• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Russian compares Watch_Dogs Max Settings vs GTA IV Max Settings

ssjali

This video really makes me excited for Rockstars first PS4/XBONE open world game.

Even though Watch Dogs doesn't deliver in some points shown in this video, I really hope that I wll have more fun with the game than I did with GTA IV.

It's really weird to see how Rockstar knows better how to put detail on their games.

On the side note, GTAV is "worse" than GTAIV in certain aspects: Car deformation, indestructibles tires, less pronounced car explosion, inferior rain effects etc.

Don`t really know how this happens, but...

Anyhow, Ubisoft is still learning how to do a proper real-world simulation... Let's see in the next years.

512MB

Kayant

Damn Rockstar really are amazing at what they do. It's crazy how much had to be toned down to run on so many platforms for watchdogs. It really was revealed way too early.

GTAIV definitely looks better, and clearly they put more effort into certain aspects of the game, but I defy Watch Dogs to have a worse story, worse controls and worse gunplay. Graphics aren't everything.

nib95

Banned
Well, that's a bit embarrassing for Ubi. With the delay and all as well. Attention to detail just doesn't appear to be as prominent.

BigDug13

Rockstar's sheer attention to detail has always been impressive. Individually these aspects may not seem like much, but as a whole they add up to making the world feel a lot more physically reactive than it otherwise would.

Yeah honestly this could be a "talk shit on Ubisoft" thread, but to me it's a showcase of why Rockstar is at the top when it comes to open world game creation. And honestly this showcase of what hundreds of people and hundreds of millions of dollars at Ubisoft can create and is bested by Rockstars 6 year old effort, it really shines a new light on Rockstar and GTA IV for me. I think the boringness of being back in Liberty City after having the amazing world of San Andreas tainted my ability to really immerse myself in the GTA world in IV. I enjoyed V a LOT more based on its varied environments.

It also makes me appreciate the first person view mods for GTA as well. Not because I want to play the game from a first person view, but because I want to have the OPTION of viewing the world as closely as possible by being in the viewpoint of my character's eyes. Lots of jokes are missed by the pulled out third person view. Magazine cover names, beer names at the bar, etc. The level of detail screams for a first person view option. They already have that non-playable cinematic camera angle, why not add an equally non-playable FPS view just for the immersion factor?

fedexpeon

Banned
Sleeping dogs looks better than both and probably runs better than both.

At first I was about to "wut?" then I saw the video of WD/GTA/SD to refresh my memory.
You are right, SD probably does look and run better.
And of course, SD overall gameplay is simply better due to better animation, melee combat, and sadly, even gunplay. Pretty good for a "clone".

So...Where is that SD2 rumor yo? =(

BigDug13

At first I was about to "wut?" then I saw the video of WD/GTA/SD to refresh my memory.
You are right, SD probably does look and run better.
And of course, SD overall gameplay is simply better due to better animation, melee combat, and sadly, even gunplay. Pretty good for a "clone".

So...Where is that SD2 rumor yo? =(

I'm really sad that SD didn't get more love as far as sales. It deserved better. Fantastic game, great graphics, wonderful setting and immersion factor.

Grief.exe

The bugdet for watch dogs compared to GTA 4 is also something to consider.

GTA 4: 100,000,000

Watch Dogs: 68,000,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

You would think 5 years of technological increases, new consoles to raise the lowest common denominator, and inflation would have at least covered the gap.

The one counter-argument is both of these games were released on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Not to mention the superb gameplay of Sleeping Dogs.

Yoda

If you feel my post was off topic feel free to PM a mod and ask them to delete it.

Watch_Dogs threads seem to be getting an abnormal amount of moderation all of the sudden.

On topic I think given the amount of platforms this game is being developed for + new IP + Ubisoft (they will never commit to a game as much as Rockstar) is why this game will be of lower quality than GTA.

sjay1994

Not to mention the superb gameplay of Sleeping Dogs.

I loathed the gameplay of sleeping dogs. Quit the game after the wedding scene because I just hated playing it. The gunplay sucked, the melee combat felt off, the driving.... jesus. I still cringe whenever I think about those racing missions. But being honest, I have never enjoyed most "city" open world games.

GTA 4 and 5 were the only times I ever though a game wasted my time. Only bought 5 because I adored RDR and though R* learned from it.

Only city open world game I enjoyed was Saints Row 3. Maybe the infamous games, but I wouldn't consider them in the same space as the other games.

AkIRA_22

It's really weird to see how Rockstar knows better how to put detail on their games.

On the side note, GTAV is "worse" than GTAIV in certain aspects: Car deformation, indestructibles tires, less pronounced car explosion, inferior rain effects etc.

Don`t really know how this happens, but...

Anyhow, Ubisoft is still learning how to do a proper real-world simulation... Let's see in the next years.

GTAV seemed to be going much much more at once. that would have been at the expense of certain effects.

I love Sleeping Dogs and it looks and runs great, but Watch Dogs looks better, plays better and at least for the four hours I've played has more interesting story beats. That said, Sleeping Dogs didn't have hundreds of people working on it.

You would think 5 years of technological increases, new consoles to raise the lowest common denominator, and inflation would have at least covered the gap.

The one counter-argument is both of these games were released on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Tech advancement doesn't really mean much here aside from the lighting which is just strange. Until we get some industry wide open world simulation middleware, and every game can start with the same base amount of detail, it's all about priorities. Rockstar placed a huge value on things like damage modeling and physics (the latter to the determent of character fluidity), while Ubi had to focus on getting their hacks and interaction points to work correctly in conjunction with the rest of the game. Seems like a good trade off considering they're releasing on 5 platforms and it's the first title in the franchise. Details like what's in the video can come later when the franchise is proven and money can be thrown at it with reckless abandon.

BigDug13

I love Sleeping Dogs and it looks and runs great, but Watch Dogs looks better, plays better and at least for the four hours I've played has more interesting story beats. That said, Sleeping Dogs didn't have hundreds of people working on it.

Are you saying the PC version of Watch Dogs looks better than the PC version of Sleeping Dogs? Or are you comparing a game that was only available on last gen consoles with a game that has been released on current gen consoles?

A lot of people here (myself included) tend to forget how extreme Rockstar is when it comes to attention of detail in their GTA games.

You can look at a game and say "Oh the lighting is much better than in GTA(4)" or "The characters have way more polygons, looks better than GTA"...but if you look closely again every other open world game doesn't do half the stuff that GTA is doing when it comes to details, i hope we see the same with the next GTA game.

Hmm with that bonus vid, the uploader complains that the car doesnt start up realistically in Watch Dogs but complains that one bullet in someone's chest kills them realistically.

But the water not moving when shooting it is very disappointing, that's my favourite thing to do in any game.

Dio

Banned
Hmm with that bonus vid, the uploader complains that the car doesnt start up realistically in Watch Dogs but complains that one bullet in someone's chest kills them realistically.

But the water not moving when shooting it is very disappointing, that's my favourite thing to do in any game.

If you watched the video, you'd notice that the pedestrian gets shot in the shoulder, which is not something that instantly kills people. He also reacts by covering up the side that just got shot instinctively. That's far more realistic to me.

Are you saying the PC version of Watch Dogs looks better than the PC version of Sleeping Dogs? Or are you comparing a game that was only available on last gen consoles with a game that has been released on current gen consoles?

I'm saying the PC version of Watch Dogs looks better than the PC version of Sleeping Dogs. You do have a reasonable point though; it seems unfair to (at least visually) compare a last gen game to a current gen game with last gen versions.

Well the water in Watch Dogs is better at least...

It was always amusing how crashing a car into water in GTAIV was like throwing a stone into a pool of syrup.

BigDug13

Wow that's really interesting and a little disappointing as well.

I don't see it as disappointing as much as I see it as a reflection of just how brilliant and underrated Rockstar's open world design is and how meticulously detailed their worlds are. Ubisoft's less experienced and smaller open world team wasn't able to produce the details that Rockstar produced with GTAIV. Is that really all that surprising when you consider how many years Rockstar has had to perfect their craft in this specific genre?

This is their bread and butter. They SHOULD be the far superior open world development studio.

I don't see it as disappointing as much as I see it as a reflection of just how brilliant and underrated Rockstar's open world design is and how meticulously detailed their worlds are. Ubisoft's less experienced and smaller open world team wasn't able to produce the details that Rockstar produced with GTAIV. Is that really all that surprising when you consider how many years Rockstar has had to perfect their craft in this specific genre?

This is their bread and butter. They SHOULD be the far superior open world development studio.
Ubisoft's been making open worlds since assassin's creed.

Gaz_RB

This video is not really an indicator of WD's graphics.

It just shows that Rockstar is GOAT at details. That's why they will forever be the kings of the open world game.

Top Bottom