• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes on PS4 triples Xbox One version sales

Bundy

Banned
Metal Gear Solid on PS4 triples Xbox One version sales

MGS V: Ground Zeroes, pachinko drive publisher's modest growth for first quarter.

The Metal Gear Solid series has always been most closely associated with Sony's PlayStation consoles, and that trend appears to be following through into the current generation. Konami today reported its financial results for the three months ended June 30, revealing in the process that the multiplatform Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes sold three times as many copies on PlayStation 4 as it did on Xbox One during the first fiscal quarter.

Ground Zeroes is the only title Konami has released on the new systems to date, and the publisher reported PS4 sales made up 12 percent of the total copies of PC and console games sold during the quarter, compared to the Xbox One's 4 percent share. Ground Zeroes launched in March, near the end of Konami's previous fiscal year. Despite coming in under the wire, the PS4 version of the game still accounted for 8 percent of the publisher's games sold that year, while the Xbox One version made up 3 percent of sales.

The latest Metal Gear Solid also helped push Konami's revenues up for the latest quarter, as the company reported sales up 6.6 percent to ¥48.61 billion ($472.6 million), with net income up 45.6 percent to ¥1.36 billion ($13.2 million). Games from the Metal Gear franchise sold 570,000 copies for the quarter, up from 190,000 the year before. However, the big boost to revenues came from Konami's pachinko business, which was up 400 percent to ¥3.5 billion ($34 million).

Full article here

shanafan

I like to see the sales numbers behind PS3 and Xbox 360.

Obvious PS4 outsold the Xbox One because MGS: Ground Zeroes came out when the Xbox One was really struggling.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Not the least bit surprising, has always been considered a playstation franchise and until a few years ago was playstation exclusive.

Edit: Just Wikipedia'd it and found out I am wrong technically. MGS 2 had a release on the Xbox a year later and MGS 3 had HD ports.

th4tguy

Not the least bit surprising, has always been considered a playstation franchise and until a few years ago was playstation exclusive.

No, the only exclusive MGS game thus far was mgs4. Every other one has been on multiple consoles. Some were not even originally on ps ( non solid mg games).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
That's a shame since the PS4 version doesn't have a Platinum trophy yet Xbox One version has the full 1000/1000 gs Achievements.

Skele7on

Banned
It's not PS4 3:1 Xbox One it's PS3/PS4 that is 3:1 against the 360/One.

The quote makes it sound entirely different. BUT

I'm still not even shocked. The only MGS games that xbox people have ever seen

MGS2, that would have been weird as hell if you haven't played the others

and metal gear revengeance a hack and slash game which was ridiculously hard.

sphinx

the piano man
is there any multiplat that has sold more or equal to PS4 on X1??

I thought 3:1 on favor of PS4 was always expected and pretty standard by now.

dunno, just my impresion

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Not exactly surprising, given the sales disparity and the fact that the franchise has largely been PS-allied.

shandy706

Wow...who would have thought that would happen?!!

/s

The quote makes it sound entirely different. BUT

I'm still not even shocked. The only MGS games that xbox people have ever seen

MGS2, that would have been weird as hell if you haven't played the others

and metal gear revengeance a hack and slash game which was ridiculously hard.

People that bought an Xbox can't buy other hardware?

Also, there are 5 or 6 Metal Gear games on the Xbox 360.

Chobel

It's not PS4 3:1 Xbox One it's PS3/PS4 that is 3:1 against the 360/One.

Nope, It's PS4 3:1 Xbox One.
Ground Zeroes is the only title Konami has released on the new systems to date, and the publisher reported PS4 sales made up 12 percent of the total copies of PC and console games sold during the quarter, compared to the Xbox One's 4 percent share

It has been traditionally a PS franchise... I think many fans are sticking with that (myself included, even though I have an Xbox One)

dhonk

Dude MGS2 came out on XBox.

Numbers aren't surprising considering hardware sales.

You'll still find that people consider it a Playstation franchise.

How many people had their first MGS experience with the HD collection? I doubt its a large number, considering it doesn't even include the first game.

Skele7on

Banned
Wow...who would have thought that would happen?!!

/s

People that bought an Xbox can't buy other hardware?

Also, there are 5 or 6 Metal Gear games on the Xbox 360.

LOL mannnnnnnnnnnn I TOTALLY forgot HD collection happened.

SMH

SORRY GAF.

I am the guard that shit himself.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
No, the only exclusive MGS game thus far was mgs4. Every other one has been on multiple consoles. Some were not even originally on ps ( non solid mg games).
Nope not true. The first one was exclusive to the playstation, the second one was until they released a subsistence later on, the third one was until an HD port. It is now everything due to the HD collection.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Phil? Answer me. Phiiil? PHIIIIIIIIIIL?

(SCNR)

I have a feeling there is going to be PS4 co-marketing for the game too. There was a big PS4/MGS5 banner at E3 anyway along with Batman and stuff.

Definitely wouldn't surprise me. I actually wonder why MS shows Metal Gear stuff at the conference when it doesn't come with co-marketing. I remember when Rising was linked to the 360, then all of a sudden Sony and Konami started announcing co-marketing deals for it. And now it looks like the same is going to happen with TPP.

icespide

Banned
Depends. Should a console fan base feel pride in knowing they're more like to spend forty dollars on what is essentially a over-bloated demo? I would say no, but that's up to you to decide.

it was $30 and it's hardly a demo but I digress

shandy706

LOL mannnnnnnnnnnn I TOTALLY forgot HD collection happened.

SMH

SORRY GAF.

I am the guard that shit himself.

LOL..it's not that big a deal. A lot of people do see it as a Sony franchise even if it's elsewhere. That thought is somewhat accurate.

You know we have to referee posts way too closely around here.

mlouid.jpg

"Yep...looks good...no details missing"

I might be wrong but looking at their charts, around 44% of the games sold were MG, with PS4+XBONE accounting for 16 of that 44.

So majority of MG sales this Q were PS3+X360. Maximum xbox 360 can account for is 8%, but should be less assuming other titles were selling some units on 360.
Soo PS3 sales were at least 45% of all GZ this quarter.

You'll still find that people consider it a Playstation franchise.

How many people had their first MGS experience with the HD collection? I doubt its a large number, considering it doesn't even include the first game.

You'd be surprised. Even here on GAF I've seen quite a few people posting about jumping into the series for the first time recently.

I mean, if the first MGS being on PlayStation makes it a PlayStation franchise, an argument can be made that it was a Nintendo franchise before that. If one were so inclined.

I dunno. I think it's silly trying to claim some kind of formerly exclusive bragging rights now that third party exclusives are all but dead and the only game in the franchise to only appear on one system was MGS4 in the first place (excluding dreck like Portable Ops and the Ac!d games).

Top Bottom