• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians revealed - more at E3 - Fall 2015 [Box Art person is new guy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filaipus

Banned
Even if Master Chief is the biggest rank he is not the commander of any ship, and specially not of the infinity. That is probably why that old guy was acting like that, he felt he was the commander and wasn't going to obey orders from anyone (he had no contact with the "leaders" if I recall correctly), even the guy that saved humanity all those times.
He was actually trying to save those in the ship and didn't want to risk the life of those inside. And maybe he simply didn't like Spartans :eek:

But yea, he made the wrong choice and was punished for it in the end.

Feindflug

Err, so where did I exaggerate? I said Halo 4's IQ wasn't bad for the series (implying that I'm fully aware that 3 and Reach have some IQ issues), while pointing out that it's nothing special for an end-of-gen seventh-gen AAA game.
It's not the claim that Halo 4's IQ tends better than its predecessors that bothers me, it's the claim that Halo 4 sets some kind of glorious high bar for AAA seventh-gen games despite being extremely average. We're not looking at a Forza Horizon or a Ridge Racer 7 here.

I agree that Anniversary has a pretty good ppAA implementation for a 360 game. Actually, I think it looks far better than Halo 4's; it's feels less aggressive, but most major edges get cleaned up nearly as well. Despite the lower resolution, it looks sharper than Halo 4 does, while also often looking less annoyingly aliased due to scene composition tending to contain less extreme high-frequency high-amplitude detail.

I disagree that Halo 4's IQ is more consistent than Halo 3's. Halo 3's IQ is extremely consistent, though you'll cut your eyes on the jaggies. Halo 4 cycles about between scenes that look alright, scenes that look soft and smeared, scenes that look blotchy, and even some scenes that alias worse than Halo 3 courtesy of Tron Lines.

You really have a hard time saying anything positive about the game do you? the IQ of Halo 4 was very good for what it was and held up better than other end of the gen AAA games that run at similar resolutions and had PPAA solutions (for example, TLoU & Gears Judgment), trying to downplay Halo 4's IQ by comparing it to two exceptions like Horizon (a game with 4xMSAA+FXAA) and RR7 (a game which run at 1080p) is totally unfair.

HTupolev

You really have a hard time saying anything positive about the game do you?
Yes, I've generally been extremely critical of Halo 4.

I think it's a good game, and I think it's got impressive visuals in certain respects.

But I think it's overall pretty terrible compared to every other game in the series, and I don't find it nearly as technically impressive as a lot of people do.

the IQ of Halo 4 was very good for what it was and held up better than other end of the gen AAA games that run at similar resolutions and had PPAA solutions (for example, TLoU & Gears Judgment)
Haven't played Judgement, but I'm not sure I'd call Halo 4's IQ significantly better than TLoU's. They both look soft, but due to scene composition Halo 4 can sometimes suffer from more annoying aliasing.

trying to downplay Halo 4's IQ by comparing it to two exceptions like Horizon (a game with 4xMSAA+FXAA) and RR7 (a game which run at 1080p) is totally unfair.
That's my point, though. People are acting like Halo 4's IQ is somehow amazing, a high bar for AAA games of this gen; I find that to be a bizarre opinion when there are AAA games that completely wipe the floor with it. I'm not claiming that Halo 4's IQ sucks because there exist games with exceptionally good image quality; I'm suggesting that Halo 4's image quality isn't exceptionally good.

Anyone else think the new Spartan looks like a mash up of technologies? Like a best of breed ONI, Covie and Forerunner. Clearly it's ONI Spartan by design, forearms and thighs remind me of Covie Elite textures and the overall smoother lines are reminiscent of Forerunner design.

It looks like ONI has been busy with this tech.

LordOfChaos

He looks just like any other Spartan IV.

I guess the leftmost, a little bit, but still seems sleeker.

Majectisic-team_4786987_lrg.jpg

Dude, woah. I thought they made them look different with CGI because these were young people with artificial growth speeding hormones.

It's the chest plate depressing with such a radical angle that's causing the optical illusion, whereas OG Chief armors were a little more barrel-chested. Looks fine with a giant doofy bobblehead helmet on (as it should), looks kinda weird with it off.

Yes, I've generally been extremely critical of Halo 4.

I think it's a good game, and I think it's got impressive visuals in certain respects.

But I think it's overall pretty terrible compared to every other game in the series, and I don't find it nearly as technically impressive as a lot of people do.

Haven't played Judgement, but I'm not sure I'd call Halo 4's IQ significantly better than TLoU's. They both look soft, but due to scene composition Halo 4 can sometimes suffer from more annoying aliasing.

That's my point, though. People are acting like Halo 4's IQ is somehow amazing, a high bar for AAA games of this gen; I find that to be a bizarre opinion when there are AAA games that completely wipe the floor with it. I'm not claiming that Halo 4's IQ sucks because there exist games with exceptionally good image quality; I'm suggesting that Halo 4's image quality isn't exceptionally good.

I can't think of to many last gen console games that "wipe the floor" with Halo 4 in terms of IQ and presentation. Halo 4 really did look fantastic and i'm not dissing Halo 3/Reach as they did look good as well but Halo 4 looked brilliant.

HTupolev

I can't think of to many last gen console games that "wipe the floor" with Halo 4 in terms of IQ and presentation.
I agree that there aren't a huge number of seventh-gen AAA games that "wipe the floor" with Halo 4 in terms of IQ. If there were, I'd probably be accusing Halo 4's IQ of being particularly bad for a seventh-gen AAA game, which I'm not.

Chettlar

Banned
To be fair, that was pretty much just one asshole... who IN-GAME gets removed from command specifically for screwing with the Chief. Everyone else that that dude orders to mess with Chief are hesitant at most, and let him do what he wants anyway in most cases.

He stood out because he actively demeaned Chief, but I'm not just talking about him. I'm talking about "I thought you'd be taller" and mostly everybody just like being all meh around him, as if they'd been with him for years before now, as if he'd never gone.

Where is the "OH SHITTTT A SPARTAN" kind of attitude Bungie gave it's characters?

Look up "The Babysitter" (part of the Halo cartoon show). It really demonstrates a much more proper view of the spartans. First the marines being all WHOA LOOK ODSTS! And then the ODSTs being OMG OMG OMG WE'RE WORKING WITH A SPARTAN? NO WAY.

And that spartan they worked with wasn't even Masterchief. Masterchief should be above and beyond the kind of wonder and respect they have for Spartans in general. I mean in addition to saving humanity's ass three times in a row, he's a spartan II, and they're rather rare nowadays compartively. Almost mythic.

With all this going on, my mind is just blown how 343 did that to chief. It was so disproportionally worse than Bungie's, and yet Frank O'Connor turns around and he's like "I don't think people give Master Chief the recognition he deserves.

o_o

Frankie. Frankie darlin' please.

It's your own damn fault.

He stood out because he actively demeaned Chief, but I'm not just talking about him. I'm talking about "I thought you'd be taller" and mostly everybody just like being all meh around him, as if they'd been with him for years before now, as if he'd never gone.

Where is the "OH SHITTTT A SPARTAN" kind of attitude Bungie gave it's characters?

Look up "The Babysitter" (part of the Halo cartoon show). It really demonstrates a much more proper view of the spartans. First the marines being all WHOA LOOK ODSTS! And then the ODSTs being OMG OMG OMG WE'RE WORKING WITH A SPARTAN? NO WAY.

And that spartan they worked with wasn't even Masterchief. Masterchief should be above and beyond the kind of wonder and respect they have for Spartans in general. I mean in addition to saving humanity's ass three times in a row, he's a spartan II, and they're rather rare nowadays compartively. Almost mythic.

With all this going on, my mind is just blown how 343 did that to chief. It was so disproportionally worse than Bungie's, and yet Frank O'Connor turns around and he's like "I don't think people give Master Chief the recognition he deserves.

o_o

Frankie. Frankie darlin' please.

It's your own damn fault.

I think all of that boils down to Infinity being the birthplace of the Spartan IVs. Folk like Del Rio and the staff of the ship would've been used to Spartans at that point and a bit of the mythic qualities, worn off.

In the Babysitter, which is a fantastic example, the Naomi-010 lookalike Spartan II was at the height of Spartan popularity if you will, right in the middle of the Great Human-Covenant War. Of course the grunts and even the ODSTs were in awe. You don't just get deployed with a Spartan II.

Halo 4 is different circumstances.

Hopefully, Halo 5 shows Master Chief teaming up with other Spartan IIs and demonstrating to the S4s just how powerful, they really are.

I can't understand why folk are so quick to ask for Marty time and time again. He's gone guys, he chose to move on from Halo.

He didn't move on from the series, he moved with Bungie. Marty was also the head sound guy for Bungie studios, who promptly fired him after completing Destiny.

I don't see why he'd be opposed to doing even just a few tracks for the OST.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This is what some guy said a while ago:

the serious stuff on that list is enough for a HUGE grin on my face. saw this when first posted, but thank you for the repost reminder. i actually have a lot of hope in halo 5. at the very least they seem to be heading in the right direction.

the serious stuff on that list is enough for a HUGE grin on my face. saw this when first posted, but thank you for the repost reminder. i actually have a lot of hope in halo 5. at the very least they seem to be heading in the right direction.

The real question is what's serious? We could get a linear cinematic setpiece of a campaign and get Promethean shell charge grenades that reload teammate ammunition and a Forerunner minigun that's got the filter cutoff of a Skrillex software instrument.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The real question is what's serious? We could get a linear cinematic setpiece of a campaign and get Promethean shell charge grenades that reload teammate ammunition and a Forerunner minigun that's got the filter cutoff of a Skrillex software instrument.

The tension while waiting for the bass to drop can kill five grunts.

EmpReb

Banned
I will say this again. I am a PC gamer... I hate console games.. .mostly. But Halo 4 sold me on Halo 5. I don't care the Muliplayer was shit. I play PC FPS multiplayer.... it was the freaking amazing campain that had me going "If these guys can do this with a 360 what can they do with next gen hardware." I will be first in line fore Halo 5 Xbone special edition. I love what has been done with the universe and really is the worth investing if the whole package can be bought on the XBONE.

Chettlar

Banned
I think all of that boils down to Infinity being the birthplace of the Spartan IVs. Folk like Del Rio and the staff of the ship would've been used to Spartans at that point and a bit of the mythic qualities, worn off.

In the Babysitter, which is a fantastic example, the Naomi-010 lookalike Spartan II was at the height of Spartan popularity if you will, right in the middle of the Great Human-Covenant War. Of course the grunts and even the ODSTs were in awe. You don't just get deployed with a Spartan II.

Halo 4 is different circumstances.

Hopefully, Halo 5 shows Master Chief teaming up with other Spartan IIs and demonstrating to the S4s just how powerful, they really are.

That's no excuse. He's still the highest rank in the Navy (masterchief is part of the navy...wat). He still has done incredible things. Even the other Spartan IIs, IIIs, and IVs should be glad to get the chance to see or meet him.

I can't think of to many last gen console games that "wipe the floor" with Halo 4 in terms of IQ and presentation. Halo 4 really did look fantastic and i'm not dissing Halo 3/Reach as they did look good as well but Halo 4 looked brilliant.

No 360 or PS3 title "wipes the floor" with Halo 4 imo. In fact, I think Halo 4 is easily one of the best looking games on either platform and the most visually stunning 360 title. I didn't even initially believe Halo 4 was running on the 360. It's a very impressive jump over either Halo 3 or Reach.

I will say this again. I am a PC gamer... I hate console games.. .mostly. But Halo 4 sold me on Halo 5. I don't care the Muliplayer was shit. I play PC FPS multiplayer.... it was the freaking amazing campain that had me going "If these guys can do this with a 360 what can they do with next gen hardware." I will be first in line fore Halo 5 Xbone special edition. I love what has been done with the universe and really is the worth investing if the whole package can be bought on the XBONE.

No longer as hardcore a PC gamer as I once was, but I couldn't agree with you more on Halo 4 selling me on Halo 5. I've never been as excited about a followup to any Halo title as much as I'm anticipating Halo 5 after Halo 4. I thought the series was running into some trouble and needed some fresh life breathed into it, and 343i did that. I don't really care much for multiplayer, either. Same as you I come purely for the campaign. I would also love nothing more than to have an opportunity to have the entirety of Master Chief's exploits on the Xbox One.

JimiNutz

Banned
Halo is one of those games which never needed 60fps, i hope that doesn't mean they are going to make it faster and turn it into a more frantic shooter.

They probably are.

Halo doesn't need to be fast and frantic but if they remove sprint, which lots of people seem to want, then they can at least slightly increase the base movement speed.

I'm not saying it needs to turn into COD, but COD is so fast paced not necessarily due to the movement speed but due to the kill times.

Longer kill times make shootouts way more fun and way more skilled in Halo. Increasing base movement speed doesn't remove this... If anything it just increases the skill level because now you need to strafe and dodge at a higher speed.

The titan gameplay in Titanfall reminds me a bit of Halo. Shoot outs in that involve lots of movement aide to side, in and out. Popping behind cover to briefly recharge your shields then popping back out to engage in the shootout again. I hope Halo makes some kind of dash or evade standard for all players (maybe in place of sprint). That will add another layer of skill to the shooting and won't break gameplay (like sprint where people just run away).

NavNucST3

That's no excuse. He's still the highest rank in the Navy (masterchief is part of the navy...wat). He still has done incredible things. Even the other Spartan IIs, IIIs, and IVs should be glad to get the chance to see or meet him.

The highest ENLISTED rank in the Navy, NOT the highest rank (every officer outranks him). Having said that, from a respect level you'd find an extremely large portion of both enlisted and officers respecting a Master Chief a great deal more than you'd find respecting an Ensign or even a Lieutenant for that matter.

Havoc2049

Missed this post.

This is huge news.

I wonder if he was supposed to say that...

Master Chief is like the highest rank a spartan can get right?

That's why everybody disrespecting him is so absolutely weird. He saved the whole of humanity three bloody times. But even if we forget that, he is still an officer. You treat officers with respect.

Such an odd, odd situation. No idea why the writers did that.

Because then Frankie turns around and he's like essentially "I think I really want to change how people view Chief -- how important he is rank-wise."

And I'm like WTF, then why on earth did your last game completely demean Chief as much as humanely possible?

I thought all Spartan II's were enlisted, so Master Chief for John-117 was the highest ranking Spartan II. Spartan III's and IV's though have officers in their ranks.

The Spartan II's are closely associated with Dr. Halsey and once it leaked out to the public that all the Spartan II's were kidnapped as children and replaced with clones, ONI spun it and used Dr. Halsey as a scapegoat and blamed it all on her. So ONI ran with the story that Dr. Halsey is this evil rogue scientist and the Spartan II's, while awesome warriors, are mindless drones. That is mainly why some of the people on Infinity had a negative attitude towards the Chief and Halsey, because they have been drinking the ONI Kool-Aid. Laskey though had previous experience with the Chief in Forward Unto Dawn and knew that the Chief and other Spartan II's were good people and he started to figure out the bull shyt that ONI was feeding them and that they were railroading Halsey to cover their own arses. Dr. Halsey is just a civilian after all and the Spartan II program was a big expensive program that would have had to been signed off on by higher ups within ONI and the UNSC.

I thought all Spartan II's were enlisted, so Master Chief for John-117 was the highest ranking Spartan II. Spartan III's and IV's though have officers in their ranks.

The Spartan II's are closely associated with Dr. Halsey and once it leaked out to the public that all the Spartan II's were kidnapped as children and replaced with clones, ONI spun it and used Dr. Halsey as a scapegoat and blamed it all on her. So ONI ran with the story that Dr. Halsey is this evil rogue scientist and the Spartan II's, while awesome warriors, are mindless drones. That is mainly why some of the people on Infinity had a negative attitude towards the Chief and Halsey, because they have been drinking the ONI Kool-Aid. Laskey though had previous experience with the Chief in Forward Unto Dawn and knew that the Chief and other Spartan II's were good people and he started to figure out the bull shyt that ONI was feeding them and that they were railroading Halsey to cover their own arses. Dr. Halsey is just a civilian after all and the Spartan II program was a big expensive program that would have had to been signed off on by higher ups within ONI and the UNSC.

I'm not sure about that...
Yes, the Spartan 2s are all NCOs (excluding Fred, who was promoted so he could oversee the training of the 3s)... which means that even the lowliest 2nd class Leftennant outranks even the Master Chief.

Which is what made the whole Del Rio being disciplined thing so odd... he was the ranking officer, John -117 disobeyed a direct order (which is really weird considering how Spartan 2s were raised and indoctrinated), and Del Rio gets punished for it.

ryan299

Lol, that would imply that she is still alive.

Btw what happenend with Del Rio?

She is. It would be stupid to kill her off completely, especially the way it happened in four. She'll be back in some capacity. It is possible to cure an AI from Rampancy.

See Mendicant Bias. http://www.halopedia.org/05-032_Mendicant_Bias

Chief isn't the highest ranking Spartan II. Osman, from Glasslands is the highest ranking one at Admiral. Although some may not count her as a Spartan bc she didn't complete the augmentation process.

The next two highest ranked Spartans are Kurt and Fhajad both Lieutenant Commanders. Fhajad was crippled during the augmentation process, so you can argue he isn't a full Spartan if you want.

http://www.halopedia.org/Kurt_Ambrose#Trivia

Caayn

I'm not sure about that...
Yes, the Spartan 2s are all NCOs (excluding Fred, who was promoted so he could oversee the training of the 3s)... which means that even the lowliest 2nd class Leftennant outranks even the Master Chief.

Which is what made the whole Del Rio being disciplined thing so odd... he was the ranking officer, John -117 disobeyed a direct order (which is really weird considering how Spartan 2s were raised and indoctrinated), and Del Rio gets punished for it.
Kurt trained the Spartan IIIs not Fred. Kurt was promoted, and he died protecting them on Onyx. When Halsey and the other Spartans escaped from Onyx the planet was renamed to Trevelyan in honor of Kurt

HTupolev

Lol, that would imply that she is still alive.
Hey, actually finding Cortana isn't implied by searching.

And the entire time, the Chief is hunted by Dustin Echoes, now wearing SIV armour he found in the Chiron TL-34 dumpster, wanting to get back at him for the abandonment on Alpha Halo.

And then the game-long fetch quest ends with the Chief finding a McFarlane Cortana figure.

Hey, actually finding Cortana isn't implied by searching.

And the entire time, the Chief is hunted by Dustin Echoes, now wearing SIV armour he found in the Chiron TL-34 dumpster, wanting to get back at him for the abandonment on Alpha Halo.

And then the game-long fetch quest ends with the Chief finding a McFarlane Cortana figure.

I can't believe Chief just left him on the destroyed Halo, Cortana told him he was alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom