• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Killing the PSP across the board.(Not just Japan Anymore)

A sad day for everyone.
http://news.yahoo.com/sony-stop-selling-playstation-portable-073959937.html

TOKYO (AP) — Sony Corp. is pulling the plug on its hand-held PlayStation Portable video game machine after 10 years.

The Japanese electronics and entertainment company has been pushing the successor machine, PlayStation Vita.

Tokyo-based Sony said Tuesday that PSP shipments ended in North America in January, will end in Japan this month and later this year in Europe.

Discounts on Vita and downloads are offered to Japanese PSP owners, but are still undecided for those overseas.

More than 76 million PSP machines were sold, as of two years ago, the last time a tally was taken. The PSP went on sale in December 2004.

Machines devoted to games are struggling against the popularity of smartphones and other devices. Sony reported a $1.3 billion loss for last fiscal year and is expecting to stay in the red this year.

Some analysts say the Vita has not sold in significant numbers. Sony does not release the cumulative global unit sales of the Vita and combines it with PSP tallies.

Sony's handheld game machine also faced stiff competition from Japanese rival Nintendo Co.'s 3DS. But Nintendo has also struggled to keep momentum going for its game machines.

*link if old*

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If it weren't for the PSP sales, the PS3 terrible sales would have killed SCEI. Thanks PSP.

AniHawk

it really had a fantastic run, all things considered. 80m+ units sold and over 325m units of software sold too.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oh fuck me, time to buy a spare PSP now before the prices turn all goddamned stupid like what happened with the PS2.

I hope the PS Vita gets more love at a lower price at some point. It could continue like the PSP did if it were really affordable.

Celine

Wonder if Sony will release the official final tally for PSP.
Would be a shame if they don't.

Same for Vita.
We all know Vita didn't sell as expected, Sony shouldn't be embarassed anymore.

Salsa

never played my 2000 THAT much. Still have it, beat a few games on it but the DS really just won all of my time at that period

shit hardware, too, at least in my experience. Buttons got all mushy fast and dust gets under the screen like crazy.

some great games in there tho for sure, and the homebrew scene was fantastic

portable Gitaroo Man is a dream

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Oh fuck me, time to buy a spare PSP now before the prices turn all goddamned stupid like what happened with the PS2.

2L8 (well, they're like the same price used now)

q1iXhRk.jpg

At least PS2 titles are cheap though. PSP still たけえぇぇぇぇ

n9j8EEq.jpg

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
2L8 (well, they're like the same price used now)

q1iXhRk.jpg

At least PS2 titles are cheap though. PSP still たけえぇぇぇぇ

n9j8EEq.jpg

haha i didnt want to get a used one due to the mechanical parts with the system so am unsure how folks used it and such.
Really wanted a 2nd MH model but its going for 400 currently on the market so fuck that. That was the BEST psp model out of them all with the coating it had and the concave analog nub.
Grabbed a newer model for 13000 so should be good to go as still have my other 2 models also.

At least this will light a fire under the collective asses of devs who have not put their games up on PSN in digital format to do so if they still want to keep making money.

And why is the Vita struggling?

Shrinking handheld market so no room for two succesful machines, no exclusive Monster Hunter (and neither of its clones - Toukiden, SS, etc - succeded into being a big hit).

The PSV is a great hardware - probably the greatest game handheld ever - waiting for its software apotheosis, its Tetris/Pokemon/MonHun moment.

So will Sony remove PSP games from PS Store? That's the big question here as many people are buying digital games now. Microsoft just shut down everything related to original Xbox so they don't have a great track record.

How successful was the PSP? And why is the Vita struggling?
Pretty successful. Vita is dead, because the interest worldwide is moving to smartphones. Even Nintendo is kinda struggling compared to their previous device, but at least they have enough IPs to still move a lot of units. Additionally Vita has a terrible memory card situation and never saw much support from Sony in terms of games. Their studios most of the time can decide themselves what to work on and not many wanted to work on Vita. Sony is weird like that sometimes. So it never saw much support and now of course it is seeing even less. It's also missing certain exclusives such as GTA Vice City Stories that are likely just too expensive nowadays.

That said, Vita has created a small niche where indie games can be quite successful. The fanbase is dedicated, sales in Japan are kind of ok, remote play is well received and the device itself seems pretty great in terms of hardware and handling. Many use it as their portable device of choice for various tasks.

Sad to see such an underrated system go but I hear Sony nailed it when it comes to BC on the Vita so at least we've got that.

That said is there a list of UMD exclusive games anywhere? Wondering if I should get a spare for when mine bites the dust, might be a good excuse to try out the PSP go.

While we're at it is there anything else a PSP can do that a Vita can't?

So will Sony remove PSP games from PS Store? That's the big question here as many people are buying digital games now. Microsoft just shut down everything related to original Xbox so they don't have a great track record.

I'm pretty sure the Vita can play digital PSP games so I see no reason for them to be taken off the PS store.

Hellraider

RIP PSP. A damn fine handheld console.
It's a shame so many of its titles won't be available anywhere after its death.

Maybe it's time for me to find a cheap 3000 model before it gets difficult. My old 1k is a piece of bulky shit with a horrible dpad.

Pain

Banned
About damn time! Now double down on the Vita. Price Drop + Redesign + Vita TV release in the US.

Top Bottom