• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm a Single Player Gamer and I Love Destiny

OP got it exactly right. I don't like talking to strangers so multiplayer games are not what I'm looking for out off my limited gaming time. Since the Beta opened I've played more than I have over the last 6 months. The game is fantastic and it lets me choose whether I want to be left alone or not.

Wait, seriously? Crap dude, who has an internet connection these days? I'm driving my Volvo 240 down to the Funcoland and canceling my preorder immediately.

Don't cancel your pre order. Pay the $60 now and when Activision eventually turns off the servers making the game you paid for defunct, just throw your disc away. At that point whether you have an internet connection or not will be irrelevant.

WinFonda

The bulk of the beta content is single player missions that can be played co-op.
Huh? The story missions are quite brief. In any case, every bit of Destiny can be played co-op, but there are elements of Destiny that cannot be played solo. That doesn't automatically make it a lackluster singleplayer experience, granted, but the rest of my post delved into that.

Vooduu

Destiny is the shit. I've put so many hours in just a beta, it's crazy.

Really hope Bungie can put out the content to keep players coming. I'm excited.

Don't cancel your pre order. Pay the $60 now and when Activision eventually turns off the servers making the game you paid for defunct, just throw your disc away. At that point whether you have an internet connection or not will be irrelevant.

I get the nostalgia of playing older games but do you honestly see yourself playing Destiny in 8-10 years? It sucks not really "owning" the game but it's $60 for half a decade's worth of entertainment. Is it really that big a deal?

I get the nostalgia of playing older games but do you honestly see yourself playing Destiny in 8-10 years? It sucks not really "owning" the game but it's $60 for half a decade's worth of entertainment. Is it really that big a deal?

You can still play WoW. I don't think this is as big of a worry as people are making it out to be.

Also I wish people would stop condemning the story elements in Destiny based off the fucking beta. All this hub bub about it being up its own ass. It's sci-fi. The genre nearly thrives on being ambiguously obtuse at times. You all just sound like you're up your own asses really.

Replicant

I have to say that this is probably one of the few FPSes that don't give me headache while playing it. I don't know what Bungie did but whatever they did for the default motion tracking is great.

ignata

The game is fantastic and it lets me choose whether I want to be left alone or not.

Wait, is there actually an option to turn off the appearance of other players around you? I really want to play this true single player and not even have other players around, but even at 4am yesterday, there were so many people around I had no opportunities at combat because it seems someone else would get to a group of enemies and take them out before I even had the chance to try.

Don't forget it's always online single player!
The game is engineered to run from servers. It isn't "always online" as a DRM measure.

There's only one set of servers for the franchise, period.

Wait, is there actually an option to turn off the appearance of other players around you? I really want to play this true single player and not even have other players around, but even at 4am yesterday, there were so many people around I had no opportunities at combat because it seems someone else would get to a group of enemies and take them out before I even had the chance to try.

Afaik it's always online. The main areas are MMOish, but if you do story missions the bulk of the mission will take place within an instance. It will notify you with the "respawning restricted" message upon entering one, at which point you and your fireteam are on their own. If you all die you start from the last checkpoint. These instances can be soloed, but without support you won't have anyone to revive you, should you go down.

Navy Bean

Only reason I'm still buying the game is the single player/co-op. Hopefully there is a decent amount of content. I'll try the PvP again but it really frustrated the hell out of me...

Aces&Eights

So, since this thread is a magnet for SP players, I'd be happy to run with some of you in coop doing exploration. PSN handle in profile. I'm an old fart who likes to go slow and explore every nook and cranny, spend more time modifying weapons and gear than playing (kidding, sort of) and don't say things like dudebro, 'murica, feels and dat. Never go to reddit and couldn't give two shits about Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.

Feel free to add....or ignore.

No option that I know of, but I have a feeling your problem will sort itself out at retail. You have people wiping out enemies before you get there because a lot of over powered people can't move on to the moon since it's beta locked.

Slixshot

Banned
I was enjoying my time playing single player in an explore mission when the phone rang while I was in battle and I realized I couldn't pause the game. Not very single player friendly, that.

Kindof burst my bubble a bit, but I think there is meat on those bones still.

-_____- it's a pause button

I have exactly the same feeling as you OP (regarding online gaming and FPS etc.).

I just still don't know if I'm going to buy it since I've got a lot of games to play and I'm not sure I could enjoy it for a very long time. The Beta is nice but I tend to find things very repetitive really fast and get bored by games easily.

Not taking into account the promise I've made myself that I will try not to buy any games on Xbox One and PS4 anymore since I get easily bored so waiting for PS+ and Games with Gold offers is the best for me ("free" is the main objective).

The good point is that I made good publicity of the game around me and I've got 3 people who want to buy it :D
I just hate all the hype around it, it's useless. The game is good so I hope they won't do too much during the main marketing campaign :/

500 M$ budget indicates they may even print the Destiny logo on the moon so probably not :/

T.O.P

Banned
On the contrary I'd never touch the game if i had to play it solo, pvp and raids are what i like the most about this game

from my experience in the beta it was practically a single player game. It reminds me of the souls series where ppl from the internet hops into your game and fights along side you. Just didn't felt like a multiplayer game to me
Yep I liked that I could just play it myself and if I wanted to go help out I could.

Ok OP you got me. I was curious about the game, but as almost entirely a single player gamer, I thought it wouldn't be for me. But you convinced me. I got a code from a generous gaffer and installing as we speak!
Awesome hope you enjoy it.

I like to play MMO's but mostly stick to soloing, enjoying the experience of playing near others in a shared world and taking advantage of the fact when it suits me. Destiny is working out swimmingly for me in this respect.
Yeah exactly this.

I thought I hated online multiplayer until I played Mass Effect 3 and Borderlands 2 cooperative multiplayer. I found that what I really hated was COMPETITIVE multiplayer. Perhaps you are similar.
Seems like this could be it. I love competition but when it comes to online games I'm just not very good at them/don't try enough to get good. And I definitely liked working as a team in the beta. I haven't tried the PvP but I'll end up at least giving it a try.

I'm in the same boat, I just wish I was better at it.

I made my way through Halo 1 and 3 single player campaigns on easy, but the dark (no-respawning) areas of Destiny are killing me. I had to have my son get past a couple of them for me.

Wish there was an easy setting in addition to normal and hard, for us old timers with declining skills.

ssowinski

Same here, but the always-online requirement is turning me off the game. I might pick it up for cheap, but not at full-price. Online requirement for the multiplayer aspects is obvious, but not being able to play single-player when the servers shut down one day is a big turnoff...
Why didn't they go cloud or peer to peer like Warhawk? I still play this "online only" game today and it's like 8 years old. Because it's persistant?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

It will probably get sunsetted in more like 6 years. And yes, I do frequently go back to games older than that, especially Bungie ones. Also, yes it is a big deal.
But the main reason I'm trying my hardest to resist buying it is what it represents, which is the always-on DRM dystopia that the rest of GAF used to seem so concerned about a year ago.

The game is engineered to run from servers. It isn't "always online" as a DRM measure.

Just like Diablo III and SimCity, amirite?

It will probably get sunsetted in more like 6 years. And yes, I do frequently go back to games older than that, especially Bungie ones. Also, yes it is a big deal.
But the main reason I'm trying my hardest to resist buying it is what it represents, which is the always-on DRM dystopia that the rest of GAF used to seem so concerned about a year ago.

Basically this. The scary part is that none of us know when it will eventually be defunct. Could be 6 years, or 8. Or even sooner than that. I know I'm comfortable with the fact Halo 3 is still playable after 7 years. Even more comfortable that I already knew this when I payed for the game 7 years ago. Maybe there will be pressure for adoption in the next Destiny entry. And there could be 'creative' ways to achieve this.

The less games going with this approach, the better. But the inevitable success of Destiny, we'll definitely be seeing more AAA games designed around servers in the future. It's not as bad as system-wide DRM, but it's pretty close.

Top Bottom