deserve to be out of the hardware market with their draconian attitudes.

jimi_dini

Wait, do they actually IP regionlock the accounts?

Or is it just something like PSN accounts, where the country is locked and you will have to create a second account in case you want to enter a different country and you will violate the agreement in case you enter wrong data?

mantidor

Hm.. I'm confused, I don't think NIntendo is smart enough to enforce this.

People are so naive, of course they are smart enough to do this. Nnid locked in hardware is not some oversight by people 'out of touch' or whatever the meme is, it was done on purpose with the specific intent of making it difficult to move software between different machines.

I hope this isn't geofiltering and is just saying that you can't change your system's country setting while maintaining the same NNID, which is already the case with the 3DS.

Top Bottom