• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best RPGs of all time (PC Gamer)

That list lost all justice with me when I saw The Stick of Truth in the top 25.

It was an okay game but are you trying to tell me it is a better RPG than the likes of Fallout 3 and Morrowind.

Going off that, how the heck is Fallout 3 not on the list but New Vegas is?

Daemul

5. Mass Effect 2

Doc-Rivers.gif

syko de4d

Thats how my list would start

BG2
Torment
Gothic 1
Gothic 2 Gold
Mass Effect 1
BG1
Kotor 2

Games like Diablo wouldnt be in the list for me because i dont play them for story etc. i play them online to create builds and farm items xD

I need to try the NeverWinter Nights 2 addon, never played it. People say its good, hope gog has NWN2 on sale soon again :)

lazygecko

I remember watching the PC Gamer Youtube show a couple of days ago when they were talking about the list, and the main qualifier was things that make a game good from an RPG standpoint and not the overall package (since having RPG elements is so common across every type of game these days). It seems very strange that they would pick Skyrim over Morrowind from that standpoint.

Fuz

Banned
Oh look, another laughable article from pc gamer.

Where's Daggerfall? Where's Gothic? What about Ultima VI and IV? Chrono Trigger?
What the hell are southpark and Dredmor doing there? Diablo and Torchling aren't even RPGs.

You should not do a "best of all time" list if you didn't play them all. Nothing wrong with a "my favourite 25 rpgs". But if you go for absolutes...

schlynch

You mean D:OS being too low, right?

To be honest, nope. The combat system is great and was the only thing that kept me playing it. Dialogues (if you really want to call it like that) and story were horrible. Some very strange humour on top and there were also technical flaws like the jerking camera movement due to different heights on the map. I was pretty hyped the first few hours but in the end it was just a mediocre game overall. To be fair there are other games on the list which weren't any better but ME2 (one of the biggest disappointments ever) and D:OS (one of the most recent disappointments) caught my eyes immediately.

Darkroronoa

Mass Effect 2 at 5th place, lol, for serious?

Pretty good list, i am surprised dungeons of dredmor made it, might not deserve it but it is a very decent game.

Sendero

Quite good list, for a non specialized publication. Specially if:

1) You focus on the picks, rather than the hierarchical order.
2) JRPGs are its own genre, hence no place there.
3) They tried to cover different types of RPGs without repeating games from the same franchise.

Hence only one entry from TES, Gothic, etc. I still prefer Morrowind, but can't deny that Skyrim is an overall better game for the general audience. Also, why Diablo is there.. you need a strong representative of the furious clicking action RPG. Same with Warband focus on sieges and skirmishes.
The exception is Fallout, since as a game NV is quite different to F1 or F2.

I personally haven't tried Dungeons of Dredmor. Guess they wanted to have a indie title somewhere. Personally, would have put Betrayal at Krondor instead. And replace Torchlight with either Darklands (far more impact on RPG world) or Alpha Protocol.

Daemul

I didnt' realize ME2 had such negative feelings. I played upon release and there was so much praise.

Mass Effect 2 destroyed the narrative cohesiveness of the trilogy, and forced Mass Effect 3 to carry the story of TWO games, since by the end of Mass Effect 2, the plot wasn't advanced at all, we were right back where we fucking started. I'm seriously surprised that the story in Mass Effect 3 turned out as well as it did, even the ending was better than I was expecting.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
To be honest, nope. The combat system is great and was the only thing that kept me playing it. Dialogues (if you really want to call it like that) and story were horrible. Some very strange humour on top and there were also technical flaws like the jerking camera movement due to different heights on the map. I was pretty hyped the first few hours but in the end it was just a mediocre game overall. To be fair there are other games on the list which weren't any better but ME2 (one of the biggest disappointments ever) and D:OS (one of the most recent disappointments) caught my eyes immediately.

I wouldn't say it's mediocre, but after putting about 80 hours or so into it I do think it's a tad overrated. As you say, thank god the combat is so good because otherwise...

Yet you accept Skyrim and VtM there(though Skyrim shoould not be even with mod support).

Accept is a strong word. I personally would not place any Elder Scroll game on the list. I never played Skyrim because my past experience with Arena, Daggerfall, and Oblivion told me it would not be a game I'd enjoy. I just choose not to comment on a game I haven't played.

VTM despite the bugs, was a very enjoyable game for me. The haunted hotel sequence alone was so memorable that I don't have a problem with its inclusion on the list. VTM was an original game and an attempt at something different.

KOTOR2 was not original at all to me. It felt like Obsidian trying to shoehorn Planescape Torment into the Star Wars setting. I loved Planescape Torment, and I loved KOTOR, but the forced combination of the two was just plain weird and not in a good way, nothing about that game worked for me.

Durante

To be honest, nope. The combat system is great and was the only thing that kept me playing it. Dialogues (if you really want to call it like that) and story were horrible. Some very strange humour on top and there were also technical flaws like the jerking camera movement due to different heights on the map.
Well, I very very strongly disagree. But this is not the thread for that.
If you don't like Larian humour you are a bad human being

OmegaDL50

Most peoples positive experience with Diablo II was mostly attributed to Lord of Destruction expansion and patch 1.09 and beyond from my experience playing the game for nearly 6 years consecutively.

There wasn't nearly as much praise for the non-LOD version of D2, which had it's own share of balancing issues, but with time things were fixed.

Just the same with Diablo III it's original release is far cry compared to the fairly significant improvements made with recent patches and Reaper of Souls expansion, so the situation IS somewhat similar in that the expansions for both games make it an overall much better experience.

Diablo II: Lord of Destruction IS a better game than Diablo III in my opinion, however Diablo III: Reaper of Souls is a better comparison when matched up against D2:LOD.

You want to put Morrowind on this list, fine, we can have that discussion. Skyrim? I'm sorry, but your list is now garbage. You want to put Skyrim above Deus Ex? Now you're just making yourself look like a fucking fool.

Taruranto

That's an hyperbole, if I ever saw one.
Dragon Age 2 writing and dialogues are horribles. Original Sin story and dialogues are pretty standard. Nothing stands too much, but they do their job and managed to tell a pretty conclusive story.

That looks like a pretty terrible list mainly for this:

I guess thats the result when you take out SNES, PS1 and PS2 games.

Skyrim and ME2 are pretty awful, but this doesn't make any sense, wat?

syko de4d

Divinity wouldnt be in a top 25 for me too.
Combat is fun but very unbalance and easy
Story is just average
Characters are not interesting
Writing is average
Loot is pretty boring
inventory system is really bad

Just a medicore game, but in a genre which was dead for a long long time so its still the best game in this Genre in a long long time xD

jimboton

Could have gone a lot worse. One could complain of a certain lack of Dungeon Master and Wizardry 7 and an overabundance of Skyrim and Mass Effect 2 but not bad at all.

Freeman

Banned
You can question if ME2 is good or bad, but it definitely is an RPG.

I don't know what Skyrim is doing on the list.

Some very good picks and some very poor ones.

Of the ones I played I feel like Vampire: The Masquerade and Legend of Grimrock, arent good enought to be on a list like this (the same goes for Diablo 3 RoS, unless it was a tremendous improvement).

you know you need to play more RPGs when south park is in your top 25 :/

planescape torment has some damn good writing so good choice for #1 not a huge WRPG style fan myself by PS torment , the KOTOR games and ME1 were amazing.

Grief.exe

You can question if ME2 is good or bad, but it definitely is an RPG.

I don't know what Skyrim is doing on the list.

Some very good picks and some very poor ones.

Of the ones I played I feel like Vampire: The Masquerade and Legend of Grimrock, arent good enought to be on a list like this (the same goes for Diablo 3 RoS, unless it was a tremendous improvement).

Skyrim is a bad RPG, it doesn't mean it isn't one.

Same goes for ME2 with the difference that it is actually a good game.

You make a good point here, Mass Effect still has a fairly robust conversation system so it can still be qualified as an RPG.

Skyrim is just a wide, shallow pool.

shiv_

Diablo 3 is better than Diablo 2. It wasn't that way after the initial release, but it is definitely better than D2 now. They've put a lot of work into it, and it shows. I can't freaking wait to play it on my PS4. If you haven't played it since release, I suggest getting the expansion and starting it back up. You'll be surprised.

Let it go, Dudes.

yuraya

This thread is making me want to play ME2. I have it in my backlog but never got around to finishing the first (which I kinda enjoyed). I've heard a lot of good things about it so its kinda weird seeing the game be so quickly dismissed from this list by so many here.

Top Bottom