• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| JULY 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so I found Sharknado on my decoder and gave it a try, just to see what the fuss is all about

2:38 minutes later I pulled Future Force out of my arse and watched the whole thing, just to remind myself how trash movies should be done

christ. awful, awful thing

Backdraft - Ron Howard as fuck, but that's not what I want to talk about. What I want to talk about is Beep Iams. That is the real name of a child actor in this film. I mean, holy shit, right. Someone has to go the rest of their lives answering to "Beep". How you gon put that on your resume, "Beep Iams"? How you gon have your girl saying "yeah Beep just like that baby"? How your son gon look you in the eye and you know he respects a man named "Beep"? He's lucky he was a Hollywood kid, cuz elementary school would have been hell for this little mothafucka.

UrbanRats

A talented writer Shinkai is not.

I thought the very base premise could've been interesting, with more fleshed out characters, and less of a terrible melodrama romance to back it up.
The whole sequence in the end felt incredibly unearned and needlessly dramatic (as well as clichè).

I'm thinking the movie was aimed at highschool kids with a crush for their teachers, but even then...

Enco

I'm watching You're Next on Netflix.

HOLY. CRAP.

What an annoying and dumb fucking group of people.

Not sure if I can finish this...

big ander

I'm watching You're Next on Netflix.

HOLY. CRAP.

What an annoying and dumb fucking group of people.

Not sure if I can finish this...
I 1) don't see how they're dumb 2) don't see how them being dumb would make the movie bad, that's not at all a metric of quality. Also some of them are supposed to be annoying, movies would be garbage if every character were "likable". I recommend finishing the movie instead of stopping to post on forums

Enco

I 1) don't see how they're dumb 2) don't see how them being dumb would make the movie bad, that's not at all a metric of quality. Also some of them are supposed to be annoying, movies would be garbage if every character were "likable". I recommend finishing the movie instead of stopping to post on forums
Usually don't stop to post but it was annoying.

Finished the film.

1. It has so many cliches it's ridiculous
2. Dumb characters do ruin horror films. 99% of slasher films are based on people doing dumb things. It makes the movies frustrating to watch. I was shaking my head every few minutes. A couple dumb moments I can overlook if the film is fun. This film was so full of dumb moments it's hard to enjoy
3. The final act got a bit better
4. I don't expect every character to be likeable but when people start joking and arguing after a family member dies and someone is shot, it's pretty damn stupid

Overall a pretty disappointing film. Gets better but it does nothing special. Has the same big flaws as every other horror movie.

big ander

I'll do the new thread thing in a couple of hours.

About to watch Midnight Run. Never heard of it but it looks pretty fun.

Also 2,222 checks on ICM :D
Midnight Run's a lot of fun! It's narratively repetitive and at times it's very obviously engineered to continue arbitrarily but Grodin and De Niro have such good chemistry that it's worth it.
Usually don't stop to post but it was annoying.

Finished the film.

1. It has so many cliches it's ridiculous
2. Dumb characters do ruin horror films. 99% of slasher films are based on people doing dumb things. It makes the movies frustrating to watch. I was shaking my head every few minutes. A couple dumb moments I can overlook if the film is fun. This film was so full of dumb moments it's hard to enjoy
3. The final act got a bit better
4. I don't expect every character to be likeable but when people start joking and arguing after a family member dies and someone is shot, it's pretty damn stupid

Overall a pretty disappointing film. Gets better but it does nothing special. Has the same big flaws as every other horror movie.
1) The use of cliche isn't an automatic negative; what about the use of cliche in You're Next is bad? It's slasher/home invasion used to look at how evil out in the open is less of a threat than repressed evil. (I also don't think the film has that many cliche situations, it's not wholly original but it's inventive enough)
2)+4) It's all about how the characters are dumb. Their mistakes have to be rooted in character. Hypothetically say in the 1st act of a movie one character warns another that they shouldn't blast music so often; then when the killer comes in the unlocked back door 40 minutes later and the person's dancing and can't hear it it's rooted in their mistake of being so distracted. That goes for You're Next. Their rash decisions were rooted in character and the tense dinner before shit goes down shows why these people would largely resort to pettiness in crisis.

edit: also it sounds like you're anti-horror by default, which, fine, it's weird but it's your opinion. I just don't get why you'd watch an indie slasher then

Shaffield

I went to a screening of Boyhood on Tuesday night. I don't even know where to begin, ive never seen anything like it. It might be my favorite movie ever.

Enco

I'm fine with horrors. I enjoy them and usually don't think too much.

Don't see how a cliche can be a positive. Spoilers below.

1. People are shooting through the window. What do they do? Hold a chair to protect their heads. Why not crouch/crawl past the bottom?
2. Someone sees one of the killers under a bed. What do they do? Run out of the house screaming. How about warning others? Safety in numbers?
3. Splitting up. Like that ever works out in movies
4. Attempting to run out of the house in the dark in the hopes of finding some help
5. No reception (although explained). However, one of the people gets 1 bar. They say that'll be enough to text but can't call the police. Doesn't sound legit
6. Constant arguing over dumb things. Your family is being slaughtered. You don't have time to make fat jokes

Seeing silly decision after silly decision just makes the movie frustrating. When most people are dead and the stupid decisions drop in number, the film becomes more enjoyable. That's why the second part is more fun.

Oh and acting was pretty bad. I didn't care about a single person.

It's nothing new, nothing amazing but if you can get past the first half you'll find it decent.

I understand what you're saying though. I just don't have much tolerance for dumb things in movies.

I thought the very base premise could've been interesting, with more fleshed out characters, and less of a terrible melodrama romance to back it up.
The whole sequence in the end felt incredibly unearned and needlessly dramatic (as well as clichè).

I'm thinking the movie was aimed at highschool kids with a crush for their teachers, but even then...
I haven't gotten around to his more recent films but I've never found his storytelling all that compelling.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Finally watched The Road this week, put it off for so long because I usually avoid challenging films but a discussion in one of the TLOU threads gave me the incentive I needed. Was absolutely fantastic, really couldn't have been any better. I'm a little pissed at myself for not reading the book first.

Also watched a horror movie called Oculus, which I thought was pretty good. Not overly scary but original enough, I have been scared of mirrors since The Candyman tho so that probably helped.

big ander

I'm fine with horrors. I enjoy them and usually don't think too much.

Don't see how a cliche can be a positive. Spoilers below.

1. People are shooting through the window. What do they do? Hold a chair to protect their heads. Why not crouch/crawl past the bottom?
2. Someone sees one of the killers under a bed. What do they do? Run out of the house screaming. How about warning others? Safety in numbers?
3. Splitting up. Like that ever works out in movies
4. Attempting to run out of the house in the dark in the hopes of finding some help
5. No reception (although explained). However, one of the people gets 1 bar. They say that'll be enough to text but can't call the police. Doesn't sound legit
6. Constant arguing over dumb things. Your family is being slaughtered. You don't have time to make fat jokes

Seeing silly decision after silly decision just makes the movie frustrating. When most people are dead and the stupid decisions drop in number, the film becomes more enjoyable. That's why the second part is more fun.

Oh and acting was pretty bad. I didn't care about a single person.

It's nothing new, nothing amazing but if you can get past the first half you'll find it decent.

I understand what you're saying though. I just don't have much tolerance for dumb things in movies.
how broad are you talking with cliche? and do you know what you mean exactly? Because a cliche is "boy meets girl" or "killer murders teens." cliche=/=bad. lazy cliche=bad.

your 1-4 and 6 seem like trying too hard; everyone thinks they would be amazing in this kind of crisis when they wouldn't be. 5: it's very possible to have enough service to send a text but not call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom