• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best RPGs of all time (PC Gamer)

Interesting to see South Park on there. I'm a big fan of the show and loved the game, but I didn't know there was that much appreciation for it outside of its immediate fan base.

KOTOR II is well respected among the PC community since they have the Restored Content mod at their disposal. KOTOR I and KOTOR II are pretty comparable in terms of quality, but in a list as stacked as "greatest RPG of all-time" there's no way they are including both.

I know about that, I just feel that since I only played KOTOR 2 with restored content, I might not be judging it fairly against the first. The writing in my opinion is much better in the second game with or without the mod, so I agree with its placement.

Kater

Banned
Divinity Original Sin is already on that list, I'm impressed!
Have to get this game as soon as I get a new PC.

But why is there no mention of Morrowind on that list?

Denton

I mostly approve of this list. Skyrim should be lower, Deus Ex, Bloodlines and Witcher 2 higher.
But as a list of fantastic RPGs, it is, for the most part, pretty damn good.

The Cowboy

If it was Diablo 3 over Diablo 2 I'd be annoyed, but seeing as its Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls (which vastly improved vanilla D3) instead i have no issue with this at all.

21-25 are just thrown in there because they couldn't remember any other good rpg's

I don't consider any of those noteworthy.

nevermind, 23 is pretty good

yuraya

16 isn't bad but Divinity needs to be higher. The game has no fetch quests, is not a grindfest, and arguably has the best turn based combat system in history of turn based games. Easily top 10 imo.

spirity

Lists like these don't tend to get me worked up, but seeing D3 and TL2 up there but no D2? This is a bit of a daft move, really.

prag16

Banned
No Mass Effect 1? And KOTOR2 instead of KOTOR1 (KOTOR2 SHOULD have been the better game, but it was rushed out seriously unfinished).

linko9

From should be proud of themselves for being able to appeal to this sort of audience. Only Japanese game on the list, right?

Taruranto

That's a very good question! After all, it has "the best RPG combat ever" and "maybe gaming's best storytelling"!

Always fun to see reviewers backing down from their previous claim, eheh-

NStgcIj.jpg

Torment really the goat?

Yes. It has the best writing, characters and storytelling of any videogame. It basically shit on every production ever and it's on the same level of a book.

Staf

- I like Skyrim but it should, at best, be at the bottom of that list.
- Mass effect 2 does not belong on that list.
- Arcanum is missing.
- Mask of the betrayer is missing.

Ralemont

not me
I know about that, I just feel that since I only played KOTOR 2 with restored content, I might not be judging it fairly against the first. The writing in my opinion is much better in the second game with or without the mod, so I agree with its placement.

Hey, I'm not going to argue against KOTOR II being on there, even though I have yet to play it with the mod. Though I do think Kreia is really the only stand-out character in KOTOR II whereas KOTOR I had several.

Back when I first played through both games before I even knew who BioWare and Obsidian were, I remember thinking the first game had a better cast and that the plot twist was more of an emotional one (how does this make the player feel?) whereas KOTOR II's plot twist was an intellectual one. I think that was a pretty unintentionally true description of BW and Obsidian's strengths, respectively.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
The problem is that everything now has the mechanics that were once the domain of RPGs, i.e. skill progression, levelling up, story, dialogue, making choices, etc.

You can call almost anything an RPG, so of course people are going to feel like games are being left out. I personally don't feel like Deus Ex is an RPG, because it's essentially a first-person shooter. But people will continue to call it a straight-up RPG, so who cares.

Ralemont

not me
The problem is that everything now has the mechanics that were once the domain of RPGs, i.e. skill progression, levelling up, story, dialogue, making choices, etc.

You can call almost anything an RPG, so of course people are going to feel like games are being left out. I personally don't feel like Deus Ex is an RPG, because it's essentially a first-person shooter. But people will continue to call it a straight-up RPG, so who cares.

I think the difference with Deus Ex (at least, with HR, someone tell me if the first is different) is that you don't have to use a gun at all.

It most certainly is.

Seems unproductive to argue about this without stating the reasons why. There are indeed reasons one may like the first over the second and vice versa.

marrec

Banned
Diablo III is now better than Diablo II with the recent changes so I'm down for that one... but Skyrim? And Mass Effect 2?

It takes all kinds I guess.

I'd also put Divinity: Original Sin higher, at least top ten.

Also the lack of BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception invalidates the entire list anyway.

/listwankery

Eusis

Is Fallout 3 not on the list or am I blind?...seems an odd one to exclude if it's not there.
They notably didn't include more than one game per series far as I could tell. At least when said series is reasonably similar between installments, as the case is for Fallout 3/NV but not Fallout 1/2 that were very, very different.

marrec

Banned
Also a serious lack of Might and Magic. VI needs to be on any top 25 list. Replace Mass Effect 2 with Might and Magic VI and I'd be a lot happier with this list.

KOTOR2 in there is a complete joke. I don't care how good your "writing" is, (and KOTOR2's writing is overrated IMO anyway), but a buggy and unfinished mess does not deserve a place on the top anything of all time list. I don't care about the rushed released schedule, a game should be judged on what they released not what "it could have been".

That and South Park being there just proves whoever made this list is a Obsidian fanboy.

marrec

Banned
KOTOR2 in there is a complete joke. I don't care how good your "writing" is, (and KOTOR2's writing is overrated IMO anyway), but a buggy and unfinished mess does not deserve a place on the top anything of all time list. I don't care about the rushed released schedule, a game should be judged on what they released not what "it could have been".

Uh, same could be said for VTM. That game was nigh on unplayable at release but still one of the best of all time.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I think the difference with Deus Ex (at least, with HR, someone tell me if the first is different) is that you don't have to use a gun at all.

A pacifist option doesn't change the main thrust of the game, in my opinion. If anything, you're just changing it to a stealth game.

A role-playing game should emphasize story and character development above all. In Deus Ex you do shoot things quite a bit.

Top Bottom