• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Guardians of the Galaxy’ Opens to $37.8 Million, to Sky-Rocket to $92 Million

“Guardians of the Galaxy” is in a box office universe of its own.

Marvel-Disney’s sci-fi actioner opened to $37.8 million Stateside on Friday. It looks to sky-rocket to $92 million-plus this weekend, which would crush the record for August’s top debut, currently held by “The Bourne Ultimatum’s” $69.3 million launch in 2007. With the pic originally tracking for $65 million, this showing was far from unexpected.

The blockbuster also has the widest August opening in history, playing in 4,080 theaters (about 3,200 in 3D).

Only five movies have opened above $90 million this year — Paramount’s “Transformers: Age of Extinction” with $100 million, Marvel-Disney’s “Captain America: The Winter soldier” with $95 million, Warner-Legendary’s “Godzilla” with $93 million, Sony’s “Amazing Spider-Man 2″ with $91.6 million, and Fox’s “X-Men: Days of Future Past” with $90.8 million.

“Guardians” had the highest Thursday opening of the year earlier this week with $11.2 million, overtaking the “Captain America” sequel, which earned $10.2 million in April.

The movie has already reeled in $11 million overseas, including $3.5 million in Russia, $2.3 million in the U.K. and Ireland, and $1.6 million from a handful of South and Central American countries.

The intergalactic pic about a rag-tag group of heroes cost $170 million to produce. It’s directed by James Gunn and stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper (the voice of Rocket) and Vin Diesel (the voice of Groot). A sequel has already been slated for July 28, 2017.

Following the “Avengers” bump, “Guardians” is continuing Marvel’s stellar track record of boffo openings. Marvel pics have collectively grossed $6.3 billion since 2008’s “Iron Man,” making it the most successful film franchise after “Harry Potter.” “Guardians” will hopefully lift the summer box office, which is down more than 20% from 2013.

Rotten Tomatoes Score 92%

And now some pulled quotes/predictions from GAF's box office analysts
:

300802d1360010756-surveyor-tim-pitts-not-recommended-eat-crow.jpg

Latino Review: Second Marvel 2014 Movie to be 'Guardians of the Galaxy'
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480437

I have never ever heard of this team before.  I imagine nobody from the mainstream has either.

Me either. *shrugs*

Who the hell are these people(?), and why should I care?

Me neither. The name sounds like it was created by a child.

...really?  They don't have enough potential AAA Marvel properties to play off of?

Well, I guess since so many of their franchises are in other studios' hands...

The day I see Rocket Raccoon onscreen is the day I believe this.

Are we seriously discussing a major motion picture with a character called "Rocket Raccoon"? I feel like I'm taking crazy-pills here.

Zoe Saldana cast as Gamora in Marvel's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534222

I know people are going to disagree with me but
I think this will bomb big time.

this is going to be Marvel's Green Lantern

I'll still watch for Chris Pratt.

'Guardians of the Galaxy' has wrapped production

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697066

I have a sneaky suspicion this is going to be the first Marvel movie to bomb, or at least come in way under normal Marvel money.

DerZuhälter;86029786 said:
No one wants to see a CG racoon.

First Guardians of the Galaxy set pictures

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650067

I really think this movie is going to underperform.

This is going to bomb so hard.

This is going to megabomb. holy crap it looks like some sort of parody sci-fi film :(

Christ that looks bad. Is that a Na'vi I see in the first pic?

It's a big budget sci fi film based on some shit nobody has heard of, that almost certainly won't appeal to a female audience. Of course it's going to bomb.

This has Scott Pilgrim-level flop written all over it.  Extreme Internet and geek hype but little mainstream attention which could translate to a 15 million dollar opening weekend.

Predict the biggest box office bomb of summer 2014

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=828028&highlight=box+office+bomb

Guardians of the Galaxy

Its going to be Guardians of the Galaxy.

Guardians of The Galaxy.

Yeah.

What even is this? Looks like some off-brand kids show and one of them is a raccoon and another is a tree.

Jupiter and Guardians fit the bill at this time. The latter having a ton of pressure because it will be something that all studios look at when thinking about producing an out there comic book movie.

Ted was the highest grossing R rated comedy of all time.

The bombs will be Jupiter Ascending, which will hopefully finally end the Wachowski brothers careers & probably Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvels first mega bomb.

Tom Cruise, Malificent and Guardians of the Galaxy

This one. Unless it gets 90%+ rotten tomatoes or insane word of mouth, I don't see it making that much, 350 mil at most.

I feel like maleficient will attract females to it. Edge of tomorrow on the other hand feels like a knock off super hero movie in time where there are plenty better choices to choose from.

and GotG needs a better trailer if it doesn't want to bomb.

Guardians will be the new Scott Pilgrim.

Nopes, GotG will barely break the 500M mark.

Edge of Tomorrow will be the biggest flop.

GOTG will probably do something in the $150m - $175m range.

Based on what? The Marvel brand alone?

I think it'll do well, but I hardly think it'll be "huge".

I want to like GOTG, but here's my problem....

It's a FUCKING RACOON! I just can't take it seriously, at all. I know its a comedy of sorts, but its also supposed to fit in the same universe as Captain America: TWS and Iron Man. Am I the only one having a really hard time picturing RDJ's Tony Stark talking to a raccoon, without it be eyeball roll inducing?

I mean, it's a RACOON. I'm picturing Rocket sitting around the table on the Helicarrier with the Avengers, and man does it seem dumb. Oh well, still hope the movie is fun, regardless.

I'm thinking GOTG will end up like Pacific Rim. Lots of internet hype but not much outside of that.

Galaxy guardians. That current trailer is terrible and john c Reilly won't be able to carry it.

Guardians of the Galaxy will bomb, it just looks so bad. All of my friends who are pretty big marvel comic fans say its terrible and the other friends who just like the marvel movies says it looks terrible. The main guy also looks like a non-funny skinner Seth Rogen that is trying to be funny, plus the racoon is just a bad idea. Who is this movie for? The edge of tomorrow also looks bad, but Tom Cruise probabky sells, Herclues could go either way.

Some of the effects work in the latest Guardians trailer looks super fucking cheap.

Guardians of Galaxy has stink bomb written all over it.

Guardians of the Galaxy gonna tank so haaaaaaaaaaaaard baby.

Public aint ready to go watch talking racoons and trees and shit. At least not the way GotG has been advertised. This shits gonna brick like crazy.

Yeah I think GoTG is also a contender for flop. But there's that Marvel logo and it had big explosions in the trailer, so who knows.

I'm putting a vote in for Guardians of the Galaxy.
It might do fine, but I think it will be far below marvels expectations.

I am fully ready to eat crow on this though, but I could see it turning out like Scott Pilgrim.

giphy.gif

3945520-4046381932-rocke.gif

I haven't said anything negative about the movie. But i'll eat some crow anyways because i would have never guessed it would do that good.

Darklord

Banned
Comic books or not it looked like a super fun sci-fi movie and a lot more interesting than yet another Captain America or Iron Man. I really love the poster for it too, it kinda reminds me of Star Wars in a way.

Amir0x

Banned
Damn, I didn't know we could make crow threads anymore. I totally should make my "eat crow folks who said Kinect would never be removed from XBO package people" thread :(

anyway, I didn't think it'd too as well as a normal Marvel film, but I didn't think it'd be a flop either. I guess I deserve to eat like maybe a crows foot or something.

Kusagari

Please tell me why the hell my quote is in there?

Whoever I was replying to, don't remember, was saying Guardians would be like Scott Pilgrim and I said Guardians would gross more it's first week than Scott Pilgrim did lifetime.

How does that entail me eating crow?

I don't feel bad. The movie performing like every other next level release is good for all the comic book movies currently in developmental hell.

Amir0x

Banned

Whoever I was replying to, don't remember, was saying Guardians would be like Scott Pilgrim and I said Guardians would gross more it's first week than Scott Pilgrim did lifetime.

Haha, that is true. You totally should not be eating any crow for real lol

btkadams

I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP. Yours shouldn't be there.

Rooster12

Comic books or not it looked like a super fun sci-fi movie and a lot more interesting than yet another Captain America or Iron Man. I really love the poster for it too, it kinda reminds me of Star Wars in a way.

They left out my favorite GOTG character though....

680499-major_victory.png

Ironically he has Cap's shield

Dalek

Fair enough!! I'll edit.

Amir0x

Banned
Also, Scullibundo saying the special effects look cheap in the trailer does not entitle him to eat crow either. The movie performing well does not mean his opinion about the special effects is wrong.

Dude, I think you should go reevaluate some of the quotes you used

Zeliard

Biggest crow eating of all time.

I tried to tell people back then about Avatar. I tried to tell 'em:

Avatar is going to have a bigger opening than people expect. The word-of-mouth rumbling has already begun. It'll soon turn into a roar. The film will be the "can't-miss" event of the holidays and a lot of people are going to want to see it as soon as they can so they can be a part of the excitement.

I really don't think it's as a big a deal as you and others are making it seem. We all desperately want to see a trailer, but the "general public" will go see if based solely on it being a rare James Cameron film, and the pretty 3D visuals. They aren't that hard to appease. It probably would not have hurt if they had started marketing it earlier, but I don't think it's necessary other than to appease people like us.

Again, I'm having a very difficult time seeing this movie struggling at the box office. It's going to be gigantic. Is it going to be good? That's what remains to be seen, and that's the big question mark at this point.

Buncha pessimists. :D

If the movie does live up to the hype and sets a new standard for film-making tech, people will go see it in droves even if they have no idea what it is right now. These sorts of huge tech undertakings are often seen as a big can't-miss event, ala Jurassic Park.

If it's your typical 3D movie, then I'd agree that it may not do that well. If it's something more, it will be huge. It isn't just Cameron's name that will do it, but even moreso the type of movie it potentially is.

I'll eat some crow if it bombs at the box office. I just really don't see that happening.

Jarmel

Banned
Well I wasn't necessarily wrong about nobody hearing about the team before but whatever I'll eat crow on this. Yea I wouldn't have dreamed that this would do anywhere near this well.

Then again, this has been a completely dead year for summer blockbusters so I'm not that surprised that GotG did this well in the drought.

I-hate-u

I knew this movie would be awesome because ate crow after I saw Raccoon in Umvc3. I thought why they would waste a character slot on him, but he was incredible.

Fbh

I LOVED the movie but I'm still not sure how it will perform worldwide.

Here in Chile marvel movies generally do really well. The first weekend it's a pain to go watch them because there is allways a lot of people, and you have to stand in big lines and buy the tickets super early.

But I went to watch it yeasterday (you know, friday night when it's generally full) and I was actually surprised that other than me and some friends there were only like 10 other people.
I mean, hey it's allways great when it's not full but I was really surprised. Mabye it's because it isn't a very known marvel franchise?

But I'm glad it's doing really well in the US. It's BY FAR the best movie Marvel has done (yet) and deserves to get good number

only a fool would have said it wouldn't make money

whether it would be good or not I think it could be healthy to have that skepticism

but making money was guaranteed with the marvel track record right now

I didn't know anything about this movie btw, but just seeing Chris Pratt's face linked to it I want to see it. Love that dude he is awesome on Parks and Rec.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I didn't say it would bomb, I said I doubt anyone in new the mainstream had heard of it before which was true. OP needs to spend more time reading some of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom