• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians revealed - more at E3 - Fall 2015 [Box Art person is new guy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipyap

You guys think Halo5 will have firefight like ODST/Reach?

I still don't get why they took it out in Halo4, it was so fun...
They took it out because so few people wanted to play it by the rules in Reach, the playlist eventually devolved into the most idiotic and pointless game mode ever created. A wave-based "survival" mode with infinite lives and power weapons with infinite ammo.

Mix

In my opinion it really isn't easy for 343 to get everyone pleased with the future of Halo 5 multiplayer. I mean, the fanbase is clearly requesting a "back to the roots" way - while on the other hand 343 also needs to make sure to create something fresh - or it will get much criticism, too. The community often forgets that. They just can't get out and say "yeah well, everything is exactly like it was ... 10 years ago". While that may sounds great for some, in the end this would hurt the franchise. I can really imagine that this task isn't easy to solve.

The 3-year-developement-cycle will help. We all agree on that. But how could they solve that dilemma and please everyone? Well, I think something like this would male nearly everyone happy:

Arena Games
- classic 4 vs 4 Halo gameplay (MLG style)
- no perks
- no upgrades
- no customization (only skins)
- no vehicles
- small-medium sized maps
- map-located weapon spawn

War Games
- 16 ODST vs 16 ODST + 4 Spartans per side
- spawning from air-dops (how awesome this would be!?)
- medium-large open maps
- vehicles
- weapon attachments/perks/any kind of customization
- clan/group-creation support

I am not just talking about different playlists. I mean - in the end, we have two different multiplayer experiences here. Delivered in one game. Add dedicated servers, 60 fps, balanced dual-wielding and skill-based ranking system - and 343 only can win. Yes, I know. There is a risk of "seperating" the community. However, I think the risk here is pretty small, since in its core - both "modes" have the same basic Halo elements and people could enjoy both modes from time to time.

what-no-gif.gif

In my opinion it really isn't easy for 343 to get everyone pleased with the future of Halo 5 multiplayer. I mean, the fanbase is clearly requesting a "back to the roots" way - while on the other hand 343 also needs to make sure to create something fresh - or it will get much criticism, too. The community often forgets that. They just can't get out and say "yeah well, everything is exactly like it was ... 10 years ago". While that may sounds great for some, in the end this would hurt the franchise. I can really imagine that this task isn't easy to solve.

The 3-year-developement-cycle will help. We all agree on that. But how could they solve that dilemma and please everyone? Well, I think something like this would male nearly everyone happy:

Arena Games
- no perks
- no upgrades
- no vehicles

War Games
- medium-large open maps
- vehicles

I am not just talking about different playlists. I mean - in the end, we have two different multiplayer experiences here. Delivered in one game. Add dedicated servers, 60 fps, balanced dual-wielding and skill-based ranking system - and 343 only can win. Yes, I know. There is a risk of "seperating" the community. However, I think the risk here is pretty small, since in its core - both "modes" have the same basic Halo elements and people could enjoy both modes from time to time.

It will actually be fresh if they go back to their roots since those type of games barely exist anymore. What is not fresh anymore is the usual perks and loadouts from the past 7-8 yrs. How come Halo only grew despite it being pretty similar from Halo 1-3 then?

klodeckel

Banned
nonono.gif

So, ... Why no? Who exactly would lose something in the described scenario? Just interested why the "Halo community" over here is so afraid of new experiences within the existing (and great) universe. In the end, we probably will get a classic multiplayer Halo experience at the end of this year. If we get the same again next year with new maps and better graphics - wouldn't that just be pretty boring in the end?

Again: I am not saying the classic Halo multiplayer is bad or dead. I wouldn't ever say that (see my avatar ;) )! Halo is unique as it is. However, this shouldn't exclude some evolution progress from time to time. And that includes changes with risks.

Deviousx

I must be the only person who wants Halo BTB to remain 8v8. I still play Reach and 4 and 8v8 is the sweet spot for BTB. Some people say it's too small but my intense games on Hemorrhage will disagree. Map control is everything. Heck playing against a full team on Utopie and you searching by yourself sucks as it is because no one on your team followed you to Banshee and now you're stuck getting spawn killed for 15 minutes because the other team doesn't want to cap the flag or arm the bomb and would rather stat pad their K/D (I do it too sometimes when I'm searching with my team so I won't be too critical of them lol).

If they are going to up the player count to 16v16 or 32v32 or whatever, make it a separate playlist and keep BTB as is.

Welfare

Arena Games
- no perks
- no upgrades
- no vehicles

War Games
- medium-large open maps
- vehicles

At that point, 343 should just make 2 different games. Halo 5 needs to be a game that has ONE main way to play it, and that one way can be altered with custom games. 2 or more different styles of play ruined Halo Reach and 4 IMO.

Mix

So, ... Why no? Who exactly would lose something in the described scenario? Just interested why the "Halo community" over here is so afraid of new experiences within the existing (and great) universe. In the end, we probably will get a classic multiplayer Halo experience at the end of this year. If we get the same again next year with new maps and better graphics - wouldn't that just be pretty boring in the end?

Again: I am not saying the classic Halo multiplayer is bad or dead. I wouldn't ever say that (see my avatar ;) )! Halo is unique as it is. However, this shouldn't exclude some evolution progress from time to time. And that includes changes with risks.

First and foremost, the game type, War Games as you propose it is extremely unbalanced.

Also, Halo has experimented enough, it's time to get back to what works.

Anyone who thinks that there should be load outs, weapon customization, and perks of any kind in Halo does not know what they are talking about (that includes Big Team Battle).

They should focus on making fun maps that contain power weapons that respawn in the same location. There should be a few (not all) levels that contain "switches" that activate bridges, open gates, or destroy environments (like Zanzibar).

Guns should not have recoil, you're a fucking spartan.

This is all that is needed to make a good Halo game. Everyone else can stop suggesting stupid ideas. Halo 4 was created because of stupid ideas and industry "trends."

Filaipus

Banned
They took it out because so few people wanted to play it by the rules in Reach, the playlist eventually devolved into the most idiotic and pointless game mode ever created. A wave-based "survival" mode with infinite lives and power weapons with infinite ammo.

That makes no sense since the main thing it was praised was the local multiplayer and not the xboxlive thing. You guys Forget that xbox live is only big on the USA, other countries still do a lot of local multiplayer.

Akai__

The core problem with Spartan Ops was still the repetition and lack of more interesting objectives. Second half did some things better in that regard, but at a certain point you still felt that fatigue. One of the better things they did was how the opened up the levels to reveal new spaces to keep it fresh. Apex, Infinity and Lock Up maps were fantastic in that regard.

Relevant: Mission Crimson

Anyone who thinks that there should be load outs, weapon customization, and perks of any kind in Halo does not know what they are talking about (that includes Big Team Battle).

They should focus on making fun maps that contain power weapons that respawn in the same location. There should be a few (not all) levels that contain "switches" that activate bridges, open gates, or destroy environments (like Zanzibar).

Guns should not have recoil, you're a fucking spartan.

This is all that is needed to make a good Halo game. Everyone else can stop suggesting stupid ideas. Halo 4 was created because of stupid ideas and industry "trends."

Guns should have recoil. You realize Halo CE-3 had recoil right?

TheOddOne

Wait, not that I disagree with the problem of formulaic level design for those missions, but that video is just highlighting that people in radio contact use your call sign to refer to you. That seems...dumb.
Both Reach and ODST were good in giving minimal battle chatter, but still being engaging and adding something to the game. Spartan Ops just bombarded you at every objective, even sometimes unnecessarily, and did little to flesh out the story. Sounds harsh, but when something becomes that grating, you just stop caring what is going on.

Akai__

Wait, not that I disagree with the problem of formulaic level design for those missions, but that video is just highlighting that people in radio contact use your call sign to refer to you. That seems...dumb.

Come on dude, I made a joke about the repetition.

Also pretty much this:

Both Reach and ODST were good in giving minimal battle chatter, but still being engaging and adding something to the game. Spartan Ops just bombarded you at every objective, even sometimes unnecessarily, and did little to flesh out the story. Sounds harsh, but when something becomes that grating, you just stop caring what is going on.

Flipyap

That makes no sense since the main thing it was praised was the local multiplayer and not the xboxlive thing. You guys Forget that xbox live is only big on the USA, other countries still do a lot of local multiplayer.
Er, what? If the mode can't gather enough people from around the world to keep the playlist alive before a sequel comes out (it was dead within a year), then there definitely was no secret society of LAN partying mole men living somewhere under Europe's surface.

cluto

Arena Games
- no perks
- no upgrades
- no vehicles

War Games
- medium-large open maps
- vehicles

343 already "tried something fresh" with Halo 4 when they modernized the franchise with perks, loadouts, and all that other nonsense.

You can introduce new and interesting mechanics that build on Halo's strengths without ruining the things people like about the gameplay. It's not easy, but it's possible. The problem is that the designers need to be both knowledgeable enough about Halo, and creative enough to come up with ideas that are fresh and interesting. I always say things like vehicle-boarding and theater mode are fantastic additions to Halo that only improved the franchise. Maybe more unique and interesting gametypes, map designs, and weapons could be enough to "refresh Halo" -- they're certainly things I'd like to see. Not weapon customization, not Titanfall-esque movement, not vehicle ordnance. The point is, there are smarter ways to go about doing this rather than copying the more popular games out there or compromising and segmenting your playerbase to try to appease everyone.

Besides, where do asymmetric objective maps like Terminal and Zanzibar fit into this split-multiplayer experience? Those were built for 4v4 to 6v6, but vehicles were an integral part of them. 1 Flag and Assault on those maps were super competitive, teamwork-oriented, and god damn amazing. You're not going to have anything close to a similar experience when there are 32 players with random abilities running around with eight scopes and three grenade launchers on their DMRs. If you have to have player ability, weapon, and vehicle customization, put it in Firefight -- it's unlikely to hurt anyone there.

Hahahahahah where did you get this idea from?

rrc1594

Why on earth would MS do that?

If true, it's like they're trying to get there to be leaks.

I'll take that with a grain of salt, cause he was feeling salty because people's pantys didn't get wet over The Order. Which could be great game, but they did shity job of showing why I should be hyped

Chettlar

Banned
I'll take that with a grain of salt, cause he was feeling salty because people's pantys didn't get wet over The Order. Which could be great game, but they did shity job of showing why I should be hyped

Thuway is a bit odd. Obvious Sony fan. Don't know if I'd go so far as to say fanboy, but yeah, he seems to enjoy saying negative things about MS and positive about Sony.

Don't know that I've ever seen a post from him about Nintendo. Not a serious one anyway.

tasch

Banned
343 already "tried something fresh" with Halo 4 when they modernized the franchise with perks, loadouts, and all that other nonsense.

You can introduce new and interesting mechanics that build on Halo's strengths without ruining the things people like about the gameplay. It's not easy, but it's possible. The problem is that the designers need to be both knowledgeable enough about Halo, and creative enough to come up with ideas that are fresh and interesting. I always say things like vehicle-boarding and theater mode are fantastic additions to Halo that only improved the franchise. Maybe more unique and interesting gametypes, map designs, and weapons could be enough to "refresh Halo" -- they're certainly things I'd like to see. Not weapon customization, not Titanfall-esque movement, not vehicle ordnance. The point is, there are smarter ways to go about doing this rather than copying the more popular games out there or compromising and segmenting your playerbase to try to appease everyone.

Besides, where do asymmetric objective maps like Terminal and Zanzibar fit into this split-multiplayer experience? Those were built for 4v4 to 6v6, but vehicles were an integral part of them. 1 Flag and Assault on those maps were super competitive, teamwork-oriented, and god damn amazing. You're not going to have anything close to a similar experience when there are 32 players with random abilities running around with eight scopes and three grenade launchers on their DMRs. If you have to have player ability, weapon, and vehicle customization, put it in Firefight -- it's unlikely to hurt anyone there.

I appreciate your post, and I agree on all fronts. Bungie was trying to introduce a game mode that allowed for player customization and specialization, the invasion and invasion slayer game types (which iiirc had vehicle drops). The entire game mode was designed around these aspects of asymmetry (not only in map but also in player). Bungie seems to have the wherewithal to know that you can't force these changes in slayer or traditional game modes. Objective based game modes which offer more class based gameplay, and rely less on strength of an individual, was the key.

I think the biggest detriment to halo has been the removal of weapon placements and inclusion of drops, that one aspect alone if changed back would normalize halo in that players would no longer be carrying random weapons constantly and making every encounter a proverbial coin toss. If weapon drops were removed, and weapon placement added; It means that any duel would come down to the player who either worked to get the weapon on the map (stategy/map awearness), or the player who was best with the weapon they had (skill). This is a core aspect of the halo competitive multiplayer in my opinion.

Yes abilities and sprint add unnecessary random elements, but with the proper map design those abilities can be accounted for and balanced appropriately.

Pathos

Banned
Thuway is a bit odd. Obvious Sony fan. Don't know if I'd go so far as to say fanboy, but yeah, he seems to enjoy saying negative things about MS and positive about Sony.

Don't know that I've ever seen a post from him about Nintendo. Not a serious one anyway.

I don't trust him
Thuway said:
GTA IV / Halo got 10s from every single site / publication ever, and those games reeked of shit.
That's his reaction when Uncharted 3 got 8/10 from Eurogamer lol

RayMaker

Banned
I have not played much halo just the first one and some time will halo3.

The multilayer in halo3 was pretty cool with all the vehicles and stuff to bad I absolutely sucked at it.

I dont mind something like halo3 multiplayer it will certainly be a break from the twitch/perk/killstreak shooters.

JimiNutz

Banned
The only Halo 'perks' I've ever enjoyed are the roll move that you could do as an Elite in Reach and the booster pack evade thing from Halo 4.
I also really like the titan dash in Titanfall.

Does anyone else agree that some kind of thruster pack so that you can evade/dash would be good for Halo? Obviously it would have to be charged up so that it couldn't be spammed.

I just think it adds more skill to firefights without breaking the core gunplay of Halo.

MysteryM

LOL wut? the UK has a huge online community, I'm in the uk and have had xbox live for 10 years bud and I've been playing with other British players since the original online rainbow 6.

I would, his attitude stinks

I appreciate your post, and I agree on all fronts. Bungie was trying to introduce a game mode that allowed for player customization and specialization, the invasion and invasion slayer game types (which iiirc had vehicle drops). The entire game mode was designed around these aspects of asymmetry (not only in map but also in player). Bungie seems to have the wherewithal to know that you can't force these changes in slayer or traditional game modes. Objective based game modes which offer more class based gameplay, and rely less on strength of an individual, was the key.

I think the biggest detriment to halo has been the removal of weapon placements and inclusion of drops, that one aspect alone if changed back would normalize halo in that players would no longer be carrying random weapons constantly and making every encounter a proverbial coin toss. If weapon drops were removed, and weapon placement added; It means that any duel would come down to the player who either worked to get the weapon on the map (stategy/map awearness), or the player who was best with the weapon they had (skill). This is a core aspect of the halo competitive multiplayer in my opinion.

Yes abilities and sprint add unnecessary random elements, but with the proper map design those abilities can be accounted for and balanced appropriately.

A friend and I were talking about this yesterday, and he feels that Reach is the best Halo package while Halo 4 is garbage. I don't agree personally, I played more of 4. I think that both Reach and 4 were great games, just not great Halo games. They introduced too much randomization into encounters with the armor abilities for the game to be focused on skilled play. The addition of more randomization in Halo 4 drive the game further from the base Halo formula which made most battles impossible for good players to reliably predict. Reach was similar though, with the jet pack, armor lock, camo, decoy, sprint abilities the game was a mess of potential imbalance depending solely on what each team chose as armor abilities. I feel that Halo began the decline into randomization with Halo 3 with armor abilities that were pickups throughout the maps, but it was too bad due to the ability to reasonably predict who had picked it up due to timing and map placement. Halo 2, assuming no physics or button glitches, was the most balanced Halo gameplay wise. This is just my opinion, and they are like assholes, so ignore me if you think I'm an idiot because in all likelihood I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom