• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The majority of PS4 PSN titles seem to be PC ports. Anyone else incredibly vexed?

Denton

instead of trying to justify your purchase by stupid shit like exclusives, buy a PC?

"I bought this thing so I want games other people can't play because they didnt buy this thing. Why do I only get games other people can also play? GRRR"

So succinctly put.

It's worth noting that Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was moneyhatted away from the PC, which it was originally announced for.

I'm a tad bit bitter about that.

Yeah me too, but I still expect the game to appear on PC, later anyway.

scitek

I think it's great indie devs can be multiplatform now. The more potential revenue streams they have the better.

GhaleonEB

Alternately, Sony could always demand exclusivity and thus land far fewer games - especially indies - on the service for PS4 owners to play. Allowing indies to be multiplatform is better for everyone.

Wiktor

An indie developer would have to be brain dead to make PS4 exclusive, unless Sony paid them to do it. So if you're expecting tons of PSN exclusives then sorry, you won't be getting them.

Just to compare, here were the PSN titles released between November '06 and May '07 for the PS3;

. Blast Factor
. Cash, Guns, Chaos
. Go! Sudoku
. Lemmings
. flOw
. Tekken 5: Dark Revolution
. GripShift
. Q*Bert
. Calling all Cars
. Championship Sprint
. Joust
. Mortal Kombat II
. Gauntlet II
. Rampage World Tour
. Rampart
. Super Rub 'a' Dub

There's a couple of great games there, a good few ports and many forgettable titles. All in all, I think we're currently better off with a crop of good PC indie releases - few may be exclusive to the system, but I'm not sure it matters all that much.

Huggers

Adding to this, Gone Home is a game I have wanted to play for a bit now but even my meager laptop can't run it; thankfully it is being ported over. Like a lot of other PC games that I've wanted to play, those PS4 ports are throwing me a lifeline.

Yeah I can't see how opening up more platforms to play these games can ever be a bad thing. It's not like Sony are going to use them as replacements for first party stuff. Gone Home is awesome btw.

Sotha_Sil

Why does it matter if they are PC ports or not?

Indie devs need all the help they can get. You should be happy they are releasing on multiple platforms, not "concerned" because they aren't exclusives.

The Witness, Galak-Z, SOMA, Pavillion, Transistor, Outlast... rumors of Ether One, Routine, and Mind: Path to Thalamus... I want to see these guys on as many platforms as possible, making as much money as possible, and then making more games. Hopefully they get Xbox One ports, too.

DocSeuss

Just buy a PS4. I hear you are a big PlayStation fan.

I was actually fiddling with a PS4 controller the other day to see if I'd want to get one.

lolnope, it hurts my hands to hold. They haven't figured out the palm grips yet. It's awful. And that build quality thread isn't that exciting.

Besides, why buy a console for just two games?

Sounds like without being 'moneyhatted' the game wouldn't be being made at all.

They announced it for PC, they were working on it for PC, etc. Then Sony came along and suddenly "oh yeah we couldn't make this without Sony's help." If Sony was like "sure, release it for whatever platforms; we don't care," I'd be cool, but this is pretty much guaranteed not to come out on PC anymore, when before, it absolutely was coming on the platform. That rubs me the wrong way.

Haunted

In no world did Trash Panic ever define a system.

At the end of the day, more PS4 PSN games is a good thing, even if they're PC ports.

Toki767

At least the PS4 has a bunch of games to play on it. Or do you not remember how barren the first year was for every other console? Just look at the Xbox One. The PS4 game catalog outnumbers it by at least double by now.

Shin

Banned
Worried, not really.
There's a lot of games for the system and almost everyday a new game is announced for it.
Though personally I find that there's a lack of Japanese games, which is what I'm more interested in.

Abriael

Banned
Sony's first parties seem ton be almost entirely focused on AA and AAA development. I don't think that's a bad thing.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
We "gamers" are a fickle bunch. Developers want to make an income, they can't afford to think "Hey, we've already released this game on PS3, 360 and PC and our next game isn't released until a year from now and income is running dry... I wish there was something we should do that wouldn't inconvenience gamers like porting our game, that's already out, to a new platform.".

Bring 'em on, I say. I enjoy playing games again and again. Currently Killzone is my only AAA-game on PS4. Most of my time is spent between Warframe and Trials. I've enjoyed Don't Starve, which I missed on PC, and Octodad, which I also missed. I don't mind seeing them there. It's a good and solid addition and it helps. I'd argue that Microsoft is in a worse place by not having them there.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Oh my God, those good games aren't PSN exclusives? How the hell am I supposed to enjoy them?

This.

Not everyone has some $800-2000 PC to play games on so we miss out on some good titles, so I'm glad when they come over to the sony consoles

Tizoc

Majority of PS4 retail titles are also availble on PC. Would that make them PC ports or PS4 ports?

I have a weak PC, and even though it can run games like Fez or Stick it to the Man, my PC is situated in an office and I like to keep games off it.

So no, I want every PC indie (or studio release) ported to the PS4/Vita. I love em. Fez, Thomas Was Alone, Walking Dead, Hotline Miami, Limbo, Don't Starve, Spelunky, Warframe, Planetside 2... give them to me. All of them.

The more platforms a game is on (especially an indie game), the higher rate it has of success. I can understand being a little peeved if you're a big PC gamer and you also own a Sony system and get stuck with a game for PS+ that you already own, but aside from that, who cares.

Wanting original content is always great, but I don't see how porting Fez or Limbo to consoles is suddenly going to drive away original content. I think there's a big cost different between porting an old game and creating a new one.

They announced it for PC, they were working on it for PC, etc. Then Sony came along and suddenly "oh yeah we couldn't make this without Sony's help." If Sony was like "sure, release it for whatever platforms; we don't care," I'd be cool, but this is pretty much guaranteed not to come out on PC anymore, when before, it absolutely was coming on the platform. That rubs me the wrong way.

Lots of games get announced that don't even get made. The fact that Sony Santa Monica are actually co-developing it says to me they did need help. But if you think they should have tried their luck on Kickstarter instead, well that's your opinion.

MavFan619

Banned
Nah it'll be fine, and I'm enjoying a lot of the PC ports as well since the laptop I use is far from gaming capable. Isn't Hohokum PS only and coming this Summer? Still too early to think they have abandoned their own developed or published PSN titles.

libregkd

As someone already mentioned, it's only been 6 months. Games can't be released at a drop of a hat. We know there are some studios creating exclusive content (Housemarque, Giant Sparrow, The Chinese Room, Tequila Works, etc.) But why not just enjoy the great games that are currently out and will be coming out regardless if they are available somewhere else? Would it really be preferable if there was less games available on the platform if it meant that the PS4 was the only place you can play them?

Vuze

instead of trying to justify your purchase by stupid shit like exclusives, buy a PC?

"I bought this thing so I want games other people can't play because they didnt buy this thing. Why do I only get games other people can also play? GRRR"

Basically what this thread sounds to me.

Denton

Lots of games get announced that don't even get made. The fact that Sony Santa Monica are actually co-developing it says to me they did need help. But if you think they should have tried their luck on Kickstarter instead, well that's your opinion.

They sold probably now around a million Dear Esther copies on PC, and god knows how many copies of Amnesia 2 (probably quite a lot, considering the brand). They are not poor indie studio. If their next game still exceeded their funds, then they had two options:
1) make a smaller, less financially demanding game
2) seek additional funding

They chose the second option, and they chose it in a way where they shit on their existing fan base. If they went on Kickstarter, or crowdfunded the game on their own site or whatever, AND did not succeed to raise enough funds (and I doubt that would happen, considering their success), then I do not think anyone would begrudge them for going with publisher (and even making their game console only). But they did not, so.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm cool with it. I hate gaming on my PC, so I've missed out on a lot of these games.

Chuck

Still without luck
I just wish Sony would do some work to get them on PlayStation the same day as PC, like they're doing with Transistor.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So are SO and Titanfall yet most people refer to them as moneyhats. Moneyhats everywhere.
To put SO and Titanfall next to each other just proves that you have no understanding of what people actually mean.

Maybe less knee jerk and more understanding?

Wiktor

I just wish Sony would do some work to get them on PlayStation the same day as PC, like they're doing with Transistor.

I'm not sure about that. I think this might negatively effect PC version in some cases.
Also..Sony doesn't exactly have sixth sense. They specifically go mostly for those indies that are either already acclaimed or are made by devs who made such games previously. In the second case having both PS4 and PC versions at the same time would propably mean just delaying pc version by a lot.

They sold probably now around a million Dear Esther copies on PC, and god knows how many copies of Amnesia 2 (probably quite a lot, considering the brand). They are not poor indie studio. If their next game still exceeded their funds, then they had two options:
1) make a smaller, less financially demanding game
2) seek additional funding

They chose the second option, and they chose it in a way where they shit on their existing fan base. If they went on Kickstarter, or crowdfunded the game on their own site or whatever, AND did not succeed to raise enough funds (and I doubt that would happen, considering their success), then I do not think anyone would begrudge them for going with publisher (and even making their game console only). But they did not, so.

In that article it says they also needed help to actually develop it, not just money. The scale of the game is more than their studio can handle. They didn't think Kickstarter was a viable option. Perhaps they needed more help than you realise.

Hohokum and Helldivers are coming soon, in summer.

Those two titles, imo, are going to be PS4's standout 'first-party' small game experience for 2014.

Tetranet

There's no need to be considerably vexed, it's still too early for there to be a diverse library of games. Give it time. I didn't get the PS4 myself for this exact reason, there's nothing I am dying to play right now, and I imagine it's the same for a lot of other people.

After the first few months of the PS3's online store you only had stuff like Blast Factor and Super Rub A Dub. I'd take a handful of PC ports any day over that.

i think the PS3 had a 2 year game drought on the PSN and maybe even retail.. i bought it in 2008 and i thought the console had nothing

Wiktor

Holy shit, the comments section is comedy gold.

Yeah. People were much too bitter about silly stuff like this. Sure, it stung a little,so I propably wouldn't support their Kickstarter or early access, but nothing beyond that.

DocSeuss

Holy shit, the comments section is comedy gold.

Reading the guy laughing at the one guy for suggesting Microsoft would have actually let the game come to PC is a bit weird. I can't think of ANY PSN games that came to PC. I can think of plenty of Microsoft games that have ended up making the jump, however. I'd have to agree: with Microsoft, this'd end up making it to Steam, practically guaranteed. Sony's... pretty much locked it to the console.

That's partly why I'm GLAD Sony's gone for the strategy of "just try to get Sony ports of PC indies." I think it leads to more games on more platforms. If anything, Sony should start publishing stuff on the PC, rather than try to make more PSN exclusives. If they want exclusive stuff, they should put a huge focus on good AAAs. I realize that they haven't ever really done that--most of their content are like mid-range games that sell poorly (even if they're good, though the metascore average is the lowest of the big three for good reason) 'cause they don't really fit the $60 price point--but there's a first time for everything.

Top Bottom