• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians revealed - more at E3 - Fall 2015 [Box Art person is new guy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want it from the horse's mouth, not buttocks :D
dead

steph4.gif

Caayn

Hype. I hope they go split style like Halo 2.

Certain segments are chief doing his thing, then other segments are the new Spartan hunting Chief down. Would be awesome.

Also Frankie if you're reading, why not blend some upgrading elements to it? Have open levels that encourage exploring. I go into a cave, find a dead soldier who has a BR with a Silencer. I can then attach that silencer if I have a BR on me.

How does it change the game? I can take the level stealthily. Second playthrough I explore some more and find a clip extender for my shotgun, which changes things again. Could have some great replayability potential.
We just had a game with "upgrading elements", Halo 4. And it wasn't received that positively. I'm firmly against upgrades/customization in Halo, the red dot sight on the BR on the released artwork is creeping me out.

We just had a game with "upgrading elements", Halo 4. And it wasn't received that positively. I'm firmly against upgrades/customization in Halo, the red dot sight on the BR on the released artwork is creeping me out.

Um...there was upgrading in Halo 4 single player? Did we play the same game?

jem0208

Not even purely visual customisation?

I would love it if they added proper cosmetic customisation of weapons rather than just skins which can only be obtained through buying them :l

SpartanN92

Banned

The ODST SMG had a red dot sight and all it did was link to your helmets internal targeting the exact same way the Pistol/BR/Sniper etc do.

You'll note the Halo pistols visually only have iron sights yet no aim down.

Gotta squash this dumb ads rumor right now!

TTUVAPOR

Banned
The ODST SMG had a red dot sight and all it did was link to your helmets internal targeting the exact same way the Pistol/BR/Sniper etc do.

You'll note the Halo pistols visually only have iron sights yet no aim down.

Gotta squash this dumb ads rumor right now!

Supposedly Frankie back in 2011 was in a gamespot interview saying ADS isn't Halo. Well, that was 2011. Fast forward to today, anything is possible. If MSFT suits push for ADS, 343 has no choice.

I for one do not want ADS in Halo, in any form, shape or fashion.

SpartanN92

Banned
Supposedly Frankie back in 2011 was in a gamespot interview saying ADS isn't Halo. Well, that was 2011. Fast forward to today, anything is possible. If MSFT suits push for ADS, 343 has no choice.

What suit do you see pushing for ADS?

Remember our man Phil is in charge now!

Filaipus

Banned
He doesn't?
Do you mean at the end of the game where Master Chief is getting out of his armor and stuff? The Didact just says "The Mantle of Responsibility for all things belongs to Forerunners alone! Think of my acts as you will. But do not doubt the reality. The reclamation... has already begun. And we are hopeless to stop it."

That's basically when the Forerunners were deciding if they should, or not, pass the Mantle to humanity as it was originally intended by the Precursors, although they were smug enough to think they knew better and refused to do so until they were faced with certain doom by the Flood and the necessity of having to fire the Halos.

O wow, you are right. Completely confused myself here hahaha.
Sorry, my bad :/

Bsigg12

Which suit at Microsoft do you expect to push ADS? Phil Spencer? Yea I doubt that

Mix

Nah I'm afraid not buddy. Just E3 and PAX for me this year. I was able to do all 3 last year because my E3 trip was free (Thank you 343 :p). It isn't free this year lol. I can afford 2 trips not 3 lol

Hey man, I totally understand. If I could I'd be at PAX and E3 as well.

What suit do you see pushing for ADS?

Remember our man Phil is in charge now!

Exactly, Phil Spencer is not going to let anything ridiculous happen to Halo.

All this talk of ADS reminds me how I wish ODST had been completely different from standard Halo so it could have gotten more love that it deserved.
It wouldn't have really mattered, it would still have the view of being a lowly expansion that was overpriced on release.

My favourite 360 Halo release though.

jem0208

Which suit at Microsoft do you expect to push ADS? Phil Spencer? Yea I doubt that
Honestly, when has a suit ever pushed for an individual feature like ADS?

I could see higher ups asking for a game to be modernised or for it to be streamlined or other buzz words. But when. I they ever actually take part in the game design, that's the job of the designers which the suits are paying them to do...

It wouldn't have really mattered, it would still have the view of being a lowly expansion that was overpriced on release.

My favourite 360 Halo release though.

Its my favorite Halo all together very slightly above CE.
But I feel if the basics had been completely different it would have been viewed in a better light.
3rd person or a Rainbow Six style tactical squad shooter for the Buck segments, I don't know.

LordOfChaos

Doesn't the speech at the end, basically hint that the Didact is alive and still pissed? "Reclamation has begun..."

Yeah, I thought that was obvious, when he was sealed away the reclamation wasn't even close to starting, every race was in shambles. And when else had they squandered "eons in the darkness", and only now are humans taking Forerunner triumphs (engines, shields, etc) for themselves.

I'm 93% sure he's still alive, and I strongly suspect he's talking to a group of still living Forerunners as well, perhaps they were hiding out from other races (squandering eons in the darkness) until now.

I believe the speech was given by the Didact when the forerunners were debating the future of humanity after winning the human-forerunner wars. The Didact was criticized for being as ruthless as he was by the council and it was at this point that the Librarian went out of her way to ensure that humanity would survive.
Didact's speech at the end doesn't necessarily mean he is alive. He could of said it way back when. I do think he'll be back, he was a good villain.

When did they squander eons in the darkness during that war? When did humans take their triumphs for their own, as ancient humans had built their own tech up to that level, unlike modern? How had the reclamation begun when humanity had been decimated?

Chettlar

Banned
Are we expecting a decent trailer for this or basically another teaser since its so far out?

Halo 4 had a teaser in 2011 and then a gameplay trailer in 2012, with CEA getting gameplay in 2011 since it was getting released that year. Perhaps Halo 5 will be teaser in 2014 and gameplay in 2015, with 2A getting gameplay in 2014 since it will be getting a release this year?

Only difference was that Halo 5 has been announced and Halo 4 was not officially announced this time in 2011. But still, I think we could expect a fairly parallel situation.

zeron

Banned
will they use an enhance halo 4 engine for H2A or would it be an earlier version of the halo 5 engine since they will reuse some stuff?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
It should be something similar to the Halo 4 debut in 2011 I would think. Maybe a little more substantial since the game is already announced.

Nah, Halo 4 type tease we already got last year. If we are looking at Beta during Q1 2015, then I think we will see something in engine. I hope this beta is what they mean when they say giant leap.

May be a story teaser?

Mix

will they use an enhance halo 4 engine for H2A or would it be an earlier version of the halo 5 engine since they will reuse some stuff?

Well, considering the best, and most reasonable option would be to do what they did with Halo 1 and just use the old Halo 2 engine and build new graphics for the game. No new items besides things like skull enhancements or terminals. Just Halo 2 with shinny new graphics and the original multiplayer suite. As far as assets go, it could go either way. They could reuse Halo 4 stuff (which I think they should) or they can sit there and retool everything. Honestly, it's going to be interesting either way.
Nah, Halo 4 type tease we already got last year. If we are looking at Beta during Q1 2015, then I think we will see something in engine. I hope this beta is what they mean when they say giant leap.

May be a story teaser?
Unfortunately, a trailer with MINIMAL in engine footage is to be expected, if only to temper your hype and expectations. We're a year and a half out from release of Halo 5 so I'd expect a story trailer with some if any in engine footage to bide us over until the mulitplayer reveal proper in January, followed by a March beta.

derFeef

Would be nice if they added terminals like in halo 1 that you then can unlock on the halo waypoint app.

Would be nice if the games themselves would communicate story elements instead of making the player rely on books, comics, apps and secrets to get information about certain characters, story beats and stuff like that.

:p

TheOddOne

Would be nice if the games themselves would communicate story elements instead of making the player rely on books, comics, apps and secrets to get information about certain characters, story beats and stuff like that.

How dare you ask things like this, Feef. HOW DARE YOU BE SO REASONABLE.

bidguy

Banned
It should be something similar to the Halo 4 debut in 2011 I would think. Maybe a little more substantial since the game is already announced.

fuck no if they plan to show another cg trailer they might as well not show anything

mp reveal would be a nice way to get some long time fans excited

Skele7on

Banned
Is is worth playing through Spartan Ops to catch up with the story, or would be ok to just see the cut-scenes?

I didn't really see spartan ops add anything to the story, to be honest you could just watch the videos, as the missions are generally go here, clear it out, get out.

LordOfChaos

How dare you ask things like this, Feef. HOW DARE YOU BE SO REASONABLE.

I understand things must be pretty confusing for people who don't read the books. But I also get that it's a *lot* of story to pack into a what, 8 hour campaign? Either it would have to get a lot longer (which I fear would make quality take a hit) or it would be a lot more story and a lot less action. Or, they could keep letting users who are interested in the story seek out terminals and the like.

Perhaps they should not be hidden, just unlock cutscenes that you can optionally see when you finish certain levels.

Is is worth playing through Spartan Ops to catch up with the story, or would be ok to just see the cut-scenes?

I just watched the stitched together hour on youtube, I liked it.

HTupolev

For some pretty decent level design, check out the second half of the season. The island is one of the better levels.

For story stick to the cut-scenes.
The core way SpOps functions keeps it from ever feeling as tight as a Halo campaign, but the second half is definitely better than the first. Also, that one spot on Apex with the Liche is actually great, and arguably the most Halo that Halo 4 gets.

For some pretty decent level design, check out the second half of the season. The island is one of the better levels.

For story stick to the cut-scenes.

Thanks, got halfway through Episode 5 and was getting bored with the chapters, just surviving wave after wave in same location! so was thinking of just watching the cut-scenes.

Glad I stuck with it as you were right second half is way better, feels more like you're doing actual missions.

Seems like they learned later on what make things fun. Have high hopes for Halo 5!!

TheOddOne

The core way SpOps functions keeps it from ever feeling as tight as a Halo campaign, but the second half is definitely better than the first. Also, that one spot on Apex with the Liche is actually great, and arguably the most Halo that Halo 4 gets.

Thanks, got halfway through Episode 5 and was getting bored with the chapters, just surviving wave after wave in same location! so was thinking of just watching the cut-scenes.

Glad I stuck with it as you were right second half is way better, feels more like you're doing actual missions.

Seems like they learned later on what make things fun. Have high hopes for Halo 5!!
The core problem with Spartan Ops was still the repetition and lack of more interesting objectives. Second half did some things better in that regard, but at a certain point you still felt that fatigue. One of the better things they did was how the opened up the levels to reveal new spaces to keep it fresh. Apex, Infinity and Lock Up maps were fantastic in that regard.

desertdroog

I also liked the second part of Spartan Ops, where you get options to use vehicles with allies, so you can run around a level with a warthog, gunner in the back and a rifleman in the shotgun seat. (Even better if the shotgun seat guy has a sniper rifle or rocket launcher!)

That combo was a staple of fun in any Halo game I have ever played. I seek it out, so much in fact, that I also try to get the Warthog into places you aren't supposed to get them, in order to try and use that loadout everywhere on the map.

Barring that, leaving the Warthog in an opportune position to give me covering fire by leading enemies back to the gunners range.

klodeckel

Banned
In my opinion it really isn't easy for 343 to get everyone pleased with the future of Halo 5 multiplayer. I mean, the fanbase is clearly requesting a "back to the roots" way - while on the other hand 343 also needs to make sure to create something fresh - or it will get much criticism, too. The community often forgets that. They just can't get out and say "yeah well, everything is exactly like it was ... 10 years ago". While that may sounds great for some, in the end this would hurt the franchise. I can really imagine that this task isn't easy to solve.

The 3-year-developement-cycle will help. We all agree on that. But how could they solve that dilemma and please everyone? Well, I think something like this would male nearly everyone happy:

Arena Games
- classic 4 vs 4 Halo gameplay (MLG style)
- no perks
- no upgrades
- no customization (only skins)
- no vehicles
- small-medium sized maps
- map-located weapon spawn

War Games
- 16 ODST vs 16 ODST + 4 Spartans per side
- spawning from air-dops (how awesome this would be!?)
- medium-large open maps
- vehicles
- weapon attachments/perks/any kind of customization
- clan/group-creation support

I am not just talking about different playlists. I mean - in the end, we have two different multiplayer experiences here. Delivered in one game. Add dedicated servers, 60 fps, balanced dual-wielding and skill-based ranking system - and 343 only can win. Yes, I know. There is a risk of "seperating" the community. However, I think the risk here is pretty small, since in its core - both "modes" have the same basic Halo elements and people could enjoy both modes from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom