• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best RPGs of all time (PC Gamer)

inm8num2

http://www.pcgamer.com/gallery/the-best-rpgs-of-all-time/top25rpg-top-3/

25. South Park: The Stick of Truth
24. Dungeons of Dredmor
23. Anachronox
22. Legend of Grimrock
21. Torchlight II
20. Arx Fatalis
19. Mount & Blade: Warband
18. Gothic 2
17. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
16. Divinity: Original Sin
15. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
14. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
13. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
12. Fallout: New Vegas
11. Dragon Age: Origins
10. The Witcher 2
9. System Shock 2
8. Ultima VII: The Black Gate
7. Deus Ex
6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
5. Mass Effect 2
4. Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition
3. Fallout 2
2. Baldur’s Gate 2
1. Planescape: Torment

DO NOT SPOILER TEXT LISTS

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Pretty decent list, Skyrim and ME2 are too high though, also thought Torchlight 2 was garbo.

inm8num2

Yea, I thought they'd have Morrowind and Diablo 2 rather than Skyrim and D3. Seems like a case of recency effect. :p

grkazan12

Mass Effect 2 at at #5

d2f536a973082e992c5fcf8804c5106a.480x360x1.jpg

Durante

That is a pretty damn good list for a mainstream publication:
- Top 4 are particularly good
- They didn't forget about Ultima VII or VTM:Bloodlines
- They put Divinity OS on there
- FNV over FO3 and KOTOR2 over 1, right on!

The most out-of-place entry by far is ME2, must have been a brain fart. Still, surprisingly solid list.

DJ_Lae

ME2, Dark Souls, and Diablo 3 seem out of place (don't get me wrong I like them all but still).

Also where is Morrowind. Even South Park made that list, and it's an RPG lite.

3bdelilah

Banned
Skyrim, huh
Is it not an RPG with a lot of focus on character customisation and progression? I thought that were the core of a role playing game.

But whether or not it's too high is subjective of course, but it definitely belongs in that list.

Still funny to see ME2 in there since it apparently isn't even an RPG according to a lot of people here on GAF.

Surprising that KOTOR 2 is on the list and KOTOR 1 not at all, i thought the game was disliked. I agree completely with it though. Skyrim and Diablo are odd additions, but number 1 is as good as any. Not a bad list.

Torchlight 2 is indeed trashcan.

Might and Magic VI should be on the list somewhere in the 22-25 range. Wizardry 8 is pretty wonky in parts but deserves to be somewhere on there as well.

KOTOR 2? Hmm. I only played KOTOR 1. Maybe I should give it a try.

Kotor 2 is objectively a better game than the first in just about every way*

*once you install TSLRCM.

Only wtf entry is ME2 at #5. Seriously, wtf.

Diablo 3 I'm ok with as long as there's another big fat asterisk saying how shit it was at launch and that it's based on the merits of only the game in its latest incarnation vis a vis patch 2.1. It's still ranked too high though

One or another that I don't quite agree with but it's a very respectable list imo. Divinity OS and the upcoming Pillars of Eternity are also giving me new hope for the CRPG genre. Hmm, all over me!

Skelter

Banned
There are some stupid stuff on this list but I can forgive it for having Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 and not the first game.

Ralemont

not me
Surprising that KOTOR 2 is on the list and KOTOR 1 not at all, i thought the game was disliked.

KOTOR II is well respected among the PC community since they have the Restored Content mod at their disposal. KOTOR I and KOTOR II are pretty comparable in terms of quality, but in a list as stacked as "greatest RPG of all-time" there's no way they are including both.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I would have picked Morrowind over Skyrim, but that's just me.

I'm okay with Diablo 3 over 2.

manfestival

I thought spoiler texting the OP was a bannable offense because its unfair to mobile users?

or am I just dating myself....

I am ok with the top 5 but I think skyrim isnt a top 10 but it does offer an overall amazing experience... only on pc cause of mods. Which I normally do not count cause its added non official content.

SerTapTap

They're very clearly picking one per series, and seem to have an extremely high preference for the most recent entry in the series. Hell, they might as well just go for "best PC WRPG series" if that's what they're going to do. Though they picked Deus Ex over Human Revolution, Morrowind and Diablo 2 should be on that list as mentioned to death.

Top Bottom