• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Russian compares Watch_Dogs Max Settings vs GTA IV Max Settings

I don't see it as disappointing as much as I see it as a reflection of just how brilliant and underrated Rockstar's open world design is and how meticulously detailed their worlds are. Ubisoft's less experienced and smaller open world team wasn't able to produce the details that Rockstar produced with GTAIV. Is that really all that surprising when you consider how many years Rockstar has had to perfect their craft in this specific genre?

This is their bread and butter. They SHOULD be the far superior open world development studio.
Erm... Ubisoft have released A LOT more open world games than Rockstar have. If your point is right then Ubi should annihilate Rockstar when it comes to open world building.

What about things that matter like number of npc;s, number of buildings you can enter.

Well, there's the way that they continually claim that the game takes place in "Chicago", but they can't even get the shape of the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower right. Heck, they don't even call it that in the game, which is odd given how iconic the building is to Chicago.

collige

Banned
Well of course it does, modders go above and beyond the developers and have far, far more time spent on just textures/tweaking. I'm not saying that is an excuse, but just remember there are other things outside of texturing that a game requires. We may also see PC modding for Watch Dogs, who knows.

That's not a texture mod.

Sojgat

LOL at the last comparison with the fire hydrants.

Watch Dogs launching 6 months ago would have been something to see alright.

Stoof

I've never known a game where every little thing I see of it makes me want it less and less. The hype of the reveal trailer seems so long ago.

Sini

So Watch Dogs is not using a real time reflection, but a baked in one?

Ladies and gentlemen, the next generation is here.
Both games use cubemaps for general reflections. WD uses SSR for water, dunno what's GTA IV's solution for water reflections.
Also WD Nvidia video showcased screen space reflections for wet surfaces, but that's actually not included at this moment.

KOHIPEET

Watching the first video just reinforces my suspicion that this game running lower res on next-gen consoles has little to do with hardware being weak and more to do with Ubisoft's greed. They simply wanted too much by wanting to release on almost every possible platform. This game is just a fluster cluck from a technological standpoint.

He who grasps much, retains but little.

I'm probably going to get it used when it's dirt cheap.

dhonk

Interesting video, I was expecting a simple comparison of similar ish looking environments. But instead I got really really minute details. Pretty cool actually. GTAIV was fucking nuts with details.

Dysun

The vehicles in Watch Dogs have always looked bad, no surprise to see them come up in this video extensively

Watching the first video just reinforces my suspicion that this game running lower res on next-gen consoles has little to do with hardware being weak and more to do with Ubisoft's greed. They simply wanted too much by wanting to release on almost every possible platform. This game is just a fluster cluck from a technological standpoint.

He who grasps much, retains but little.

I'm probably going to get it used when it's dirt cheap.

http://a.pomf.se/pnrphs.webm

Despite the 2012 reveal and whatever compromises were made to get it running on last gen systems, the game still looks rather good.

You know what I mean. A publisher decides the fate of a franchise within the first 3 months of sales at $60. Not when the game is $5 during the most recent Steam sale.

Wasn't Sleeping Dogs 2 confirmed though, due to it's long lasting sales? I could've sworn it was confirmed.

BigDug13

Erm... Ubisoft have released A LOT more open world games than Rockstar have. If your point is right then Ubi should annihilate Rockstar when it comes to open world building.

They have? Isn't ACIV their first truly open world AC game? What other franchises have they developed that are truly open world when the first truly open world AC game didn't happen until IV? Far Cry III and........

Rockstar has been releasing open world games since GTA began, and doing it in a 3D polygon world since early PS2 days. Please map out Ubisoft's pedigree in this genre.

They have? Isn't ACIV their first truly open world AC game? What other franchises have they developed that are truly open world when the first truly open world AC game didn't happen until IV? Far Cry III and........

Rockstar has been releasing open world games since GTA began, and doing it in a 3D polygon world since early PS2 days. Please map out Ubisoft's pedigree in this genre.
I'd like you to explain How AC4 is their first open world game.

BigDug13

I'd like you to explain How AC4 is their first open world game.

In the AC franchise? Can you walk from one end of the world map to the other in AC 1-3?

I didn't say AC IV was "their first open world game", I just said it was the first in THAT SERIES. Please read again.

I'm still waiting on an explanation as to how Ubisoft is tremendously more experienced in open world games than Rockstar.

Wasn't Sleeping Dogs 2 confirmed though, due to it's long lasting sales? I could've sworn it was confirmed.

Forgive me if I'm late to the party but isn't the Sleeping Dogs 2 game actually a title whose current codename is Triad Wars and it is hinted at being not a sequel but a multiplayer game in the same universe?

dex3108

Car lights not casting shadows was first thing i noticed when i watched gameplay videos. I am sure that there is option in engine that says "cast shadows" for lights and they can enable it without too many problems. Reflections are other story, they are more demanding and i am ok with their decision to not include real-time reflections. It is annoying but acceptable.

Demon Ice

Banned
Yikes is that really what WD looks like maxed out on PC? Looks terrible

Edit: Although some of the stuff the Russian guy is claiming WD lacks it clearly doesn't...there are physics waves in the water and car body deformation...

KaiserBecks

And the controls will still be worse than buttery cow dung

The controls in RDR and V were fine. V didn't match MP3, but I guess that's more to do with performance and should be better on PC (if there's going to be a port...). That said, the controls in "Watch_Dogs" aren't perfect either. They feel very similar to "Splinter Cell: Conviction", and the shooting isn't nearly as fun because the game doesn't use Euphoria.

dex3108

Rockstar developed GTA IV. Ubisoft developed Watch_Dogs. They were both featured and compared in the original post's video.

I have quoted his post before he edited it. I was referring to second sentence that was posted before he added first one.

plainr_

I have quoted his post before he edited it. I was referring to second sentence that was posted before he added first one.

Chill. I accidentally deleted my initial comment before I submitted. I quoted someone but decided not to include it in my post.

I don't see why the uploader's nationality is important for the title but whatever.

Anyways, I'm someone who like GTA IV anyway and this made me appreciate the game ever more.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Why was the game's engine scaled back on PC as well? It doesn't make sense why the PC version couldn't have matched the reveal trailer.

doofy102

GTAIV... is still one of my favourite games of all time. (I do have a TV that washes it out just the right way) Not surprised at the results of this video although I expected better of Watch Dogs.

Reason I like GTAIV: Look it IS boring if you play it from the "I'm going on an epic scale rampage" frame of mind, I prefer to role play as a street thug who just does occasional stabbings etc. It's just deeply immersive/personal for me, sort of like how the Wire's Baltimore is immersive in a dullish painful way.

I never played a GTA game since GTA2 but I now have newfound respect for GTA4 (and via that 5), I may indeed go back and play GTA4..

Top Bottom