• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Sure, but I put that part list together for a bare bones, but highly upgradable and usable GAMING PC. Definitely a HDD over SSD if you're doing a lot more with it.

But, SSDs are cheap. $100 for 240GB these days, and that's plenty.

*edit*

Quitting your job!?

Have something else you're moving to?

Tabasco

I feel like my mouse is crapping out on me. No matter what USB port I plug it in to, it always tends to disconnect and reconnect immediately and it always makes that disconnecting Windows noise.

It's an MX518 that I've had for years. It may be time to buy a new mouse.

I feel like my mouse is crapping out on me. No matter what USB port I plug it in to, it always tends to disconnect and reconnect immediately and it always makes that disconnecting Windows noise.

It's an MX518 that I've had for years. It may be time to buy a new mouse.

Probably the cable. It gets worn down after years of wiggling, the wires inside the cable snap. You can buy a cable on ebay for 2bux and replace it yourself.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
A friend of mine needs to buy a new laptop, but I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to specs, reliability and the like, so I beg of you NeoGAF, aid her in her quest!

Here's what she needs:
- €600-800 (Europe here)
- 17" screen (matte is better)
- Plays a few games. Anything that can run Civilization and Supreme Commander is good enough.
- Mostly she'll need it for browsing the web, watching videos and using MS Office.
- Something reliable/durable, so I'm assuming a good SSD and a reliable brand would be nice

What would you recommend?

mkenyon

Banned
A friend of mine needs to buy a new laptop, but I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to specs, reliability and the like, so I beg of you NeoGAF, aid her in her quest!

Here's what she needs:
- €600-800 (Europe here)
- 17" screen (matte is better)
- Plays a few games. Anything that can run Civilization and Supreme Commander is good enough.
- Mostly she'll need it for browsing the web, watching videos and using MS Office.
- Something reliable/durable, so I'm assuming a good SSD and a reliable brand would be nice

What would you recommend?
Checking out this thread. Lots of folks in here are pretty clueless (myself included) when it comes to laptops.

appaws

Banned
Knowing Nvidia they'll price it at $600. When do we ever get the good side of pricing from them?

Because people are willing to pay more for NVidia, no matter what the competition does. Nobody should complain about their pricing and then be willing to pay it if there is a competitor releasing excellent, often better, products for lower prices.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kcXdMp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kcXdMp/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: G.Skill Value 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($25.49 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card ($152.98 @ Newegg)

Case: NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $428.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-17 09:25 EDT-0400

Opinions?

I think you should read the OP and the CPU section of the system guide at techreport.com. FX CPUs are a no-go, particularly in gaming builds.

Corpsepyre

Banned
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kcXdMp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kcXdMp/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: G.Skill Value 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($25.49 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card ($152.98 @ Newegg)

Case: NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $428.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-17 09:25 EDT-0400

Opinions?

You really should go for a better GPU. That one won't cut it in 2015 when all the hard-hitters come out. Go for an R9 270X at the VERY least or a 280.

Because people are willing to pay more for NVidia, no matter what the competition does. Nobody should complain about their pricing and then be willing to pay it if there is a competitor releasing excellent, often better, products for lower prices.

I think you should read the OP and the CPU section of the system guide at techreport.com. FX CPUs are a no-go, particularly in gaming builds.

Yeah I keep hearing negative feedback, I'm new to this pc master race, so in a budget just stick to the Intel g3258? Is amd and Intel the only cpu makers? Or are those the only one that matters

You really should go for a better GPU. That one won't cut it in 2015 when all the hard-hitters come out. Go for an R9 270X at the VERY least or a 280.

So how's the performance of the r9 270x with a Intel g3258, because I'm only going to be playing games at 720p for the time being until like January

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah I keep hearing negative feedback, I'm new to this pc master race, so in a budget just stick to the Intel g3258? Is amd and Intel the only cpu makers? Or are those the only one that matters
AMD stopped trying to play the gaming processor game a long ways back. They haven't released anything that is remotely on the same level since the AM3 socket. Their FX line of chips serve as (power hungry) budget media creation CPUs, and also totally fine for general use. Their IPC (instructions per clock) is far too low however, and when frequency is increased to a decent spot to be in the same ballpark as Intel CPUs, the power consumption goes absolutely beserk. We're talking 250-350W for just the CPU.

Their focus has been more on APUs, so development has been sluggish for dedicated CPUs.

Intel is pretty much the only game in town, unless you have a specific use for where the AMD processors do well. However, gaming is not one of those things.

AMD stopped trying to play the gaming processor game a long ways back. They haven't released anything that is remotely on the same level since the AM3 socket. Their FX line of chips serve as (power hungry) budget media creation CPUs, and also totally fine for general use. Their IPC (instructions per clock) is far too low however, and when frequency is increased to a decent spot to be in the same ballpark as Intel CPUs, the power consumption goes absolutely beserk. We're talking 250-350W for just the CPU.

Their focus has been more on APUs, so development has been sluggish for dedicated CPUs.

Intel is pretty much the only game in town, unless you have a specific use for where the AMD processors do well. However, gaming is not one of those things.

OK so on a budget build, just stick to the OP and get a g3258 or try to get a i3

mkenyon

Banned
Yep.

I prefer to stick it with a Z97 board for a bit more, in order to make upgrading that system a lot easier in the future. I can see why someone wouldn't though.

Reckoner

What do you guys think of the Asus PA248Q monitor? Isn't it outdated and is it good for everything, even with the 6ms response time?

I ordered a VG248QE, but after trying I'm worried about these washed out colors and how they may affect my work.

Yep.

I prefer to stick it with a Z97 board for a bit more, in order to make upgrading that system a lot easier in the future. I can see why someone wouldn't though.

Also I don't mind not being able to play games on ultra, at least not right now, I just want to be able to play games at at least 40fps and have them steam sales, so what graphics card would you recommend, go for the r9 265 or a GeForce GTX 750 ti

Just bought all the parts for my new system, they should be arriving tomorrow. I'm looking at the following:

CPU: Intel 5820k
Motherboard: MSI X99 SLI Plus
Memory: Corsair DDR4 2133 4x4GB
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 4TB Hybrid HDD
Video Card: Waiting on 2x Nvidia 980 GTX
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Z
Case: NZXT H440
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W (carried over from old build, 2 years old)
Monitors: 2x 27" IPS

Hopefully I can get 3-4 years out of this build, I'm banking on it to carry me through getting my bachelor's.

Corpsepyre

Banned
So how's the performance of the r9 270x with a Intel g3258, because I'm only going to be playing games at 720p for the time being until like January

I have a Gigabyte AMD R9 270x paired up with a Haswell Core i3 4130 processor, and I'm doing good. Crysis 3 gave me problems, but I switched a few settings down and things were better. I don't know much about the processor you're talking about, but the Core i3 I'm using is sweet. Get this combo and you'll be good at 1080p. Just don't go below an R9 270x though.

mkenyon

Banned
I have a Gigabyte AMD R9 270x paired up with a Haswell Core i3 4130 processor, and I'm doing good. Crysis 3 gave me problems, but I switched a few settings down and things were better. I don't know much about the processor you're talking about, but the Core i3 I'm using is sweet. Get this combo and you'll be good at 1080p. Just don't go below an R9 270x though.
The benefit of the Pentium Anniversary Edition is that it can be overclocked to achieve amazing performance. Another part of the reason why I suggest pairing it with the Z97 board.

c3-fps.gif

Just bought all the parts for my new system, they should be arriving tomorrow. I'm looking at the following:

Hopefully I can get 3-4 years out of this build, I'm banking on it to carry me through getting my bachelor's.
Helluva system. I'm sure that'll be fine for a long while.

appaws

Banned
Also I don't mind not being able to play games on ultra, at least not right now, I just want to be able to play games at at least 40fps and have them steam sales, so what graphics card would you recommend, go for the r9 265 or a GeForce GTX 750 ti

The R7 265 is a better choice than the 750ti. The technology of the 750ti is pretty cool, so you will hear people rave about it at times....but that is because of power savings and not gaming performance.

In the lower range of PC builds, always look to the GPU and maximize that as much as possible. If you can save a little longer and move up a notch or two in that department, it makes a difference. This R9 270 is $149.99 after $20 rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125491

For another 30 bucks, 179.99 after a rebate, you can get into a 270X:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202050

What is your total max budget, then we can suggest a build for you....? Could you pull off something like this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vLxNsY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vLxNsY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.65 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $621.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-17 20:17 EDT-0400

garath

That'll be a killer system. I'll be shocked if it doesnt give you a solid 4 years. To put it in perspective, I generally buy a midrange GPU every other generation and a CPU every 4 years or so and I'm usually running high on 1080p. Your system is top end. It'll rock for awhile.

Shadow780

How much is this?!

Can I be your brother?!

How much is this?!

Can I be your brother?!

Haha, sorry but I have kids that already take up my TV and PS4 so much that I never get to use them. I'm not sharing my PC. :p

Edit: Is it weird that my reason for becoming a mostly PC gamer is because it's the only device I can guarantee no one else will use?

garath

Haha, sorry but I have kids that already take up my TV and PS4 so much that I never get to use them. I'm not sharing my PC. :p

Edit: Is it weird that my reason for becoming a mostly PC gamer is because it's the only device I can guarantee no one else will use?

Not weird at all. Im in the same boat. My ps3 is a Netflix box for my son and that also hordes the TV. The computer is the only thing in the house that's only mine.

Edit: of course my son is obsessed with league of legends and counter strike though. He always wants to watch me play. He already wants to play himself. I see a family PC in the future. Virus that thing up. Lol

The R7 265 is a better choice than the 750ti. The technology of the 750ti is pretty cool, so you will hear people rave about it at times....but that is because of power savings and not gaming performance.

In the lower range of PC builds, always look to the GPU and maximize that as much as possible. If you can save a little longer and move up a notch or two in that department, it makes a difference. This R9 270 is $149.99 after $20 rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125491

For another 30 bucks, 179.99 after a rebate, you can get into a 270X:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202050

What is your total max budget, then we can suggest a build for you....? Could you pull off something like this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vLxNsY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vLxNsY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.65 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $621.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-17 20:17 EDT-0400

Taking out the cooler, ssd, and I can deal with only 250gb for right now but other than that thanks and I'll just go with your build

What kinda performance can I expect playing 2k15 on 720p

I figured some of the power users in here might want to know, but if anybody remembers the Windows ISO customization/component removal/install scripting/update and driver integration tool nLite from the Windows XP days. The original developer is back with a version for 7/8/8.1 - NTLite:

http://www.ntlite.com/features/

Haven't really gotten to mess with it myself but I probably will give it a run when it comes time for my annual reformat in a couple months.

Woffls

Got my H60 fan issue sorted... turns out there's two types of four pin fan headers on the X99S board, and CPU fan`1/2 simply don't run the fan, so I had to take it out (massive pain), rotate the fan, and hook it up to a sys fan header.

Everything running fine now, spent a lot of hours trying to make cables tidy, but I think it was worth it. Will get some pics up tomorrow, currently doing Windows update then going to bed.

The Define R4 is a much bigger case than I was expecting...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I blame this thread for enabling :p
My build sheets go up to $1500 TYVM.
As far as hobbies go it's pretty cheap (relatively), only big jumps are the 60FPS / 120FPS checkpoints and adaptive refresh rates (GSYNC/ATI Whatever) when they trickle down.

tarheel91

So I got some great advice from a friend about installing the radiator: turn the whole case upside down!

I had my case looking all sexy, progressing through the loop.

Except I realized that right where that fitting/tube sits is where the radiator/fan for the GPU needs to go. So my beautiful layout wasn't going to work. The new one is much less efficient sadly. Pump/res is mounted though! Pretty much everything's ready to go, but I'm waiting on my drain valve fitting. It'll go on the line that goes behind the panel from the reservoir to the radiator; that's why it's just sort of hanging there. If all goes according to plan I should be leak testing this weekend.

Parts update on my build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $50.00)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $65.00)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $110.00)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $0.00, bundled with the Z87 mobo)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $10.00)
Total: $235.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-17 22:55 EDT-0400

Been hunting on a good PSU deal for a while now.. All i'm seeing are with rebates. There are cheap ones but I don't want to risk it. My micricenter has a 1TB for $59 will get that. SSD can wait. The degrading performance issue in the SSD I was eyeing on is scaring me. As for a GPU I might take a risk and buy a used 280x for $150ish near my area. Ain't gonna worry about a case for now.
EDIT: I'm looking to buy a used GPU havingnear or greater performance than an R9 280. If you have one and want to sell it, PM me.

appaws

Banned
Taking out the cooler, ssd, and I can deal with only 250gb for right now but other than that thanks and I'll just go with your build

What kinda performance can I expect playing 2k15 on 720p

I don't really know about the specifics on any certain game....maybe there is a forum somewhere where they discuss the performance of that. Operation Sports maybe...?

Don't take out the cooler. The whole awesomeness of that chip combined with the Z97 motherboard is the ability to give it a really fast overclock. That is the secret to the anniversary Pentium's incredible value as a gaming CPU. For apps that are not heavily multi-threaded (i.e. most games) the clock speed of that Pentium is where it counts.

Read this: http://techreport.com/review/26735/overclocking-intel-pentium-g3258-anniversary-edition-processor

Anyway, that inexpensive cooler (or a different one too) should enable you to get a HUGE percentage gain in clock speed. I think stock is 3.0ghz and you can easily get over 4+.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pasterino:

FS:
ASUS R9 290 $230 shipped reference. >1yr on warranty.
Gigabyte WindForce 670 $190 shipped. 8 months on warranty

I can attest to 120GB not being enough... (Tried preloading Dead Rising 3... had to remove all the other games when it tried to unlock :p - Runs fine at 900p if anyone is wondering, tears like crazy during cutscenes though...)

Also, 2x2 = 8?!
ASRock Anniversary M is also slightly cheaper (or is it that much worse?)

Man that game is so horribly optimized. If I could give a reward for worst optimized video game on PC...Dead Rising 3 would be it. Unacceptable performance in that game on beastly rigs. I was reading some articles that said you basically have to run that game under 1080p which is a huge wtf? Disappointing because I enjoyed DR2. Guess I'll wait until it gets some patches that hopefully fix the god awful performance.

Okay update, so I might have came into some good luck and can probably up my budget to around 800-850, and that should set me up for the foreseeable future

Okay my previous post got lost, I no longer require an answer for that though, I might buy the new System(X99,I75820K).

I would just like to ask the more tech oriented folks on the following matters if someone has time to answer.

I currently have in my Cart the following DDR4:

1. Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2133MHz CT2K8G4DFD8213 <<$259(AUD)

Should I get 32GB of this ram(I will be primarily using the system for gaming) will I need more then 16GB? I also want to ask if you guys think it is worth buying the following ram instead.($210 more then the crucial one)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x 4GB) DDR4 2800MHz Memory Black CMK16GX4M4A2800C16 <<< $469!!!!

Also I opted for the Asus X99 DELUXE which is <<< $569.00 would you guys recommend another motherboard, I have these on offering:

Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 $399
MSI X99S Gaming 7 $439
Gigabyte GA-X99-GAMING-5 $439

Possible system once someone helps me for the above 2 concerns:

PC:

PC Case : Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Full Tower Case with Side Window $199.00
CPU Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K Haswell-E 6-Core LGA 2011-3 3.3GHz $449.00
Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE Intel LGA 2011-3 ATX Motherboard $569.00
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2133MHz CT8G4DFD8213 $259.00
Hard Drive(s) : Samsung 840 Pro 512GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-7PD512BW $379.00
Western Digital WD4003FZEX WD 4TB Black 3.5” 7200RPM $279.99
Power Supply:Corsair AX860 860W 80+ Platinum Modular Power Supply $288.00

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Multi-Socket PWM CPU Cooler $109.00
Optical Drives: LG 12x Internal SATA Retail Blu-Ray Combo Drive CH12NS30 $69.00

Any other suggestions is welcome, thanks guys if you guys are confused why I do not have a Video Card, its because I'll be using my SLI 4GB GTX 670's until the new Nvidia 9 series come out.

Okay my previous post got lost, I no longer require an answer for that though, I might buy the new System(X99,I75820K).

I would just like to ask the more tech oriented folks on the following matters if someone has time to answer.

I currently have in my Cart the following DDR4:

1. Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2133MHz CT2K8G4DFD8213 <<$259(AUD)

Should I get 32GB of this ram(I will be primarily using the system for gaming) will I need more then 16GB? I also want to ask if you guys think it is worth buying the following ram instead.($210 more then the crucial one)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x 4GB) DDR4 2800MHz Memory Black CMK16GX4M4A2800C16 <<< $469!!!!

Also I opted for the Asus X99 DELUXE which is <<< $569.00 would you guys recommend another motherboard, I have these on offering:

Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 $399
MSI X99S Gaming 7 $439
Gigabyte GA-X99-GAMING-5 $439

Possible system once someone helps me for the above 2 concerns:

PC:

PC Case : Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Full Tower Case with Side Window $199.00
CPU Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K Haswell-E 6-Core LGA 2011-3 3.3GHz $449.00
Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE Intel LGA 2011-3 ATX Motherboard $569.00
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2133MHz CT8G4DFD8213 $259.00
Hard Drive(s) : Samsung 840 Pro 512GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-7PD512BW $379.00
Western Digital WD4003FZEX WD 4TB Black 3.5&#8221; 7200RPM $279.99
Power Supply:Corsair AX860 860W 80+ Platinum Modular Power Supply $288.00

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Multi-Socket PWM CPU Cooler $109.00
Optical Drives: LG 12x Internal SATA Retail Blu-Ray Combo Drive CH12NS30 $69.00

Any other suggestions is welcome, thanks guys if you guys are confused why I do not have a Video Card, its because I'll be using my SLI 4GB GTX 670's until the new Nvidia 9 series come out.

As someone who just purchased a 5820k system, I'll give my input...

First of all, what's your goal for this system? Do you want the absolute best of the best?

The motherboard is way overkill for that processor, I'd upgrade the processor before spending that much on the motherboard. The Gigabyte UD4 is a good low cost option, not a lot of frills but solid. That's the one I'd choose out of your options, but I don't personally see the need to spend a ton on a motherboard. All those options should be just fine though.

As for the RAM, I purchased the 16GB Crucial kit. It should be able to OC to 2400 with no problems (as per a review of them online). Keep in mind that right now any memory speed over 2133 will lock the bclk strap to 125 with no option to lower it down to 100, thus your computer will constantly use more power. Gaming also comes nowhere close to utilizing the full system memory bandwidth, even on lower speed DDR3, so it's up to you if you want the extra bandwidth or not.

Edit: Also, 16GB is currently more than enough for gaming. The nice thing about X99 is that if you wanted to add 4 more sticks of RAM later, you can. So if you go 4x4GB now, you can still raise it to 32GB later if you feel the need.

Edit 2: You should get a 4x4GB kit instead of the 2x8GB kit if you do get 16GB of ram so you can take advantage of the quad channel memory controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom