• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom reveal reactions

hlhbk

Doesn't really change the fact that they feel we're not "good enough" to see this trailer that they showed at the con. I really can't respect that kind of marketing.

WTF? Where the hell did you get we aren't "good enough"? Gaming is a business, and they chose not to release the footage since it wasn't up to their standards for the mass public. It isn't marketing, it's being smart.

Doesn't really change the fact that they feel we're not "good enough" to see this trailer that they showed at the con. I really can't respect that kind of marketing.
The con is for dedicated fans of id (and now Bethesda). They didn't show a trailer, it was early footage of 2 levels as a treat for those in attendance. The flipside of "giving back to the dedicated fans" is making everyone else say "hey, we wanna see it too". The game probably isn't coming until fall of next year anyways

Valnen

WTF? Where the hell did you get we aren't "good enough"? Gaming is a business, and they chose not to release the footage since it wasn't up to their standards for the mass public. It isn't marketing, it's being smart.

If it wasn't good enough for the public I have doubts they would have shown it to anyone outside the industry. It's definitely marketing.

The con is for dedicated fans of id (and now Bethesda). They didn't show a trailer, it was early footage of 2 levels as a treat for those in attendance. The flipside of "giving back to the dedicated fans" is making everyone else say "hey, we wanna see it too". The game probably isn't coming until fall of next year anyways

So they got to see more than those of us in the general public will likely get to see for a very long time. Great. That actually makes me feel worse about this.

clem84

Gold Member
If this keeps going, the amount of hype and expectations this game will gather in the next year will be impossible to live up to and we will most likely be disappointed next June. :)

dreamfall

That was so fun! It's nice to see fans with such passion!

I want to see this reveal- all this talk about the chainsaw and the speed!

Doom is like that project you half-assed once and you couldnt understand why so many people loved it. But you just went with it and incorporated that half-assness into your next 4 or 5 projects.

I'd give you the benefit of just being ignorant about the making of the game, but you just had to act like you were on the development team, so....

wtf

Trojan X

Banned
I can't believe there's no shaky cam or even potato footage of this.

Utter bullshit, they revealed Doom to a bunch of Doom fans to generate hype, but I don't blame them as early gameplay would be panned by the interwebz even if it was awesome spread on toast.

Agreed.

glottis8

Banned
I'd give you the benefit of just being ignorant about the making of the game, but you just had to act like you were on the development team, so....

wtf

Unfortunately this happens a lot. People think that making games is a walk on the park. Specially some of these big profile games. It's too bad really. Any game has a lot of work and effort put into it.

I am skeptical about doom tho. Have not enjoyed any doom since the second one haha. But i did enjoy Wolfenstein NO a lot. So here i am hoping it'll be good :D BUT! they need to show something to people. At least a screen or video of the people reaction to them watching the doom trailer. Better than nothing.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
rofl

On a different note, am I the only one extremely skeptical by all this? I mean I get throwing something out to the fans at your convention, but if these reactions are authentic, then iD would know they have gold and I imagine would want that out in public as soon as possible.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they decided to release the video at one of the upcoming shows, again assuming it really is that good.

Then again, I remember thinking Doom 3 was pretty amazing for about the first 2 hours until I quickly realized that every room in the game was exactly the same and then got bored and turned it off.

Mihalis

One of the most impressive things about doom 3 was every room was different and had a place and purpose within the world.

I think you mean Enemy encounters. Because the evironments were as varied and well done as any game of its time and many since.

olore

"They come out of the theater CHARgED! ROCKY!! Yeah ROoOCKUU!!"

Sorry, couldn't help but think of this classic Eddie Murphy stand-up routine.

If it truly is Doom II on next-gen engine and high-speed, my interest is piqued

Top Bottom