• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The majority of PS4 PSN titles seem to be PC ports. Anyone else incredibly vexed?

Alphahawk

I mean, first of all it's great that Sony is showing indies some love but it;s kind of concerning that the majority of PS4's PSN library consists almost entirely on PC Ports. The only exclusives I can think of are Everyone's Gone to Rapture, Resogun and Basement Crawl. I kind of want to know where the quirky PSN only games that defined the system. Games like Trash Panic and Noby Noby Boy.

Is anyone else concerned about this?

Edit A lot of people seem to be misunderstanding me. I'm not saying indies should be exclusive to the platform, the more outlets for independent developers the better, rather I'm concerned about the lack of Sony first party published titles on the network. I guess I could of worded my thoughts differently.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Worried about what? Dont like it dont buy it. That simple.

Seriously the PS4s "lifetime" just started a little early to be chicken little about anything.

PerZona

Why are you worried? You should be worried when the PS4 has no games, and so what if the majority of PSN titles are PC ports?

KJ869

If you want weird, PC is the place to look for them. That has been reality for few years now. Im glad PS4 is attractive for PC indies. More people will find the great games from the sea of PC games

Jb

Oh my God, those good games aren't PSN exclusives? How the hell am I supposed to enjoy them?

IMO none of the indie/PC port titles are detracting from or replacing the same PS titles we've always had and will in the future. They're simply padding out what would otherwise be an extremely lean year or two during the early console life.

Most games on the new consoles will obviously also be on PC. Indies will probably end up releasing games first on PC, so the PSN release is basically a port at that point. However, Sony is certainly ahead of Microsoft and Nintendo in incubating internal projects that are 'indie' in spirit even though they're being published by Sony. Examples are Hohokum, whatever Giant Sparrow is doing, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, etc. So there will definitely be exclusives, just not as many as some people were hoping for. But I still prefer quality over quantity.

Alphahawk

Because PC games are bad?
I don't understand why this needs to be argued/

No, it's not that at all but it's just that if I buy a PS4 I want to be able to be able to play experiences I can only have on a PS4. I don't want to say "Hmm when is Rougue Legacy coming out on PS4, never mind I'll just buy it on Steam". Granted I would much rather play a game on a console but at a certain point you just have to wonder why you unloaded all that money for PC ports.

Denton

Fuck exclusives. A great game is a great game and should be available to everyone.

This, hard. To me it is bizzare to want more exclusives. In an ideal world everyone should have a chance to play every game regardless of platform (as long as the platform can support it performance and control-wise, obviously).

Arulan

You shouldn't be worried, there are many great PC titles (Indies are a strong example in relation to the PS4) that are getting a chance to be experienced by console users. Their "exclusivity" shouldn't factor into how people enjoy these games.

What could perhaps be worrying is the current state of "AAA" development if you overly depend your enjoyment of gaming on these titles. Budgets continue to increase, it appears there are fewer of them, and mass appeal is being stretched further.

Huggers

As someone who only recently got a decent computer, there's 100s of games I haven't played and would want ported. I just bought Gone Home for example. I wouldn't have missed this for so long had it been ported

No, it's not that at all but it's just that if I buy a PS4 I want to be able to be able to play experiences I can only have on a PS4. I don't want to say "Hmm when is Rougue Legacy coming out on PS4, never mind I'll just buy it on Steam". Granted I would much rather play a game on a console but at a certain point you just have to wonder why you unloaded all that money for PC ports.

Come back in a year or more and if you can still say the same, then we can talk. It's too early to get an idea what the PSN scene is going to be like.

Alphahawk

Shocking news: Indies release games first on pc because entry bariers are lower there.

But it's not just indies, indies are great, like I said I tip my hat to Sony for courting the indie developer. The thing I'm worried about is that Sony themselves don't seem to be very invested in making PSN games for the system, just resting on indies.

Right and experience has shown those games will come. Like I said the games you cited came out 3 years after the PS3 released. Journey came out right at the end and there is supposed to be another tgc game on PS4 debuting at E3 though it may be multiplat. Giant Sparrow are working on Edith Finch, SCEJ will have something in the pipeline.

VanWinkle

No, we won't see many console-exclusive indies at all anymore, because it doesn't make financial sense to them to do it. If they're going to be exclusive anywhere, it will most likely be PC, where they have the largest install base to work with.

In terms of Sony making their own, they rarely ever did that. They would publish some that they had third-party developers make, and we're already seeing that even this early in, with games like Resogun, and the upcoming Everyone's Gone to the Rapture, Helldivers, and Rime. It's still very early days, but they have not abandoned that aspect.

Salsa

instead of trying to justify your purchase by stupid shit like exclusives, buy a PC?

"I bought this thing so I want games other people can't play because they didnt buy this thing. Why do I only get games other people can also play? GRRR"

But it's not just indies, indies are great, like I said I tip my hat to Sony for courting the indie developer. The thing I'm worried about is that Sony themselves don't seem to be very invested in making PSN games for the system, just resting on indies.

Sony supported PS3 late into the cycle so they are now heavily entrenched in making games for PS4. Just give them some time. It's all good. ;)

DocSeuss

It's worth noting that Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was moneyhatted away from the PC, which it was originally announced for.

I'm a tad bit bitter about that.

Corpekata

Banned
I can kinda see where OP is coming from, though that's because I have a PC. Certainly has made my PS plus on PS4 a little less impactful.

However, I've never really found PSN to be that interesting. Well, the last couple years have been but it's easily my least visited digital space as far as smaller titles go. Sony took a long time to really do anything interesting in the space so I would not be surprised to see it happen again. They're a few titles a year interesting, while XBLA and PC have always had the larger stable of games. Now that smaller devs are free from the constraints of Microsoft I don't think we'll ever really see a console really racking them up like we did in the earlier XBLA days. The landscape has changed too much.

big_z

having old indie titles pop up consistently is boring but I guess sony needs filler and there are those that never played these games before. hopefully sony has a diverse and large lineup at E3 that consists of new titles and not old games you can replay on ps4. if they show off another dumping of "revisit your past" games then that will be disappointing to me. I don't care if theyre exclusives or not, I just want new titles.

nded

It hasn't even been a year, bud. I'd rather have PC ports than the traditional post-launch console drought.

As someone who only recently got a decent computer, there's 100s of games I haven't played and would want ported. I just bought Gone Home for example. I wouldn't have missed this for so long had it been ported

Adding to this, Gone Home is a game I have wanted to play for a bit now but even my meager laptop can't run it; thankfully it is being ported over. Like a lot of other PC games that I've wanted to play, those PS4 ports are throwing me a lifeline.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
After the first few months of the PS3's online store you only had stuff like Blast Factor and Super Rub A Dub. I'd take a handful of PC ports any day over that.

Top Bottom