• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku/NewsCafe report that Studio Ghibli might stop making films

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinUK86

UPDATE: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-04/ghibli-co-founder-suzuki-studio-considers-dismantling-production-department/.77263

Studio Ghibli representative director and co-founder Toshio Suzuki appeared on the TBS television program Jōnetsu Tairiku on Sunday to discuss the studio's future after Hayao Miyazaki's retirement from directing feature films.

Suzuki discussed the great changes that the entire studio is undergoing at the studio's shareholders meeting, and mused that these changes may include dismantling the production department. While there has been talk among some about dissolving the studio outright, Suzuki emphasized that the truth is that the studio is considering "housecleaning" or restructuring for now. The end result would be "rebuilding" the studio and creating an environment for the next generation.

cfmda2xx6zsgb8dmd8he.jpg

http://kotaku.com/studio-ghibli-might-quit-making-feature-films-says-rep-1608198259

A purported insider told Japanese site News Cafe that Ghibli's latest release, When Marnie Was There, "seems like it will be the last [from Studio Ghibli]."

As the insider explained, there was scuttlebutt of the studio's dissolution last year after Miyazaki retired once completing The Wind Rises. Then, this past spring, longtime Ghibli producer and studio co-founder Toshio Suzuki also stepped down from producing films. He is now Ghibli's general manager.

"From here on, it appears as though this won't be a studio that makes new works, but instead, manages its copyrights."

If this rumour turns out to be true, that would be a terrible thing. Saying that, Miyazaki has retired and returned multiple times now so hopefully this is just one more of those rumours that end up false.

Stick me on the catbus with a one way ticket to the bathhouse if old.

It will have to end some day, creating space to be filled by newcomers. I have personally lost interest in their storytelling.

Sad but true, the films just don't resonate with me like they used to. Last one that affected me in any way was Howl. Wind Rises was good, and I enjoyed Poppy Hill as well, just not really as big a fan of their realistic drama stuff. Arriety was gorgeous but didn't really stay with me for long after watching it.

And Ghibli, please release Mei and the Catbus in HD. Seeing a cam of that short did more for my soul than their collective output over the past decade.

DJ_Lae

This seems more inevitable than anything. I'm in agreement with others than their recent stuff hasn't seemed as special as the older stuff. Maybe it's just me getting older, I dunno.

Spirited Away was the last one to really pull me in.

Weirdly, my most enjoyed Japanese movies recently have been by Mamoru Hosada, though they aren't quite on the level of Ghibli's stuff.

massoluk

Banned
transition to full cg takes some time, gotta find new staff.

I don't know what's more horrifying, Ghibli stop making film or going full CG.
On serious note, is it the issue that they simply have not groomed a good enough people to pick up the torch? :\

andymcc

Banned
I would be devastated. Going to the museum last summer was one of the highlights of my life.

i don't think that would close. nor would their merchandising arm.

they'd just pretty much do nothing but be a glorified disney store chain.

They could have fostered enough new talent in the studio to keep it going for as long as they wanted to, but it either wasn't attempted on a big enough scale or they just weren't interested.

Studio Ghibli is a life-changing inspiration for me and I will always treasure every one of their productions. I'll be really, really sad if it does come to an end, but it would feel worse if they tried to continue with the loss of talent they've had, and no one new to step up.

Jarmel

Banned
Not surprised. Miyazaki did a pretty crap job of cultivating talent inside the studio. The one person who probably would have succeeded him was literally worked to death.

Bodacious

Banned
Everyone pretty well knew that was coming. The bigger question is what's going to happen to the yearly Gaki no Tsukai Waratte wa Ikenai special. The exec. producer (Kenji Suga) has announced he's retiring after this year.

Meier

i don't think that would close. nor would their merchandising arm.

they'd just pretty much do nothing but be a glorified disney store chain.

Exactly. I imagine they'd continue to develop some shorts for the museum but the thought of Ghibli just becoming a shell and no longer adding new works to their catalog and the museum by proxy is so sad. :( It's such a beautiful building.

When we were walking from the train station (I didn't realize they had a catbus themed bus there), I saw this sign and was just filled with so much joy. :)

Blader

Cross-post from Ghibli thread:

That would be a real shame if Ghibli closed for good, but unfortunately the writing has been on the wall for several years now. Through both no fault of their own and actual fault of their own, the studio has just been unable to foster any kind of lasting successor for Miyazaki, and as promising as Yonebayashi is (just going off Arrietty), it's probably too late now. The time to make that kind of change came and went with Kondo's death and Hosoda's departure.

Considering Ghibli is the house that Miyazaki and Takahata built, it's probably fitting that it dies with their retirement, but even still it'll mark the real end of an era for both anime and film in general.

The reviews for Marnie have been encouraging though, so if this is the end, it's nice that Ghibli will at least finish on a strong note.

I hope not.

The full thing really gets me, particularly those last couple screenshots.

Seik

Banned
Oh man, that would be a shame. :(

At least they left one damn big, massive footprint in the animation world.

Watching when marnie was there makes me hope for a new ghibli with the next generation overcomming miyazaki.

Marnie is so different from ghiblis usual style, yet so engaging and charming.

Unfortunately it seems to be a flop

jerry1594

Aβydoς;122021782 said:
Just make a Death Grips anime to end both in style
Just barfed in my mouth more than a little

The last movie I saw of theirs was Ponyo, and I loved it as much as their earlier stuff. No wait it was Arrietty, which honestly wasn't as good, but still really good.

transition to full cg takes some time, gotta find new staff.

Well ronya is going to be full cg
This seems more inevitable than anything. I'm in agreement with others than their recent stuff hasn't seemed as special as the older stuff. Maybe it's just me getting older, I dunno.

Spirited Away was the last one to really pull me in.

Weirdly, my most enjoyed Japanese movies recently have been by Mamoru Hosada, though they aren't quite on the level of Ghibli's stuff.

Watch marnie. Its the best from ghibli in ages
Even if they do end, the works produced there live on. If Miyazaki is done, maybe the studio can rest. The slides from that documentary are really poignant.

"It's only a name."

marnie is pretty much anti-miyazaki on purpose, yet ita a beautiful thing.

Zabuza

Banned
Even if they do end, the works produced there live on. If Miyazaki is done, maybe the studio can rest. The slides from that documentary are really poignant.

"It's only a name."

Mr-Joker

Banned
I hope this doesn't mean that their DVD suddenly start sky rocketing in price.

It's a shame they couldn't get any young blood to take over.

Blader

Would Hosoda actually come back if granted free control like he has now(or moreso anyway)?

He sort of commented on this recently actually and said it's best if he just does his kind of films and Ghibli does their kind of films. So he doesn't seem interested.

Jarmel

Banned
He sort of commented on this recently actually and said it's best if he just does his kind of films and Ghibli does their kind of films. So he doesn't seem interested.

Well it looks like Ghibli isn't going to be making any films.

I'm just wondering if someone at Ghibli would be desperate enough to try and convince him to come back. It does seem somewhat unlikely though.

Branduil

This wouldn't be happening if they hadn't screwed over Hosoda with Howl's Moving Castle.

Or Miyazaki hadn't killed Kondo with overwork.

jerry1594

Something a bit off putting from Arrietty onwards is the change in art style. Their movies aside from the cat returns always had a round look to the characters that was simple yet distinctive. I know some don't like how 'same-face' characters look but they look good to me.

Jarmel

Banned
What about howls moving castle? I never head about it

And kondo too

Hosoda was the original director for Howl but apparently didn't get along with the staff(whatever that means) and got the boot. I don't know if Miyazaki pushed him off or whether Hosoda just didn't fit in.

Kondo had health issues and Miyazaki just literally worked him to death.

This wouldn't be happening if they hadn't screwed over Hosoda with Howl's Moving Castle.

Or Miyazaki hadn't killed Kondo with overwork.

yonebayashi and miyazaki jr.

Im not sure about jr yet. His debut was bad and poppyhills was okay
Yonebashi had a stronger debut and marnie is top 5 material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom