• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best RPGs of all time (PC Gamer)

Ralemont

not me
KOTOR2 in there is a complete joke. I don't care how good your "writing" is, (and KOTOR2's writing is overrated IMO anyway), but a buggy and unfinished mess does not deserve a place on the top anything of all time list. I don't care about the rushed released schedule, a game should be judged on what they released not what "it could have been".

That and South Park being there just proves whoever made this list is a Obsidian fanboy.

I suppose it depends what the point of the list is. If we're truly just talking about the 25 best games, then I agree mods shouldn't be a part of that. But if we read the list as recommendations for people to play because they will most enjoy the experience, then I think mods have value (which could also explain Skyrim's presence).

Eusis

Ummm.... South Park? On a top 25 of all time list?
I... guess it's good enough to get in very low, but it does feel strange to see it there already. I suspect you ask this in a year and it'll not show up, and not just because it was at the very bottom.

And where the hell is Arcanum?

Pretty shocking oversight. I guess the editorial staff felt secure with both Fallout and Bloodlines in the list ^^

The list feels weird, all over the place. You have Ultima VI and Underworld but where are the other classics like Wizardry (W8 ?) or Might & Magic (Xeen ? VI ?). And you have your indie quota (Grimrock, Dredmor). You have your forgotten, cult semi-obscure 90s title (Anachronox). You have your 2000s fan-favorite (New Vegas, Gothic 2, M&B Warbands, KOTOR). You have Bioware and Obsidian recent big guns. You have Dragon Age and Mass Effect because you have to justify giving them high marks at the time.

It look like they are trying to craft the ultimate synthesis between fans and game journos, between recent and modern, AAA and small budget. Kind of a mixed bag; it lacks a certain sense of identity.

Durante

I agree with the list lacking M&M. Either Xeen or 6 should be on the list at the very least.

KOTOR2 in there is a complete joke. I don't care how good your "writing" is, (and KOTOR2's writing is overrated IMO anyway), but a buggy and unfinished mess does not deserve a place on the top anything of all time list.
They are PC Gamer. On PC, in 2014, KOTOR 2 is far from an "unfinished mess".

Serandur

Surprisingly a good list, but not a fan of Mass Effect anything and I could stand to see Skyrim replaced by Morrowind or Daggerfall.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Its clear certain titles got kicked just for the sake of diversity like Fallout and BG (probably IWD too). Skyrim should be Morrowind. ME2 is surprisingly high. Lack of Arcanum, M&M, and Darklands probably are the biggest omissions.

Soule

I like this list.

Interesting to see South Park on there. I'm a big fan of the show and loved the game, but I didn't know there was that much appreciation for it outside of its immediate fan base.

Pretty how I feel, I think I'm happy it's there but more on the merit of the writing than its standing as a game/RPG

That's a very good question! After all, it has "the best RPG combat ever" and "maybe gaming's best storytelling"!

I apparently missed out on some amazing coverage for DA2. Those quotes, wow.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I don't really know much about PC RPGs, I didn't play all that many of them, but a few things stood out for me:

- Diablo 3 over 2 and 1?
- Divinity: Original Sin was just released a month ago, wasn't it? It seems a bit premature to put it on a list like this.
- Mass Effect 2 over 1...is well, I guess the "popular" opinion. I liked 1 more.
- Most games on this list are surprisingly modern. Usually when people talk about the PC golden days, it's more about the 80s or early 90s, maybe it's different for RPGs?
- Personally, I would have put Quest for Glory somewhere on this list.

marrec

Banned
All of that said, I'm very glad they didn't go with the easy nostalgia picks like 'Rogue' or 'NetHack'. I'm glad those games exist, obviously, but they don't belong on a proper listing of 'Best Ever'.

Still though shoulda included at least one MUD.

Durante

- Most games on this list are surprisingly modern. Usually when people talk about the PC golden days, it's more about the 80s or early 90s, maybe it's different for RPGs?
From a quick count, I think 12 out of these 25 games are over 10 years old. And people are (rightfully) complaining about a lack of classics like M&M and Arcanum.

Head.spawn

Control F: "Morrowind" - 'No Matches Found'

50centdriving.gif

Sotha_Sil

I said Morrowind should take Skyrim's place, but I forgot that Mass Effect should be taking Mass Effect 2's place.

KOTOR and FO3 probably should have made it near the end of the list, too. Mask of the Betrayer is a huge omission. Glad to see Anachronox and Arx Fatalis on the list.

Onyar

My honest opinion:

Mount and Blade and Dark Souls are RPG? Well more like an ARPG, and with the action they are so good, the the other things that made them an rpg no so much.

Fallout New Vegas is too high, and I find better the 3.

Swap BG 2 for Planetscape and I will be ok with that.

Diablo 3 at 13th position is a joke for me.

Where's Morrowind?

jrcbandit

Torchlight 2 and Dungeons of Dredmor shouldn't be on this list, Mass Effect 2 should only be around #20-25 at best. Diablo 3 can only be on the list with the caveat that the expansion + latest patch is a must, the original D3 release was horrible. Don't understand why Mask of the Betrayer didn't make the list, while plain vanilla Skyrim did. Skyrim only becomes a great RPG after installing a ton of various mods for it.

Percy

Banned
South Park?

Give me a fucking break. It was fantastically written, but that was a shit videogame RPG without a doubt. No challenge, no strategy, no real choices open to the player... just a really shitty Paper Mario clone with a hilarious story and script to hide behind.

Interest flagged immediately at seeing South Park on the list. Nothing against it but... best RPGs of all time? And no NWN or Diablo 2? Of all time?

LordJim

KOTOR2 in there is a complete joke. I don't care how good your "writing" is, (and KOTOR2's writing is overrated IMO anyway), but a buggy and unfinished mess does not deserve a place on the top anything of all time list. I don't care about the rushed released schedule, a game should be judged on what they released not what "it could have been".

That and South Park being there just proves whoever made this list is a Obsidian fanboy.

Yet you accept Skyrim and VtM there(though Skyrim shoould not be even with mod support).

Eusis

Interest flagged immediately at seeing South Park on the list. Nothing against it but... best RPGs of all time? And no NWN or Diablo 2? Of all time?
NWN was more a content creation tool than a game, with the base game being kind of crappy, and Diablo 2... uhh, I guess Reaper of Souls is meant to be its stand in, but unless Reaper of Souls REALLY vaulted Diablo 3 up I'd place priority on 2.

Sotha_Sil

South Park?

Give me a fucking break. It was fantastically written, but that was a shit videogame RPG without a doubt. No challenge, no strategy, no real choices open to the player... just a really shitty Paper Mario clone with a hilarious story and script to hide behind.

I think it was a great game (never intended to be deep or challenging), but there are some questionable omissions that would have been better suited for a GOAT RPG list: Morrowind, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Arcanum, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Alpha Protocol, Fallout 3, Icewind Dale, and Mask of the Betrayer to name a few.

Arulan

It's a solid list given that it is from a major publication but there are some jarring inclusions and exclusions that almost make you wonder if the criteria for making it on the list was consistent or meant to please viewers.

Legend of Grimrock while a solid game doesn't compare to many dungeon-crawlers of the Wizardry or Might & Magic series which are both entirely excluded.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is another oddity especially when Morrowind is absent.

I don't want to over-analyze a list, there are several notable exceptions that have already been commented on such as Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura but at least they remembered quite a few of the greats.

That list is probably the best one out there (I think there was a GAF thread about it some months ago...).

Yes there is. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764633

For comparison:

Rezae

List is ridiculous with lack of Morrowind and Diablo II. Morrowind is one of my personal favorites of all-time, but Diablo II shouldn't even be debatable. It has to be one of the most played and longest played PC games ever. I would think it should be top 5 easy. I'll give them the top 2 though.

Top Bottom