• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm a Single Player Gamer and I Love Destiny

I've been gaming for 25+ years and have almost strictly been a single player/couch co-op gamer. Some of my favorite games are Final Fantasy VII, Bioshock, 999, Ico...single player games.

I did manage to get hooked on the Uncharted 2 multiplayer beta for awhile and it was pretty fun. Other than that, I've never played WoW. I've never played either Halo or Gears Of War online. I played a couple of matches of Call Of Duty online a couple years ago and of course I got my ass handed to me and I haven't played it since.

Online gaming just isn't for me. I don't chat with friends on my gaming console. I don't invite them to join me in anything, and they don't invite me. They don't even exist. I have a few relatives on my friends list and that's it.

So anyway, over the last couple of days I decided I'm going to try out this Destiny game because it's free, there isn't much else to play, and everyone is talking about it.

I'm really glad I made that choice.

So far the game is nearly perfect for me because I can still choose to play it as a lone wolf a vast majority of the time. It's what I've been doing for 25 years. The gameplay is fun, there's a good amount of exploration for the type of game it is, the sense of progression/upgrades are great. There's a lot about it to like as a single player game.

Having said that, I had just as much fun when I teamed up with random people and kicked some ass. The random events are fantastic and had me scrambling to reach them to help out my team. The revival system is very simple but works great. I rushed in multiple times to save a fallen teammate. Of course it not only helps them, but keeps me from getting slaughtered as well. Even if one of us is weak, at least they can divert some of the enemy fire. The final couple of bosses where teamwork is crucial also ended up being some of the most fun I had with the game.

So while I've almost always been a single player gamer, this game is very quickly converting me. And that's why I made this thread. To tell all the single player only gamers that Destiny is still absolutely worth playing. Everybody who likes a good shooter should buy this game.

A week ago I couldn't have really cared less about Destiny. Looks like another Halo. Another one of those dudebro space shooter games. I hate space games and the term dudebro. Then I played it, and now I can't wait for Sept 9th.

Aces&Eights

I'm with you, OP. Not a big MP player at all. I have quite enjoyed the SP so far and my only concern is that the campaign is not going to be very meaty. I REALLY hope they give us a lot of content and good SP DLC and expansions going forward. I'm so ready to plop down the 60 bucks for the full game after playing the beta but if we are only given 2-3 more Old Russias, then I might hold off to see what the expansions have.

Bungie

I have never in my 25+ years of gaming thought this would be possible, it's like Bungie also had the single player experience in mind or it must have been space magic slightly dusted upon our shoulders to hypnotize us into liking this game.

Lorcain

That sounds perfect for me. SP primarily but I can jump into MP whenever I want. I'm staying away from the beta so I can experience the game fresh at launch. Thanks for sharing your SP perspective.

Totally agree with you, although I'll take it one step further. This is the only pvp game I actually like! And I know the reason why, having your own weapons and armor makes every battle feel more personal.

im in the same boat... mainly a SP offline guy... and destiny is super fun and addicting so far.

the only thing holding me back now from buying is when the gamer goes dark....i'm going to essentially own...nothing (right?)

I was enjoying my time playing single player in an explore mission when the phone rang while I was in battle and I realized I couldn't pause the game. Not very single player friendly, that.

Kindof burst my bubble a bit, but I think there is meat on those bones still.

I used to be all about multiplayer back in my younger days. The older I got, the less time I have to put into getting better in competitive multiplayer, plus the stress of real life is enough, I play games to have fun, not to care about K/Ds. Destiny however managed to pull me in, not only in the PvE, but the PvP as well. I don't do as good as I would back in my golden multiplayer days, but I have a heck of a lot of fun. I get fed up? I go back and do a strike. I get good loot? I go back to PvP and go give it a shot. It's brilliant, I cannot wait for September to come.

Slevin

I'm more a single player gamer as well in the sense that I don't really enjoy online pvp/deathmatch. Cooperative stuff like strikes and public events in this game however are a blast. And I love being able to go into explore and story mode which are also just as fun. Bungie has done a great job here blending both styles of play.

And to be honest, I actually enjoy the online pvp in this because it's fun to test out my character's stat increases I've worked hard to gain.

Krakn3Dfx

I'm buying Destiny, and I will likely never touch the Crucible stuff. I do like coop tho, so I will likely do some fireteam stuff.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I was enjoying my time playing single player in an explore mission when the phone rang while I was in battle and I realized I couldn't pause the game. Not very single player friendly, that.

Kindof burst my bubble a bit, but I think there is meat on those bones still.
Oh wow, you can't even pause while playing solo?

That's.. odd.

Namikaze1

I'm with you, OP. I'm much more of a single player guy and the only multiplayer game I'll play extensively is Battlefield. I found myself enjoying my time in Destiny a hell a lot more playing with friends and gaffers. Heck, I even bought the PS Gold Wireless Headset for the game (and TLoU).
And because the cheap one packaged with the PS4 broke.

Raptor

Im a single player myself but for this one I enjoy coop and MP aswell for some reason, I think is teh customization and the all integrated aspect of it.

This game will change FPS on consoles forever.

Gaz_RB

All this time I thought I liked Destiny because it was good.

Now I find out that I'm genetically pre-disposed to liking Destiny.

It's in the water you drink and the air that you breath. You think Bungie spent that 500 million on game development?

Yes, check out Wolfenstein as well.
My other GOTY so far. I'm on Chapter 12. Excellent game.

Everyone loves Destiny, OP. It's pervasive; you had no choice.
It is our Destiny.

Manufactured pervasiveness !
I said as much in another thread. And while I still think the game is getting manufactured hype (such as it's own console bundle) it's clearly also got a lot of very real hype which I obviously think it very much deserves.

Servbot24

Banned
Glad to see this thread. The single player strength of this game is all I care about. Can't be fucked with clans and arenas and all that.

I'm a single player only to young homie, and I love Destiny as well. I see public events or some transient in my environment and I want to snip that fool. J/K.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Same here, but the always-online requirement is turning me off the game. I might pick it up for cheap, but not at full-price. Online requirement for the multiplayer aspects is obvious, but not being able to play single-player when the servers shut down one day is a big turnoff...

BigDug13

It's a really polished game. It lacks a bit in personality and anything that could be considered controversial, but it definitely plays like a well polished game from a company who really thrives at doing that.

Bungie is a fantastic developer for sure. But in the end, will the insane sales expectations have caused so much homogenization that the feeling of "great game" won't last so long because it fails to really push the envelope in any way?

I mean of course they're a fantastic developer. The only thing that had me start to consider an XBO was the MCC announcement because it comes with 3 amazing Bungie games. Couldn't care less about 4. (but in the end I think that collection will find its way to PC so I'm waiting.)

Totally agree with you, although I'll take it one step further. This is the only pvp game I actually like! And I know the reason why, having your own weapons and armor makes every battle feel more personal.
I haven't touched the PvP, but I'm actually excited to try it out. I'll likely have my ass handed to me yet again but I might be willing to actually try and learn it for this game.

Gameplay was fine, but the story, how little of it was there in the beta, was bad though.
I'll agree there. Don't get this for the story. I'm completely uninterested in whatever they're saying so far. Of course it's just a beta but I'd guess the actual game story still won't be that great. Who knows.

Lingitiz

It seemed fine in single player from the beta. I wonder how the late game sections will be though. Generally, I find high level loot games to be pretty frustrating in solo play versus coop.

I'm buying Destiny, and I will likely never touch the Crucible stuff. I do like coop tho, so I will likely do some fireteam stuff.

I'm with you on this. The co-op and strikes is all the multiplayer I need. The crucible is ok, I'm glad it's there but I probably won't spend a ton of time on it.

Haunted

Glad to hear it can be played as an SP title.

Then again, Titanfall got the same kind of marketing hype and attention and positive feedback in beta and before release... yet it was dead and forgotten a couple weeks after release. Don't think Destiny will be dropped as quickly and universally, but having such a precedent just a short while ago does stay the hand for a bit.

newsguy

I'm with you OP. I only use fools when there's a strike available, but other than that leave me alone you bunch of scumbags.

We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance
And if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine

eshwaaz

Totally with you, OP. I play only single player with zero interest in multiplayer of any kind, yet I've really enjoyed the Destiny Beta so far. The missions are too short and simplistic for my tastes, but the combat is a lot of fun with really satisfying weapons. I've only participated in a couple of Community Events, but they've been a nice diversion as well.

Top Bottom