• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians revealed - more at E3 - Fall 2015 [Box Art person is new guy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanN92

Banned
I can't wait for E3.

I've applied for a Xbox Media Brief invite so hopefully I get to see the new Halo awesomeness in person again (I went last year.)

LordOfChaos

Maybe...But the cover for 5 also has both of them on it. If he has a standalone game, he'll be in two games.

And more Halo is always fine by me, but think about the people budget of 343, between 5 and the master chief collection they're probably all tapped out.

Blueblur1

I'm preobably reading way too far into this, but I find that this is worded fairly specifically.
Now, the general speculation right now is that the Ridley Scott feature is going to be following Mike Colter as "Marlowe" and that this character is also the unnamed spartan on the Visual ID art released last week for Halo 5: Guardians.
Back to the Bulletin, What if the reason that the team keeps wording halo 5 that way and referencing a 2014 Halo release because the next halo release we'll see is a small back story for Marlowe? Of course, IF this were the case it would essentially be what MGSV: Ground Zeros is for the Phantom Pain, but it would be cool to release a game to support this new character. It would be like if they released the Arbiter half of Halo 2's campaign as a small stand alone.
I feel like they could do this alongside a Halo 2 Anniversary as kind of a Spartan Ops style "demo" campaign.
(Frankie, tell me I'm reaching if this is ridiculous)
I don't necessarily want this to happen, it's really just speculation, but it really could be interesting.
TL;DR: Marlowe could get a game before Halo 5 comes out.

I doubt they have the resources for that.

At what temperature do the suns of that world burn? And what is the atmospheric density? And what creatures live there? And what time of day is it? How do Rayleigh and Mie scattering work there? And so on and so forth...
True, true.

Perhaps I was thinking too narrow mindedly by comparing this planet to the one Solace takes place on.

Any hints at what the concept art is? Also, are those the flying squids that almost made it into Halo 4?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn this thread got big.

Has there been any additional information (besides the box art) people have uncovered or is this thread just pure speculation?

Blueblur1

Microsoft could provide?

Well, it's not as easy as that. Projects have to be planned out and part of that planning is budgeting. And aside from that headache, there's the fact that they would have to take time away from working on the main game to create the theoretical side game Mix thought of. That would have to be something they set aside time for long in advance and with a 3-year dev cycle I'm sure all of their efforts have been concentrated on just one game. (Also, you have to taken in account that at some point they will have to prepare one or two demos of the game to give to press. Those demos also take time and resources to prepare.)

Something like the rumored Halo collection is more feasible because it can be farmed out to another developer. Making a separate junk of your main game would cause development to take longer (see Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain).

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I was supposed to sound like a mildly disappointed dad.

Look at it this way, people crave the leaks because they're excited about it. We may not get as great a picture from leaks as from official footage, but having people being so ravenous for your product they're willing to put up with cryptic bullshit posts is a very good problem to have.

SpartanN92

Banned
Totally jealous, you comin' to RTX this year?

Nah I'm afraid not buddy. Just E3 and PAX for me this year. I was able to do all 3 last year because my E3 trip was free (Thank you 343 :p). It isn't free this year lol. I can afford 2 trips not 3 lol

Chettlar

Banned
I'm preobably reading way too far into this, but I find that this is worded fairly specifically.
Now, the general speculation right now is that the Ridley Scott feature is going to be following Mike Colter as "Marlowe" and that this character is also the unnamed spartan on the Visual ID art released last week for Halo 5: Guardians.
Back to the Bulletin, What if the reason that the team keeps wording halo 5 that way and referencing a 2014 Halo release because the next halo release we'll see is a small back story for Marlowe? Of course, IF this were the case it would essentially be what MGSV: Ground Zeros is for the Phantom Pain, but it would be cool to release a game to support this new character. It would be like if they released the Arbiter half of Halo 2's campaign as a small stand alone.
I feel like they could do this alongside a Halo 2 Anniversary as kind of a Spartan Ops style "demo" campaign.
(Frankie, tell me I'm reaching if this is ridiculous)
I don't necessarily want this to happen, it's really just speculation, but it really could be interesting.
TL;DR: Marlowe could get a game before Halo 5 comes out.

So, like I've said in the past, like a Halo 5: ODST kind of game.

I've had this weird hunch that something that is neither Halo 2 or Halo 5 will be releasing this year or next.

If anything they'll probably do for this "Marlowe"/Mike Colter character what they did for Lasky in Halo 4: Forward Unto Daw, i.e. introduce Lasky in the TV show establish the character, their backstory, motivations, personality, outlook etc... then just re-introduce him again in the game minus all the character exposition.

If anything they'll probably do for this "Marlowe"/Mike Colter character what they did for Lasky in Halo 4: Forward Unto Daw, i.e. introduce Lasky in the TV show establish the character, their backstory, motivations, personality, outlook etc... then just re-introduce him again in the game minus all the character exposition.

Probably. Which would be fine. FUD/Lasky was the one good thing that Halo 4 did with its handling of the expanded universe (whereas everything else about the game's plot was a complete trainwreck if you weren't briefed on the EU).

So pardon the double post here but the description for the Halo: Escalation Issue #9 popped up and (at least from what I can tell), may have confirmed that the Ur-Didact survived after his tumble at the end of Halo 4, and could have been the one that broke MC's visor...

"In the days following the events of Halo 4, the Master Chief faced one of his greatest challenges. Halo® lead writer Brian Reed (Amazing Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel) takes the Master Chief from the fires of Halo 4 to the pages of Escalation in “The Next 72 Hours” Part 2!"

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/22040/article/halo-5-guardians-did-didact-survive-to-break-master-chief-s-helmet/

I missed the initial news, but let me get this straight;

Halo 5 title leaked, along with boxart place holder? New protagonist who will share lead with Master Chief, ala Halo 2?

Also, someone from 343 found out about the leaks, and is (naturally) upset? Did I get all that right?

Frankie (Stinkles) is in this very thread.

Madness

I don't think anything really leaked aside from one or two people saying that Halo 5 would be announced soon on twitter, and one of the main leaks was a Guardians of the Galaxy image. I could be wrong but I didn't see much else before 3 AM when Bonnie announced it.

jamiept

Banned
I don't think anything really leaked aside from one or two people saying that Halo 5 would be announced soon on twitter, and one of the main leaks was a Guardians of the Galaxy image. I could be wrong but I didn't see much else before 3 AM when Bonnie announced it.

Yeah. Personally, I feel it still took away some of the impact of the official announcement.

It's like a surprise party for you in which you find out a few minutes before hand that a surprise party has been planned.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I also believe that beside this Master Chief collection something else is also coming between now and Halo 5 Guardians. The reason I think this is, they specifically said
journey definitely begins in 2014 with a giant leap, rather than one small step

Why would you say this? I mean why would they emphasis small and giant leap. Very interesting. Do you guys think just release 4 old games would be a giant leap?

HTupolev

Why would you say this? I mean why would they emphasis small and giant leap. Very interesting. Do you guys think just release 4 old games would be a giant leap?
Well, it's like several smaller leaps.

Which in many circumstances can be like making one giant leap.

Except when you're trying to jump past a lava pit and stuff.

rokkerkory

I also believe that beside this Master Chief collection something else is also coming between now and Halo 5 Guardians. The reason I think this is, they specifically said

Halo 5 beta

Maybe...But the cover for 5 also has both of them on it. If he has a standalone game, he'll be in two games.

And more Halo is always fine by me, but think about the people budget of 343, between 5 and the master chief collection they're probably all tapped out.

That's most likely being outsourced to the developers who did Halo: CEA.

So pardon the double post here but the description for the Halo: Escalation Issue #9 popped up and (at least from what I can tell), may have confirmed that the Ur-Didact survived after his tumble at the end of Halo 4, and could have been the one that broke MC's visor...

"In the days following the events of Halo 4, the Master Chief faced one of his greatest challenges. Halo® lead writer Brian Reed (Amazing Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel) takes the Master Chief from the fires of Halo 4 to the pages of Escalation in “The Next 72 Hours” Part 2!"

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/22040/article/halo-5-guardians-did-didact-survive-to-break-master-chief-s-helmet/

Whoa, this is big. This basically confirms the Ur-Didact still lives! That's pretty exciting. I can't wait to see how that ends up. Then again, what would have really stopped Ur-Didact from killing the Chief? Did Iso-Didact possibly intervene, saving the Chief's life? Was Ur-Didact maybe so weakened that the Chief had a fighting chance? I must know!

ROMAD

Banned
So is this new tv show rated r or mature or what!? Because if it isn't and the games are still rated that way then I think it's bs, the show should be gritty and graphic and intense. I hate the off camera implied bs when it comes to war

So is this new tv show rated r or mature or what!? Because if it isn't and the games are still rated that way then I think it's bs, the show should be gritty and graphic and intense. I hate the off camera implied bs when it comes to war

They can make it a bit gritty or violent, but they have to be careful. Too far and it comes off cheesy.

Jaeger

I'm really excited about this. I felt 4 was a fantastic product, and I like the way the Didact was handled. Nothing is cooler than a incredibly tall alien wielding telekineses.

Lately, it feels like 343 is definitely pulling from the same imaginative places I wonder into. For years I've been sketching out helmet and armor designs that mimic where they took this new Spartan's design to. I need to find the sketches I did. I kind of went Tekkaman Blade all over the visor, though. Lol

I'm on of the Halo players who enjoys the single player campaign (and that bad ass coop campaign DLC) more than multiplayer (although I put a few months into that after launch), and I know on that they will deliver.

TLDR; Keep up the great work, 343. Preordered via Amazon earlier.

Filaipus

Banned
Posted this on Halo:Lore topic, wanted to know your opinion

Ok, small question.

If the Didact was sent to split space who is he giving his speech in the end? Am I missing something?

Maybe to a group of forerunners also?

Just do what I'm doing, keep up to date via the Internet with resources like Halopedia.

Taking a look at the first issue, and I'm kind of liking it. I especially like some of the artwork. I'm a big collector and these things aren't that long, so I'd really regret missing out on them. Can't believe I'm even saying this, but my respect for Palmer jumped a bit during the first issue.

I'm on of the Halo players who enjoys the single player campaign (and that bad ass coop campaign DLC) more than multiplayer (although I put a few months into that after launch), and I know on that they will deliver.
Im with you, I haven't been much into Halo MP since 2.
characters and story are what I care about, though Firefight was awesome.

abadguy

Banned
I'm really excited about this. I felt 4 was a fantastic product, and I like the way the Didact was handled. Nothing is cooler than a incredibly tall alien wielding telekineses.

Lately, it feels like 343 is definitely pulling from the same imaginative places I wonder into. For years I've been sketching out helmet and armor designs that mimic where they took this new Spartan's design to. I need to find the sketches I did. I kind of went Tekkaman Blade all over the visor, though. Lol

TLDR; Keep up the great work, 343. Preordered via Amazon earlier.

My biggest problem with Didact was that the final battle with him played out like some COD shit. As in you kill the big bad via QTE. Hoping 343 NEVER does that shit again.

My biggest problem with Didact was that the final battle with him played out like some COD shit. As in you kill the big bad via QTE. Hoping 343 NEVER does that shit again.

But it worked for the story, and it was probably necessary because it was tough to really justify how the Chief would stand a chance based on the Didact's previously displayed abilities. So it kind of made sense for things to go that way.

Only other possible way the Chief would have stood a chance is if the Didact decided to fight on the Chief's terms, which at the time was highly unlikely. Maybe the Chief will evolve in some way where that telekinetic ability isn't a viable option against him, but for Halo 4 I was totally fine with the outcome. It was effective, and I found it pretty damn cool. I wouldn't change a thing about Cortana's most badass moment. Read through the first escalation. Enjoyed it. Quite a few major events that interest me from a fiction standpoint. Definitely going to get them all.

They should have done a mini bossfight at least, like the bossfights in h2 (e.g. against the heretic). A real good Cutscene showing the events afterwards would be much more awesome than first person QTEs. Halo always had amazing cutscenes but no real first person cutscenes, just events you can pay attention to (like the landing of the FuD in H3)

HTupolev

But it worked for the story, and it was probably necessary because it was tough to really justify how the Chief would stand a chance based on the Didact's previously displayed abilities. So it kind of made sense for things to go that way.
I somewhat agree. In the circumstances of that scene a QTE approach was fairly reasonable, especially since a boss fight probably would have been some forced trash that we'd be leveling just as many complaints toward.

I can't help but think the issue with it is that they staged the Didact as being a directly confrontational character in the first place. Though a good solution doesn't come to mind.

(I am firmly in team "Halo 3 was better off for the lack of a Gravemind boss battle".)

My biggest problem with Didact was that the final battle with him played out like some COD shit.
But it was the worst fishing simulator in the series! Halo 3 is where it gets real.

KoJFjZJl.jpg

Posted this on Halo:Lore topic, wanted to know your opinion

Ok, small question.

If the Didact was sent to split space who is he giving his speech in the end? Am I missing something?

Maybe to a group of forerunners also?

I believe the speech was given by the Didact when the forerunners were debating the future of humanity after winning the human-forerunner wars. The Didact was criticized for being as ruthless as he was by the council and it was at this point that the Librarian went out of her way to ensure that humanity would survive.

Kibbles

ntkrnl said Halo 5 beta in December this year, and it's filled with tons of maps and game modes so it sounds pretty meaty.

ryan299

Didact's speech at the end doesn't necessarily mean he is alive. He could of said it way back when. I do think he'll be back, he was a good villain.

I can't shake the feeling that Chief is going to end up having Bornstellar's genesong.

Hype. I hope they go split style like Halo 2.

Certain segments are chief doing his thing, then other segments are the new Spartan hunting Chief down. Would be awesome.

Also Frankie if you're reading, why not blend some upgrading elements to it? Have open levels that encourage exploring. I go into a cave, find a dead soldier who has a BR with a Silencer. I can then attach that silencer if I have a BR on me.

How does it change the game? I can take the level stealthily. Second playthrough I explore some more and find a clip extender for my shotgun, which changes things again. Could have some great replayability potential.

Filaipus

Banned
I believe the speech was given by the Didact when the forerunners were debating the future of humanity after winning the human-forerunner wars. The Didact was criticized for being as ruthless as he was by the council and it was at this point that the Librarian went out of her way to ensure that humanity would survive.

That would make sense but... Why would he say "The Forerunner have return"? Its the last sentences that seem strange for me...

That would make sense but... Why would he say "The Forerunner have return"? Its the last sentences that seem strange for me...

He doesn't?
Do you mean at the end of the game where Master Chief is getting out of his armor and stuff? The Didact just says "The Mantle of Responsibility for all things belongs to Forerunners alone! Think of my acts as you will. But do not doubt the reality. The reclamation... has already begun. And we are hopeless to stop it."

That's basically when the Forerunners were deciding if they should, or not, pass the Mantle to humanity as it was originally intended by the Precursors, although they were smug enough to think they knew better and refused to do so until they were faced with certain doom by the Flood and the necessity of having to fire the Halos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom