• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands-on with The Legend of Korra on PS4

"And an exquisite story"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh you were serious.

Best part of Korra was a certain small flashback arc in book two. And that lasted like 2 episodes.

sjay1994

Haha, I have never seen so much negativity on GAF in response to the idea that people should be more skeptical of previews--especially ones posted on Sony's PlayStation Blog--making video games sound good! Reading this and realizing that it could've been posted on any gaming site is strange and kinda scary to me, as someone who cares a great deal about video game writing and reporting. Given how often people on this site complain about video game journalism, I imagined most GAFfers would agree. Video game sites need to evolve or they'll just be replaced by corporate blogs like this, which will be very bad news for anyone who likes gaming.

Yes Jason. Video game sites must report on airplanes that look like vegetables and weird exercises.

For that is the future of video game sites.

Fbh

Even when it seems like Activision might care, they still don't really care. :(

It's a 3D action game sold for $15.

Did you really expect it would be 10 hours long like most $60 retail games from the genre?

Hell, Metal Gear Rising which is also by platinum was sold for $60 and is like 5-6 hours long (and something like 4,5 hours if you don't consider the cutscenes)

it could be 2 hours long as long as it has plenty of replay value. Multiple difficulty levels, unlockables, challenge maps with leaderboards, etc.

Haha, I have never seen so much negativity on GAF in response to the idea that people should be more skeptical of previews--especially ones posted on Sony's PlayStation Blog--making video games sound good! Reading this and realizing that it could've been posted on any gaming site is strange and kinda scary to me, as someone who cares a great deal about video game writing and reporting. Given how often people on this site complain about video game journalism, I imagined most GAFfers would agree. Video game sites need to evolve or they'll just be replaced by corporate blogs like this, which will be very bad news for anyone who likes gaming.
off topic, I know. But I would like to know what your opinion on the e3 treehouse coverage is then?

Well Metal Gear Rising was really short too, but I would pay more than full price for it. If it's like any other Platinum game, it will have tons of replay value and hopefully medals and rankings in different difficulties.

I think you're way off base on this one Jason. People don't go to the Playstation Blog to get opinions on what to buy, they go for information about games. If you compare the PS Blog to Kotaku (since you've invited the comparison) I think one could easily argue that PS Blog has a much higher signal to noise ratio. (That's putting it as nicely as I can and I say that as someone who generally likes your work).

I will concede that the thread title should have included the outlet giving the information, since that is important (whether it's a company blog or not).

jschreier

Yes Jason. Video game sites must report on airplanes that look like vegetables and weird exercises.

For that is the future of video game sites.
Complaining about Kotaku East -- a subsite of Kotaku that covers Asian culture and has run every weekday from 4am-8am for over two years now -- is even more boring than previews. If you don't like that stuff, don't read the site then. Read it during regular daytime hours, or just read whatever articles pop up on NeoGAF or other aggregators. I really don't mind. I certainly don't read or care about everything on Kotaku East.

off topic, I know. But I would like to know what your opinion on the e3 treehouse coverage is then?
I think it is brilliant, not just because it's fun for Nintendo fans to feel like they're at E3, but because it showcases the people who work there, not just the games. As more companies take after Nintendo and do things like stream their E3 coverage, game sites will have to adapt accordingly.

Length does not concern me. If platinum delivers it will be the best 3-4 hours.

I bought MGR for full price and had a blast with it.

Ultimadrago

It's a shame future threads about this game are going to get bogged down by people bitching about the perceived quality of the show. :/

It's inevitable and should be expected as it's a bad show. However, I'm sure mods will keep the threads/OT on track in light of derailment.

hawk2025

Complaining about Kotaku East -- a subsite of Kotaku that covers Asian culture and has run every weekday from 4am-8am for over two years now -- is even more boring than previews. If you don't like that stuff, don't read the site then. Read it during regular daytime hours, or just read whatever articles pop up on NeoGAF or other aggregators. I really don't mind. I certainly don't read or care about everything on Kotaku East.

I think it is brilliant, not just because it's fun for Nintendo fans to feel like they're at E3, but because it showcases the people who work there, not just the games. As more companies take after Nintendo and do things like stream their E3 coverage, game sites will have to adapt accordingly.

And again, what is your qualm with a clearly marked PS Blog post, then? Surely it should have been included in the thread title, but given that it's obvious as soon as someone clicks the thread, what precisely is the large issue here?

Was it the assumption that people somehow don't know that the PS Blog won't write a scathing preview? Were you implying that the game is actually not good?

The puzzling thing here is that your initial post is divorced from what seems to be your general point regarding previews.

93xfan

Banned
By children yes

As a 31 year old, I found the previous series and this one to be amazing! They certainly have more mature themes and content, as well as better stories than anything I watched while growing up.

It's inevitable and should be expected as it's a bad show. However, I'm sure mods will keep the threads/OT on track in light of derailment.

I think it was a fantastic show. Especially season 1. It may not quite match the original Avatar, but it's very well done in my opinion

Tetranet

It's a shame future threads about this game are going to get bogged down by people bitching about the perceived quality of the show. :/

You must be new to the internet.

Either way, I want to see a video. I spotted some very disappointing production values in the screenshots.

Gbraga

Ask yourselves: would the PlayStation Blog make a PlayStation game sound bad?

You have a point, but I'm not looking for "is it good?", but rather "what does it offer when it comes to combat?", so, hearing we have parries and on the fly bending switching is pretty good.

I'm excited.

Skilletor

You must be new to the internet.

No, I'm not. That doesn't make it any less disappointing.

Anyway, an MGR style counter system, fully fledged styles for each of the elements, RPG style leveling system. I'm assuming we'll be able to switch on the fly.

lol @ getting your powers taken away. Samus, Alucard, Kratos...she's in good company.

Game sounds great on paper. Can't wait for some footage.

Hell, Metal Gear Rising which is also by platinum was sold for $60 and is like 5-6 hours long (and something like 4,5 hours if you don't consider the cutscenes)

The in-game timer (which doesn't count cutscenes or Codecs or reloaded checkpoints or deaths, as far as I know) said 8 hours on my first time through Revengeance, and I've since played that game for well over fifty hours without even getting all the achievements. Four hours in Platinum Time must be worth at least twenty real hours :p

jschreier

And again, what is your qualm with a clearly marked PS Blog post, then? Surely it should have been included in the thread title, but given that it's obvious as soon as someone clicks the thread, what precisely is the large issue here?

Was it the assumption that people somehow don't know that the PS Blog won't write a scathing preview? Were you implying that the game is actually not good?

The puzzling thing here is that your initial post is divorced from what seems to be your general point regarding previews.
Here was my train of thought:

- Wow, people are reading this as if it's a preview on any game site, even though it was written by a PlayStation employee.
- Wow, this really does read like it could be a preview on any game site. Scary!
- If the PlayStation Blog is covering games in the same way as any game site would, something is seriously wrong with preview culture, and we need to figure out how to change that, rather than let inertia take over, and watch game sites go obsolete.

I have no idea whether the game is good or not, nor will anybody until they actually play it. But this typical PR cycle is feeling more gross and less relevant every day.

Hope that helps.

sjay1994

And thats the problem with your site, there is so much god damn filler in it. The fact you are telling me to visit your site during certain times is more troubling than a preview on ps blog.

This whole thing began because of your snarky insinuation that the game was bad, and PS blog isn't accurately reflecting on the quality of the game.

This then moves on to "previews are boring" but your site never had any problems with previews before. Why are they suddenly boring? They give insight to a game we as the general consumer do not have the opportunity to try in advance, rather than waiting for an embargoed review.

Not to mention this preview you are criticizing was written by Ryan Clements, who was one of your colleagues who previously worked for IGN. Is his preview invalidated because he now works for playstation?

Also you indulge in leaking games, posting unfinished screenshots of games plastered with your watermarks on the side.

Previews are more valuable than the leaks you pride yourself with as we have an idea of a complete game, rather than a picture of something that is clearly unfinished.

Yes what we need is less information about games before they come out!

What you said would be true, if it wasn't for the fact that a lot of the times previews never say anything bad about a game. Usually, because they are afraid they wont be invited back for another demo.

Over the course of a few months, the writer intentionally tries to be neutral as possible and then during the review they talk about how terrible the game is and blah blah blah.

What we should be getting are demos and what players should be doing is waiting for a game to be release before purchasing them.

Then I fail to see what you problem with preview culture in this case is. Nintendo's main goal was to promote the content for their own platforms while cutting out the media as a middle man.
They did it in a very entertaining and informative way, I agree.

And in which way should the media outlets adapt?

wildfire

Banned

You might as well not click on the Korra game OT because we will critique the story for the game and if the quality matches Korra season 1 and 2 you'll be flustered. If it ends up being worse we'll drive you insane. Your only hope is if it is as good or better than OG Avatar.

Fbh

By children yes

ummm.

From what I'm seeing in the "critics review" section on IMDB (where it has a 8,7 score from users) it got possitive feedback from all of them

PS: Also, it's sort of funny to see your message seeing as you have a Naruto avatar xD

The in-game timer (which doesn't count cutscenes or Codecs or reloaded checkpoints or deaths, as far as I know) said 8 hours on my first time through Revengeance, and I've since played that game for well over fifty hours without even getting all the achievements. Four hours in Platinum Time must be worth at least twenty real hours :p

Over at "how long to beat" the feedback from 244 people resulted in an average clear time of 6 hours. Which is also in-line with how long it took me.

I'm not complaining though. I really enjoyed the game and replayed it several times. I'm probably way over 20 hours of game time in my save file

I just find it funny that people are so shocked that a $15 digital only game is going to be 4 hours long. Specially comming from this developer

And thats the problem with your site, there is so much god damn filler in it. The fact you are telling me to visit your site during certain times is more troubling than a preview on ps blog.

Not to mention this whole thing began because of your snarky insinuation that the game was bad, and PS blog isn't accurately reflecting on the quality of the game.

This then moves on to "previews are boring" but your site never had any problems with previews before. Why are they suddenly boring? They give insight to a game we as the general consumer do not have the opportunity to try in advance, rather than waiting for an embargoed review.

Not to mention you indulge in leaking games, posting unfinished screenshots of games plastered with your watermarks on the side.

Previews are more valuable than the leaks you pride yourself with as we have an idea of a complete game, rather than a picture of something that is clearly unfinished.

Considering there is only so much you can over before you start making up news like IGN.com and just for the record there are people that like the fact that kotaku is not a game only site. It is site that cover gaming not a gaming site like eurogamer.net. Personally, I enjoy Kotaku East stuff, it gives kotaku, it own favor and makes it stand out from the usual gaming sites.

jschreier

Then I fail to see what you problem with preview culture in this case is. Nintendo's main goal was to promote the content for their own platforms while cutting out the media as a middle man.
They did it in a very entertaining and informative way, I agree.

And in which way should the media outlets adapt?
One possible solution: get out of preview culture entirely. Let Nintendo and the PlayStation Blog be the hypemen and women. Spend more time covering real stories and games that are already out, rather than the dripfeed of press releases and PR-approved info that this industry loves so much.

- Wow, people are reading this as if it's a preview on any game site, even though it was written by a PlayStation employee.
- Wow, this really does read like it could be a preview on any game site. Scary!
- If the PlayStation Blog is covering games in the same way as any game site would, something is seriously wrong with preview culture, and we need to figure out how to change that, rather than let inertia take over, and watch game sites go obsolete.

I have no idea whether the game is good or not, nor will anybody until they actually play it. But this typical PR cycle is feeling more gross and less relevant every day.

Hope that helps.

Loudninja added a destructoid preview to the OT. We are all going off topic and should be discussing the game now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Hope that helps.

Yeah, but then you've completely derailed a thread that is not about those issues.

One possible solution: get out of preview culture entirely. Let Nintendo and the PlayStation Blog be the hypemen and women. Spend more time covering real stories and games that are already out, rather than the dripfeed of press releases and PR-approved info that this industry loves so much.
Sounds like
good
plan to me. Go for it :)

Previews are boring and increasingly useless to readers, and this is testament to that. If a preview written on a game company's blog reads just like a preview written on a game site, something's horribly wrong in the way game sites are approaching their coverage, don't you think? Maybe we need to take a long hard look at preview culture and think about who it's really serving.

Holy shit, you're out of touch.

Gbraga

I think we're missing the most important part of this new information

Oh yeah. I hope the combat is good enough to allow for some air ball combos, using it to get somewhere before the enemy drops that wouldn't be possible by foot.

it could be 2 hours long as long as it has plenty of replay value. Multiple difficulty levels, unlockables, challenge maps with leaderboards, etc.

Yeah, I don't see what's wrong with 4 hours. I mean, if it was 2 I could understand people being bummed about it, even though I'd still be interested, but 4? That's pretty good (considering we're looking at a 15~20 bucks platinum action game with the usual platinum replayability)

StoopKid

Hope that helps.

Didn't nintendo power do this for years ?

Previews are and always have been marketing tools, but they're marketing tools that might give us insight in to how a game plays. I know more about a game I am interested in now and am an adult capable of separating the obvious marketing from the actual information.

I don't really see them as that different from, say, trailers. We get an idea of what the game is, but it's through a lens smeared in vaseline to obscure all the rough edges. This is probably going to be a game with a lot of rough edges and previews aren't going to indicate that, but I don't think there are many people that blindly believe a preview's fountain of positivity and, if there are, they're probably dumb and can't be reasoned with.

watership

Hehe yeah it is pretty awesome to get random surprises like this.

It's a great surprise. Is Platinum doing all the versions? Considering this is the largest number of platforms they've done versions on for a game. Xbox One, 360, PS3, PS3 and PC. Pretty impressive for them if true.

jschreier

Look all I did was make a topic about something that pop up in my feed, its no nefarious means behind it. :/
Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread. I'll stop responding about this here -- someone's welcome to make a new thread if they want to talk more about previews in general, and I'll respond as I have time.

ShinMaruku

Something is seriously wrong with preview culture, and we need to figure out how to change that, rather than let inertia take over, and watch game sites go obsolete.
Of course there is something wrong with preview culture, you want something to change about that? 2 huge things you have to go to marketing teams and tell them they have killed their own job. Most people will never admit they are wrong that is something difficult to push through and how this industry and it's consumers are I feel they will just roll over from it rather than look to solutions.

Some of these things have been boiling for a long time but it's something with this culture where nobody wants to rock the boat. Nobody is willing to capsize it. "No gaiz we have something good here, don't rock the boat" While charlatans walk away with money, no accountability and what not.

But you should have brought that up in something other than the pulchritudinous Korra.

Top Bottom