• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best RPGs of all time (PC Gamer)

Darkroronoa

This thread is making me want to play ME2. I have it in my backlog but never got around to finishing the first (which I kinda enjoyed). I've heard a lot of good things about it so its kinda weird seeing the game be so quickly dismissed from this list by so many here.

Its a good game but the plot is like a big filler on the main plot and the gameplay is a corridor shooter.

Freeman

Banned
What pisses me about Dragon Age 2 (aside from the fact that is was a rushed game and had reused sections,etc) is that people use that "A for awesome" when that its actually a very clever segment of the game one of its best parts.

Tagyhag

Top 4 is great and then it starts to go downhill, fast.

Excluding order, they did a great job of mentioning some classics at least.

Ralemont

not me
What pisses me about Dragon Age 2 (aside from the fact that is was a rushed game and had reused sections,etc) is that people use that "A for awesome" when that its actually a very clever segment of the game one of its best parts.

While I agree that it's a clever part of the game, wasn't that quote a dev talking about the entire game, and not just the faux-intro?

LordJim

Also hyperbole. Like come on, neither of you have encountered actual terrible writing in a game before?

You have what Bioware considers witty banter between characters where everyone but Varic)and somewhat the siblings) is a singular trait defined companion, being limited to 3 personalities for the lead with 3 types of short responses to severely limit dialogue in a game with some of the most ineffectual choices ever.

Yes, there are games with worse writing, does not make it any less shit

Yes. It has the best writing, characters and storytelling of any videogame. It basically shit on every production ever and it's on the same level of a book.

GAF often comes close to getting me to play Planescape:Torment, but I just don't think I care enough about stories in games.

On the same level as a book? But all books are on the same level as a book. Why don't I just read a book?

Freeman

Banned
While I agree that it's a clever part of the game, wasn't that quote a dev talking about the entire game, and not just the faux-intro?

I didn't know it was a quote. Well, Bioware, always disappointing.

GAF often comes close to getting me to play Planescape:Torment, but I just don't think I care enough about stories in games.

On the same level as a book? But all books are on the same level as a book. Why don't I just read a book?

Why play video games when you can play board games or sports?

Not all books are good BTW.

3bdelilah

Banned
ME2 and Skyrim aren't even RPGs, they are action games with a perk system.

What makes an RPG? Serious question since I hear a very, very vocal minority here on GAF regarding Skyrim "not being an RPG". I might be fucked up and I understand RPG's are usually a mix of different things, but one of the biggest aspects is character customisation and progression, right? If you agree with me on that point, how exactly is Skyrim not an RPG? Sure, dialogue was pretty bad, but I'm talking about that one thing in particular. I thought it nailed at least that aspect right. And it might have been streamlined and "mainstreamed", but that doesn't make it any less of an RPG.

conman

More like "some random person's favorite RPGs." Way too idiosyncratic to read like a "best of all time" list. Some really bad choices. ME2 and Skyrim have no business being in the top ten, and if people are going to include System Shock 2 in a list of "RPGs," they may as well start including things like GTA Vice City. I'm all for expanding the definition, but do it with some consistency.

The fact that Skyrim is on there over Morrowind or Oblivion is confusing. What did the writer like about Skyrim over the others? If it's shallow quests and prettier graphics I can see why it's on there.

Freeman

Banned
What makes an RPG? Serious question since I hear a very, very vocal minority here on GAF regarding Skyrim "not being an RPG". I might be fucked up and I understand RPG's are usually a mix of different things, but one of the biggest aspects is character customisation and progression, right? If you agree with me on that point, how exactly is Skyrim not an RPG? Sure, dialogue was pretty bad, but I'm talking about that one thing in particular. I thought it nailed at least that aspect right. And it might have been streamlined and "mainstreamed", but that doesn't make it any less of an RPG.
If ME isn't an RPG than Dragon Age isn't an RPG.

If Dragon Age isn't a RPG, I don't think we can say BG is a RPG. Then what is a RPG?

Interfectum

That is a pretty damn good list for a mainstream publication:
- Top 4 are particularly good
- They didn't forget about Ultima VII or VTM:Bloodlines
- They put Divinity OS on there
- FNV over FO3 and KOTOR2 over 1, right on!

The most out-of-place entry by far is ME2, must have been a brain fart. Still, surprisingly solid list.

My thoughts as well.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
4. Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition - forth ? really ? just a hard die die die game
5. Mass Effect 2 - I love ME...but it's to much action for a spot like this in a rpg list
25. South Park: The Stick of Truth - so this is better than NWN ?

turcy

wait, is Anachronox worth playing?

i remember following that game's development for SO LONG, and then just forgetting to ever play it - SHOULD I PLAY IT GAF?!?!?!?

Tagyhag

Because you can't play books (Unless you count those Goosebumps choose your own story ones) and because there is no GOOD Planescape Torment book.

4. Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition - forth ? really ? just a hard die die die game
5. Mass Effect 2 - I love ME...but it's to much action for a spot like this in a rpg list
25. South Park: The Stick of Truth - so this is better than NWN ?

It sounds like you've just heard of Dark Souls and not actually played it.

Taruranto

Because you like RPG and videogames? I dunno, why you shouldn't? Weird question.

wait, is Anachronox worth playing?

One of the party members is an entire planet.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines not in the top 5? Eeesh.

Also I love Skyrim but saying it's a better RPG than Morrowind or Daggerfall is absurd.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
It sounds like you've just heard of Dark Souls and not actually played it.

I played it...just found it boring. I know it's a important game thow.

Zweizer

Banned
Top 4 is pretty good. The rest is... debatable.

But hey, I'm happy enough they put the greatest game ever made as the #1.

Ralemont

not me
You have what Bioware considers witty banter between characters where everyone but Varic)and somewhat the siblings) is a singular trait defined companion, being limited to 3 personalities for the lead with 3 types of short responses to severely limit dialogue in a game with some of the most ineffectual choices ever.

Yes, there are games with worse writing, does not make it any less shit

This isn't the thread for this, but I think you're being severely reductionist in your analysis of the characters and the dialogue wheel.

RMI

Banned
#1 Planescape Torment. Well at least they got that right. The top 4 are actually pretty solid, and then you get into silliness like Diablo 3 even being near this list. I went back to try that game recently and it was still an abomination.

where is xenoblade?

PC gamer list is not giving a shit about the Wii.

Kacho

Some questionable choices on that list no doubt. I'm okay with New Vegas on there though. I adore that game very much.

3bdelilah

Banned
If ME isn't an RPG than Dragon Age isn't an RPG.

If Dragon Age isn't a RPG, I don't think we can say BG is a RPG. Then what is a RPG?

I agree, it's the question for the ages. It seems almost everyone has their own set of "rules" as to when something is more an RPG than another genre. To me, it's all about character customisation and progression, followed by dialogue and exploration. But I'm not really sure what the general consensus is, both on GAF and gaming in general.

Your thoughts?

Diablo 2 not being on this list is absolutely insane to me. Interesting that Divinity: Original Sin is on there. I absolutely believe that it will be considered one of the greatest of all time, but maybe it's a bit soon to put it on this list considering how recent of a release it is.

Onyar

What made Skyrim a good RPG is the inmersion, that no other game could do.
Inmersion mean good grafics plus music and enviroment design.
Also the history that Elder Scrolls have is superior than other games in the list, and ofc is a fun game for a lot of people.
The bad points are what everybody know, but actually, three years later a lot of people still playing this game, so isn't that bad, no?

Planescape: Torment & Anachronox are great visual novels/CYOAs but not really very good as games or RPGs. They would be greatly improved if they had been made as point & click adventure games instead.

Freeman

Banned
Unacceptable.

I agree, it's the question for the ages. It seems almost everyone has their own set of "rules" as to when something is more an RPG than another genre. To me, it's all about character customisation and progression, followed by dialogue and exploration. But I'm not really sure what the general consensus is, both on GAF and gaming in general.

Your thoughts?

I don't know. So many RPGs mechanics have being appropriated by other genres. If I was to define it, it would be something like narrative heavy games with emphasis on character progression and exploration(or at least those are the prevalent elements). That would incorporate most CRPGs, action RPGs, JRPGs, etc.

Corsick

Diablo 3 is better than Diablo 2. It wasn't that way after the initial release, but it is definitely better than D2 now. They've put a lot of work into it, and it shows. I can't freaking wait to play it on my PS4. If you haven't played it since release, I suggest getting the expansion and starting it back up. You'll be surprised.

Let it go, Dudes.
RoS is a classic case of going from mediocre or bad to above average and getting praised for the amount of improvement without the end result being any more than decent overall. LoD was more substantive without being a blatant "we're just undoing what was horribly screwed up by our predecessors" type expansion. In all honesty the only thing Diablo 3 did definitively better was combat. Build variety, itemization and skill mechanics are still huge problems in making the game overly simplistic and stagnant. Still, it represents an upward trajectory for the game. That's the good news and why I have some faith left in the team. I await the next expansion with legitimate anticipation.

Sothpaw

Diablo 2 not being on this list is absolutely insane to me. Interesting that Divinity: Original Sin is on there. I absolutely believe that it will be considered one of the greatest of all time, but maybe it's a bit soon to put it on this list considering how recent of a release it is.

Honestly I have played through just about all of the games on that list and I feel like Divinity should have a better spot than #16.

Diablo 3 over Diablo 2 and Titan Quest though...and South Park even being on the list...no.

I am happy they included Dark Souls though.

RMI

Banned
Planescape: Torment & Anachronox are great visual novels/CYOAs but not really very good as games or RPGs. They would be greatly improved if they had been made as point & click adventure games instead.

Never played Anachronox, and it has been a long time since I played Planescape: Torment but I remember the combat being fun and challenging.

I guess I need to play KOTOR 2. KOTOR 1 is one of my favourite games of all time, so to see the second one on the list surprises me.

ME2 is an interesting choice. It's been a few years since I've played them, but I felt ME1 had the better story, even if the Mako was maddening and the sidequests subpar. ME2 seemed to streamline the RPG elements so combat was better, but aside from your party members' dialogue the story was a stepping stone for the third game.

Why do you say that?

Probably because stats and preparation are largely secondary to skill and the game doesn't really present any meaningful RP choices until the very end. That said there are many definitions of RPG. I'm sort of on the fence about it myself, but the Souls series ticks enough RPG trope boxes that I'm comfortable calling it a roleplaying game.

Top Bottom