• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku/NewsCafe report that Studio Ghibli might stop making films

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their movies of grand adventure and excitement have always been my favorite. Ponyo was alright, arietty was fine, but they don't match up to the unique worlds of spirited away, mononoke, howl's, laputa, and such. What they need is to make another new exiting adventure.

/XX/

Would Hosoda actually come back if granted free control like he has now(or moreso anyway)?
Mamoru Hosoda's projects along STUDIO CHIZU & MADHOUSE have earned nowadays a close enough strong backing from big production companies like NTV that also supported Studio Ghibli endeavours, and he already has full control over that, with veteran people like Masao Maruyama helping with his great experience. In my opinion, there wouldn't be much to gain from that change...

pants

They should do some sort of alternate world cross over with all their best chars and end the movie off to 'I had the time of my life' and end it there.

EDIT: Makoto Shinkai better step up, I really like his stuff.

MicH

Oh no :( I love their movies. I think I've watched Whisper if the Heart close to 10 times and Kiki's Delivery Service about 5-6 times!

gerg

Better to go out and do it on top than to stick around and get progressively worse.

But they already made The Wind Rises.

It'll still be sad to see Studio Ghibli close. Whenever I've visited the museum it's been fantastic, plus it was through them that I also discovered the work of Aleksandr Petrov.

Mortemis

Banned
This sounds incredibly sad. Please no. All good things have to end though, and I've had a good time. But I still hope for the best.

Would be a shame but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me. There have been several interviews in the last couple of years stating how difficult it has become for Ghibli to find young animators who can draw by hand. For example:

“In Japan not many young people are coming in (to the 2D animation scene) anymore,” Shiota says. “The master animators are not easy to replace.”

Today’s animators simply can’t draw as well as their predecessors did, Shiota maintains, adding that using a computer program to create animated product is the wave of the future.

http://variety.com/2014/film/global...is-slowly-making-inroads-in-japan-1201129705/

And before Ghibli makes the transition to a CG-only studio, they'd better shut it down.

Empty

a bit sad they how poorly they've leveraged their financial muscle, wealth of experience and prestige to help bring through a new generation of creative talent. with the difficulties of making classic style animation in the current market, a long-term legacy built on the back of miyazaki and takahata's incredible artistic talent would be so valuable. the ghibli ethos and the values they've established as their house style (beautiful art, charming stories for all ages, environmental and feminist messages, relevance to japanese culture and history, largely a commitment to quality) is something that deserves to continue too.

Blader

Well it looks like Ghibli isn't going to be making any films.

I'm just wondering if someone at Ghibli would be desperate enough to try and convince him to come back. It does seem somewhat unlikely though.

heh, that'd be a little tough to do if Ghibli can't exactly pay directors anymore...

Also, there'd be really no incentive for Hosoda to do it. He already has full control over his stuff, why jump ship for the same benefit but with added pressure of making a Ghibli-brand film (especially for a studio that could literally die if your movie fails)?

Had no idea Miyazaki overworked Kondo to death, just thought it was a random stroke. Damn.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I have always hoped Ghibli's swan-song would be a more in-depth 2 or 3 parter doing Nausicaa more justice than the ultra clumsy super abridged movie they initially put out. Would be a real feel-good full circle thing.

/XX/

Would be a shame but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me. There have been several interviews in the last couple of years stating how difficult it has become for Ghibli to find young animators who can draw by hand. For example:

“In Japan not many young people are coming in (to the 2D animation scene) anymore,” Shiota says. “The master animators are not easy to replace.”

Today’s animators simply can’t draw as well as their predecessors did, Shiota maintains, adding that using a computer program to create animated product is the wave of the future.

http://variety.com/2014/film/global...is-slowly-making-inroads-in-japan-1201129705/

And before Ghibli makes the transition to a CG-only studio, they'd better shut it down.
It must be true that determined subset of skills for an animator aren't as solicited nowadays, which has resulted on a specific talent impoverishment. But there is that perspective, and also the perspective of those that mention Studio Ghibli's (specifically during Mr. Miyazaki projects) asphyxiating structure which motivated that the animator only moulded to requirements without any margin for a proper personal input of own ideas (and the consequent synergy), necessary for maturing as an artist.

We have already seen posted on this thread examples of that situation, but another even clearer example is the one Masashi Andō provides on a recent interview for YOMIURI ONLINE (http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/culture/cinema/cnews/20140620-OYT8T50212.html); on selected fragments of it translated into French, Mr. Andō explains how this studio's culture that sees Mr. Miyazaki as "omnipotent" made him quit it more than a decade ago to just recently return, but only because of Hiromasa Yonebayashi. His descriptions include inflexibility and an even infuriating disrespect for the uniqueness and particular talents of excellent animators, just for the obsession to comply with constricting instructions, and mentions Mr. Yonebayashi as a welcomed future for Studio Ghibli's approach to that much needed respect for those talents... those that Mr. Suzuki & Co. weren't actually capable of nurturing at the studio!

Timbuktu

Considering Ghibli is the house that Miyazaki and Takahata built, it's probably fitting that it dies with their retirement, but even still it'll mark the real end of an era for both anime and film in general.

Don't they have to at least try? For the sake of their animators, artists and staff, I guess at least hundreds of them would be out of work should the studio stop producing movies. They haven't hit the heights of the 80s and 90s for years now and have mismanaged their legacy and sussession plans.

wonzo

Banned
Would Hosoda actually come back if granted free control like he has now(or moreso anyway)?
Kinda hard to think he'd go back, especially with the way he was treated there (which lead to the rumors that his One Piece movie is an allegory for his time at Ghibli.)

CTLance

Aw hell naw.

I mean, I haven't really kept in close contact with all things Anime, but that would be a serious loss, key staff leaving notwithstanding.

Damn.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
This was going to happen eventually, and it is a shame since there's no studio quite like them. But it is best to leave on a higher note and be remembered for taking the out while you could.

A damn shame, because the industry needs more studios like them.

It must be true that determined subset of skills for an animator aren't as solicited nowadays, which has resulted on a specific talent impoverishment. But there is that perspective, and also the perspective of those that mention the studio's (specifically on Mr. Miyazaki projects) asphyxiating structure which only motivated that the animator moulded to requirements without a margin for proper personal input or ideas, necessary for maturing as an artist.

We have already seen posted examples of that on this thread, but another even clearer example is the one Masashi Andō provides on a recent interview for YOMIURI ONLINE (http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/culture/cinema/cnews/20140620-OYT8T50212.html); on selected fragments of it translated into French, Mr. Andō explains how this studio's culture that sees Mr. Miyazaki as "omnipotent" made him quit it more than a decade ago to just recently return, but only because of Hiromasa Yonebayashi. His descriptions include inflexibility and even infuriating disrespect for the uniqueness and particular talents of excellent animators, just for the obsession to comply with constricting instructions, and mentions Mr. Yonebayashi as a welcomed future for Studio Ghibli's approach to respect of those talents... those that Mr. Suzuki & Co. weren't actually capable of nurturing at the studio because of extremely corseted views!

Interesting read, thanks. Maybe there's still some hope for Ghibli then. Especially since that insider only claims financial problems to be the reason - which could be premature without any numbers on When Marnie Was There

lupinko

I just saw When Marnie Was There last night, it was so moving, and I had feels all around. I haven't enjoyed a Ghibli movie in years. Gotta be one of my faves now.

Jex

It honestly seems about time. The studio is basically just Miyazaki and Takahata and Miyazaki was the only one generating the revenue to keep it afloat. Miyazaki's famously controlling attitude certainly kept the most talented away from Ghilbi (e.g. Hosoda) or he killed the rest from overwork.

ZoddGutts

He sort of commented on this recently actually and said it's best if he just does his kind of films and Ghibli does their kind of films. So he doesn't seem interested.

Besides, he has his own studio and has no pressure to live up to Ghibli (once good) standards.

genjiZERO

What does it really matter? Studio Ghibli is a collection of talent. When that talent's gone it's fine to just let it disappear so that it doesn't become derivative. It's not like another studio can't form around a different collection of talent.

GavinUK86

What does it really matter? Studio Ghibli is a collection of talent. When that talent's gone it's fine to just let it disappear so that it doesn't become derivative. It's not like another studio can't form around a different collection of talent.

It does matter to Ghibli fans. The era of that kind of anime is dying, if not dead. Anyone know of any Ghibli-like films? None really pop into my mind right now.

While it sucks, it is better to go out in a bang than to keep making mediocre and predictable films. Pixar used to be at the top of the animation ladder with every film they made being a must see. But after Toy Story 3 they have just been a shadow of their former self. If Studio Ghibli is only going to be so by name then the company might as well cease.

redhood56

Banned
I remember when I was little I saw Spirited Away in theaters and I remember that there were pig people in it. I need to see that movie now to truly appreciate it. RIP.

GavinUK86

I remember when I was little I saw Spirited Away in theaters and I remember that there were pig people in it. I need to see that movie now to truly appreciate it. RIP.

wave_of_feels-18739.gif

GCX

Even though I've been a huge Ghibli fan for years, I'd be fine if this happened. The studio was entablished to create the best possible environment for Miyazaki and Takahata to make movies, and it has now accomplished that task.

And besides, Marnie won't be the last Ghibli production. They are producing the Goro Miyazaki directed Ronja the Robber's Daughter TV series.

Tomohawk

It would be an end of an era when they close down. I wonder if any other japanese studio will be as popular in the west as they were.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The Wind Rises and The Tale of Princess Kaguya were great films for the founders to go out on.
It does matter to Ghibli fans. The era of that kind of anime is dying, if not dead. Anyone know of any Ghibli-like films? None really pop into my mind right now.
The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki.

Everyone pretty well knew that was coming. The bigger question is what's going to happen to the yearly Gaki no Tsukai Waratte wa Ikenai special. The exec. producer (Kenji Suga) has announced he's retiring after this year.

Oh no! But, on the other hand, it's been getting a bit too predictable lately. Sure, a lot of the fun is from the callbacks to all of the ridiculous things that happened in past years, but there has to be a balance with new bits too!

jerry1594

Overall I'm ok with it. If anyone there ever writes a good script again they can go ahead and make it. I'm curious as to why Goro gets so many projects though. Could they find nobody else with talent?

UrbanRats

That'd be horrible.

I enjoyed Ponyo a great deal and actually loved The Wind Rises.
They still very much "have it".

And even the movies i don't like that much, like Poppy Hill or Arrietty, are still a joy to just watch.

GCX

That'd be horrible.

I enjoyed Ponyo a great deal and actually loved The Wind Rises.
They still very much "have it".
Well they don't have Miyazaki anymore who is the reason the movies you mentioned exist and who's resposible for pretty much every camera angle, setting, dialogue bit, character design, etc. in those movies.

UrbanRats

Well they don't have Miyazaki anymore who is the reason the movies you mentioned exist and who's resposible for pretty much every camera angle, setting, dialogue bit, character design, etc. in those movies.

I was only mentioning more recent ones, but they have made good non-Miyazaki movies in the past.
Besides, as i said, even the movies i don't like that much, are still worth watching for me.

Even Howl's Moving Castle, which i hate! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom