• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The majority of PS4 PSN titles seem to be PC ports. Anyone else incredibly vexed?

I really don't see the appeal of exclusivity. But there is Sound Shapes, Flower, flow, Escape Plan and Dead Nation. Hohokum and Helldivers coming soon. Also Rime, Everybody's gone to the Rapture and Shadow of the Beast coming in the future. That's not a bad line up imo. So no. Not even remotely vexed.

Denton

In that article it says they also needed help to actually develop it, not just money. The scale of the game is more than their studio can handle. They didn't think Kickstarter was a viable option. Perhaps they needed more help than you realise.

You realize that money can hire people, right?

instead of trying to justify your purchase by stupid shit like exclusives, buy a PC?

"I bought this thing so I want games other people can't play because they didnt buy this thing. Why do I only get games other people can also play? GRRR"

Even though I guess you just tried to make the person sound unreasonable and selfish, personally I don't think there's anything wrong with somebody wanting more exclusives for the system they bought

erawsd

having old indie titles pop up consistently is boring but I guess sony needs filler and there are those that never played these games before. hopefully sony has a diverse and large lineup at E3 that consists of new titles and not old games you can replay on ps4. if they show off another dumping of "revisit your past" games then that will be disappointing to me. I don't care if theyre exclusives or not, I just want new titles.

Its to be expected though, a lot of these games are made by very small teams that simply can't afford to work on two versions at once. That was the exact excuse the Octodad team provided when asked about the PS4 delay.

"Big budget" indy games like Transistor, The Witness, Hotline Miami and Oddworld should be there day one.

DocSeuss

Well now we know what it will look like when From and Sony announce Project Beast for PS4.

...why? It's not like FROM was like "aww yis, check out this new PC exclus--naw, dawg, wait, it's coming to PS4 only, 'cause we totally couldn't make it any other way."

Another example? Microsoft moneyhatting Alan Wake away from PC. The problem is LEAVING the PC after a PC version was announced.

Project Beast is ostensibly an AAA retail game that was always going to be PS4 exclusive.

This is more like... y'know, what happened: a PC version was canceled, and as someone who prefers the PC, this is disappointing.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
They should definitely push for exclusivity and a parity clause similar to Microsoft. I'm sure it will go over well with everyone.

Reading the guy laughing at the one guy for suggesting Microsoft would have actually let the game come to PC is a bit weird. I can't think of ANY PSN games that came to PC. I can think of plenty of Microsoft games that have ended up making the jump, however. I'd have to agree: with Microsoft, this'd end up making it to Steam, practically guaranteed. Sony's... pretty much locked it to the console.

That's partly why I'm GLAD Sony's gone for the strategy of "just try to get Sony ports of PC indies." I think it leads to more games on more platforms. If anything, Sony should start publishing stuff on the PC, rather than try to make more PSN exclusives. If they want exclusive stuff, they should put a huge focus on good AAAs. I realize that they haven't ever really done that--most of their content are like mid-range games that sell poorly (even if they're good, though the metascore average is the lowest of the big three for good reason) 'cause they don't really fit the $60 price point--but there's a first time for everything.

Guacamelee was a PSN game that I think Sony helped fund. Had a 6 month exclusivity then came out on Steam. Myabe not the same as Rapture but there is hope.

I just wish indie developers would spend a little more time on these ports and they would optimize them for the PS4.
Daylight for example was not meant to be played on a living room TV. The text is unreadable, also the framerate jumps around like a madman.

I was actually fiddling with a PS4 controller the other day to see if I'd want to get one.

lolnope, it hurts my hands to hold. They haven't figured out the palm grips yet. It's awful. And that build quality thread isn't that exciting.

Besides, why buy a console for just two games?

They announced it for PC, they were working on it for PC, etc. Then Sony came along and suddenly "oh yeah we couldn't make this without Sony's help." If Sony was like "sure, release it for whatever platforms; we don't care," I'd be cool, but this is pretty much guaranteed not to come out on PC anymore, when before, it absolutely was coming on the platform. That rubs me the wrong way.

Their ambitions may have changed. If so, I'm happy they are getting the money to fund this into the project they truly wanted to make. Whether or not they will get the recuperation by having a smaller base to sell to ... is hard to say (Sony does pretty good with the marketing though). What does matter is that they make the best game possible, and if that means making a deal with Sony, then it shouldn't matter to anyone and we should all be happy that this game is as good as it can be.

blazeuk

The more choices the better, personally I have no interest in most of the PC ported indie games on PS4 because I mainly use my PC to play them (with bundles and offers, it's much cheaper that way), but it's great for those who would prefer to use a console or just don't have access to a PC.

I can see why it might be frustrating though, you just have to remember it's pretty early on into this generation and there's a lack of games available, I don't want to see pc ported indie games taking the spotlight over bigger budget/original psn games in the long run but for now it fills a gap.

Handy Fake

I'm so vexed that I'm shaking like a dog shitting razorblades.

Cheap and cheerful PC ports to a platform based on the same hardware to fill the gaps left by the usual dearth of software in that first year of any gen.

erawsd

...why? It's not like FROM was like "aww yis, check out this new PC exclus--naw, dawg, wait, it's coming to PS4 only, 'cause we totally couldn't make it any other way."

Another example? Microsoft moneyhatting Alan Wake away from PC. The problem is LEAVING the PC after a PC version was announced.

Project Beast is ostensibly an AAA retail game that was always going to be PS4 exclusive.

This is more like... y'know, what happened: a PC version was canceled, and as someone who prefers the PC, this is disappointing.

I can see how its disappointing but, unless they are outright lying, Sony's involvement means the project can reach a scale and scope that would not otherwise be possible. SSM are actually hands on with the game's development. The Alan Wake thing was much more insulting since we were fed some awful excuse about how it was meant to be played from a couch.

spekkeh

Banned
I like the idea of Sony acting as a curator, cherrypicking all the greatest indie titles. (So I can buy them on PC as part of a humble bundle). Saves me a lot of work.

DocSeuss

Guacamelee was a PSN game that I think Sony helped fund. Had a 6 month exclusivity then came out on Steam. Myabe not the same as Rapture but there is hope.

...I did not know that. Tentatively hopeful now.

I can see how its disappointing but, unless they are outright lying, Sony's involvement means the project can reach a scale and scope that would not otherwise be possible. SSM are actually hands on with the game's development. The Alan Wake thing was much more insulting since we were fed some awful excuse about how it was meant to be played from a couch.

I was more upset by the "this is an experience that can only happen on a quad-core PC."

Paz

Port could be the wrong term here, most of these games are multi-platform and so they are designed/built with PS4 in mind.

For me a port is when you make a game based on one platforms strengths and then convert it to another, usually weakening it in the process (Usually via control adaptions).

Although we do use ports when talking about performance so I guess that's a bit of semantics... In any case a lot of these games are awesome and the PS4 versions are not worse for the sake of being multi platform.

Port could be the wrong term here, most of these games are multi-platform and so they are designed/built with PS4 in mind.

For me a port is when you make a game based on one platforms strengths and then convert it to another, usually weakening it in the process (Usually via control adaptions).

Although we do use ports when talking about performance so I guess that's a bit of semantics... In any case a lot of these games are awesome and the PS4 versions are not worse for the sake of being multi platform.
any update on your game?

Why should i be concerned about it? I enjoy good games, no matter the plattform, or wether they are exclusive or not. Excusivity doesnt devalue a good game and the more people get to enjoy classic games the better. Somestimes it comes down to what kind of control imput you prefer.
Im pretty sure the PS4 and the XBox One will get their fair share of fantastic exclusives. No need to be worried.

InPlosion

Exclusives are just console war ammo for fanboys, and a lock-in instrument for corporations.
I see nothing good ever coming from a future in which they continue to exist.

The sooner they disappear from this world, the better.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've never understood this argument. It was used extensively against the Vita and now seems to be permeating through to the PS4. Given that more and more Indie games are getting released on the PS4/PC, why isn't the narrative: 'The majority of PC titles seem to be PS4 ports, anyone else incredibly vexed?' I think the inclusion of the word 'majority' is there simply to give credence to the argument but adds no real value to the debate. Easier to port is a good thing and welcomed by most people. For this to be turned into a bad thing, one would have to have a hidden bias and the inclusion of the word 'majority' raises my suspicion.

Neither scenario bothers me and has never bothered people in the past, so why now? I welcome ports, I embrace ports and I want ports. More please.

As someone already mentioned, it's only been 6 months. Games can't be released at a drop of a hat. We know there are some studios creating exclusive content (Housemarque, Giant Sparrow, The Chinese Room, Tequila Works, etc.) But why not just enjoy the great games that are currently out and will be coming out regardless if they are available somewhere else? Would it really be preferable if there was less games available on the platform if it meant that the PS4 was the only place you can play them?

So far there are 6 Sony published PSN games on PS4 and we know about a whole bunch more, include some that appear very ambitious. Seems like they've done a lot in a very short time to me.

And we've already transitioned to the point where PS4 isn't getting so many late PC ports from indies, instead it's getting day and date releases like Transistor and Mercenary Kings.

JP

New console and they've made it an attractive platform for indies so it makes sense that some of the better indie titles are released on the PS4. No issues with that at all but I wouldn't be surprised to see less platform exclusive indie games this time with it being so much easier for studios to port from PC to PS4 and Xbox 1.

A lot of people seem to be upset at the idea someone would buy new hardware expecting some exclusive games. Between this and the Vita, there's a pretty defensive theme I've noticed lately.

OP seemed pretty tame to me. I also wish there were some exclusives on the PS4. I don't mind playing PC ports, but it is a way better value to buy those on PC. Cheaper and will still work on new hardware in the future. If PS4->PS5 is like PS3->PS4, digital games are largely lost in the upgrade.

Eric_S

Tbh I wouldn't mind more ports.

La mulana 1, Risk of rain, Hotline Miami 1, Cave story ... are titles I wouldn't mind seeing spread to as many platforms as possible.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
it's strange to worry about the PC ports the PS4 is getting, rather than the huge number of PC ports that the PS4 isn't getting.

Eusis

The generation is just starting, it'll be awhile before Sony and others make PS4 oriented digital, lower profile titles. And we'll probably see more PC ports in the sense that Transistor is one and less Outlast, Don't Starve, or Stick It To the Man that came to the system later on and maybe after you already got them on PC or elsewhere.

I'm perfectly happy with it, quite a few games on PC are Windows only, so it's great to see them pop up on PSN. It's nice to have the choice and some games I just prefer a controller for anyway.

I've been playing stuff like Steam World Dig and Don't Starve on the PS4, and Shadowrun Returns and Dungeons of Drednor on the PC.

Nzyme32

I'm not saying I won't. I just said that I'm worried that PC ports make up 90% of the PSN library right now.

That shouldn't be a slant against PSN. PC has become a good starting point for Indies and it's thriving there compared to several years ago. There is a lot of success there. It is in their best interest to be in as many places as they can afford to be. Going from PC to other platforms appears to be the easier route for many of them. Beyond that the console has only been out for 7 months or so, it may change depending on what Sony want to fund

Who cares if they're not that many games by SONY. Games are games.

And this is pretty important too. Just enjoy the great games

mejin

Actually, it's been great for me. Outlast and Don't Starve were awesome experiences, since I exclusively play on consoles.

So let Sony keep them coming.

Melchiah

Hell no. I don't have a PC capable enough for gaming, and I've been eyeing the indies on the PC side for a while, so it saves me from the expense of buying one.

I never played these games on PC so...I'm excited more than anything. It's a good way to fill space during the first two years which are always incredibly slow game wise.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Vexed? wow
such hate

Top Bottom