• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm a Single Player Gamer and I Love Destiny

Mindlog

You would have loved Defiance. During its launch window Defiance was really great at letting you single player while seamlessly joining and dropping impromptu groups. The random events in that game had dozens in not hundreds of players running from objective to objective. Races were so populated they had an almost Trackmania quality to them. The game isn't quite as populated these days so naturally the odds of running into other players doing the same mission is diminished.

Not trying to take away from what Destiny has done. Destiny is a great game and those assets are dripping money. The level of 'Alpha' polish is obvious. I just hope sometime down the line that something like Defiance gets another chance. It's not hard to see a successor becoming the single player MMO that many people would have a lot of fun with.

You can't pause Dark Souls either, did I just blow your mind?
Nope. I've known about that crappy limitation for a while now. Because I read GAF.

But I thought some people might want to know that you can't pause in Destiny. At least I couldn't, when doing that exploration mission.

Maybe you can pause under some limited solo-instance circumstances? Dunno. I'll definitely give it a shot once they open for business again.

sn00zer

Epcott

I with you OP. Aside from FFXIV (which I mostly solo) I don't play many, or care for, multiplayer games. Games are a means of escapism for me, and the less "dick measuring" and positioning, the better (especially since there's enough of that at work).

You will need to get into PvP for some cool equipment, emblems, and swag though (at least in the beta).

bad or good its definitely not a good representation of what we can expect of the Story. After all it is a beta. Those were practically tutorial missions

Maybe. I'm hopeful. Though I will probably hold off on the preorder until I hear more about the story mode because that's the only thing I'm interested in.

imtehman

Banned
from my experience in the beta it was practically a single player game. It reminds me of the souls series where ppl from the internet hops into your game and fights along side you. Just didn't felt like a multiplayer game to me

Tagg9

I honestly don't understand how you'd enjoy Destiny single player. Let's be honest, the story is utter drivel and they've completely underutilized the voice acting talent.

Don't get me wrong - I had a blast playing co-op! But I absolutely would not have bothered if I had to go it solo.

Frillen

Yeah, I can't wait to play the full game as well, mostly alone. That's just how I like to play video games. Ironically, I actually have more friends playing games today (I'm 27) than what I had in my teens. But ultimately I like to play games by myself.

Nope. I've known about that crappy limitation for a while now. Because I read GAF.

But I thought some people might want to know that you can't pause in Destiny. At least I couldn't, when doing that exploration mission.

Maybe you can pause under some limited solo-instance circumstances? Dunno. I'll definitely give it a shot once they open for business again.
Yeah I don't think you can pause but I was fine as long as I stayed away from areas where they spawn quite a bit. It miffed me at first but I quickly stopped caring. If anything I like it because it adds a little tension when I decide to change/check out my gear in the middle of the game.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I honestly don't understand how you'd enjoy Destiny single player. Let's be honest, the story is utter drivel and they've completely underutilized the voice acting talent.

Don't get me wrong - I had a blast playing co-op! But I absolutely would not have bothered if I had to go it solo.

Eh, the story missions left me wanting more.

I played both Borderland games solo. I love trucking along alone normally, but I too love this game. Sometimes it's fun to hop into public events and then continue along your way.

Afrodium

Banned
This is really turning into DestinyGAF.com and I love it.

DGAF

Everyone has to satiate their Destiny hype somehow during this two day interim. August 28th is gonna be wild once the Xbox players are feeling hunger pangs too.

On topic: I play single player almost exclusively. Even with something like CoD where my friends were playing I just could get into it for more than a week or too. I don't know what it is about Destiny though... The PvE stuff is great, but I'm loving the PvP! I think this might be the first online FPS I really sink my teeth into.

I'm just like you, OP. I haven't played Destiny because I never preorder games. I really appreciate you posting this because it further confirms what I seem to gathering about the game.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
The strike really drove home how well Destiny conveys it's mechanics to single player focused players. The first strike I was on we all spread apart and fought our way to the devil tank almost completely separately. Along the way if a teammate died, well fuck him, not important. First guy to reach the devil tank tries to man fight him, boom dead, like lemmings walking off a cliff we all died one after the other. I honestly was frustrated with my group and considered just disconnecting. So we respawn together after failing, only this time we all cluster together and die huddled in one of the side buildings by the devil tank. Not again, this time we run to opposite sides of the boss and ping pong him back and forth, the two guys on the same side even revived each other when one went down. Boss goes down in no time. By the time we're fighting Septimus prime, we're all running around sliding to revive each other, taking up solid strategic positions and feeling like a team. Boss goes down and just like that, and we all part ways never to see each other again.

Plus, you know the story will unfold and live up to Bungie standards. I didn't even realize old Russia wasn't the only earth map.

Gaz_RB

They should do it like Watchdogs. If you're playing singleplayer solo, the game will stay paused unless someone joins your game.

Plus, you know the story will unfold and live up to Bungie standards. I didn't even realize old Russia wasn't the only earth map.

It might actually be, we don't know 100%.

Majmun

I can finish this game alone? Really interested in this game but playing online with others stresses me out. I'd rather play it alone.

Maybe you should have given "dudebro space shooters" like Halo a chance before.
You're probably right and I probably would have enjoyed it a ton had I taken the time to play and learn everything. Destiny will basically be my introduction to online gaming I think. It eases you in and I don't even have to touch the PvP if I decide I don't want to. So Destiny will be my Halo. I'm just a decade or so late.

Poona

Can you even play this game if you don't have PS+ or XBOX live Gold?

I'm fine with staying connected online but I wont have a paid subscription (so things like titanfall I can't play).

denshuu

Don't forget it's always online single player!

Wait, seriously? Crap dude, who has an internet connection these days? I'm driving my Volvo 240 down to the Funcoland and canceling my preorder immediately.

You don't need PS+ or Gold to play single player anything. Titanfall is multiplayer only, Destiny isn't.

Karl Hawk

Banned

I'm fine with staying connected online but I wont have a paid subscription (so things like titanfall I can't play).

You can play story missions and explore just fine without PS+. Things like PvP, Strikes, and Raids only require PS+.

joecanada

what did they do in borderlands 2 co-op again? cant remember... would be funny if when you paused you were invincible... Imagine the trolling vids.

sora87

I'm a single player only kinda gamer too, although I do like co-op stuff like L4D. I questioned my pre-order for a while after having an embarrassing time in the PVP, but I think I'll stick with it and just hope there's a substantial amount of PVE in the final game.

jett

D-Member
Well, it is a substantial single player game so, nice!

I can't imagine just playing Destiny solo. Pretty much all of the missions in the beta are balanced for teammates. Takes forever to down some enemies without people helping you out.

GavinUK86

Mmmmmmm Wolfenstein

oh god, you've set him off again!

I can't imagine just playing Destiny solo. Pretty much all of the missions in the beta are balanced for teammates. Takes forever to down some enemies without people helping you out.

the missions are balanced for how many players there are at that point in time so no, it doesn't take forever to down enemies solo. it takes as long as any other game really.

Same here! Alpha shocked me with how well implemented the MP/MMO/whatever elements were woven into the single player experience.

Also love how story missions have designated areas where people can't pop in to your world ambiently but other areas they can. Tons of fun :)

rjinaz

Ok OP you got me. I was curious about the game, but as almost entirely a single player gamer, I thought it wouldn't be for me. But you convinced me. I got a code from a generous gaffer and installing as we speak!

jett

D-Member
oh god, you've set him off again!

the missions are balanced for how many players there are at that point in time so no, it doesn't take forever to down enemies solo. it takes as long as any other game really.

I've done the big spider robot solo once. Took forever.

WinFonda

I don't feel like Destiny is a compelling single-player game at all, because the story, the characters, and your own character are connected nebulously, via some really flimsy threads. If you want to undertake missions/quests with barely any explanation from the people/objects that give them, and you want to do it solo for no other reason than to progress your character to his or her ceiling - but still be unable to do things like Strikes or Raids, then that's ultimately what Destiny single-player is. It's Borderlands with tamer loot and character progression. The core mechanics are a lot stronger in Destiny though, as is the encounter design.

But simply put, the storytelling is rather weak and won't be a driving motivator for finishing the campaign like most single-player games are for a lot of people.

The bulk of content is designed to be played with multiple people, and you will want to be connected online. Destiny is a rather good online cooperative or competitive game, but the story missions and free roam are basically all there is for a solo player to do, and in the beta at least, that is terribly limiting.

Apt101

I like to play MMO's but mostly stick to soloing, enjoying the experience of playing near others in a shared world and taking advantage of the fact when it suits me. Destiny is working out swimmingly for me in this respect.

Con_Smith

Banned
As someone who grew to love coop shooters, Destiny scratches an itch that has grown since I grew tired of borderhams deuce.

I've done the big spider robot solo once. Took forever.
Derp. Not a solo mission. Not even a mission proper. The actual story missions are fine solo. You normally encounter the tank in a three player raid, or in a group event.

The bulk of content is designed to be played with multiple people.
The bulk of the beta content is single player missions that can be played co-op.

Awesome to hear. Thanks OP and everybody else chiming in--this sort of feedback was exactly what I was hoping to hear about the game. Time to get on the hype train.

I've been gaming for 25+ years and have almost strictly been a single player/couch co-op gamer. Some of my favorite games are Final Fantasy VII, Bioshock, 999, Ico...single player games.

I did manage to get hooked on the Uncharted 2 multiplayer beta for awhile and it was pretty fun. Other than that, I've never played WoW. I've never played either Halo or Gears Of War online. I played a couple of matches of Call Of Duty online a couple years ago and of course I got my ass handed to me and I haven't played it since.

Online gaming just isn't for me. I don't chat with friends on my gaming console. I don't invite them to join me in anything, and they don't invite me. They don't even exist. I have a few relatives on my friends list and that's it.

So anyway, over the last couple of days I decided I'm going to try out this Destiny game because it's free, there isn't much else to play, and everyone is talking about it.

I'm really glad I made that choice.

So far the game is nearly perfect for me because I can still choose to play it as a lone wolf a vast majority of the time. It's what I've been doing for 25 years. The gameplay is fun, there's a good amount of exploration for the type of game it is, the sense of progression/upgrades are great. There's a lot about it to like as a single player game.

Having said that, I had just as much fun when I teamed up with random people and kicked some ass. The random events are fantastic and had me scrambling to reach them to help out my team. The revival system is very simple but works great. I rushed in multiple times to save a fallen teammate. Of course it not only helps them, but keeps me from getting slaughtered as well. Even if one of us is weak, at least they can divert some of the enemy fire. The final couple of bosses where teamwork is crucial also ended up being some of the most fun I had with the game.

So while I've almost always been a single player gamer, this game is very quickly converting me. And that's why I made this thread. To tell all the single player only gamers that Destiny is still absolutely worth playing. Everybody who likes a good shooter should buy this game.

A week ago I couldn't have really cared less about Destiny. Looks like another Halo. Another one of those dudebro space shooter games. I hate space games and the term dudebro. Then I played it, and now I can't wait for Sept 9th.
I thought I hated online multiplayer until I played Mass Effect 3 and Borderlands 2 cooperative multiplayer. I found that what I really hated was COMPETITIVE multiplayer. Perhaps you are similar.

Top Bottom