• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Russian compares Watch_Dogs Max Settings vs GTA IV Max Settings

Rockstar's attention to detail really is something else and sets their open worlds far apart from any others. The fire hydrant at the end is a great example. Crazy how much GTAIV did at the time, some of that stuff didn't even make it into GTAV.

mrqs

It's really weird to see how Rockstar knows better how to put detail on their games.

On the side note, GTAV is "worse" than GTAIV in certain aspects: Car deformation, indestructibles tires, less pronounced car explosion, inferior rain effects etc.

Don`t really know how this happens, but...

Anyhow, Ubisoft is still learning how to do a proper real-world simulation... Let's see in the next years.

Woah, didn't know those were Watch_Dogs max settings.

I did know that Rockstar am Gods when it comes to their worldbuilding and their incredibly attention to detail, but its nice to be reminded of it all the same.

Falk

that puzzling face
The first thing that came to my mind is upon starting the video 'why is this car's headlight casting shadows as if it was only one light instead of two?'

Then I realized I hadn't even picked out which game it was and that I am a sad, sad, over-demanding person.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's really weird to see how Rockstar knows better how to put detail on their games.

On the side note, GTAV is "worse" than GTAIV in certain aspects: Car deformation, indestructibles tires, less pronounced car explosion, inferior rain effects etc.

Don`t really know how this happens, but...

Anyhow, Ubisoft is still learning how to do a proper real-world simulation... Let's see in the next years.

With GTAV, I hate the fact that impact damage is calculated as soon as you crash. Crashing at high speed in GTAIV was always hilarious -- one of my mates once made it almost halfway across a bridge after crashing into the back of a car while on a motorbike. Can't do that in GTAV.

Teeth

Its not a comparison of graphics but one of detail. If a 2014 game can't look better than a 6 year old game, HoustonWeHaveAProblem.gif.

Detail is a factor of focus and budget. Seeing the individual scrapes on a wall from a car rubbing against it is beyond worthless to me when so much of GTA4 is total garbage as a game.

Speevy

Banned
It looks okay. If you told me 6 years ago that this was the game that would have everyone frothing with anticipation, I'd have shrugged my shoulders.

Holy...
I've never had a PC strong enough to play GTA IV on max, now I need to get one. The attention to detail is ridiculous...

Zeliard

Rockstar's sheer attention to detail has always been impressive. Individually these aspects may not seem like much, but as a whole they add up to making the world feel a lot more physically reactive than it otherwise would.

Ugh. The almost nonexistent car damage in Watch_Dogs is just sad. Seems like cars slam into each other and might get a broken window at best. Also wow at the fire hydrant bit.

HowZatOZ

Banned
More threads, more! Its clear that things were cut down for the six platforms, but in the end if its fun its fun, no matter the nitpicking needed. Should Ubisoft be strung and quartered for not performing as well as GTA IV (which on PC was completely broken for a fairly long time)?

sjay1994

More threads, more! Its clear that things were cut down for the six platforms, but in the end if its fun its fun, no matter the nitpicking needed. Should Ubisoft be strung and quartered for not performing as well as GTA IV (which on PC was completely broken for a fairly long time)?

I guess.

Detail is a factor of focus and budget. Seeing the individual scrapes on a wall from a car rubbing against it is beyond worthless to me when so much of GTA4 is total garbage as a game.

This is true for me as well. GTAIV plays like a drunk submarine, so while these details are cool to see, they don't make up for the rest of the game which is ultimately what matters.

EDIT: Except lighting. Lighting is crucial in open world titles, and Watch_Dogs is simply not great there at all.

xion4360

well the video does focus on the aspects GTA4 has over watch dogs...mainly physics.. WD is clearly "prettier"

Really need to give the ENBs a third try. GTAIV is one of my favorite games so I was incredibly excited by all those videos but I've never gotten them to work properly :/

Sleeping dogs looks better than both and probably runs better than both.

Sleeping Dogs looks pretty mediocre outside of rainy night time and Watch Dog's easily matches and surpasses that aspect. And GTAIV is 6 years old, it should.

In any case, despite what the title implies this video is much more about the physics details than graphics.

The pedestrians reactions in Watch Dogs are weird, the one got getting hit seemed like he was floating for a second before going over.

Technically GTAIV and V are superior, but its the hacking and the stealth aspects and skill trees and connectivity, the mind trips ect that separate these games and have me excited for watchdogs.

Technically GTAIV and V are superior, but its the hacking and the stealth aspects and skill trees and connectivity, the mind trips ect that seperate these games and have me excited for watchdogs.
Agreed. I loved GTA 4 despite its flaws and I loved GTA 5 but Watch Dogs has a different niche than that and I can appreciate that.
Although the attention to detail in GTA 4 was insane at the time. Still is.

SZips

That is incredibly disappointing to see. Rockstar may not have the most beautiful visuals but they more than make up for that with crazy attention to little details like that. Though it seems the car damage modeling in Watch Dogs is closer to what it was in GTAV. I loved how the cars got nicely dinged up in IV from any collision, but for some reason Rockstar made them far more sturdy in V.

Grief.exe

So Watch Dogs is not using a real time reflection, but a baked in one?

Ladies and gentlemen, the next generation is here.

Top Bottom