• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma hints at Zelda for Wii U being "More Than Just a Single-Player Experience"

I'm not sure how I feel about this. If it's a separate mode or something, then that would be great. But I think it runs the risk of feeling like a series other than Zelda.

There just isn't enough information here.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'm guessing this will be a feature similar to that seen in Dark Souls, rather than a full on co-op campaign.

Yep, integrated with the MiiVerse probably. Really looks like Aonuma had more than just one look at how other games do things. Which is great.

Or a friend can grab a second controller and steer Epona. :p

I'll be the Horse.

image.php

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
That guy srsly has to stop. He is pretty much the japanese molyneux.

All talk but there is nothing coming.

I like zelda, but the games he has produced werent that good. Except majoras mask.

People ask him questions, he responds, you expect him to just say "Dunno"? He's talking about his new game, coming next year, he can't magically make the game appear out of nowhere.

And that's subjective, but I'm sure most would disagree.

Axass

It's not going to be co-op or something that makes the game multiplayer only; I bet it's going to be an optional feature, something that has to do with the gamepad.

Maybe you can have a top-down view on the gamepad, with the second player interacting in some ways with the map and dungeons, studying their structure, giving you directions, setting beacons, reading information on the enemies.

I'm basically thinking about the second player becoming a human Navi, who reads the info on the gamepad and gives you tips to advance.

Frankly I'd like that a lot.

maxcriden

It's not going to be co-op or something that makes the game multiplayer only; I bet it's going to be an optional feature, something that has to do with the gamepad.

Maybe you can have a top-down view on the gamepad, with the second player interacting in some ways with the map and dungeons, studying their structure, giving you directions, setting beacons, reading information on the enemies.

I'm basically thinking about the second player becoming a human Navi, that reads the info on the gamepad and gives you tips to advance.

That sounds awesome to me. It would be interesting synergy with the great idea I've seen bandied about that the new Zelda could be 2D on the Gamepad and 3D on your TV, leading to more complex puzzles and strategies that take advantage of both perspectives (somewhat like A Link Between Worlds in that way).

I dunno. Agree to disagree I guess, but I think there are plenty of incredible games in that list, some of the best of the series. I think for the most part he's done a very impressive job shepherding the series.

For sure, there are some good games, but they haven't lived up to the quality of the first 3 Zeldas. The DS era titles especially.

Durante

Most likely: shitty asymmetrical coop where the second player isn't really doing anything.
What I'd like: full coop throughout the game.

KooopaKid

Banned

I'm basically thinking about the second player becoming a human Navi, that reads the info on the gamepad and gives you tips to advance.

While it'd be a cool feature to have, the problem is that the second role is always optional and rarely truly engaging. Direct control is always more fun. But a second player on the gamepad controlling a flying beetle shooting laser beams (Same technology as Skyward Sword) and scouting around could be quite entertaining so why not. I really hope it's more something online based though.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
They wouldn't do online 2-player zelda :/

Going through a Zelda dungeon in 2-player co-op (with puzzles and enemies that reflect that) could be pretty awesome, though. :-/

Servbot24

Banned
How does this sit with you, and what kind of multiplayer functionality might you like to see in Zelda?

Poorly and none.

This game is sounding really bad so far. The only good bit of information is the removal of tutorials. The open world could be cool in theory, but that applies to every open world game before they inevitably fall on their faces. Considering Nintendo couldn't even populate tiny overworlds like TP and SS I have no faith that they can densely populate an open world game.

One of the ideas I had was that they could do a co-op style game similar to resident evil evil 0 where you could move one character around solving puzzles with one person or the single player controlling the second character and seeing what they see via gamepad.

AnGer

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't go and do it. Before everyone freaks out – this will certainly not be an MMO or Battlefield: Hyrule. It probably won't even be co–op – although I would somehow appreciate that.

Poorly and none.

This game is sounding really bad so far. The only good bit of information is the removal of tutorials. The open world could be cool in theory, but that applies to every open world game before they inevitably fall on their faces. Considering Nintendo couldn't even populate tiny overworlds like TP and SS I have no faith that they can densely populate an open world game.

There's one thing we can do about it. Pray Xenoblade X is finished soon and hope that Monolith actively helps designing Zelda's game world.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
They already experimented with asymmetric messages in Wind Waker HD. I wouldn't be surprised to see the full Dark Souls messaging experience brought over. With the open world and Aonuma musing on approaching puzzles from many angles it might be a good fit here.

Ridley327

There's one thing we can do about it. Pray Xenoblade X is finished soon and hope that Monolith actively helps designing Zelda's game world.

You do know that the Monolith Soft that works on Zelda has nothing to do with the Monolith Soft that does their own games, right?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Holy shit that crazy Nintendo patent is coming to fruition.

You do know that the Monolith Soft that works on Zelda has nothing to do with the Monolith Soft that does their own games, right?

I didn't know this, mind explaining? I know Monolith Soft has more than one team, but they'd still work for the same studio

Going by the baby steps they took with ALBW's Dark Link bounties? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was the route they consider.

If they do that + player invasions a la Resident Evil 6 (I loved that, smart monsters!) I'll be so hyped for the game that I might die.

jlscool

I think just like Wind Waker, you will need multiple characters to solve puzzles, if you have 2 people available, it will allow each person to take control of a character, but if it is just a single player, then you have to switch between characters or something. I do not believe it will have support for more than 2 player though. He said one person on the TV and one person on the gamepad I thought.

Lernaean

Banned
Dark souls/Zombi U hints/suggestions/souls online experience would be nice imho

And that's what i expect pretty much.
There also was a hint for that in ALBW where you could be invaded with the dark Link phantom of another player. I just expect that to happen on the WiiU Zelda but with real player invasions this time.

From context, I thought it was pretty clear that I meant the Xenoblade team and not just one of the interns. I wouldn't really know if their design vision would fit Zelda, but they could pass on their knowledge of huge-scale open world games.

Kriken

I can imagine it being something similar to Mario Galaxy 2 where it can be a two player experience, but will not be essential in completing the game. That or it could be a second player helping with specific puzzles/dungeons that'd be AI in single player

Koobion

Open world coop Zelda with OoT quality or greater?

This is the stuff of dreams! Something friends would talk about while passing the control back and forth on N64 - a fantasy. Must have it.

FryHole

Without online it just won't matter. Same for hyrule warriors. Local is great but in this day an age games need online. Local also is shit in wii u case because so few people own one.

Am I missing something here? How does a low install base affect local multiplayer? You only need one machine!

Shion

That guy srsly has to stop. He is pretty much the japanese molyneux.

All talk but there is nothing coming.

I like zelda, but the games he has produced werent that good. Except majoras mask.
101% agreed.

I'd be OK with Aonuma working on Zelda as part of a wider team, but I don't want him in charge of the series anymore.

Top Bottom