• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma hints at Zelda for Wii U being "More Than Just a Single-Player Experience"

maxcriden

630x.jpg

The two-player functionality of Hyrule Warriors is actually something that has traditionally been done in the Dynasty Warriors series, but they’ve changed because of the hardware and the second screen on your GamePad. Instead of having a splitscreen on the television, you have one-player playing on the television and one on the GamePad. When I was talking back about making Zelda more than just a single-player experience? That’s something you will see in the future, maybe next year.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...rriors-and-zelda-overlap.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ing_more_than_just_a_single_player_experience

How does this sit with you, and what kind of multiplayer functionality might you like to see in Zelda?

There was a slide that Aonuma showed like a year or two ago in a nintendo direct where one of the pillars he wanted to shake up for Zelda that it was only a single player experience... so this is unsurprising.

I believed this has been suggested since we got our first official pieces of information about the game one or two E3s ago.

Edit: Beaten

I'm willing to bet you anything that this is going to tie into Zelda U's "Tingle Bottles" equivalent system. Maybe even Souls like invasion/co op? I'd be down for that.

maxcriden

There was a slide that Aonuma showed like a year or two ago in a nintendo direct where one of the pillars he wanted to shake up for Zelda that it was only a single player experience... so this is unsurprising.

I believed this has been suggested since we got our first official pieces of information about the game one or two E3s ago.

Edit: Beaten

All true, but this is the first we've heard in a while so I thought it was worth posting.

A second player fiddling around with the gamepad while someone else actually plays the game is really lame. If they actually waste time on that, this drops completely off of my radar.

Sendou

All true, but this is the first we've heard in a while so I thought it was worth posting.

Yeah for sure. Good to mentally connect this to what Aonuma said year and half ago though. People should definitely listen to his section (I linked it above) if they want to have additional hints of what Zelda U will be.

georly

We also didn't know if he meant for the next wii u zelda or if the 'not playing by yourself' could just be attributed to spin-offs, like Hyrule Warriors. We now have confirmation that he meant the next mainline console zelda.

We also didn't know if he meant for the next wii u zelda or if the 'not playing by yourself' could just be attributed to spin-offs, like Hyrule Warriors. We now have confirmation that he meant the next mainline console zelda.

Yeah, we knew it was about mainline Zelda, the discussion was about the Zelda series proper.

Ramenman

Tomorrow : "Aonuma was kidding about multiplayer hints, meant it as a joke".

Nah seriously, I look forward to what they can come up with. GBA mode for Wind Waker was kind of cool.

I would prefer it stay a single player experience -- Hyrule Warriors can take care of the multiplayer that some people are craving. If they had to add multiplayer to traditional Zelda games, I'd say do something minor, like Super Mario Galaxy 2 where one player can control a fairy, etc... not like Super Mario 3D World, where they have as big a part in the game as everyone else. Just my two cents!

V_Arnold

"It is also an MMORPG. With subscription fees. Oh, and now you can collect these little animal-like things called Pokémons in the game world. Have fun!"

Sakujou

Banned
That guy srsly has to stop. He is pretty much the japanese molyneux.

All talk but there is nothing coming.

I like zelda, but the games he has produced werent that good. Except majoras mask.

Courage

I like zelda, but the games he has produced werent that good. Except majoras mask.

lmao, this guy actually makes good games tho

It all falls into place now. The next Zelda game will be Zelda R, spiritual successor to Sonic R. Race against other players through an open world, of which you can choose the order of the races of.

maxcriden

I dunno, I think he's had a pretty impressive track record:

NES Open Tournament Golf (1991) - Designer
Marvelous: Another Treasure Island (1996) — Director
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998) — Designer
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000) — Director
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (2002) — Director
The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition (2003) — Producer
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (2004) — Supervisor
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (2004) — Producer
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006) — Director
Link's Crossbow Training (2007) — Producer
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (2007) — Producer
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (2009) — Producer
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011) — Producer
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (2013) — Producer
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013) — Producer
Hyrule Warriors (2014) - Supervisor
The Legend of Zelda (2015) - Producer

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm sure this game will have an asymmetrical co-op mode. One player controls Link Skyward Sword style, the other uses the GamePad to interact with the environment.

Killua

It would be sweet if they had a four swords style multiplayer mode. It could be separate from the main quest.

One plays female link and the other one male link. Also decide wich Link you want to play if you play SP (male or female). Then Nintendo gets praised for innovation and being not sexistic.

I don't know if it'll be the best Zelda but from the little and vague hints and information we know, it's shaping up to be the most interesting in a long while.

KooopaKid

Banned
If it's co-op like SMG2, it's a bit of a waste. I don't think a 3D Zelda would work that well with local co-op. It'll always be a "nice little thing". It should be more something based around exchange and Miiverse. Collecting and exchanging insects for upgrades? Burying treasures and giving cryptic clues to find them?

NewGame

Banned
I really liked working with a partner in Wind Waker to beat some of the temples. I don't see why it couldn't be done like... a Souls game summon! (Imagine the griefing!)

04i-100.jpg

It would of been quite amazing to have multiplayer but with a lot more depth and persistence than the 4 Swords games.

Prototype

Without online it just won't matter. Same for hyrule warriors. Local is great but in this day an age games need online. Local also is shit in wii u case because so few people own one.

Top Bottom