• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murdered: Soul Suspects |OT| That niche cinematic ghost game no one's talking about

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the latest release trailer (the long ass 5 minute one) looked amazing in my opinion, I could totally go for something different

Gryph

I'll be picking it up. People keep talking about Ghost Trick when talking about this game and that intrigues me.

Cute ghosts doing ghost things...

Timeaisis

What happened to the hype for this game? It looked cool on reveal but I've heard nothing new about it for ages.

This is why I want demos to come back! The last demo that made me go out and buy the game was Batman: AA. I played it and was like "WTF!" Awesome. I went out and got it that day. I have no clue about this game. So it looks like some research on TWITCH is best, I guess.

Got to wait for EU release date, so will wait for impressions from NA players before deciding. I'm still not sure what to think of this one though. It has some nice ideas, but nothing so far has stood out to me to say that it's going to be a good game.

Quentyn

I think even Lost Planet 3 and Remember Me had more hype.

Sorta interested in the game. Looking forward to impressions and reviews.

DukeBobby

I'm glad someone made an OT.

Got my key from GMG, and I look forward to playing it tomorrow. Gonna have to VPN it though, because it doesn't come out until Friday in the UK.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've been looking forward to playing this one - looks good.

Ooccoo

And of course no reviews for it. Reviews are especially important for this type of game, not Halo XYZ or Call of Duty: Electric Bungaloo. I fucking hate game "journalists" that don't even bother about lesser known titles.

Nice to see there's at least some interest in this game. I think it looks really interesting, and might even turn out to be a great game if given a chance.

A bigger media campaign definitely would have benefited the game though. I don't understand why there has been so little coverage. It is a brand new Square Enix IP after all. Will definitely pick it up once finals are over.

Good job on the OT!

FluxWaveZ

Glad someone posted an OT. I've been interested in this since its release and, as soon as I'm done with Watch Dogs, I'll get it.

Anything like Ghost Trick is worth a shot.

(You got the title of the game wrong, though)

Thanks for posting the OT, was worried the game would end up being ignored by the majority.

There's some videos up on Smartglass if anyone's thinking of getting the X1 version, looks surprisingly decent. I assume it's 1080p, but you never know...

Gaffers who played it in the other "hype" thread said it's no longer than 7 hours and the writing/dialogue is poor which kind killed a little excitement I had for it.

I'll wait for more impressions but doesn't seem like anything I'd drop full price for...

Jb

I love how journos keep complaining about sequels but love to mock games like these because they're most likely to bomb.
I hope it's good, detective games have such a difficult balance to strike between leaving enough room for the player to think and narrative pacing; Ghost Trick managed it, LA Noire did not.

atomsk

Party Pooper
was hoping to play this week, but once again Gamefly fails to send me a PS4 game.

and yes I'm using the queue trick.

oh well, I'll get it eventually.

soultron

Banned
Didn't even know it was coming out this week. I want to get it, but between DS2, WD, and Wolf, I need to finish one of those first. Pretty close to the end of Wolfenstein, so I'll probably motor through that to make time for this. Looking forward to Murdered ever since I saw that 5-minute (spoiler-loaded) trailer that went up a few weeks ago.

EDIT: Holy shit it's out tomorrow.

Lemstar

I'll wait for more impressions but doesn't seem like anything I'd drop full price for...
If you're in the US, you don't have to. Best Buy is bundling a $10 gift card with the game this week, which works in conjunction with the 20% discount from Gamers Club Unlocked (I can help people order copies with the discount, if need be).

Human_me

I played this game at Rezzed and came back hyped for the game.

However it does seem it may get a bit repetitive after a while.

I'm expecting 7-8 reviews

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

eXistor

I'm pretty excited for it actually. I love new IP's that look interesting and I'm willing to forgive quite a few things if you're showing me the things I want to see. I'm bringing back that boring-ass Watch_Dogs (seriously the most bland gaming experience in a long time) and getting this.

Here's my impressions from playing it for an hour yesterday's at a friend's (will have full impressions a bit later as now have it pre-ordered and all that):

The game is is a cinematic-styled game like Heavy Rain or Walking Dead, but with more game elements. Least from what I've played.The gamier elements come from exploring the environments and solving puzzles, and stealth elements to avoid ghosts and demons that are hunting you.

The story starts off with our main guy dying from the beginning from a murderer known as the, 'Bell Killer'. The first few moments of the game are mostly cinematic flair, introducing us to our character through a series of 'life flashing before his eyes' scenario, and soon discovering that he is, in fact, dead.

The story has three main elements from what I can tell so far. First, in the 'normal' world there is a murderer on the loose that the old police agency we worked for are hunting down. We follow them as they try to solve the case, and of course have a personal stake here as the guy they're hunting kind of killed us. However, we exist in a plane known as the 'Dusk World', which is where people who have lingering things they need to accomplish come upon their deaths. There are other ghosts around, coming from recent times to the early 1700s, and various relics of the past exist in this realm as well. Also in this realm are ghosts who have taken to consuming other ghosts to gain power in this realm, known as demons. There seems to be something going on in the world of Dusk... And finally, our main man has discovered that death may not be all that bad. His wife passed away, and her death crushed him. However, if he can move on to the world beyond and leave the world of Dusk, he'll be reunited with her again, if he can cross the bridge to the other side... But to do this, as stated, he needs to figure out and solve what he still has to do in our world that keeps him bonded here.

In gameplay, you possess other people, mess with objects, solve puzzles, avoid demons (who randomly stalk around the levels), and that sort of thing. You have both detective and ghostly powers to utilize, and it all feels kind of like one of those 'cinematic' games, just with a bit more fleshing out here. How it all plays out is to be seen.

The game reminded me a good deal of the film, The Frighteners, from the bit I've played.

I expect those who like the sort of 'cinematic gaming', or detective work-game style to be fun. How good it pulls it off was kind of hard to judge early on, but I was interested. A slow-paced game that I don't think will be for everyone at the very least, though.

Such a classic.Good to know! Will be picking mine up tomorrow.

HoodWinked

you can nitpick any game down to a 7. game review sites tend to align themselves with marketing hype so high 6s is likely.

Harlequin

I'm really excited for this. I love non-point-and-click detective and adventure games and this one looks pretty cool. A shame the studio was dead before the game could even be released.

Dusk Golem

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. At the very least the premise is interesting. It's going to be hard to put down Watch Doges when my copy gets in but for the sake of science I'll do my best.

Top Bottom