• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Killing the PSP across the board.(Not just Japan Anymore)

So will Sony remove PSP games from PS Store? That's the big question here as many people are buying digital games now. Microsoft just shut down everything related to original Xbox so they don't have a great track record.

No, that makes no sense. There's still PS1 and PS2 games on the store, and considering Vita can play PSP games there's no reason to think they'd be removed from the PS Store.

Seems about right. 10 year lifespan. Vita is definitely not going to last as long though, despite Sony's track record at manufacturing systems way past their relevance.

Oersted

Was a fun time.

Though, I always had the feeling that Vita being dead was not only due to smartphones taking over. PSP was always Sony's second class device, not really a reason for confidence in the successor.

Dambrosi

Banned
this thread title is inaccurate.
So's the story itself:
A sad day for everyone.
http://news.yahoo.com/sony-stop-sell...073959937.html

The Japanese electronics and entertainment company has been pushing the successor machine, PlayStation Vita.
1353979415510.jpg

On topic, sad news, but PSP had a very good innings. Don't mourn for it too hard.

Chromax

Great run. I still remember I was so excited when I bought it with Darkstalkers and Twisted Metal. Then got addicted to Luminus was so looking forward to Jean D Arc. RIP PSP ;_;

Camwi

Meh, my PSP never got much play time, so whatever. It's a shame the Vita isn't getting the sales that the PSP had, since it's a much more deserving system.

Ashadur

Neo Member
This bad boy will always be remembered as the system to introduce online multiplayer to me. Without this system i would've never have touched FPS (Medal of Honor: Heroes), never would've completed as many games as i did on this system, never would've of ventured over to other genres. Will always love my PSP.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
R.I.P sweet prince.

Amazing effort for a first-time portable gaming device. Games like Crisis Core and Peace Walker made this device.

Celine

How successful was the PSP? And why is the Vita struggling?
Very successful although it was widely outsold by DS everywhere and kind of lost relevance outside Japan since 2009/2010.
Vita is struggling because dedicated gaming handheld are under siege by smartphones, 3DS stole most of the remaining lunch and Vita never got the benefit of the doubt from third-parties as it was the case for PSP simply because Vita's predecessor proved Sony couldn't take the market from Nintendo as they did years before for home console.
Vita slow sales is what you would get on every Sony platform if the only big software supporter was Sony itself (and not third-parties).

Acosta

My PSP Go will live forever (I should buy a replacement, just in case).

I still remember my original PSP coming from Japan with Ridge Racer. For some months until it arrived to EU I was the coolest guy in the public transport, people looked amazed at it.

krYlon

Greatest all-round handheld ever. In terms of an incredibly diverse software library, with loads of niche stuff, emulation (including official PS1 games), homebrew, good media support, xmb (still the king), slim and go were small and light and portable, umds were dirt cheap (and cheap to make games for, allowing for niche titles), most games became downloadable, good online, even had a comic store at one point, allowed for switching accounts, good integration with ps3 etc etc etc

this thread title is inaccurate.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/3/5775076/psp-stops-shipping-in-japan

sony told me that NA shipments stopped in january and europe will stop at some point, but production will continue and there aren't yet any plans to stop selling it in latin america or asia.

just want to quote myself because everyone is still saying RIP. you'll still be able to go to brazil or hong kong and pick one up for the foreseeable future!

but really, i get how death in japan is more or less death worldwide.

BibiMaghoo

Was, is, an awesome little gaming device. But dem pirates...

First portable I bought day 1. Most likely the last too. Although the Vita is better in every way, PSP has a charm of it's own lost on newer devices.

Mr. Desu

Still gonna play it until Vita gets a nice little Phantasy Star title that isn't PSO2.

Well.. NA PSO2 would be nice...

Roxas

Fare the well PSP. I will forever have memories of picking up a copy of wipeout pure on launch day and playing it nonstop until the next morning. Amazing game, amazing machine

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Sony cant hide the vita sales in their financial reports by bundling it with psp sales anymore now i guess

SMH at all these reasons the Vita is not doing well. The handheld market is shrinking, no doubt, but it is straight disingenuous to even imply that can explain the Vita. That's like blaming WiiU sales on the shrinking console market.

On topic, 10 years is a good run. Never owned one, but I currently own more PSP games on my Vita than Vita games. And one of the Vita games is a PSP port.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I live in Europe so it shouldn't be a problem. I can still easily buy a new ps2 for 50$.

You lucky bastard. :D Over here was way too expensive so gave up on that and just got myself an used OG PS3. Which actually scored big time on considering its almost new condition and had a 120 GB HD installed in it.

Alpende

I still have the first PSP. Still remember buying the thing with my own earned money at a local store. Also bougt a Go but didn't use that one all that much.

Moofers

Well I guess that leaves me wondering when PSP games will come down from PSN. Better hurry up and buy the ones we want before they're gone.

SURGEdude

Didn't much use my PSP. The games didn't grab me. But I have respect for it being the powerhouse it was. And it paved the way for my second favorite gaming machine- Vita.

Well I guess that leaves me wondering when PSP games will come down from PSN. Better hurry up and buy the ones we want before they're gone.

They're playable on Vita, so I can't imagine that they'll take them down just because. Then again, I don't know how well they're selling.

Edit: Yeah it's time to buy a couple spares.

Top Bottom